What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 waiver thread (2 Viewers)

So I am going to drop the Saints D and also thinking of dropping K Wil Lutz because he only seems to kick extra points. Now I don't know if I should waste my waiver spot on a streaming Defense and a Kicker. The defenses that I would consider are Chicago, Atlanta, and Arizona and I like Butker and Carlson as the Kicker options. I am thinking of just waiting after the waiver period ends and just picking the best option up and not using a waiver. 

Greg Olsen owner here. I am targeting:

1. George Kittle (looks like Garappolo might be regressing, which means lots of checkdowns to his safety net)
2. Ian Thomas (Panthers are high on him...why not give him a shot?)
3. Jonnu Smith (Walker's replacement. I don't see them making a wholesale change to the offense, so Smith should get a healthy number of looks)

The Panthers also have Chris Manhertz at TE, who had been projected to be their #2 before breaking his foot and getting placed on the PUP list earlier this year. But he's back now so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up overtaking Thomas.
regressing?

Garoppolo had a 96.2 passer rating the last 5 weeks of 2017. I understand that Minnesota is a stud defense, so I'm not going to write him off just yet. But 3 interceptions and 45% completion percentage is cause for concern.

Either way, Kittle had the 3rd-most targets for all TEs yesterday (behind only Ertz and Doyle). I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

Garoppolo had a 96.2 passer rating the last 5 weeks of 2017. I understand that Minnesota is a stud defense, so I'm not going to write him off just yet. But 3 interceptions and 45% completion percentage is cause for concern.

Either way, Kittle had the 3rd-most targets for all TEs yesterday (behind only Ertz and Doyle). I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.
check in when he lights up the lions next week at home.....

Greg Olsen owner here. I am targeting:

1. George Kittle (looks like Garappolo might be regressing, which means lots of checkdowns to his safety net)
2. Ian Thomas (Panthers are high on him...why not give him a shot?)
3. Jonnu Smith (Walker's replacement. I don't see them making a wholesale change to the offense, so Smith should get a healthy number of looks)

The Panthers also have Chris Manhertz at TE, who had been projected to be their #2 before breaking his foot and getting placed on the PUP list earlier this year. But he's back now so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up overtaking Thomas.
Manhertz is mostly used a blocker and rarely in the passing game.  He played in 16 games last season and only had two catches.  Ian Thomas is very raw, but has impressed everyone this offseason.  I don't see him having a ton of volume in the passing game, but he I could him picking up 3-4 catches with the possibility to break a long one or score a TD.  I'm leaving him on the wire, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him become a hot WW priority add in a couple weeks if Olsen is out a while.

So I am going to drop the Saints D and also thinking of dropping K Wil Lutz because he only seems to kick extra points. Now I don't know if I should waste my waiver spot on a streaming Defense and a Kicker. The defenses that I would consider are Chicago, Atlanta, and Arizona and I like Butker and Carlson as the Kicker options. I am thinking of just waiting after the waiver period ends and just picking the best option up and not using a waiver. 

For defenses just stream whomever is playing a) Buffalo, or b) Arizona, or c) Dallas, every week.

I agree. I thought JG looked good for the most part.  He made some mistakes but that's a tough defense on the road.  I thought the Vikings would blow them out.  I was impressed with the niners yesterday in a tough place to play against a very good team.
People overrreacting to his performance. I expected even less against the Vikings. I think it’s a win. That’s the best defense he has faced so far in the NFL. And he didn’t have his go to receiver (Goodwin) at full health. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If Enunwa is out there I think you could do a lot worse from a consistency standpoint. Especially ppr. Currently has more targets than the rest of the team combined - I love guys who are target hogs. Unfortunately, he went in the 24th of our draft. 

People overrreacting to his performance. I expected even less against the Vikings. I think it’s a win. That’s the best defense he has faced so far in the NFL. And he didn’t have his go to at full health. 
I was very impressed with his composure in the pocket.  He never takes his eyes off downfield, no matter what kind of rush he has coming at him.  

I think the Niners really have something there.  The team needs to fill some holes but they have the makings of being something special.

haven't seen his name here, but KEnny Stills was open ALL DAY LONG.had 2 TDs, would've had a third if Tannehill didnt throw it in the wrond direction - Stills was wide open, deep ..anyways , those recs that were aimed for J. Landry have to go somewhere. looks like Gase is taking his shots down the field

Ravens - J. Brown

Golladay

Aaron Jones maybe?  - watching J. Williams last night was painful

problem is this, the first week of the NFL season leaves a lot to be desired.always. because they dont train hard and union rules against such things, they don't start getting dialed in until week 2/3..so rushing out to get the hot commodity after week 1 is dangerous..the guy you drop might just bust out in the coming weeks..I wouldnt be so quick to drop Alex Collins as someone hinted at..they pulled him early since they had such a lead.and such a strong defense..

Lewis was likely drafted in almost every league, which is why he isn’t getting mentioned.
Even in 120-team leagues?
Lewis had an average draft position of around 80th overall, which means that he would have been drafted in virtually every league with 6 or more teams.

P.S. you did the joke backwards. In 120-team leagues Lewis would have been a 1st-round pick.

haven't seen his name here, but KEnny Stills was open ALL DAY LONG.had 2 TDs, would've had a third if Tannehill didnt throw it in the wrond direction - Stills was wide open, deep ..anyways , those recs that were aimed for J. Landry have to go somewhere. looks like Gase is taking his shots down the field

Ravens - J. Brown

Golladay

problem is this, the first week of the NFL season leaves a lot to be desired.always. because they dont train hard and union rules against such things, they don't start getting dialed in until week 2/3..so rushing out to get the hot commodity after week 1 is dangerous..the guy you drop might just bust out in the coming weeks..I wouldnt be so quick to drop Alex Collins as someone hinted at..they pulled him early since they had such a lead.and such a strong defense..
I agree, if John Brown is available on your Waiver Wire go get him.

Elevencents said:
If Enunwa is out there I think you could do a lot worse from a consistency standpoint. Especially ppr. Currently has more targets than the rest of the team combined - I love guys who are target hogs. Unfortunately, he went in the 24th of our draft. 
Yep, seems like Darnold was locked in om him.  Unfortunately, he went in the 30th round in our draft.

Ravens - J. Brown

Golladay

Again, these guys were likely all drafted.  Stills for sure won't be on any waiver wires.

QBs - 

Keenum - for streaming.  Plays OAK. Looked pretty decent. Has weapons.  

Tyrod - streamer.  plays NO.  High floor BC of rushing.  Who knows when the browns turn to mayfield.  

RBs - 

p. Lindsay - looked very good. 15 carries and invloved in rec game.  Looks to have surpassed booker.  Clear handcuff and maybe rotational back with freeman.  Probably too ww add this week BC RBS are so scarce.  

N Hines - looks to be carving out a Darren Sproles type role in an offense that will use him llenty all season BC their defense sucks and they will be playing from behind and/or in shootouts all year.  Wilkins was meh.  Mack comes back but I think that hurts Wilkins more than Hines.  

WRs - 

B-Marsh - everyone is on him and Lockett now.  I would pivot and go:

David Moore - preseason darling.  Relatively unknown.  Should get his chances with Baldwin out.  Dark horse.  

Godwin, j. Ross, g. Allison, all likely rostered in 12+ team leagues but if available obviously go hard on all of them BC they will all be breakouts this year.  

TEs - 

Jared Cook - we’ve all been burned by him but this is a new coach, new offense, and his next 3 opponents are just as TE friendly as tee rams. 

Jonnu Smith - delanie gone.  Easy pick.  If mariota is out the backup night make smith even better BC Smith was likely playing a lot with him with walker as starter.  Bet they have chemistry.  

Im sure I forgot a bunch.  This is just off top of my head.   

All in all, I don’t see any player from week 1 worth blowing a ton of FAAB or #1 we pick on.  

Johnnymac said:
I was impressed with the niners yesterday in a tough place to play against a very good team.
Agreed -- the 49ers played tough at arguably the best team in the NFL and had a chance to overcome a bad day right until the end. 

If you get a second bite at Waivers this week, look for players being tossed aside early. John Ross (2 targets, 1 3 yrd TD) comes to mind.
:goodposting:

I've gone back a few years in both my CBS leagues, and I've found it's generally a coin flip whether the Week 1 WW pickups or the (healthy) players dropped to pick them up finish with better stats by season's end.

Going for Lindsay or James White while tossing Mariota back to the scrap heap. When I need a QB streamer in week 7, I'll figure it out then. Like Enunwa as well but already rostering Anderson. I'll wait to see what happens there when a shutdown corner like Slay isn't involved.

A question I have as we try to discern who coming out of week one is fools gold vs a true lode strike is also who to drop.

For example, Lindsay looks like he could demand carries and a role if Denver continues to devolve into pure RBBC, but will he have more value long term than a Gio Bernard, whose stock was hit hard with Mixon's ascendence, but may still have a role in PPR and is still a good injury stash.

Who are you getting comfortable cutting this week, knowing it's just week one?

A question I have as we try to discern who coming out of week one is fools gold vs a true lode strike is also who to drop.

For example, Lindsay looks like he could demand carries and a role if Denver continues to devolve into pure RBBC, but will he have more value long term than a Gio Bernard, whose stock was hit hard with Mixon's ascendence, but may still have a role in PPR and is still a good injury stash.

Great question posed. I see so many threads/ articles on who to add, but much less on who to drop. That being said, in my 12-team league (3yr keeper, 17-man roster), I intend to put in a bid for Lindsay and of the players on my roster, I'd be fine to drop:

• J. Samuels (added in Yahoo on the chance he'd have some value with Bell out & he has TE eligibility)
  • K. Benjamin (Buf offense is simply terrible)
And in my shorter bench, I'm fine dropping Ronald Jones TB  for him as well. While he could end up being the lead back eventually, he's just non existent right now and I can't afford to carry that dead weight for weeks. 

Lindsay, Enuwa and Allison for me right now.

Have Freeman so Lindsay seems like a need for me.  Yeldon there too...but as a Freeman owner, does Lindsay make more sense (DJ, Collins, Barber, Michel are my other backs)

Lost Baldwin for a bit likely...and with Crabtree and Agholor...would like some more WR depth.

Dropper Eifert and not sure on my 2nd drop at this point.  (have Kittle at TE)

Great question posed. I see so many threads/ articles on who to add, but much less on who to drop. That being said, in my 12-team league (3yr keeper, 17-man roster), I intend to put in a bid for Lindsay and of the players on my roster, I'd be fine to drop:

• J. Samuels (added in Yahoo on the chance he'd have some value with Bell out & he has TE eligibility)
  • K. Benjamin (Buf offense is simply terrible)
And in my shorter bench, I'm fine dropping Ronald Jones TB  for him as well. While he could end up being the lead back eventually, he's just non existent right now and I can't afford to carry that dead weight for weeks. 
Good response and if you need validation, I think all of those drops are very solid if you are getting guys with more proven floors or flashed sustainable upside. Actually, as I look at that list, I don't see tons of risk in dumping them for guys who only have the flash of upside.

Jamaal Williams is on the hot seat. Unimpressive running in week one and already splitting 1/3 series with Montgomery (not just obvious passing situations). Vikings up next and then Aaron Jones comes back. That backfield looking very interchangable. 
Agreed. And I hate it. He’s my #2 in one league. Not giving up just yet, hoping it was mostly game script but he needs to really impress week 2 before Jones comes back and they happily give him the start. I do have Jones moreso than the one league with Williams so not a bad thing. I shouldn’t have made that conflict in the first place. 

So now that I have made that 5 for 5 trade that some of you have replied on and commented that I got screwed pretty bad on my first ever trade, but that is water under the bridge. I no longer need to focus on streaming a defense since I have the Rams now. I also got Melvin Gordon in the trade so my focus on the WW now is to get RB Austin Ekeler as insurance for Gordon. 

Anybody on Dallas besides Zeke can be cut. Frank Gore. Maybe the wash WRs. 

Guys with minor injuries who probably aren’t worth waiting on in standard formats...Mariota for one

Jamaal Williams is on the hot seat. Unimpressive running in week one and already splitting 1/3 series with Montgomery (not just obvious passing situations). Vikings up next and then Aaron Jones comes back. That backfield looking very interchangable. 
Funny - I was going to say Montgomery due to the cluster at RB, plus in the receiving game the possible rejuvenation of Cobb and the emergence of Allison.

Until you see them block.

Williams picked up a key block and that is where Jones has struggled in the past.

In addition, he had some ok runs to mix in...and they were down big so not going to run the ball much of the game either.  It won't get better this week against Minny and it may be a full on 3 back RBBC mess...but I wouldn't just assume Williams is going to lose many series because of his ability to block and with Rodgers hobbled, that will be important IMO.

Anybody on Dallas besides Zeke can be cut. Frank Gore. Maybe the wash WRs. 

Guys with minor injuries who probably aren’t worth waiting on in standard formats...Mariota for one
Yeah, I think I'll be dropping Dak. Also the Chargers D. Looking to grab Quincy or Ekeler. Maybe Bilal Powell who, strangely, went undrafted.

Treadwell was dropped in dynasty. Debating whether or not he is worth a pickup over Murphy.
For what it's worth most of the local sports media feel that Treadwell has very little upside. He is what he is, a guy that is good enough to make a roster and see 2-3 targets per game. Don't bite on the idea he was an early draft pick. He is a role player.

Yeah, I think I'll be dropping Dak. Also the Chargers D. Looking to grab Quincy or Ekeler. Maybe Bilal Powell who, strangely, went undrafted.
This is NOT the week to drop the Chargers D -- they play the Bills next week and could pay off.

After that, maybe -- even with Bosa returning, they may just be a high-end streaming option than a D you should carry all year round. I drafted them and am holding in near term as I think they are solid, and will look to stream going forward.

Powell is stuck in a RBBC committee with Crowell, and they seem to be even usage. 

It's a hot hand thing, so I'd be sure you want to hit a home run here. You can probably get Powell on the cheap given his FA status and Crow's contract. But that's another story. The Jets get out of Crow's contract with a buyout that leaves them with the same cap hit next year as if they were paying these guys. It's the guaranteed money that led Crowell to sign. I forget how it works exactly, but it's pretty clever on the Jets part. Whatever the case, the better back will start and play. I think it's Powell, given the coaching staff's personnel decisions; but their mileage may vary depending on who runs hotter.  

Users who are viewing this thread