What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 15 Defenses (1 Viewer)

Let's keep this to week 15 and summarize. Looks like for week 15 a lot of us are going with either CAR or ARI or DAL or CLE or TB (they just lost Talib). Which Defenses would you start over these?How would you rank these 5?Here's mine:1. CAR2. ARI3. CLE4. DAL5. TB
I just don't see the Panthers as the answer, no matter how bad the Arizona offense is, the Panthers defense is worse IMO. Outside of 1 week, they have allowed 20 points or more in every game. Their pass defense is ok, but their run D is putrid. Did you see how the Seattle offense tore them apart last week? I would not feel confident starting them in the playoffs.My ranking would be:1. DAL2. CLE3. ARI4. TB5. CAR
All of these are available on my WW - this is my firstyear of not staying married to a top 5 defense all year. I really like DAL for weeks 15-16 over anyone else.

I'm going with Atlanta and St Louis the next three weeks

Week 14 - ATL @ CAR

Week 15 - ATL @ SEA

Week 16 - STL @ SF

Week 15 looks iffiest and might gamble by dropping St Louis and picking up Cleveland...hopefully St Louis will still be around for the final week.

howo5 said:
Let's keep this to week 15 and summarize. Looks like for week 15 a lot of us are going with either CAR or ARI or DAL or CLE or TB (they just lost Talib). Which Defenses would you start over these?How would you rank these 5?Here's mine:1. CAR2. ARI3. CLE4. DAL5. TB
Take this idea a step further and rank week 15 defensesKC @ STL BUF @ MIA CLE @ CIN JAC @ IND HOU @ TENWAS @ DALPHI @ NYG ARI @ CARDET @ TBNO @ BAL ATL @ SEA NYJ @ PIT DEN @ OAKCHI @ MINGB @ NE

GoRaiders said:
i've got pitt....so for now looking to go with them vs the jets, steelers shut down the run and sanchez is in trouble when he's forced to pass all the time...........may stick with pitt week after if i make it taking on carolina......got KC on my roster for tenn possible week 16 matchup........
I am in the same boat, don't want to over think it and not run Pitt, only to watch them shut down the Jets. Can you really run CAR or AZ out there for the Semifinals when you got Pitt D on your pine? Tough pill to take right there. I also have CLE D, so a tough call to make.KC? Dude you got Pitt vs CAR Week 16!
I have Pit and plan on sticking with them week 15 & 16 vs NYJ & CAR (duh). But I plan on picking up Dal to block any of my opponents from starting them against me.

Jagerbomber said:
I'm going with Atlanta and St Louis the next three weeks

Week 14 - ATL @ CAR

Week 15 - ATL @ SEA

Week 16 - STL @ SF

Week 15 looks iffiest and might gamble by dropping St Louis and picking up Cleveland...hopefully St Louis will still be around for the final week.
I hate to use a cliche but I will: is ATL @ SEA a trap game?

This may be a Saints fan's wishful thinking but I wonder if travelling to the west coast in cold weather vs a team that absolutely must win to stay in the playoff race, with a decent QB and opportunistic defense and ST doesn't present a real chance for a Seattle win here or a near-win.

That being said I have the ATL DST on my bench and I have not cut them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed claim on Dal so now am deciding bt Miami and maybe Stl.

I rode the jets most the year and plugged seattle last week. Think I am off the jets train for the playoffs.

im in a defense only league but i think both teams playing arizona are no brainers for the two playoff weeks. (CAR then DAL)

I'm slightly worried about CLE week 15. Thinking about grabbing CAR over them because Cincy can put up some points...

CAR won't be able to turn the ball over to Zona if they run all over them all game.

Is anyone planning to play the NYG Defense weeks 15 (vs. PHI) or 16 (@ GB)? They have been solid lately, but I'm thinking about dropping them to get the SD defense who has much better matchups week 15 (vs. SF) and 16 (@ CIN).

I have a bye this week, so I don't need them.

howo5 said:
Let's keep this to week 15 and summarize. Looks like for week 15 a lot of us are going with either CAR or ARI or DAL or CLE or TB (they just lost Talib). Which Defenses would you start over these?

How would you rank these 5?

Here's mine:

1. CAR

2. ARI

3. CLE

4. DAL

5. TB
Take this idea a step further and rank week 15 defenses......
Wheat and chaff:

Wheat:

1. WAS @ DAL - The Boys have looked great; the Skins not.

2. ARI @ CAR - Bad opposing QB meets bad defense. Grab both? Grab either?

3. ARI @ CAR - Bad opposing QB meets bad defense. Grab both? Grab either?

4. ATL @ SEA - ATL looking to seal the division.

5. ATL@ SEA - Possible trap game?

6. CLE @ CIN - Not real confident here.

7. DET @ TB - Yaknow, Detroit can score.

Chaff:

KC @ STL

BUF @ MIA

JAC @ IND

HOU @ TEN

PHI @ NYG

NO @ BAL

NYJ @ PIT

DEN @ OAK

CHI @ MIN

GB @ NE

Clutchfanatic said:
What do you guys think of Miami at home against Buff (15) and Det(16) ??
This kind of reminds me of the ARI/CAR game.MIA has been horrible and is trotting out bad QB play and it's defense has performed badly, but in Miami's case they are playing two offenses in the Bill and Lions who can actually score.

In my league with basic yahoo DST scoring:

Carolina gives up a median of 14.2 points, followed by Arizona (13) and Cleveland (12.6).

If you rank teams by their 4 week average for who gives up the most points:

1. Cin 14.8

2. Was

3. Ind

4. Car

5. Ten

6. Ari 11.8

If you rank teams by their 3 week average:

1.Ind 15.33

2. Was

3. Car

4. Mia

5. Cin

6. Ten

7. Jac

8. Ari 12

I would feel like I was gambling too much to roll with a defense playing either Ind, Cin, Jac. I think the best teams to play against is Was, Car, Ten and Ari.

That is why I think Dallas for weeks 15 & 16 is the best choice if you only have enough spots on your bench for 1 defense.

I have Chicago, but I am worried about rolling with them against Minnesota and the Jets

Re: the Carolina DST, does it matter if Anderson starts?

Any chance that happens?

Any thoughts on the ARI DST vs the CAR DST? The Skelton/Bartel idea seems like a disaster in waiting. But are they playing Week 15? Seems to me if Anderson plays then ARI is the better DST play. If Skelton/Bartel plays, then CAR is the better DST.

>>>A week ago, Richard Bartel was hunting wild hogs in Texas and John Skelton was rooting around for a few snaps at Cardinals practice. On Sunday, one of them could be starting his first NFL game. Or, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt could continue to play Derek Anderson, provided Anderson is cleared to return after suffering a concussion last week.<<<

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...b-decision.html

Our playoffs are 15/16, I've got a spot locked up. Carolina and Dallas already rostered for weeks 15/16 respectively. Sticking to my plan of following Arizona's offense around all year. Has worked very well so far :hophead:
;)

Can't believe the HO HUM Denver D is getting THIS week vs. Red Skelton and the Arizona Clowns. And with Champ locking down AZ's ONLY weapon?

Double digit points in a premium week FOR FREE...

I missed claim on Dal so now am deciding bt Miami and maybe Stl. I rode the jets most the year and plugged seattle last week. Think I am off the jets train for the playoffs.
A case for the jets against the steelers. I had the same thought and picked up car. for my week 15 matchup, but I think I just jumped back on the train. Here is my reasoning...1. Steelers have been struggling offensively over the last few games.2. The bungles def scored 12 points on them in my league this week. Not huge, but decent and they are the bungles.3. The steelers o-line is struggling and allowing ben to be hit and sacked. I could see 3-6 sacks and a possible fumble. 4. The jets run D will stop mendy leading ben to throw a ton towards revis and ac. I can see a pic or 2. 5. Hines Field in Dec. with possible lake effect snow leads to low scoring games.6. The jets need a win or they may miss the playoffs so they will be playing tough. 7. Santonio may give the def some tips on how ben thinks and acts in certain situations. I believe this will be a low scoring defensive battle. I think the jets def can be a top 5 option in week 15. A floor of 8 with a ceiling of 20+ points.

We had a similar discussion in another thread earlier this week. Here were my thoughts on week 15/16:

I'm looking at rolling with the same options as you. I'm looking at it like:

Week 15:

Both Carolina and Arizona make for good starts on paper playing against each other, but which ones the best? Four weeks ago Arizona looked like they were the ticket to a Fantasy Championship, playing Carolina week 15 and a struggling Dallas team week 16. Things have now changed, and although the Carolina matchup still looks ok, it's not looking as great and I'd stay away from Dallas now. The Panthers run game is showing signs of life and this year no team has been worse at stopping the run than Arizona. Carolina will likely look to take advantage of that and limit the amount of throws Clausen makes which takes away from a fantasy defenses value. Arizona has also scored a big chunk of their points off touchdowns, which you can't count on every week.

Carolina's defense is now looking like they're the way to go week 15. They have actually quietly been ok this year, scoring around the same amount of points as NYG/CLE/TB/SD, which comes as a big surprise. They're one of the ten worst defenses against the run, which shouldn't be much of a problem when they only have to stop Hightower and Wells, but are one of the four best against the pass and will likely be facing Skelton or Anderson. Either way, happy days for the Panthers at home against the Cardinals.

-Carolina vs ARI

-Arizona @ CAR

-Dallas vs WAS

-Minnesota vs CHI

-San Diego vs SF (Thursday night)

Week 16:

A revived Dallas team who has been making plays on both sides of the ball will be facing Arizona. Not much to explain there now, and you're obviously happy if you own the Steelers defense.

-Pittsburgh vs CAR

-Dallas @ ARI

-Philadelphia vs MIN

-Tampa Bay vs SEA

The safest bet for next week at this point is clearly Tampa at home against the Lions.

1. When the Lions have been away from home, the opposing defenses they faced averaged 10.3 points.

2. Stanton is an awful passer, and even without Talib, the Bucs will match up well against him.

3. Weak run defense shouldn't be a problem when the most reliable RB the Lions have right now is Maurice Morris.

4. TB knows they must win out to make the playoffs. Veteran leadership in Rhonde Barber should motivate this team to step up and perform well.

I can definitely see Carolina getting decent points at home against the Cards, however I would rather it be against Skelton than Anderson. I don't know about Dallas against the Redskins after watching tonight's game. Torain may shred that run D apart. However, they kept their aggressiveness going tonight with the two picks of Vick, and they do seem like the best option for championship week against Arizona.

I was thinking of dropping TB for CAR but AZ looked decent yesterday. I know it was the Denver D but I would rather have the Bucs against a proven to be awful Stanton. Stanton targeted CJohnson 13 times yesterday and only connected 1 time. That is awful.

Can we get a poll set up
That's actually not a bad idea. I'm sure it will be interesting to see how it turns out with some of the top teams that are being discussed. I am also curious what some of the FBG experts think. Most of us don't have until tuesday or wednesday to pick up the top D on the WW.Any chance anyone who knows what they're doing could possibly set that up?

Anyone worried the Cowboys might mail it in? Playing Indy and PHI is kinda their Super Bowl in a lost year. Playing WAS and ARI - nothing really to prove at this point.

I am starting Carolina for week 15,. I have never in all my FF years have started such a crappy team for the playoffs. Anyone else nervous about this? I have the Cowboys as a backup against WAS.

I'm actually thinkin of sticking with chicago at minn, espeially if it is played outdoors.

Favre won't play again and Jackson doesn't seem to be the answer.

thoughts?

Anyone worried the Cowboys might mail it in? Playing Indy and PHI is kinda their Super Bowl in a lost year. Playing WAS and ARI - nothing really to prove at this point.
I'm sticking with the Cowboys.Playing Vick is hardly a normal game, I consider it an outlier and actually the Cowboys hardly mailed it in vs Philly, they were more than competitive.I have ARI as the backup, might start them vs CAR, I was surprised how under control Skelton was, but there is no way to tell which team will do well in Carolina. Both defenses could do well, maybe neither, maybe either. Thing is I don't want either available to my opponent this weekend should one go off.

I am starting Carolina for week 15,. I have never in all my FF years have started such a crappy team for the playoffs. Anyone else nervous about this? I have the Cowboys as a backup against WAS.
Skelton seemed to manage pretty well vs DEN (yeah, even it was Denver he did ok) and the AZ defense can actually show up and be decent on occasion.If Skelton can do that again then ARI might be the DST to have over the Panthers.But really there is no sure way to tell, both are very shakey starts.

Still planning on going with TB this week (for now) but with McCoy and Black also now done it's getting pretty thin. Thoughts on their replacements from homers?

Still planning on going with TB this week (for now) but with McCoy and Black also now done it's getting pretty thin. Thoughts on their replacements from homers?
Not to mention that the Bucs best CB Talib is out for the season. This defense got shredded by Torrain and if it weren't for foolish coaching on Shanahan's part, they should have punished the Bucs and played downhill on them. I doubt that the Lions win in Tampa, but I don't think the Bucs are a formidable defense by any account. This D is hurting all over.

Good question. I was planning to play them the next couple weeks, but now I'm rethinking. Should I drop them for the Cowboys?

Have Dallas & New England...

Tampa Bay is on waivers...

I will try to grab TB only to block other remaining opponents from grabbing them (just in case they can D-up even with the injury losses)...BUT,

IF, Green Bay does not play Rodgers...NE will be a very solid play...

I rank my choices (if it helps anyone else):

Pats (w/ no Rodgers)

Boys

Bucs

Tampa Bay is tempting, but even against the struggling Redskins they only had 6 fantasy points...they don't seem to score too many fantasy points.

What about the Browns? They seem to get some points pretty consistently, with huge games every now and then. Playing against a Bengals team that is pretty much dead but still showed some life against the Steelers. Do you think that will be a 28-27 no defense game, or a 10-6 defensive struggle?

Not to mention that the Bucs best CB Talib is out for the season. This defense got shredded by Torrain and if it weren't for foolish coaching on Shanahan's part, they should have punished the Bucs and played downhill on them. I doubt that the Lions win in Tampa, but I don't think the Bucs are a formidable defense by any account. This D is hurting all over.
Yeah had talked about this in one of the prior threads...I first got concerned when Talib went out, and seeing a couple more starters go down is even more concerning. I was able to back them up with Dallas, thinking I might end up using them W16 vs ARI but would be hesitant to use them this week. Like I said, still leaning towards TB as I don't see them having a bad enough game where they'll be a detriment, but I no longer see them as a team that could help you win a playoff matchup.

Users who are viewing this thread