What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickups (1 Viewer)

I am going to second the don't drop Powell side. I actually go to school where Powell did and spoke to some of his former teammates and they both think that he has the ability to succeed at the next level. Said he was buried at K-State for some tertiary reasons, but that they didn't doubt he would have success.

Coach Mike McCarthy was not happy with Alex Green's Week 7 performance.

Green managed just 35 yards on 20 carries (1.75 YPC). "I thought we left too many hard yards on the field. There were too many 1-, 2-yard runs that should have been hardball 3-, 4-, 5-yard runs," McCarthy said. "We need to improve that aspect of our offense." Perhaps James Starks will get a chance against the Jags in Week 8. Starks had zero touches against the Rams.

Related: James Starks

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Oct 23 - 11:30 AM

God help me if I had to sign Chris Cooley as my TE off the waiver wire. Don't get me wrong as I'd always been a Cooley fan and the guy produced when he played. Had no trouble starting him.Wouldn't do that now though. Surely there has to be some guys on the wire that could temporarily fill in. Dreesen's not getting a lot of yards but he's catching TD's. Chance that Dustin Keller in on the wire and you know someone will pick him up. Maybe guys like Brandon Myers from Oakland or Fasano from Miami. Peruse over the TE's stats,schedule and depth at the position and you should be able to come up with a viable solution to the TE problem rather than just going out and picking up Cooley. He might have a couple nice games but for me, he's done.

Jonathan DwyerRashad JenningsLaRod Stephens-HowlingDustin Keller
I'm about as big a Steelers fan as any and almost always see the glass half-full. However, if you'd consider taking Dwyer over Jennings, with a straight face, you should probably have your head checked tomorrow morning.

Rashad Jennings

Shane Vereen

Ryan Broyles

Dustin Keller

Santana Moss

Brandon Stokely

In that order, I'd move Keller above Broyles if you need a TE. I think Stokely could be a solid WR3 in PPR leagues, the Broncos have a great schedule and he has great chemistry with Peyton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about as big a Steelers fan as any and almost always see the glass half-full. However, if you'd consider taking Dwyer over Jennings, with a straight face, you should probably have your head checked tomorrow morning.
So......where would A. Brown, Giants fit in this "pecking order"?

Tanner needs to be one everyone's list in case Murray's injury lingers. Felix is not the answer and even saw less snaps than Tanner last week despite the touch distribution.

I was not listing them in any particular order, and in no way would I suggest Dwyer should be considered ahead of Jennings with the news that MJD is likely to miss extended time. Jennings immediately steps in as a three-down back. Dwyer may have earned the right to a shot as the lead of a RBBC, but upon the return of Redman and Mendenhall, assuming they return to health, Dwyer is not likely to get consistent enough touches to make him anything more than a weekly flex play.These are some obvious "reactionary" waiver wire guys. Phillip Tanner is certainly worth consideration as well, if he is still out there. I am concerned that Murray could miss more time than the Cowboys are letting on, and as anyone who has ever owned Felix Jones knows, he cannot stay healthy long enough to be counted on. Already, Jones is nicked up.Joique Bell was in the game in some key situations, and despite his fumble, he was back out there as the game wound down. Shane Vereen got in the game (he even started), and he is undoubtedly talented enough to carve out a role. Vereen could be a Ridley fumble away from being very significant in any given week. Titus Young will be pushed by Broyles, but I actually like Young better of the two. If the Lions can get their offense going again (and Stafford stops eating the turf), either, or both, of these wideouts could be good adds.I think Hankerson is being overlooked somewhat by people. Santana Moss showed he still has some gas left in his tank, but with Garcon still out and now Fred Davis gone, I like Hankerson to benefit the most. He is a big guy who has a knack for making big plays going back to his days at Miami. Speaking of Fred Davis, for those of us who are scrambling at the TE position, Rob Housler should come at a discount compared to Keller, and Skelton looked toward him quite a bit Week 7.Shonn Greene took a shot to the head, but came back into the game. This is a good reminder to watch his backup. Although Bilal Powell may not be back until after the Jets' week 9 bye, I still like him, not McKnight or Grimes, to be the primary backup. Another Powell, William Powell, may still be a factor as well. LSH looked really good this week, but expecting him to hold up as an every-down back may not be realistic. If William Powell is dropped this week, he could be an inexpensive add for teams with an extra bench spot. DMac continues to struggle, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Goodson get some more carries. He has looked explosive when he has been in the game. It is surprising he is still available in leagues.Two deeper guys I like: Cedric Peerman got in the endzone on his lone carry, but the Lawfirm is not wowing anyone, so it is not unthinkable that Peerman could start getting some more looks. Also, Jamie Harper is now the handcuff for Chris Johnson. Harper cannot be counted on to score off the bench, like he did twice this week, but there would likely be a mad dash to add Harper if CJ were to get injured.

I was not listing them in any particular order, and in no way would I suggest Dwyer should be considered ahead of Jennings with the news that MJD is likely to miss extended time. Jennings immediately steps in as a three-down back. Dwyer may have earned the right to a shot as the lead of a RBBC, but upon the return of Redman and Mendenhall, assuming they return to health, Dwyer is not likely to get consistent enough touches to make him anything more than a weekly flex play.These are some obvious "reactionary" waiver wire guys. Phillip Tanner is certainly worth consideration as well, if he is still out there. I am concerned that Murray could miss more time than the Cowboys are letting on, and as anyone who has ever owned Felix Jones knows, he cannot stay healthy long enough to be counted on. Already, Jones is nicked up.Joique Bell was in the game in some key situations, and despite his fumble, he was back out there as the game wound down. Shane Vereen got in the game (he even started), and he is undoubtedly talented enough to carve out a role. Vereen could be a Ridley fumble away from being very significant in any given week. Titus Young will be pushed by Broyles, but I actually like Young better of the two. If the Lions can get their offense going again (and Stafford stops eating the turf), either, or both, of these wideouts could be good adds.I think Hankerson is being overlooked somewhat by people. Santana Moss showed he still has some gas left in his tank, but with Garcon still out and now Fred Davis gone, I like Hankerson to benefit the most. He is a big guy who has a knack for making big plays going back to his days at Miami. Speaking of Fred Davis, for those of us who are scrambling at the TE position, Rob Housler should come at a discount compared to Keller, and Skelton looked toward him quite a bit Week 7.Shonn Greene took a shot to the head, but came back into the game. This is a good reminder to watch his backup. Although Bilal Powell may not be back until after the Jets' week 9 bye, I still like him, not McKnight or Grimes, to be the primary backup. Another Powell, William Powell, may still be a factor as well. LSH looked really good this week, but expecting him to hold up as an every-down back may not be realistic. If William Powell is dropped this week, he could be an inexpensive add for teams with an extra bench spot. DMac continues to struggle, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Goodson get some more carries. He has looked explosive when he has been in the game. It is surprising he is still available in leagues.Two deeper guys I like: Cedric Peerman got in the endzone on his lone carry, but the Lawfirm is not wowing anyone, so it is not unthinkable that Peerman could start getting some more looks. Also, Jamie Harper is now the handcuff for Chris Johnson. Harper cannot be counted on to score off the bench, like he did twice this week, but there would likely be a mad dash to add Harper if CJ were to get injured.
Ah, my bad. Great post. :thumbup:

What about the likes of David Wilson & Hillman? I know Hillman was on a bye and Wilson...well, didn't do anything at all this week.

But as mentioned previously, it's never a bad idea to have RB depth and both are an injury (or 2 in the case of Wilson) away from a starting role.

How would we rank those 2 vs. say:

Vereen

Titus Young

Broyles

etc...

What about the likes of David Wilson & Hillman? I know Hillman was on a bye and Wilson...well, didn't do anything at all this week. But as mentioned previously, it's never a bad idea to have RB depth and both are an injury (or 2 in the case of Wilson) away from a starting role. How would we rank those 2 vs. say:VereenTitus YoungBroylesetc...
David Wilson - a function of bench size and recordHillman - not interestedbroyles - ok if wr are scarce and you have space -- sea game might be goodvereen - not too excited -- for desperate rb scroungersyoung - picked him up everywhere I could get him

Titus Young and Broyles now that Bureleson is out for the year.
Ditto on Titus. He might just have relevance now.
Screw Titus. He's a lazy wannabe star without the work ethic. Broyles though is intriguing. He looks like he's taking advantage of his chance. Could be a good pickup.
Both were making really nice plays once Burleson went down, which makes it really tough to determine who is going to be more productive going forward. There is a lot of hype right about now with Broyles just like there WAS a lot of hype for Young - until he showed us how much of a bum he could be. I'd like to believe that Young's got a clean slate due to the fact that his opportunity has greatly increased. I was able to pick up Titus Young this week on waivers but Broyles is still floating out there. I am strongly considering rostering both and seeing who emerges. I have a feeling I will be pulling my hair out week to week trying to figure out the better start.

Titus Young and Broyles now that Bureleson is out for the year.
Ditto on Titus. He might just have relevance now.
Screw Titus. He's a lazy wannabe star without the work ethic. Broyles though is intriguing. He looks like he's taking advantage of his chance. Could be a good pickup.
Both were making really nice plays once Burleson went down, which makes it really tough to determine who is going to be more productive going forward. There is a lot of hype right about now with Broyles just like there WAS a lot of hype for Young - until he showed us how much of a bum he could be. I'd like to believe that Young's got a clean slate due to the fact that his opportunity has greatly increased. I was able to pick up Titus Young this week on waivers but Broyles is still floating out there. I am strongly considering rostering both and seeing who emerges. I have a feeling I will be pulling my hair out week to week trying to figure out the better start.
I drafted Young this year so maybe I'm a little jaded. But all the bonehead plays and penalties he's had this year make me just ignore him. Broyles looked like he ran hard and played good for the brief time he was in there. That can boost the confidence of a struggling QB like Stafford. I just see it as Stafford knows what Titus brings and might subconsciously lean towards Broyles when Calvin is covered.

I dunno about his work ethic, but putting "Young Sr." on the back of your jersey takes a pretty massive ego.As for Broyles, 3 career receptions. Hard to get too excited. He's got a long way to go to fantasy relevance (although he may get the opportunity).

Actually P Thomas is on my wire. He's the "starter" in NO but not sure that puts him in the same category...

Should I drop W Powell for him?

Possibly stupid question i know...

Users who are viewing this thread