What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

Rams RB may be good for 1 week. Does D-rich get one more shot? If not, Cunningham could be a pickup.

Nate Washington, Austin Pettis and Jerome Simpson - Simpson might be an easy grab and stash since he is on bye this week.
Pettis is too far down the pecking order and their offense doesn't produce a lot for FF.

Coradelle is Simpson's backup and it's hard to make WDIS decisions with Simpson because of this.
Pettis is Bradford's safety valve and his value is based on THIS week against the Jags. You are right though that he is NOT a long term option.

With ADP on bye and the cluster#### that is Mathews/Medenhall/J Bell/D Richardson on the crew....I may try for R Jennings or J Franklin. Undecided as yet.

The Buffalo WR Woods is my priority add. With Stevie Johnson nursing a hammy, Woods will only get targeted more and get the opportunity to develop chemistry with his fellow rookie Manuel. Just won't be starting him this week. But going forward, yeah I think I got a WR3 slot open for him down the road.

I say Woods is the add for this week.

Someone dropped D. Rich and I have no idea what kind of value he is to bid on him, but he's the only remotely decent RB add on the WW.

With ADP on bye and the cluster#### that is Mathews/Medenhall/J Bell/D Richardson on the crew....I may try for R Jennings or J Franklin. Undecided as yet.
I am in the same boat, but as a McFadden owner, I figure Jennings is a perfect insurance policy for the week.

Would you rather pick up Woodhead or L. Bell going forward?
I'd pick up Bell.
I agree. Woodhead is unlikely to have another multi-TD game all season. He will continue to provide a decent amount of receptions for PPR'ers, however. Pittsburgh should be leaning on Bell.

Preemptive Pickups:

Mike Goodson: Don't sleep on this one. Goodson has been all but forgotten about, but the Jets have been having some success running the ball, and Goodson is an upgrade over Bilal Powell. Goodson has the skills to be an every-down feature back. This is your opportunity to still grab him cheap.

Lance Dunbar: Dunbar has shown little thus far since coming back from his preseason injury, but Dallas has been leaning on the running game more, and Murray, like McFadden, has a history of not being able to hold up for a prolonged period. When Murray misses time in the trainer's room, you will want Dunbar on your team. You can likely grab him now for peanuts.

Preemptive Pickups:

Mike Goodson: Don't sleep on this one. Goodson has been all but forgotten about, but the Jets have been having some success running the ball, and Goodson is an upgrade over Bilal Powell. Goodson has the skills to be an every-down feature back. This is your opportunity to still grab him cheap.
Was Goodson brought in to be the feature back, but couldn't due to the injury? I don't know enough about the situation to be honest. Do you think he will overtake Powell sooner rather than later?

I like the line of thinking, but why would NY go away from Powell? He's been solid and productive. They stuck with Greene for 2 years, I doubt they go away from Powell just cuz.

Goodson isn't going to steal away the lead role from Powell unless there's an injury. But he may eat into the carries a lot of Powell owners were counting on moving forward when he was the hot pickup of the week. Goodson's a pretty good back, can catch the ball well. Going forward, he'll have a role. Not enough to warrant picking him up, but just enough to piss off Powelll owners.

Why would they bench Powell for Goodson? That makes no sense. Goodson was brought in to complement Ivory. Powell won the job due to Ivory's injury in camp and stuck with it. If anything this will be a RBBC between Powell & Goodson.

I think Goodson's role will primarily be KO returns. He may take Alex Green's carries but unless Powell gets worse, I don't see it affecting Powell much.

The Buffalo WR Woods is my priority add. With Stevie Johnson nursing a hammy, Woods will only get targeted more and get the opportunity to develop chemistry with his fellow rookie Manuel. Just won't be starting him this week. But going forward, yeah I think I got a WR3 slot open for him down the road.
Raiderfan32904 no start this week?? Is this due to matchup issue or the Thursday night curse??

Thanks!!

Raiderfan32904 no start this week?? Is this due to matchup issue or the Thursday night curse??

Thanks!!
I'm afraid he might get matched up on Hayden if S Jones is out. If S Jones is active, he might be a decent start. I'm not at all worried about any Thursday Night curse.

Thanks!!
I'm afraid he might get matched up on Hayden if S Jones is out. If S Jones is active, he might be a decent start. I'm not at all worried about any Thursday Night curse.
Do you think Woods has more upside ROS than A. Jeffery?? Both are available on my WW and I am torn...leaning towards Woods cause of possible more targets without a WR like Marshall there...what do you think? Thanks!

Preemptive Pickups:

Was Goodson brought in to be the feature back, but couldn't due to the injury? I don't know enough about the situation to be honest. Do you think he will overtake Powell sooner rather than later?
Goodson was derailed due to his arrest, his absence from training camp (rehab??), his multitude of off-field issues and ultimately his 4-game suspension. The Jets were likely enamored with Goodson's speed and versatility, and while he was brought in prior to Ivory, I think the idea was combine Goodson's finesse with Ivory's more rugged running style.

Bilal Powell has been running with success, and while I believe Goodson is an upgrade as a runner, his prolonged absence has put him well behind in understanding and executing protection schemes, which will likely limit his touches for awhile. However, what I expect to see from Goodson is a burst that is lacking in Bilal Powell's game, and if Goodson is able to rip off a few long runs, I would not be at all surprised to see the Jets trying to shorten Goodson's learning curve to get him on the field more.

I believe in Goodson's talent, and I do not see Bilal Powell as being an insurmountable obstacle to Goodson getting enough playing time to be fantasy relevant. He can likely be had for next to nothing, and there are very few backs with his ability and a potential opportunity just hanging around on the waiver wire.

Thanks!!
Do you think Woods has more upside ROS than A. Jeffery?? Both are available on my WW and I am torn...leaning towards Woods cause of possible more targets without a WR like Marshall there...what do you think? Thanks!
I like Woods better than Jeffery for the remainder simply because of the target distribution. Jeffery is the #4 target in this offense behind Marshall, Bennett and Forte. He fooled us last season early on by having a great game in Week 1 and then fell off the face of the earth. Woods on the other hand has almost no competition for targets besides Stevie Johnson who is currently banged up. If he were to miss the game this week Woods could continue to develop good chemistry with Manuel. Getting a rookie QBs trust is often the best thing for a WR... think Steve Smith and Cam or Luck and Wayne.

In the end... there's a 50/50 shot that Woods becomes Manuel's #1 target. There's a 0% chance Jeffery becomes Cutler's #1 target, short of Forte and Marshall both going down for extended time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we expect that Goodson will be introduced slowly ? I picked up Powell for the upcoming bye week, presumably Goodson on his first week back with the team will not eat into Powell's body of work noticeably ? Beyond the next couple of weeks, I'm not too bothered

Can we expect that Goodson will be introduced slowly ? I picked up Powell for the upcoming bye week, presumably Goodson on his first week back with the team will not eat into Powell's body of work noticeably ? Beyond the next couple of weeks, I'm not too bothered
I don't think you need to be too worried about Goodson for the immediate future. Goodson will have had so few reps with this offense, and I expect ball security to be an issue that will be stressed heavily in practice this week, as well as in the game. Goodson will likely prove to be a liability in picking up his blocking assignments until he gets more reps in practice. I expect the Jets to ease Goodson into game action. If there is a concern for Week #5, it could be Ivory, if he is able to get on the field, although Powell has clearly outplayed him thus far, to the extent Ivory has played at all.

I am desperate to grab a rb this week - what do you guys think of Benny Cunningham going against the Jags this week? I know Rams rb situation is a mess but going vs the worst run def in the league.

I am desperate to grab a rb this week - what do you guys think of Benny Cunningham going against the Jags this week? I know Rams rb situation is a mess but going vs the worst run def in the league.
That is a desperation move, certainly. I suppose it depends on Richardson's status. I would be more inclined to make a run at Rashad Jennings to fill the gaps this week, if it is an option.

Jennings would be first choice. Choice might be 2nd. Although if he bombs on TH night you'll be looking at that 0 for 2 days.

Jennings is gone in my league - my current rbs are D Martin(bye), Ridley, Ivory, Bolden, Hunter and Pead... very ugly i know. Its a non-PPR league

looking @ our rb free agents the following are available:

Blount

D Scott

Ogbonnya

Battle

D Brown

Tolbert

K Robinson

As I said scraping the bottom of the barrel here... any suggestions?

Jennings is gone in my league - my current rbs are D Martin(bye), Ridley, Ivory, Bolden, Hunter and Pead... very ugly i know. Its a non-PPR league

Blount

D Scott

Ogbonnya

Battle

D Brown

Tolbert

K Robinson

If it were me I'd target Ogbonnaya and Blount.

OG is on the field ALOT for the Browns (he serves as FB/RB), he hasnt been phased out quite yet (he had a nice game the past few days)

Blount -- he's a NE RB, who knows? He had a decent amt of carries past few games.

Blount

D Scott

Ogbonnya

Battle

D Brown

Tolbert

K Robinson

If it were me I'd target Ogbonnaya and Blount.

OG is on the field ALOT for the Browns (he serves as FB/RB), he hasnt been phased out quite yet (he had a nice game the past few days)

Blount -- he's a NE RB, who knows? He had a decent amt of carries past few games.
Agreed. Those are the two I would be targeting as well.

Thanks!!
I like Woods better than Jeffery for the remainder simply because of the target distribution. Jeffery is the #4 target in this offense behind Marshall, Bennett and Forte. He fooled us last season early on by having a great game in Week 1 and then fell off the face of the earth. Woods on the other hand has almost no competition for targets besides Stevie Johnson who is currently banged up. If he were to miss the game this week Woods could continue to develop good chemistry with Manuel. Getting a rookie QBs trust is often the best thing for a WR... think Steve Smith and Cam or Luck and Wayne.

In the end... there's a 50/50 shot that Woods becomes Manuel's #1 target. There's a 0% chance Jeffery becomes Cutler's #1 target, short of Forte and Marshall both going down for extended time.
I agree with this. Really it comes down to Jeffry's upside ROS being limited compared to Woods. Good posting.

Why would they bench Powell for Goodson? That makes no sense. Goodson was brought in to complement Ivory. Powell won the job due to Ivory's injury in camp and stuck with it. If anything this will be a RBBC between Powell & Goodson.
Goodson was brought in way before they traded for Ivory. He was also signed for $2m per year, so he wasn't brought in as a spare back-up. He's more talented than Powell, but unfortunately he seems like a knucklehead. I'm pretty sure Powell would have been the third RB, but he seized the reps when Goodson got into trouble and Ivory hurt his hammy.

Goodson was brought in way before they traded for Ivory. He was also signed for $2m per year, so he wasn't brought in as a spare back-up. He's more talented than Powell, but unfortunately he seems like a knucklehead. I'm pretty sure Powell would have been the third RB, but he seized the reps when Goodson got into trouble and Ivory hurt his hammy.
Im buying a ticket for Goodson

When your RB's are L. Bell, D. Richardson, D. Woodhead, K. Robinson, M. Bush -- what other choice do you have?

Someone dropped Miles Austin in my league. Should he be an immediate pickup?
Conventional wisdom is probably yes, grab him. Nevertheless, I cannot help but thinking Austin will be nursing his hamstring off and on for a number of weeks. So I guess it depends on your league and size of your roster.

Thanks!!

Jeffery already is tied for 2nd in targets with 32. When he fell off the earth, he broke his hand and then had knee surgery. That may have had something to with his disappearance.

Off the top of my head (and he has obviously already been mentioned), I'd consider Kerley, based on the status of the other NYJ WR's.

Woods is probably a nice pickup going forward but if Stevie Johnson misses Thursday nights game, that likely puts Woods up against Joe Haden. Even if Stevie is playing, this is still a tough matchup on paper for the Bills passing offense to handle. I would definitely get Woods if you're looking for rising value for the ROS but if you just need a one week bye/injury fill in, you could probably do better elsewhere.

Hoosier16 said:
Khy said:
Benny227 said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Benny227 said:

Thanks!!

Jeffery already is tied for 2nd in targets with 32. When he fell off the earth, he broke his hand and then had knee surgery. That may have had something to with his disappearance.
Glad I didnt Hipple and read up to the last post. I was going to say essentially the same thing in regards to Alshon. I was disappointed in his chances the first couple weeks, but he was the focal point of CHI's 1st drive week 3 which are premeditated plays (I believe he had 4/41) and had double digit targets last week. The injuries definitely derailed him last year, and to me he looks like he's in better shape and faster this year. As far as the passing game goes, he and Bennet are 2a and 2b.

I like Woods and said as much in the thread as he is my target this week, but no way Id take him over Jeffery. At worst its a coinflip, so give me the guy in the much better offense in that case.

What's the deal with Nate Washington ? He's sitting on my WW, but tbh, I don't know anything about him - is he the main WR in Tennessee right now ?
Damian was the main WR yesterday.

Nate has been their best WR this year and got plenty of work last game. The bomb was sorely underthrown yet the DB didn't do a thing to stop it really. Nate mistakenly yet amusingly used the ref like a basketball screen and scored. Take that bomb with a grain of salt, but still he has been their best WR.

I was under the impression the Titans passing attack finally arrived and then Locker got hurt. Fitz looked so rusty there's not much to gauge on him from the second half.

Nate isn't available in any league I'm in after his stellar game a week or two ago. Whatever you look for in a WW WR I figure he's got it, so he's well worth a shot. I can't imagine there's any better (stat wise) on the WW. I mean you can't usually pickup a teams top WR in week 5.
I dont see the point in going after Williams, especially with Locker out for awhile.

socrates said:
Someone dropped Miles Austin in my league. Should he be an immediate pickup?
Conventional wisdom is probably yes, grab him. Nevertheless, I cannot help but thinking Austin will be nursing his hamstring off and on for a number of weeks. So I guess it depends on your league and size of your roster.
I only have RG3 at QB who is on bye this week, and the only guys Im even considering dropping are Pierce, Rueben Randle, or Miles. Id like to try to trade Pierce to the Rice owner, but with Rivers on the WW I dont think I can wait for that. IMO he still has too much value because of Rice's current health, so I dont think I can drop him. Miles wasnt all that productive the first couple weeks when healthy, and that was even before Murray started being productive. Randle on the other hand had a big week 1, but has struggled since against tough defenses but probably more importantly Manning looking like ####.

Im probably overthinking this and will drop Randle, but he's got a really juicy schedule the next few weeks. I dont want to deal with the Austin Hammy Headache, but Im guessing I can drop Randle and still pick him up before Sunday if I can pull off a trade that frees up a bench spot.

fozzy whittaker?
Shall I start the hype train?

Seriously though, I wasn't even aware the Browns had signed him yesterday so this is a situation to keep an eye on. Of course, as a UT alumnus I may be biased as to his potential.

Why would Haden shadow Stevie if he played? Stevie is playing out of the slot, Haden has no business covering the slot guy.

Users who are viewing this thread