What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 16 Weather (1 Viewer)

zoobird

Footballguy
I realize it's really early, but for those able to make trades or waiver wire pickups during the week for their playoffs, this could be useful. It's not getting much hype in the news yet, but the computer models are showing a pretty good chance of heavy snow and high wind for the Min-Phi game on Sunday night. Based on discussion I'm seeing on the weather equivalents of FBG, I'd say it's somewhere between 25-50% likely at this point.

I realize it's really early, but for those able to make trades or waiver wire pickups during the week for their playoffs, this could be useful. It's not getting much hype in the news yet, but the computer models are showing a pretty good chance of heavy snow and high wind for the Min-Phi game on Sunday night. Based on discussion I'm seeing on the weather equivalents of FBG, I'd say it's somewhere between 25-50% likely at this point.
200 yards rushing for vick please

How does this affect Peterson/Gerhart? Might actually level the playing field and keep Min in the game?

My fears for ADP continue to build.

The CLAIM is that the field/weather conditions last week had no bearing on the decision to sit him, but you have to wonder (and wonder some more about THIS week).

Hmmm...

Sunday 12/26/10 :goodposting: Can't hit the beach, but not a Blizzard.

Day

Snow Shower

High

33°F

Precip

40%

Wind: From NE at 9 mph

Humidity: 62%

UV Index: 1 Low

Night

Snow Shower Overnight

Low

25°F

Precip

60%

Wind: From NNE at 14 mph

Humidity: 62%

Sunrise: 7:21 AM ET

Avg. High: 41°F

Record High: 68°F (1964)

Sunset: 4:41 PM ET

Avg. Low: 28°F

Record Low: 3°F (1983)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those links to weather.com are garbage this far out. They're generated automatically from one computer model - in this case the one that is least "optimistic" about the storm hitting the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. They also always seem to have a significant lag behind when the models are published.

This looks increasingly likely. I'm gonna say 50% now. The wind could be really bad too.
First off - it is way too early to tell BUT the weather models I saw last night said we could have anywhere from a large amount of snow to NOTHING!! I will get my snowblower out of the shed on Sunday morning and start it up and let it run for a few minutes to make sure it's ready to go. Up until last winter that ALWAYS guaranteed we would not get snow. Last winter was strange. :bs:

Is zoobird hoping his opponent sees this thread and benches players as a result?

Seriously...blizzard?

"Some" snow being predicted for Sunday. Nothing major...yet. But that's how these things usually happen, it starts out as nothing much, each day it gets bigger, then by they day of we're getting 3ft. So ya never know....

Fast forward to :55

"Some" snow being predicted for Sunday. Nothing major...yet. But that's how these things usually happen, it starts out as nothing much, each day it gets bigger, then by they day of we're getting 3ft. So ya never know....

@0.55 the guy says "some snow" in Philly, but the heavy stuff staying south in Jersey.//////////

Otherwise, this is what ya got:

Sun, Dec 26 2010 01:00 PM EST

Lincoln Financial Field

"Partly Sunny

Temperature: 25/39f"

http://www.nflweather.com/game/2010/week-1...kings-at-eagles

Not good for those starting Joe Webb at WR

Not good for those starting Joe Webb at WR
Why do you say that? I think in some ways it could be very good for that very reason. Broken plays seem more likely but his athleticism seems like that could be a good thing. I am interested in why you think not?

Not trying to fool anyone at all. Different computer models were showing anything from a complete miss (storm going offshore way south) to a 2 foot storm with the worst in Philly around Sunday night. At the moment, most of the models have the storm going off shore without doing much of anything (total miss for Philly), but a pretty small shift in the early part of the storm's track could completely change that. Keep in mind that this is the same storm that dumped close to a foot of rain in parts of California. It's looking increasingly likely that it will NOT impact the mid-atlantic states, but if it does hit it would likely be pretty major.

gethugefast1 said:

@0.55 the guy says "some snow" in Philly, but the heavy stuff staying south in Jersey.//////////

Otherwise, this is what ya got:

Sun, Dec 26 2010 01:00 PM ESTLincoln Financial Field

"Partly Sunny

Temperature: 25/39f"

http://www.nflweather.com/game/2010/week-1...kings-at-eagles
Game's at 4:00
8:20 EST

Would like to chime in here.

Looking at the computer models it now appears that there is a chance that the game between the Eagles and the Vikings could be played in near blizzard conditions. This has been one of the craziest weather systems that I have ever followed. The models have been all over the place all week. Now that we are getting closer to the event, models are beginning to coverge on a snowier solution. The heaviest snow still might be NE of Philly, but this is now a real threat and people should be paying attention.

Would like to chime in here.Looking at the computer models it now appears that there is a chance that the game between the Eagles and the Vikings could be played in near blizzard conditions. This has been one of the craziest weather systems that I have ever followed. The models have been all over the place all week. Now that we are getting closer to the event, models are beginning to coverge on a snowier solution. The heaviest snow still might be NE of Philly, but this is now a real threat and people should be paying attention.
Weather.com states that there are "a few snow showers possible" for Sunday night, chance of percipitation at 30%. I wouldn't call these "blizzard conditions," lol.

Would like to chime in here.Looking at the computer models it now appears that there is a chance that the game between the Eagles and the Vikings could be played in near blizzard conditions. This has been one of the craziest weather systems that I have ever followed. The models have been all over the place all week. Now that we are getting closer to the event, models are beginning to coverge on a snowier solution. The heaviest snow still might be NE of Philly, but this is now a real threat and people should be paying attention.
Weather.com states that there are "a few snow showers possible" for Sunday night, chance of percipitation at 30%. I wouldn't call these "blizzard conditions," lol.
Could care less what weather.com says. This is my prediction based on my knowledge of weather and ability to read computer models.

Could care less what weather.com says. This is my prediction based on my knowledge of weather and ability to read computer models.
I would say your knowledge and ability need work. There isn't gonna be a blizzard in Philadelphia Sunday. Guaranteed.

The people who actually do know what they're talking about are being super polite to the people who don't in this thread. Merry Christmas, I guess.

Possibly monster storm winding up for the I-95 corridor (esp Philly and north) right now. If it misses it will only be a few miles too far out to sea. Forecasters have been struggling for five days to nail the track and they still don't have it 36 hours out.

I would say your knowledge and ability need work. There isn't gonna be a blizzard in Philadelphia Sunday. Guaranteed.
Nothing I said warranted that kind of response. No reason to be that bitter/ nasty towards me. I felt it was in my best interest to alert the board of the potential since many people will have Vick and Co in their championship game. If you can't handle that, then that is your issue and I truly feel sorry for you.

So your telling me I can't trust the weather channel ?

I just looked it up and it said snow tapers off ending around 6 PM and from 8 PM - 12 PM the game time hours the wind is going to be 6-8 mph with 10% chance of precip approx 27 deg F.

So who do we believe this weather channel site or people coming on here claiming the biggest blizzard in the history of man kind is coming to town ?

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/...&begDay=360

Sunday, December 26

8 pm

27°F

Mostly Cloudy

10% chance of precip

NNW 6 mph

I just looked it up and it said snow tapers off ending around 6 PM and from 8 PM - 12 PM the game time hours the wind is going to be 6-8 mph with 10% chance of precip approx 27 deg F.

So who do we believe this weather channel site or people coming on here claiming the biggest blizzard in the history of man kind is coming to town ?

Sunday, December 26

8 pm

27°F

Mostly Cloudy

10% chance of precip

NNW 6 mph
I never said the biggest blizzard in man kind or whatever you think. All I am saying is that this is a snowstorm that will catch many people by surprise. The Weather Channel forecast is mainly computer driven+ it hasn't been updated since the latest model runs.All of the latest forecast models: NAM, GFS, RGEM, EURO to name a few have trended further west and bring heavy snow to much of the I-95 corridor especially from PHL-BOS.

Listen to whoever you would like. I feel no need to prove anything, but don't be surpised come Sunday. And if this were to fall apart then I would have no shame coming back and saying that I was wrong, etc...

Sunday, December 26

8 pm

27°F

Mostly Cloudy

10% chance of precip

NNW 6 mph
I never said the biggest blizzard in man kind or whatever you think. All I am saying is that this is a snowstorm that will catch many people by surprise. The Weather Channel forecast is mainly computer driven+ it hasn't been updated since the latest model runs.All of the latest forecast models: NAM, GFS, RGEM, EURO to name a few have trended further west and bring heavy snow to much of the I-95 corridor especially from PHL-BOS.

Listen to whoever you would like. I feel no need to prove anything, but don't be surpised come Sunday. And if this were to fall apart then I would have no shame coming back and saying that I was wrong, etc...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.It sounds like you've been studying meteorology for quite a while. Are the other source(s) just behind the curve here, or is this a unique type of system?

BTW - here in Maryland they're just saying flurries at best.

Sunday, December 26

8 pm

27°F

Mostly Cloudy

10% chance of precip

NNW 6 mph

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.It sounds like you've been studying meteorology for quite a while. Are the other source(s) just behind the curve here, or is this a unique type of system?

BTW - here in Maryland they're just saying flurries at best.
A big reason for this is that this is a very unique situation unlike most other storms we've seen through the years. This type of system involves the phasing of 3 seperate pieces of energy. One over the Gulf, another over the Midwest and a third in Canada. It requires the perfect timing of the phase to produce a major snowstorm. So in theory good timing=blizzard, bad timing= flat wave out to see. Timing is very key and will determine if the entire east coast sees this or if it's more of a PHL-BOS threat.The computer models have been a mess this week and have been waffling back and forth. In addition, our Gov't NOAA/HPC claimed that there were errors in todays model runs. However, since they said this all of the models have trended towards a more snowier solution, which could hurt the credibility of our gov't forecasters.

With regards to the local forecasters- Many are gun-shy, but I feel that many are gonna be caught off guard with this one and it will catch many people by surprise.

Looks like NAM has it blowing up off the coast, with little effect to Philly.

But this is cool ####, I love a good blizzard. Especially when the local yocals get it completely wrong.

:angry:

But this is cool ####, I love a good blizzard. Especially when the local yocals get it completely wrong.

But the key with the NAM is the trend over the past 3-4 model runs. Compare the recent 0Z run to the prior 18Z and 12Z run. You will notice a gradual shift west. There is still time left. Another key is that some of the other models that showed it out to sea have trended west. Today will be a very interesting day.

But the key with the NAM is the trend over the past 3-4 model runs. Compare the recent 0Z run to the prior 18Z and 12Z run. You will notice a gradual shift west. There is still time left. Another key is that some of the other models that showed it out to sea have trended west. Today will be a very interesting day.
Wow you said a whole lotta stuff there that I don't quite understand or know where to find. :no: But I'm interested, and you sound like you know what you're talking about, keep it updated. I'll be following.

I just watched the 5 a.m. news weather forecast. I can't tell you what it's going to do. There's a chance of snow. How much? Who knows? Sounds like Jersey will get the worst of it for sure. But it sounds like it could be heavy in Philly at some point. I have no real idea.

Winter Storm Watch for Philadelphia. Here's the text:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: POSSIBILITY OF SIX INCHES OR MORE

* TIMING: SPREADING NORTH ON SUNDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH. ENDING ON

MONDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL MAY BE HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT

ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW POSSIBLE IN

STRONG WIND GUSTS. VISIBILITIES MAY BE GREATLY REDUCED.

* NORTHERLY WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS

POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

I'm not sure this would keep me from pulling any other Eagles, but I'm definitely looking for an Akers replacement now.

I'm not sure this would keep me from pulling any other Eagles, but I'm definitely looking for an Akers replacement now.
I have Akers picked up Hartley..indoors mon night....good offense CAN WAIT TO SWITCH if your league allows
Both Monday night kickers are already rostered in my league, so I'll have to make the decision early. Right now it looks like I'm putting in J Brown (STL). With 90% of my lineup playing outside in cold weather, it will be nice to have a dome kicker.

Winter Storm Watch for Philadelphia. Here's the text:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS: POSSIBILITY OF SIX INCHES OR MORE

* TIMING: SPREADING NORTH ON SUNDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH. ENDING ON

MONDAY FROM SOUTH TO NORTH.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL MAY BE HAZARDOUS DUE TO SIGNIFICANT

ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW POSSIBLE IN

STRONG WIND GUSTS. VISIBILITIES MAY BE GREATLY REDUCED.

* NORTHERLY WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS

POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
4x champ said:
Right on schedule! :violin:

Sunday, December 26

8 pm

27°F

Mostly Cloudy

10% chance of precip

NNW 6 mph
I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but weather.com is usually off on their forecasts for here in the Boston area. I always watch the local news forecasts. Not that they are always correct, but they seem to be more on top of things here. I checked a local philly station, watch the video about 1/2 way down the page. http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather/ at around 3:45 in, he specifically mentions that it does look like there will be snow and increasing wind for the Eagles game.

Philly is still not really in the center of the forecasted storm's impact, but Central NJ to NY to Boston is getting CRUSHED if the latest model runs (12z GFS especially) are accurate. Should still be heavy snow and wind in Philly too though.

According to weather.com, they are predicting 90% chance of snow and 25 mph winds for tomorrow night. Going to go with Buehler instead of Akers.

Well after watching the weather forcasts for the last two Bear games- it appears to me that it was all hype. In the first game Brady just tore it up- they ran the ball and he was throwing it at will. The FG kickers were fine in that game- which has gusts up to 55 MPH and snow coming down in 20 degree weather. In the game at Minny- the Bears scored in numbers. Cutler was not fazed by the conditions. Farve was knocked out but he entered the game with multiple injuries. The repoprts in Chicago at 2 pm CST had snow coming down and the field being as hard as ice with the players union ready to file major grievances. Then the game started and it was just fun old time football in the snow. The Eagles are going to run their game plan and pound the Vikings and if the Bears win in the early game they will have to keep pouring it on.

well thankfully i have matt ryan as my back-up so if it looks really ridiculous i can throw him in before the sun night game starts.

still i would have a hard time sitting vick for anything other than, well, the word being thrown around here..."blizzard".

Well after watching the weather forcasts for the last two Bear games- it appears to me that it was all hype. In the first game Brady just tore it up- they ran the ball and he was throwing it at will. The FG kickers were fine in that game- which has gusts up to 55 MPH and snow coming down in 20 degree weather. In the game at Minny- the Bears scored in numbers. Cutler was not fazed by the conditions. Farve was knocked out but he entered the game with multiple injuries. The repoprts in Chicago at 2 pm CST had snow coming down and the field being as hard as ice with the players union ready to file major grievances. Then the game started and it was just fun old time football in the snow. The Eagles are going to run their game plan and pound the Vikings and if the Bears win in the early game they will have to keep pouring it on.
:no:Graham missed an extra point in Chicago and Brady is just that good - but deep throws were definitely affected.I think Vick's long throws will be a problem as will any long FG attempts. McCoy and Vick should do well, especially in the short passing game. Maclin and DeSean will get their grabs but maybe not the deep ball.

:no: The latest from the local yocals....

After several days’ worth of computer model flip-flops, the big snowstorm possibility appeared likely.

On Christmas afternoon nearly all of the computer models were now suggesting snowfall of at least six inches for most of the area, with higher amounts closer to the shore.

The Philadelphia area is now expected to get eight to 12 inches, with a 30-percent chance of even more.

The heaviest snow should fall late Sunday afternoon and night (which includes the Eagles game). Near-blizzard conditions are possible at the peak of the storm, especially near the Jersey Shore.
ETA: 5oyardfg and zoobird owned this tread! :lmao:

:no: The latest from the local yocals....

After several days’ worth of computer model flip-flops, the big snowstorm possibility appeared likely.

On Christmas afternoon nearly all of the computer models were now suggesting snowfall of at least six inches for most of the area, with higher amounts closer to the shore.

The Philadelphia area is now expected to get eight to 12 inches, with a 30-percent chance of even more.

The heaviest snow should fall late Sunday afternoon and night (which includes the Eagles game). Near-blizzard conditions are possible at the peak of the storm, especially near the Jersey Shore.
ETA: 5oyardfg owns this tread! :lmao:
Oh oh if this is true, I'm starting to get a little worried. We have any data with Vick playing in blizzard like conditions before?

Users who are viewing this thread