What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2-Exploit-Avoid, what you got? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
if you have a question or comment about an individual player you own...we all would appreciate you posting the 2-3 players you are looking over and why you would start one player over another. I promise the SP will correct you if they think you might be making a mistake.

St Louis at Atlanta (-6.5) (47)

Are the Rams the team that held serve against Arizona or is it one of those small victories that won't translate to this week? I pose that question as well as many others to all of you.

Atlanta has both White and Julio Jones on injury alert right now. Jackson has a complete stranglehold on RB1, RB2, and RB3 spots, is in there on several 3rd downs, if you can trade "4" him, now might be the right time IMO. If you think he will hold up because Quizz is a distant distant 2nd/3rd on this team, in fact Snelling seems like he will get a good chunk should SJack miss time.

Givens was a major let down week 1, would not cut him yet will likely pay off in the weeks ahead. What is the role of Pead of week 2? I think DRich is a safe start in the flex for now or RB3.

Final Score: Atlanta 27...St Louis 23

Cleveland at Baltimore (-6.5) (43.5)

Until josh Gordon returns it seems Vegas is gonna give people the Browns as the sacrificial lamb the first couple weeks. Ravens are seething after opening night and have had 10 days to prepare. Regardless of how you feel about these 2 teams 3 weeks ago, things are different now. Hard to imagine the Super Bowl champs falling 0-2 and after what they saw last week, Cleveland will be a breeze. I would start Rice, Smith, perhaps even Marlon Brown, Dallas Clark makes an interesting flex but I don't think they target him quite as many times this week. TRich and JCam for the Browns are almost auto-starts for now.

Final Score: Baltimore 30...Cleveland 10

Carolina at Buffalo (+3) (43.5)

Several comments from the MOP. I love DWill but he isn't the same back that tore it up in 2008, he just isn't and even with a lot of touches it seems like he will struggle. If you can sell him for anything around where you might have drafted him, I say trade him. This is a headache most of the time, tell me I'm wrong because I have all but given up on DeAngelo.

Shame on Carolina for not surrounding Cam with a plethora of weapons because he has the skills to pay the bills, he just is a couple sandwiches shy of a picnic, a solid group of young wideouts might help.

I turn the Bills over to folks like Aaron from the FBG staff, lots of other Bills fans, what did you like week form EJ Manuel? he almost pulled off the upset. Is anyone worried about CJ Spiller?

Final Score: Carolina 22...Buffalo 18

Minnesota at Chicago (-6) (42)

The reason Jerome Simpson had 150+ IMO is that eventually the Lions sold out to stacking the box. His 1st target comes in the early 2nd. I wouldn't cut bait with Patterson just yet...when the Vikes are 1-6 you will see plenty of him IMO.

The Bears were very surprising in their win over Cinci last week, however when you really think about it...Cutler, Marshall, Jeffries, Forte, Bennett...that's not bad and they have some depth behind these guys especially at RB and WR so I'm not gonna dismiss the Bears yet, in fact it would be a mistake with a HC that while I dislike/distrust is off to a pretty good start and seems to be able to adapt his offense fine to fit the players, that's a good sign IMHO.

Final Score: Chicago 28...Minnesota 14

I will post 'em up 4 at a time throughout the rest of the week, impossible for me with my schedule to hit all 16 games at once. Anything you want to add related to these games, please do not be shy because all information is much appreciated. If you have injury news, post it up, have a strong opinion, post it up...

-Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington at Green Bay (-7) (49.5)

Are the Skins the team that came out and did nothing the 1st half or is this the team that started to find itself at the end of the game. Chip kelly says his team let up to his dismay last week but can they hold the intensity for 60 minutes? The Packers saw a lot last week and I doubt that RGIII is going to scare them after a shellacking both times from Colin Kaepernick in the last few games the team has taken the field? The Packers don't cover well and I think I would roll the dice on Garcon, Hankerson as well as Santana Moss, that's the Skins best 3WR set IMO plus Fred Davis at TE, it's go time if they can put it all together again.

I'm going to explain the Niners success and why they do the read option better than anyone when we get to the Seattle-SF game. "Wow, is MOP really pimping a later part of this thread, what a bag" :)

The Packers IMO looked good on offense when Rodgers wasn't escaping pressure and when he could hook up with both Nelson and Cobb. I was impressed with both of them and think both will prove valuable during the season. I also liked parts of Eddie Lacy but like many backs last week he struggled to gain yards on the ground.

Ready for Roy Helu to see more touches.

Final Score: Green Bay 35...Washington 24

Tennessee at Houston (-9) (43)

Are we worried that Houston is too full of themselves and won't cover? I think the Titans were lucky they pulled off the win last week, it won't translate to this week. I see the texans scoring early and often, they were worn down in San Diego and finally found themselves in the end of that Chargers contest. I don't like the Titans passing game and while I still have a soft spot for Chris Johnson, very hit n miss what he will do this week. He could just as easily post up 50 yds as he could 100/TD. His last few games @Hou include 25/140 in 2012, 110 total yds + 4 receptions in 2011 last week of the season. No way you bench Cj this week.

AJ, Foster, Hopkins, Schaub...AJ yes, Foster next although i expect Ben Tate to continue to demand touches from his play on the field, Hopkins would still sit until bye weeks dictate, Schaub...don't chase points.

Final Score: Houston 34...Tennessee 17

Miami at Indianapolis (-3) (43.5)

Get to know the Miami front 7...not the 4 DL + 3 LB but the front 7 in the DLine...Wake, Vernon, Starks, Solia, Odrick, Dion Jordan, Shelby...it's deep and they can rotate. The Miami LBs many times were completely unblocked while these guys ate them up at the point of attack. Indy's OL has its work cut out and I don't think they are as good as Cleveland's at the moment. I think DHB or TY Hilton make some noise this week out of the WR2/3 slots. Hilton put up 6/100/TD last year so Miami definitely has him in their sights.

For the Phins...Hartline and maybe Gibson in the flex for the moment although I do think Wallace will bounce back this week...he better or things could get ugly despite the team winning. Miller will show he is better than 10att/3yds like last week. Keep an eye on Charles Clay, he is the #1TE/HBack on this offense, could catch quite a few balls as the DBs will not pay him a lot of attention for now.

Final Score: Miami 24...Indianapolis 21, close game and hard fought.

Dallas at Kansas City (-3) (46.5)

The Chiefs are a team where I gotta see it a couple more times. Alex Smith was not that great, most of the receivers were a disappointment, even Charles didn't play a lot in the 4th if at all. They won 28-2 against a pathetic Jax Jags team. I want to see more of the offense and Andy Reid traditionally struggles against the Tampa 2...which just so happens that Monte Kiffin is the DC for the Cowboys who are the #1 FF defense right now.

Play all Cowboys, ride Murray until he falls apart and for goodness sake if Lance Dunbar is floating around your WW for some odd reason, grab him.

Final Score: Dallas 30...Kansas City 21

Dallas at Kansas City (-3) (46.5)The Chiefs are a team where I gotta see it a couple more times. Alex Smith was not that great, most of the receivers were a disappointment, even Charles didn't play a lot in the 4th if at all. They won 28-2 against a pathetic Jax Jags team. I want to see more of the offense and Andy Reid traditionally struggles against the Tampa 2...which just so happens that Monte Kiffin is the DC for the Cowboys who are the #1 FF defense right now.

Play all Cowboys, ride Murray until he falls apart and for goodness sake if Lance Dunbar is floating around your WW for some odd reason, grab him.

I just think this is going to be a much lower scoring game than that. Yes, the Jags are pathetic but KC's front 7 is quite good and Dontari Poe was a monster. I could see Murray having some problems. You hit the nail on the head with Alex Smith's mediocrity last week (Chief's scoring drives were 57, 27, and 21 yards + a Pick-6). Add in Romo's ribs and Dez' tweak of the foot and I think it's more like

Dallas 20 KC 17

Carolina at Buffalo (+3) (43.5)

Several comments from the MOP. I love DWill but he isn't the same back that tore it up in 2008, he just isn't and even with a lot of touches it seems like he will struggle. If you can sell him for anything around where you might have drafted him, I say trade him. This is a headache most of the time, tell me I'm wrong because I have all but given up on DeAngelo.

Shame on Carolina for not surrounding Cam with a plethora of weapons because he has the skills to pay the bills, he just is a couple sandwiches shy of a picnic, a solid group of young wideouts might help.

I turn the Bills over to folks like Aaron from the FBG staff, lots of other Bills fans, what did you like week form EJ Manuel? he almost pulled off the upset. Is anyone worried about CJ Spiller?

Final Score: Carolina 22...Buffalo 18
It will be interesting to see what the Bills coaches gameplan for Manuel. IF they turn him loose, the Bills have a big advantage with the speed of their receivers against a Carolina secondary that isn't very deep. And then after you back the safeties up, let Spiller and Fred Jackson hurt them underneath. I could see Manuel, Johnson, Woods, Graham turning some heads.

I like the Carolina D this year and think EJ will be looking like a deer in the headlamps. Plenty of turnovers will be forced and Carolina will power through and crush the Bills.

CJ will underperform related to his draft spot and Stevie will overperform, but in the end its all Carolina and their surprising D.

Ministry of Pain said:

Are the Skins the team that came out and did nothing the 1st half or is this the team that started to find itself at the end of the game. Chip kelly says his team let up to his dismay last week but can they hold the intensity for 60 minutes? The Packers saw a lot last week and I doubt that RGIII is going to scare them after a shellacking both times from Colin Kaepernick in the last few games the team has taken the field? The Packers don't cover well and I think I would roll the dice on Garcon, Hankerson as well as Santana Moss, that's the Skins best 3WR set IMO plus Fred Davis at TE, it's go time if they can put it all together again.

I'm going to explain the Niners success and why they do the read option better than anyone when we get to the Seattle-SF game. "Wow, is MOP really pimping a later part of this thread, what a bag" :)

The Packers IMO looked good on offense when Rodgers wasn't escaping pressure and when he could hook up with both Nelson and Cobb. I was impressed with both of them and think both will prove valuable during the season. I also liked parts of Eddie Lacy but like many backs last week he struggled to gain yards on the ground.

Final score might be about right, but it's going to be a blowout by half-time.

The reason Kaep was successful is because he is a fantastic passer as well as runner. Griffin certainly has that ability... but not right now. He couldn't make wide open passes in the pocket, let alone while running outside of the pocket (which is where Kaep did virtually all of his damage against Green Bay).

I see the Packers employing the same "move-him-off-the-point-but-don't-let-him-run" strategy, only this week it will be very successful. Griffin clearly was not comfortable either passing OR running, and he's going to have to do both at the same time to make any big plays against the Packers. Again, that's where Kaep crushed last week, finding the open guy while scrambling. Griffin is not ready for that kind of a game so I doubt the 'Skins score more than a field goal before half-time.

I also beg to differ that the Packers can't cover. Their secondary is a top 5 unit (as a whole, I believe the top 6 guys all graded positive for the season from PFF); UNFORTUNATELY, the top two guys did not play. The secondary held for a long time on each play last week but they can't hold forever; Kaep just made better plays with his arm, throwing to the open spaces and the receivers got there first. Kudos to Kaep for an amazing game. Griffin doesn't have it in him yet this year to do all that, though, and it would take that superb effort to beat the Pack. Even with Kaep playing lights out, the Packers were still ahead in the 4th quarter.

Also calling my shot that this is the first game in 3 years where a Packer goes for over 100 yards. Get' em Lacy!

JaxBill said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Dallas at Kansas City (-3) (46.5)The Chiefs are a team where I gotta see it a couple more times. Alex Smith was not that great, most of the receivers were a disappointment, even Charles didn't play a lot in the 4th if at all. They won 28-2 against a pathetic Jax Jags team. I want to see more of the offense and Andy Reid traditionally struggles against the Tampa 2...which just so happens that Monte Kiffin is the DC for the Cowboys who are the #1 FF defense right now.

I just think this is going to be a much lower scoring game than that. Yes, the Jags are pathetic but KC's front 7 is quite good and Dontari Poe was a monster. I could see Murray having some problems. You hit the nail on the head with Alex Smith's mediocrity last week (Chief's scoring drives were 57, 27, and 21 yards + a Pick-6). Add in Romo's ribs and Dez' tweak of the foot and I think it's more like

Dallas 20 KC 17
Totally agree with you JB -- Arrowhead is not an easy stadium to sneak a road win in, and Reid has way more experience with the Cowboys than the Cowboys have with a Chiefs team that didn't really need to pull out all stops in Week 1. I think KC takes the win here.

JaxBill said:
Ministry of Pain said:

Dallas 20 KC 17
Totally agree with you JB -- Arrowhead is not an easy stadium to sneak a road win in, and Reid has way more experience with the Cowboys than the Cowboys have with a Chiefs team that didn't really need to pull out all stops in Week 1. I think KC takes the win here.
The most important part of that post is Lance Dunbar

Ministry of Pain said:

The reason Kaep was successful is because he is a fantastic passer as well as runner. Griffin certainly has that ability... but not right now. He couldn't make wide open passes in the pocket, let alone while running outside of the pocket (which is where Kaep did virtually all of his damage against Green Bay).

I see the Packers employing the same "move-him-off-the-point-but-don't-let-him-run" strategy, only this week it will be very successful. Griffin clearly was not comfortable either passing OR running, and he's going to have to do both at the same time to make any big plays against the Packers. Again, that's where Kaep crushed last week, finding the open guy while scrambling. Griffin is not ready for that kind of a game so I doubt the 'Skins score more than a field goal before half-time.

I also beg to differ that the Packers can't cover. Their secondary is a top 5 unit (as a whole, I believe the top 6 guys all graded positive for the season from PFF); UNFORTUNATELY, the top two guys did not play. The secondary held for a long time on each play last week but they can't hold forever; Kaep just made better plays with his arm, throwing to the open spaces and the receivers got there first. Kudos to Kaep for an amazing game. Griffin doesn't have it in him yet this year to do all that, though, and it would take that superb effort to beat the Pack. Even with Kaep playing lights out, the Packers were still ahead in the 4th quarter.

Also calling my shot that this is the first game in 3 years where a Packer goes for over 100 yards. Get' em Lacy!
Great info, didn't know top 2 guys were out but that's why they didn't cover very well. Are they back this week?

Ministry of Pain said:

Great info, didn't know top 2 guys were out but that's why they didn't cover very well. Are they back this week?
No. Hayward is out a couple of weeks yet (hamstring) and Burnett is questionable to play. The two young safeties (Jennings and McMillan) were terrible with lots of missed calls, tackles, and assignments. They need to improve drastically or you'll see Chris Banjo replacing one of them.

San Diego at Philadelphia (-7) (55)

Love that Vick is accelerating in this offense but jumping into piles of DL and LBs is just stupid, also blocking on the McCoy run is gonna get him killed. DeSean Jackson is making owners everywhere say "Why oh why did I not take him over Antonio Brown?" I would be trading for Bryce Brown at all costs right now...OK not at all costs but start kicking those tires quick. McCoy actually said he can't keep up with 31 carries and since the Eagles are planning to run a sprint for the whole 60 minutes, Brown could see as many as 15-18+ touches a week, get him now while you can for flex and bye week options, and I also am buying the Brent Celek hype, he was a much better waiver wire grab than Kellen Winslow IMO. How can you not like Philly this weekend? Maybe too many points but we'll see if CK can keep his offense going past week 1.

The Chargers were up 28-7 on the Texans and then gave the game away as best they could. This is still a work in progress but I would look for some garbage time points from Rivers trying to keep the Bolts in the game. The passes are spread around a lot, I wouldn't rush to put Eddie Royal in your line up. Ronnie Brown seems to have a bigger role in the offense than Danny Woodhead, perhaps he is the hand cuff for Mathews.

Final Score: Philadelphia 34...San Diego 21

Detroit at Arizona (+1.5) (48)

Reggie Bush injury report week 1, ready? Dislocated thumb that had to be put back in and he will have to adjust which hand he carries the ball in at times(fumbles), next would be an undisclosed groin injury, that's gotta be painful when you are trying to reap the rewards of being the MVP that week, and finally we learn that he had a hyperextended knee. Milton Bradley is going to make an NFL version of their popular game Operation and Reggie will be the new face on the game. Folks, we're not gonna make it like this. I expected 15 touches but they are gonna kill him by Week 3 at this pace.

Paging Calvin Johnson, please report to the Transformers HQ for immediate deployment. Matt Stafford just throws for like 350 yds with little effort. Was it 400? This game should be a points bonanza, if I haven't said so yet, start them all both sides, Fitz, Floyd, and maybe even Roberts this weekend, all should have plenty of targets. I also thought Mendenhall gave a nice effort last week, the running lanes will open up sooner or later, there's another guy you could trade for right now on the cheap to fill that RB3 spot you probably need. Mendenhall is going to get 18+ carries a game they way Arians wants to use him. No threat of anyone stealing his touches.

Final Score: Detroit 40...Arizona 30, not sure why Vegas is hollering for a 27-21 type contest, these offenses both looked good last week.

New Orleans at Tampa Bay (+3) (47.5)

Things are about to implode in Tampa. Players seem resentful, Schiano is old school, stuck in his ways, and doesn't have a winning record to bring with him into the NFL. At first he seemed like he might have it together but the player coach relationship between HC and QB is just not right. he has 2 pretty good weapons at WR, unfortunately there is nothing at the 3 and 4 spots IMO and TE is a pretty starving position on this roster IMO as well. Doug Martin is going to have to run for 150 yds a game if the Bucs are going to win many games. I give them no shot this week against New Orleans who should be getting better and better each week. Vincent Jackson is a stud but you gotta wonder how his play is going to be impacted...that's a guy I might trade away for a more stable environment.

A guy to stash in deep leagues, very very deep leagues would be Ben Watson. If anything happens to Graham at TE, Watson would be next up and while not nearly as dynamic he can still cause damage. Colston had a very nice performance, Brees 350 yds/2TD, Kenny Stills has the big play job on this team wrapped up, that kid has some jets. He's useless outside of best ball at the moment but if Colston or Moore were to go down it would seem like he might snare a few more targets. Sproles continues to be the most valuable of all the backs on this team, his 110 yds and 6 receptions works for me as a solid weekly RB2 with RB1 upside. Thomas does more with his 9 carries than Mark Ingram seems to be able to do with his and I'll leave it at that.

Final Score: New Orleans 45...Tampa Bay 28, Freeman will have a solid day FF but will still be a major problem in the NFL rounds.

Manning vs Manning (+4) (55)

I'm speechless after what Peyton did last week in Denver. I've never seen a QB with such wobbly balls thrown about nail their targets over and over again producing 7 touchdowns. And I can't find a reason why he won't go out there and throw or 400 yds and 5 TD again this week. They have no running game for the moment, they are gonna throw throw throw. Decker might be the odd man out some weeks but when he hits, perhaps Thomas doesn't score 2 TD that day, just 1.

Reuben Randle is a guy you might think about this week, expect Eli to have to throw the ball a lot so lots of targets to go around. Cruz Nicks, Randle, get them all on the field coach. Plenty of garbage time catch up points on those Nickel and Dimers in the secondary. Brandon Myers picking up where he left off last season. Giants were playing catch up, this guy is gonna catch a lot of alls again this year, unbelievable how this guy comes form nowhere to this spot. Who would you not start in this game? Den/NYG QB/RB/WR1/WR2/WR3/TE...all of them IMO are worthy starts this week both teams.

Final Score: Denver 38 NYGiants 34

Ministry of Pain said:

I think Dwayne Bowe is going to torch Dallas this week.

Random, insane predictions for week 2:

• Eddie Lacy destroys Washington.

• Carolina thumps Buffalo. Man, Spiller has a tough schedule in the first half of the season.

• 3 catches and 28 yards for Julius Thomas.

• Dwayne Bowe is a top 10 WR vs. Dallas.

• Cecil Shorts joins Bowe in the top 10.

• Boldin contained, but Kaepernick runs for two scores.

• Arian Foster gets 130 total yards and two TDs - playing more downs than Tate by 3-1.

• Five more TDs for Peyton.

when the Vikes are 1-6
This is almost optimistic compared to what some people think. Who will the Vikings beat?
I posted this in the Vikings thread.. I think they lose to the Bears to go to 0-2.

Then win at home vs. Carolina and then somehow beat the Steelers in London to go to 2-2.. forcing us to watch Ponder during a brutal stretch of games and they are 2-8 and decide to move on to Cassel.. and a game or two later completely give up on the season and move onto the McLeod.

Going to be a LONG season as we watch Alex Smith do exactly what was needed here... manage the game, don't turn the ball over, and make the playoffs :kicksrock:

The Saints have a laundry list of injuries in their secondary. Jabari Greer, Roman Harper, Patrick Robinson, and Corey White are all questionable. If the Bucs can ignore the distractions and come together this week they could put up a lot of points and possibly pull out a win. The defense will be able to get some stops.

I'm debating starting Josh Freeman over Russell Wilson. Obviously the shootout potential is a lot higher in Tampa. I believe in Josh more than most, and he lit the Saints up last season in their matchup in Tampa. If at least two of those Saints end up being out he'll probably be in my lineup.

Torrey Smith caught just 4 passes last week with Joe Flacco throwing it 62 times. I like the target totals. I think he had 9? But, Torrey going up against Joe Haden along with the likelihood of safety help over the top leads me to believe he'll have a frustrating day similar to Mike Wallace's in week one. I can see the Ravens running to win this one against a team that's going to struggle to score.

I currently have Michael Floyd in my lineup over Torrey. The Cardinals are going to need to chuck it against the Lions, and Floyd looks like he has a stranglehold on the starting WR spot opposite Larry Fitzgerald. That's a good spot to occupy against a Lions secondary that got torched by Jerome Simpson last week for 140 yards on 7 catches. I see Floyd approaching 100 yards receiving and a score.

Ministry of Pain said:

I'd be avoiding Davis if I owned him - they used Reed a lot as a receiver last week from that TE spot. 6 targets to Davis' four, and Davis is on a 1-year deal.

Cameron and Myers are both must starts but can u see Cameron getting shut down thus week? DEN shut down Myers consistantly last year w/ OAK as well.

Ministry of Pain said:

I'd be avoiding Davis if I owned him - they used Reed a lot as a receiver last week from that TE spot. 6 targets to Davis' four, and Davis is on a 1-year deal.
Excellent info

Random, insane predictions for week 2:

• Eddie Lacy destroys Washington.

• Carolina thumps Buffalo. Man, Spiller has a tough schedule in the first half of the season.

• 3 catches and 28 yards for Julius Thomas.

• Dwayne Bowe is a top 10 WR vs. Dallas.

• Cecil Shorts joins Bowe in the top 10.

• Boldin contained, but Kaepernick runs for two scores.

• Arian Foster gets 130 total yards and two TDs - playing more downs than Tate by 3-1.

• Five more TDs for Peyton.
Rack this up. I disagree on Bowe, Dallas will game plan for him. Chiefs have little at TE/WR2, Dallas will double team Bowe.

Cameron and Myers are both must starts but can u see Cameron getting shut down thus week? DEN shut down Myers consistantly last year w/ OAK as well.
Ravens look shaky at best in the secondary, kinda lean Cameron here. Myers didn't have Cruz, Nicks, and Randle when he took the field in oakland, usually he was about the only option.

London at Oakland (-5.5) (39.5)

Jaguars absolutely putrid on offense last week, completely shutout by the Chiefs. Now they must travel 3,000 miles across country to play, they better get used to flying because they hit the road a lot. They couldn't play any worse could they? Is this the week to double down on MJD? What options do you have if you drafted him? I wouldn't trust anything in the passing game right now except...OK we gotta talk about Ace Sanders for a minute. I realize the Jags are a complete mess right now but that's exactly why we need to discuss him. The rookie had 9 targets last week and had a 35 yd pass called back on a penalty, that would have been 4/47 and I think the SP would have had more buzz. Now is the perfect time to grab this guy, he's available on many WW and you might be wise to stat reading up on the guy. He can be that spark they need out of the slot, line up and run out of the back field, they can use him all over and he will learn and get better. He's small, real small, but I could see a Darren Sproles type developing...Blackmon comes back in 3 more weeks, add him into the mix and you can see a blueprint for what the next QB is going to have to work with. I think Jacksonville is simply a QB away from being very competitive once all parts of the offense are healthy and on the field. Alright so that's my Ace Sanders hype and Jax in 2015.

The Raiders seem a little better than first advertised. Pryor makes plays and since there isn't a lot of film on this guy especially lately, I can see where this guy could be like a Cam Newton-Lite and have some very respectable middle of the road FF numbers. Now I would not want to start him every week and I hope you don't need to either but you could do worse this week. Let's talk about the WRs, both Moore and Rod Streater have some value right now. I like Streater this week and if you have McFadden you better ride him now while he is healthy. Are the Raiders really gonna spank the Jags or is this more of an overreaction of Jax getting blanked last week and Oakland not losing by 20 to Indy?

Final Score: Oakland 23...Jacksonville 7

You seem to have a little confidence in Lamar Miller this week.

You also don't mention Joique Bell.

Bell could be utilized pretty well with Bush's injury and goal to go touches.

If you believe the hype trains around here, Miller could go for 250 yards and a couple Tds.

What are your thoughts on both as I'm guessing both of these guys are on the cusps of many teams' flex spots?

My gut says start Bell. Most projections and rankings say start Miller. Was last week an anomaly for both players? If so, I think Miller probably has more upside depending on what side of the hype train you are on.

San Francisco at Seattle (-3) (44.5)

Batten down the hatches, and be on the lookout for undercover 49ers at the Hawk's Nest this weekend. Sunday Night Football has the best match ups and this week we get another heated division rivalry. A lot is at stake for Seattle in this game, in order to be a Super Bowl contender you gotta be the best in your division 1st and right now I don't believe they are. San Fran is simply more dynamic on offense right now and as much as we all like Wilson for Seattle and love his story, you would be blind to not see what Colin Kaepernick brings to the table and that leads me to the part of this thread I wanted to discuss. Why is San Francisco the most successful of all the read option and pistol formation offenses? BTW, Dan Marino ran the pistol, he simply threw the ball every time. That formation where the QB is in shotgun with 1 guy on each side of him...yeah marino used to have a RB on his left to help pass protect and Jim "Crash" Jensen would line up on his right and would be the check down on 3rd and 5 when they had to pass. Now why the hell am I bringing up Dan stinkin' Marino in this post. Well the reason I bring it up is it's the same reason Kaepernick is destroying the NFL right now. I've seen this story before, QB takes team to playoffs his rookie year(OK, 2nd), marino took over for an ineffective David Woodley and lost to Seattle in the 1983 playoffs before he smoked the NFL in 1984. OK enough Marino.

The reason Kaepernick is so successful in the read option is he rarely runs with the football. How many times do you think he ran out of the read-option last year? Wanna guess? Did you say 50? Not hardly, try 12. Last week he didn't run much out of it either. Oh sure he scrambles and takes off but that's not being done out of the read option so when you watch him destroy Seattle this weekend and you watch other teams like Washington who were way to reliant on it last year with RGIII running for almost 800 yds, you can't sustain a QB if you set him up to run that much. Harbaugh understands QB longevity and health, the offense he has put together exposes Kaepernick to the least amount of abuse.

Do I really think San Fran is going to destroy Seattle? I think Russell Wilson will make a game out of it, I'm a fan of that guy and I do think Seattle will be playing from behind so i want to see how Wilson handles that. Can he take the team on his back and throw for 350/3 TD if that is what is needed to win the game? I see a lot of outlets imploring owners to stick with Tate this week, I'm not one of them. Seattle has to get Lynch rolling against SF, not impossible but I didn't see a fluid running game last week. Green Bay couldn't run a lot on SF las week.

Final Score: San Fran 34...Seattle 17, I hope its a good game but I have a feeling SF is gonna distance themselves.

MOP, did you factor in an 80% chance of rain tomorrow night in Seattle? Seems like a lot of points for SF.

MOP, did you factor in an 80% chance of rain tomorrow night in Seattle? Seems like a lot of points for SF.
Good info Ponch, that might change a few things on a sloppy track.

Kaepernick can throw a ball thru a brick wall, he can certainly chuck it in the rain. Gale force winds or just drizzle?

The Saints have a laundry list of injuries in their secondary. Jabari Greer, Roman Harper, Patrick Robinson, and Corey White are all questionable. If the Bucs can ignore the distractions and come together this week they could put up a lot of points and possibly pull out a win. The defense will be able to get some stops.

I'm debating starting Josh Freeman over Russell Wilson. Obviously the shootout potential is a lot higher in Tampa. I believe in Josh more than most, and he lit the Saints up last season in their matchup in Tampa. If at least two of those Saints end up being out he'll probably be in my lineup.
Good info on the injuries, I didn't realize that. VJax is obviously an autostart but Tampa Mike owners may be more inclined to plug him in over other options if these guys end up missing the game...

Batten down the hatches, and be on the lookout for undercover 49ers at the Hawk's Nest this weekend. Sunday Night Football has the best match ups and this week we get another heated division rivalry. A lot is at stake for Seattle in this game, in order to be a Super Bowl contender you gotta be the best in your division 1st and right now I don't believe they are. San Fran is simply more dynamic on offense right now and as much as we all like Wilson for Seattle and love his story, you would be blind to not see what Colin Kaepernick brings to the table and that leads me to the part of this thread I wanted to discuss. Why is San Francisco the most successful of all the read option and pistol formation offenses? BTW, Dan Marino ran the pistol, he simply threw the ball every time. That formation where the QB is in shotgun with 1 guy on each side of him...yeah marino used to have a RB on his left to help pass protect and Jim "Crash" Jensen would line up on his right and would be the check down on 3rd and 5 when they had to pass. Now why the hell am I bringing up Dan stinkin' Marino in this post. Well the reason I bring it up is it's the same reason Kaepernick is destroying the NFL right now. I've seen this story before, QB takes team to playoffs his rookie year(OK, 2nd), marino took over for an ineffective David Woodley and lost to Seattle in the 1983 playoffs before he smoked the NFL in 1984. OK enough Marino.

The reason Kaepernick is so successful in the read option is he rarely runs with the football. How many times do you think he ran out of the read-option last year? Wanna guess? Did you say 50? Not hardly, try 12. Last week he didn't run much out of it either. Oh sure he scrambles and takes off but that's not being done out of the read option so when you watch him destroy Seattle this weekend and you watch other teams like Washington who were way to reliant on it last year with RGIII running for almost 800 yds, you can't sustain a QB if you set him up to run that much. Harbaugh understands QB longevity and health, the offense he has put together exposes Kaepernick to the least amount of abuse.

Do I really think San Fran is going to destroy Seattle? I think Russell Wilson will make a game out of it, I'm a fan of that guy and I do think Seattle will be playing from behind so i want to see how Wilson handles that. Can he take the team on his back and throw for 350/3 TD if that is what is needed to win the game? I see a lot of outlets imploring owners to stick with Tate this week, I'm not one of them. Seattle has to get Lynch rolling against SF, not impossible but I didn't see a fluid running game last week. Green Bay couldn't run a lot on SF las week.

Final Score: San Fran 34...Seattle 17, I hope its a good game but I have a feeling SF is gonna distance themselves.
42 -13 Seahawks last year MOP

HoTnickZ said:
I don't agree with you at all about Deangelo. I think he will outproduce his ADP by a fair margin.
noted and I hope u r right but he just doesn't score so it's like 80 total yds...the offense in Carolina in general not looking real good right now.

The other sleeper to watch for tomorrow for THE ONLY FLORIDA TEAM THAT DOESN'T OPT FOR THE 85% BLACKOUT RULE is

TE Clay Harbor

Marcedes still looking doubtful. Harbor was just picked up the week before KC. He has had another week of practice with the team.

Not expecting huge numbers for MJD but I could see something more satisfactory like 16/65 and 30 recv. Ponder this

The Jaguars couldn't do anything on offense in Week 1, yet Maurice Jones-Drew, arguably the team's best player, was given the ball just 15 times. I'd expect he gets the ball more in Week 2, but will it matter? The run blocking by the offensive line, as a whole, was terrible against the Chiefs.

Lucky for the Jaguars, the Raiders aren't the Chiefs. While they were somewhat impressive against the Colts, they allowed an average of 6.4 yards on 12 run plays directly up the middle. The Jaguars ran 16 of their 23 runs against the Chiefs up the middle, but gained only 3.1 yards per carry.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/9/13/4723164/jaguars-vs-raiders-2013-the-bcc-preview-extravaganza/in/4476333

Ministry of Pain said:
BTW, Dan Marino ran the pistol, he simply threw the ball every time. That formation where the QB is in shotgun with 1 guy on each side of him...
I thought the pistol was where the QB lines up in a "mini" shotgun and the back lines up behind him?

ScottyDog said:
Ministry of Pain said:

Excellent point, but SF went to the Super Bowl and I believe they will showcase themselves this weekend. I feel Seattle still needs some work and 2013 could be a step back for them before they move forward. Harvin was a big chunk of the offense to just go missing for 2-3 months of the season. I think Seattle Week 15 is gonna be a lot different than this weekend. One team looks to be in mid season form, the other looks like they are finding themselves.

Sandeman said:
MOP, despite the Shark Pool being in a freefall in terms of usefulness, I want you to know I've always appreciated these posts.
I have to agree as I too appreciate your work MOP.

Ministry of Pain said:
BTW, Dan Marino ran the pistol, he simply threw the ball every time. That formation where the QB is in shotgun with 1 guy on each side of him...
I thought the pistol was where the QB lines up in a "mini" shotgun and the back lines up behind him?
I don't put it past TV commentators to give the wrong information on TV but I keep seeing the pistol called every time a QB is in the shotgun...it's like the term shotgun has vanished. I'm not trying to be Archie Bunker here but I agree with you that it probably is mini shotgun with 1 RB lined up behind, in fact that sounds right but again every time I look up and the QB is in the shotgun, RB to his left or right, another guy in motion perhaps, 3 WRs/TE set up wide for the most part...apparently that's the pistol as well. I bring this up because CK doesn't really run that much out of these formations, a couple times a game Harbaugh designs a run play for CK but mostly he is improvising IMO off of shotgun style formations or if you want to call it the pistol. Good post.

Sandeman said:
MOP, despite the Shark Pool being in a freefall in terms of usefulness, I want you to know I've always appreciated these posts.
I have to agree as I too appreciate your work MOP.
All we're doing here is sharing moods and gut feelings about the games with a few facts and figures sprinkled in. I get more out of these threads than you all do because folks always come in and add more information to either strengthen or weaken my opinions, I appreciate all of it and allows us to make more informed decisions.

I do appreciate the kind words.

Ministry of Pain said:
I don't put it past TV commentators to give the wrong information on TV but I keep seeing the pistol called every time a QB is in the shotgun...it's like the term shotgun has vanished. I'm not trying to be Archie Bunker here but I agree with you that it probably is mini shotgun with 1 RB lined up behind, in fact that sounds right but again every time I look up and the QB is in the shotgun, RB to his left or right, another guy in motion perhaps, 3 WRs/TE set up wide for the most part...apparently that's the pistol as well. I bring this up because CK doesn't really run that much out of these formations, a couple times a game Harbaugh designs a run play for CK but mostly he is improvising IMO off of shotgun style formations or if you want to call it the pistol. Good post.
Yea I see what you're talking about... though it makes sense that the pistol formation derives its name from being a "mini" shotgun. Regardless, you're right, they don't run out of it as many times as the talking heads would have you believe. In fact sometimes Kap will do a play fake even if there's no RB there because the threat that he could possibly take off freezes the linebackers in their drop back. The fact that he is able to exploit this thoroughly as seen last week probably opened a lot of eyes.

Yea I see what you're talking about... though it makes sense that the pistol formation derives its name from being a "mini" shotgun. Regardless, you're right, they don't run out of it as many times as the talking heads would have you believe. In fact sometimes Kap will do a play fake even if there's no RB there because the threat that he could possibly take off freezes the linebackers in their drop back. The fact that he is able to exploit this thoroughly as seen last week probably opened a lot of eyes.
Exactly, and that's my ringing theme on him this week. Others will follow and in a couple weeks the talking heads will show everyone that he is really a pocket passer and to me that's what he is but obviously he has another gear in his arsenal to escape pressure or problems and improvise, and then make plays out of the pocket where has shown to be deadly. Guy is redefining the position. It's not like folks don't think he is good, I'm just saying he might have a chance to be the best of his generation. I have had Andrew Luck on top of that pedestal for a while but I am thinking of making a change.

Sandeman said:
I've always look forward to your pre-game writeups.

Daywalker said:
Not making my Sproles, Floyd or Randle for a flex spot any easier.
I'm having plenty of difficulty due to injuries at the WR spot trying to pick between Dez, Julio, and Fitz with Nicks on the bench in a start 3 WR league.

snogger said:
Biabreakable said:
when the Vikes are 1-6
This is almost optimistic compared to what some people think. Who will the Vikings beat?
I posted this in the Vikings thread.. I think they lose to the Bears to go to 0-2.

Then win at home vs. Carolina and then somehow beat the Steelers in London to go to 2-2.. forcing us to watch Ponder during a brutal stretch of games and they are 2-8 and decide to move on to Cassel.. and a game or two later completely give up on the season and move onto the McLeod.

Going to be a LONG season as we watch Alex Smith do exactly what was needed here... manage the game, don't turn the ball over, and make the playoffs :kicksrock:
Bah. Alex Smith is just Christian Ponder with 4 more years of trauma. Doom and Gloom. :cool:

ScottyDog said:
Ministry of Pain said:

Excellent point, but SF went to the Super Bowl and I believe they will showcase themselves this weekend. I feel Seattle still needs some work and 2013 could be a step back for them before they move forward. Harvin was a big chunk of the offense to just go missing for 2-3 months of the season. I think Seattle Week 15 is gonna be a lot different than this weekend. One team looks to be in mid season form, the other looks like they are finding themselves.
Did they really lose Harvin if he was never there though? It's not like they had worked him in as a heavy target for half the season...he was never there. Seattle is essentially the same team as last year. They had a cross country flight to play a team with a very good front seven, and they found a way to win. I like them to establish their #1 team in the NFC ranking in this game.

Users who are viewing this thread