What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 16 Weather (1 Viewer)

*****update... Eagles beat reporter says the NFL is keeping an eye on the forecast and may move the game if conditions are deemed to dangerous.
Too dangerous? For who fans getting to the game?
Eagles fans are already there and tailgating. As Kelly League shouted in the Astrodome......... Let them play...Let them play!
kelly league? the germans bombed pearl harbor?setting a bad president here guy.........

*****update... Eagles beat reporter says the NFL is keeping an eye on the forecast and may move the game if conditions are deemed to dangerous.
I think so, they're probably more concerned with fans leaving the game and getting home. The city has already declared a weather emergency. But most recent forecasts have backed off of blizzard reports, saying 8-12 inches instead of 20+.

Would like to chime in here.Looking at the computer models it now appears that there is a chance that the game between the Eagles and the Vikings could be played in near blizzard conditions. This has been one of the craziest weather systems that I have ever followed. The models have been all over the place all week. Now that we are getting closer to the event, models are beginning to coverge on a snowier solution. The heaviest snow still might be NE of Philly, but this is now a real threat and people should be paying attention.
Weather.com states that there are "a few snow showers possible" for Sunday night, chance of percipitation at 30%. I wouldn't call these "blizzard conditions," lol.
Could care less what weather.com says. This is my prediction based on my knowledge of weather and ability to read computer models.
:shrug: Excellent Call. They are declaring a snow emergency in Philly today. Looking at 10-14" with 25-30mph winds.

I just talked to my buddy on the team and he said that they have been informed that the game could be moved to tomorrow. He said he would call me if it happens, but I'm driving south to Mexico on a fishing trip so signal will be sparse. Screw the snow, it's 65 degrees where I'm going! :shrug: :)

Not yet. We're discussing situation. Stand by. RT @davepr12: @gregaiello Any word on the Eagles game being postponed?

44 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

I think so, they're probably more concerned with fans leaving the game and getting home. The city has already declared a weather emergency. But most recent forecasts have backed off of blizzard reports, saying 8-12 inches instead of 20+.
The amount of snow doesn't matter. Wind is the reason snow storms become blizzard's.

The amount of snow doesn't matter. Wind is the reason snow storms become blizzard's.
I hear ya, I said it more in reference for clearing roads and driving conditions during the storm.

Would NBC still get the game tomorrow if it moves? I think its hillarious that they flexed this game and now it may not be played on NBC. If the Eagles played at 1pm today, all we'd have is the begining of the storm.

Hasn't even started snowing yet. however the heaviest snow is suppose to be from 3pm to midnight, could get 2 inches an hour. All the local stations have 10-20 inches for the philly area. Winds are only suppose to get worse as the day goes on. Around game time 25-35 mph, with guests close to 50.

You would think the NFL would cancel the game by 1:00 PM hopefully if thats what they decide to do

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
mortreport Chris Mortensen The snow on the East Coast: Eagles-Vikings (of all teams) may get postponed
If they cancel this game, they open up the door for a lot of that kind of crap in the future. You play the game. Minnesota's had enough of that crap, you play the game. If people want to stay home, that's up to them. If they postpone that game I'm going to be disappointed. Maybe they can fly to Honolulu and play it there in perfect conditions.Play the game.
Not being a ####, but this city isn't Minnesota or Buffalo. It doesn't handle snow very well. It's all about road conditions and fan safety I believe, not about actually playing the game.

mortreport Chris Mortensen The snow on the East Coast: Eagles-Vikings (of all teams) may get postponed
If they cancel this game, they open up the door for a lot of that kind of crap in the future. You play the game. Minnesota's had enough of that crap, you play the game. If people want to stay home, that's up to them. If they postpone that game I'm going to be disappointed. Maybe they can fly to Honolulu and play it there in perfect conditions.Play the game.
Not being a ####, but this city isn't Minnesota or Buffalo. It doesn't handle snow very well. It's all about road conditions and fan safety I believe, not about actually playing the game.
so you are admitting peeps in Minny and Buff are simply better rounded than those in Philly.sounds about right :fishing:

Would NBC still get the game tomorrow if it moves? I think its hillarious that they flexed this game and now it may not be played on NBC. If the Eagles played at 1pm today, all we'd have is the begining of the storm.
Would serve 'em right for flexing my Bengals out of Sunday Night Football :fishing: -QG

so you are admitting peeps in Minny and Buff are simply better rounded than those in Philly.sounds about right :fishing:
:lmao: Well there isn't much else to do in those cities except to worry about clearing snow. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Philly Mayor has declared a snow emergency as of 2pm, and is urging residents to stay home and off the roads."

Good chance the game gets moved to tomorrow night.

Eagles fans are already there and tailgating. As Kelly League shouted in the Astrodome......... Let them play...Let them play!
No shlt this isn't baseball. unless there are tornados or lightning that is.

Blizzard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

This article is about the winter storm condition. For other uses, see Blizzard (disambiguation).

Part of the Nature series on

Weather

Storms

Thunderstorm · Supercell

Downburst · Lightning

Tornado · Waterspout

Tropical cyclone (Hurricane)

Extratropical cyclone

Winter storm · Blizzard · Ice storm

Dust storm · Firestorm · Cloud

Precipitation

Drizzle · Rain · Snow · Graupel

Freezing rain · Ice pellets · Hail

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and can include heavy snow. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph).[1] Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[2][3] Ground blizzards are a variation on the traditional blizzard, in that ground blizzards require high winds to stir up snow that has already fallen, rather than fresh snowfall. Regardless of the variety of blizzard, they can bring near-whiteout conditions, which restrict visibility to near zero. Blizzards have a negative impact on local economies and can paralyze regions for days at a time, particularly where snowfall is unusual or rare.

The differences from a whiteout

Although the word "blizzard" is commonly used to describe heavy snow and high winds, a blizzard should not be called a "whiteout". Whiteout occurs mostly in the Arctic and Antarctic during the spring, when snow is still deep on the ground and there is lots of daylight, surprisingly calm weather and excellent visibility. Whiteout occurs when rays of sunlight are bounced in all directions between bright white clouds, especially a thin layer of overcast, and bright snow or ice. Clean snow and ice reflects nearly 85% of incoming light. Falling snowflakes, suspended fog droplets or ice particles in the air would make conditions even worse. In a whiteout, neither shadows, nearby objects, landmarks, nor clouds are discernible. For people experiencing a whiteout, their sense of direction, depth perception and even their balance may be lost. Land and sky seem to blend, and the horizon disappears into a white nothingness. Whiteouts trick pilots and travelers into believing down is up and far is near.

Economic impact of blizzards

Like all severe weather events such as hurricanes, droughts, and floods, blizzards can be disruptive to local economies and likely have a significant impact on society. This is especially the case when blizzards hit in localities in generally warmer climates where snowfall is infrequent. In cities that do not have snow removal equipment, traffic and commerce can be brought to a standstill for days and in some cases weeks. The economic impacts include lost productivity because people cannot get to work or parents must stay home with children due to school closings, airport closures, product delivery delays and the cost of snow removal.

So this is what the NFL has digressed to? If games have been played in bad weather for 90 years there's no reason why The Iggles can't play in a blizzard.

"Philly Mayor has declared a snow emergency as of 2pm, and is urging residents to stay home and off the roads."Good chance the game gets moved to tomorrow night.
which is bull crap. Fans can take public transportation to the game, which is very accessible in this city or they can stay home and watch the game. So what if the stadium is half full, the NFL has become a bunch of pansies anymore.

Philly rarely sees significant snow. It is NOT the same as a similar storm in Minny, or NE, or Chicago.

If the roads are impassable, they have no choice but to postpone the game. It isn't about field conditions, but fan safety. Weather related postponements are rare in the NFL because the cities typically susceptible to weather events have plans and equipment in place. Philadelphia, THE CITY (NOT THE TEAM), does not.

Those complaining they should play need to quit being d-bags about it. It's NOT ABOUT THE PLAYERS/GAME ITSELF.

Philly rarely sees significant snow. It is NOT the same as a similar storm in Minny, or NE, or Chicago.If the roads are impassable, they have no choice but to postpone the game. It isn't about field conditions, but fan safety. Weather related postponements are rare in the NFL because the cities typically susceptible to weather events have plans and equipment in place. Philadelphia, THE CITY (NOT THE TEAM), does not.Those complaining they should play need to quit being d-bags about it. It's NOT ABOUT THE PLAYERS/GAME ITSELF.
Um we had 3 or 4 of them last year. Have at least 1 every winter season. This city is well prepared to clean the roads, they just don't feel like paying the overtime it would cost to clean them quicker with the traffic of the game.it's all about money and politics with this decision, nothing to do about fan safety(which they can take public transportation to the game)

Any word on some other games? Winds in florida? weather.com nfl reports is down, and every other site I go to has conflicting info.

Any word on some other games? Winds in florida? weather.com nfl reports is down, and every other site I go to has conflicting info.
Why don't they start postponing games that have rain, or 20mph gusts, or anything over 90 degrees....sheesh.

Philly rarely sees significant snow. It is NOT the same as a similar storm in Minny, or NE, or Chicago.If the roads are impassable, they have no choice but to postpone the game. It isn't about field conditions, but fan safety. Weather related postponements are rare in the NFL because the cities typically susceptible to weather events have plans and equipment in place. Philadelphia, THE CITY (NOT THE TEAM), does not.Those complaining they should play need to quit being d-bags about it. It's NOT ABOUT THE PLAYERS/GAME ITSELF.
How many games in NFL history can we say the same thing about?

NFL would be idiotic to cancel this game. With so many people hunkered down for the snow & holidays - the rating would be off the charts.

They move it to Monday - not so much. Plus people already took off Monday and most going back to work on Tues.

Jacksonville 1PMCloudy 37°F

Feels Like: 28° (Wind Chill)

20% Chance of Precip:

Wind:

From WNW at 14mph gusting to 20mph

Tampa Bay 4PM

Mostly Cloudy 46°F

Feels Like: 40° (Wind Chill

Wind:

From NW at 17mph gusting to 27mph

Its hilarious to see people saying Philly cant handle major snow storms. We get major snow every single year, and especially last year, we got dumped on for 70 inches.

Philly rarely sees significant snow. It is NOT the same as a similar storm in Minny, or NE, or Chicago.

If the roads are impassable, they have no choice but to postpone the game. It isn't about field conditions, but fan safety. Weather related postponements are rare in the NFL because the cities typically susceptible to weather events have plans and equipment in place. Philadelphia, THE CITY (NOT THE TEAM), does not.

Those complaining they should play need to quit being d-bags about it. It's NOT ABOUT THE PLAYERS/GAME ITSELF.
Um we had 3 or 4 of them last year. Have at least 1 every winter season. This city is well prepared to clean the roads, they just don't feel like paying the overtime it would cost to clean them quicker with the traffic of the game.

it's all about money and politics with this decision, nothing to do about fan safety(which they can take public transportation to the game)
:no: There were winters, recently, where I didn't need more than a broom to clear snow all winter. Times/weather might be changing, but 8-10 inches of snow was a big storm for Philly, these 18+ inches were few and far between.

Jacksonville 1PMCloudy 37°F Feels Like: 28° (Wind Chill)20% Chance of Precip:Wind:From WNW at 14mph gusting to 20mph
Thanks- except National Weather Service says gusting to 45mph!! lol.. who to beleive?
I live in Orlando, its calm down since early this morning wind gusts here in Centra Florida.

Hopefully it doesnt get moved to Monday night for Minnesota's sake. I don't think there's ever been a team who has had 3 monday night games in a row where they get destroyed in each. :no:

Some years Philly gets a ton of snow, other years it doesn't. Some of you are talking like this is Atlanta or something, and it's just not true. The city has plenty of experience with stuff like this.

Some years Philly gets a ton of snow, other years it doesn't. Some of you are talking like this is Atlanta or something, and it's just not true. The city has plenty of experience with stuff like this.
If that's the case then why cancel the game? How many other NFL games have been played in similar conditions? Why the sudden change?

If that's the case then why cancel the game? How many other NFL games have been played in similar conditions? Why the sudden change?
No idea. The mayor says they are ready. The fans are pretty much there now. Why cancel it?

Hopefully it doesnt get moved to Monday night for Minnesota's sake. I don't think there's ever been a team who has had 3 monday night games in a row where they get destroyed in each. ;)
But there HAS been a team with 3 Super Bowl trips in a row where they got destroyed in each. :thumbup:

Top 5 NFL Snow Games

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2...snow_games.html

Top NFL snow games #5: 1948 NFL Championship

Top NFL snow games #4: Thanksgiving 1993

Top NFL snow games #3: Bills at Browns snow bowl

Top NFL snow games #2: 2002 AFC Divisional Playoff game

Top NFL snow games #1: Snow Plow Game....

...The Snow Plow game is number one on this list just because the weather itself caused a new NFL rule to be created. As with the Tuck Rule game, the Snow Plow game took place at Foxboro Stadium. This time, the Patriots were hosting the Dolphins. A heavy snowstorm prevented either team from getting into any type of offensive rhythm and the game was scoreless late in the fourth quarter. The Patriots were facing a fourth down in Miami territory and New England head coach Ron Meyer directed the now infamous Mark Henderson to get into a mini-snow plow and brush away an area of snow in between the hash marks. This, of course, created a clean portion of ground for the football to be placed during the upcoming 32 yard field goal attempt. Patriots kicker John Smith buried the kick and the Pats went on to win 3-0.

The following year, the NFL banned the use of any plows, tractors or "brushes" during a football game. On that day, however, it was a brilliant move by Ron Meyer...or a dirty one, depending on who you wanted to win the game.

NFL.com video for the Snow Plow game can be watched here. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-...-Snow-Plow-Game

PHILLY people. are the fans there already for real?

the ratings would be off the charts.

if they postpone isnt the snow gonna block the roads tomorrow??? so they would have to do it tues.

why not move the game to 5pm?

WTF!! Tuesday! So now they get 4 days to prepare for the cowboys?? Which could be a very important game for the #2 seed. Wow this is complete bull####. NFL should be ashamed of themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread