What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week One WR Diamonds in the Rough (1 Viewer)

PACKER 7

Footballguy
I wanted to get a feel for who everyone is thinking will be a "sneaky" WR play in week one.

By this I mean guys who are not studs by nature, but may have a breakout week. Lower tier guys.

I'll start by listing some players I think could have that type of week.

Devery Henderson: Colts D is suspect to say the least and if the WR2 spot is going to put up any numbers for the Saints this week is probably the best chance. Colston will draw double coverage most likely, and then everyone else will be focused on Bush and Deuce. I like Henderson to put up 3-4 recs 70 - 80 yds and a TD.

Isaac Bruce: Holt looks like he'll be fine, but I think Bruce is the sneaky play. Carolina has a great Pass D that ranked 4th in Passing ypg in '06. However the Rams put up the 4th best Passing ypg on offense. My opinion, the Rams will need to utilize Bruce in short routes early to loosen up the Panthers so Jackson can run. I like Bruce for 5-6 recs 50 - 70 yds and a TD.

Ronald Curry: Detroit's Passing D has looked awful in the preseason to say the least. This game has the potential to be very high scoring also. Curry should match up well with his size. I think he could easily approach 6-7 recs 80-90 yds and a TD or two.

Kevin Curtis: Green Bay has improved on Defense mainly the LBs, but last year's pass D was not very good. Philly will find little room to run in GB and be forced to put the ball up early. Curtis is fearless over the middle and can get the tough catch when needed imo. Curtis could approach 4-5 recs 70-80 yds and a TD. I don't like him to score for sure, but 80 yds from your WR3 would be nice.

Greg Jennings: All the noise this pre-season has been about James Jones, and Jennings seems all but a forgotten man. GB will have trouble running the ball b/c they have an inexperienced rookie and Philly is likely to score early forcing GB to score points quickly. Jennings is a great route runner and that makes him good even in coverage. I like Jennings to get 7-8 recs 80-90 yds and a score.

Well that's all I have for now. I'd like to hear what others are thinking.

Also these are just my opinions and thoughts, so feel free to rip away if you don't agree.

Thanks,

I think one of Welker or Jabar Gaffney are going to have a decent week. It'll be Russian roulette all year with the Pats WRs, so caveat emptor.

James Jones GB, Jennings appears to the lost one in the WR corp at GB.

Jones should go 75 yards and one TD, Favre loves this guy, and will look for him near the endzone.

Cotchery - In 3 games against NE last year (including playoffs), he had:

16 receptions

291 yards

3 TDs

In one of my leagues I am going to take this swing for the fences - Troy Williamson vs the Falcons.

I think Peterson and C. Taylor pound the rock for the Vikings opening up some shots down the field for TJax - now if the surgery to fix Williamson's eyes fixed his hands too....... :goodposting:

I'm going with my "starters" in week 1. I don't want to over think it. If a sleeper emerges so be it.

Mike Furrey

last year season opener vs Seattle 5rec 55 yards in a 6-9 loss, will do better than that, has something to prove with CJ up on his A

not too sure how sneaky this one is but I'd be very surprised if Bernard Berrian doesn't get behind the San Diego secondary a few times and hook up on at least one bomb from Grossman. 5 catches for 80-100 yards and a TD doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
not too sure how sneaky this one is but I'd be very surprised if Bernard Berrian doesn't get behind the San Diego secondary a few times and hook up on at least one bomb from Grossman. 5 catches for 80-100 yards and a TD doesn't seem like a stretch at all.
Not very sneaky according to FBG prelim rankings. Not sure where that Berrian love came from. :confused:

I love Berrian this year, I've been trying to snag him as my WR3 in most leagues. In two PPR's I've been lucky enough to grab him in the 6th as WR4

PatytonsGhost said:
Mike Furrey last year season opener vs Seattle 5rec 55 yards in a 6-9 loss, will do better than that, has something to prove with CJ up on his A
Very good call. I think Calvin will still take time to get into the offense at least for a few more weeks.Furrey should be the benefactor.

Gopher State said:
James Jones GB, Jennings appears to the lost one in the WR corp at GB.Jones should go 75 yards and one TD, Favre loves this guy, and will look for him near the endzone.
James Jones might return punts as well, which is huge for a WR3 in return yard leagues.

tombonneau said:
kurtrudder said:
Not very sneaky according to FBG prelim rankings. Not sure where that Berrian love came from. :coffee:
I was thinking the same thing. I think it's Muhammad that's being way undervalued these days.

PatytonsGhost said:
Mike Furrey last year season opener vs Seattle 5rec 55 yards in a 6-9 loss, will do better than that, has something to prove with CJ up on his A
Very good call. I think Calvin will still take time to get into the offense at least for a few more weeks.Furrey should be the benefactor.
Not if McDonald gets the start.

I see a lot of people are using last year as a barometer. Reminder: past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

Packers7--I like your calls on Bruce and Jennings.

I think the NE/NYJ will produce two nice diamonds in Cotchery and Welker.

I think Welker will play a Troy Brown of old sort of role and catch a ton of balls--starting this week.

Cotchery gets to face a NE defensive backfield with a less-than-conditioned Asante Samuel and no

Rodney Harrison. Should be fun to watch.

I like Braylon Edwards this week vs PITT. In two games last season vs PITT , he had 11 catches for 223 yds and 1 TD.

PatytonsGhost said:
McDonald's not going to start, he's their 4th receiver and Furrey's their #2. McDonald is still a good desperation move but only after Furrey because they will run a lot of 4 wide sets.

PatytonsGhost said:
Mike Furrey

last year season opener vs Seattle 5rec 55 yards in a 6-9 loss, will do better than that, has something to prove with CJ up on his A
Very good call. I think Calvin will still take time to get into the offense at least for a few more weeks.

Furrey should be the benefactor.
McDonald's not going to start, he's their 4th receiver and Furrey's their #2. McDonald is still a good desperation move but only after Furrey because they will run a lot of 4 wide sets.
link It is fanball and speculation, but it could happen.

Arnaz Battle

I am looking for a shootout in that Monday night late game and I just don't think DJax has anything left (plus Jackson is a lock to be battling some type of injury each week...)

Battle has a chance to quietly grab 5-6 balls for 80 and a score. He is also a guy I have targeted in every draft, as I expect him (along with ASmith) to have great years. Not sure if he'll become ASmith's go to guy (Vernon Davis and Jackson factor heavily into the mix...and they also have a guy named Gore) but he's worth a shot not only this weekend, but throughout the course of the season.

I have to decide between Curtis, Henderson, & Curry for my WR3. I am leaning toward Curtis at this point.

I also have Arnaz Battle, & there is no way I'd consider starting him. Your WR corps would have to be in bad shape to start Battle Week 1.

PatytonsGhost said:
Mike Furrey

Very good call. I think Calvin will still take time to get into the offense at least for a few more weeks.

Furrey should be the benefactor.
link It is fanball and speculation, but it could happen.
I would be incedibly shocked. I'm a diehard Lions fan and follow several Lions sites daily and I've never even heard it as an option. In fact I've never even heard it mentioned that he could take the 3rd WR spot let alone the 2nd.

PatytonsGhost said:
Great point. Even if he doesn't start, I had McDonald pegged for 3-78-1 - worthy of a start in deeper leagues like mine.

I have to decide between Curtis, Henderson, & Curry for my WR3. I am leaning toward Curtis at this point.I also have Arnaz Battle, & there is no way I'd consider starting him. Your WR corps would have to be in bad shape to start Battle Week 1.
Agreed. I love Battle and have him on my team, but to start him week one you'd have to be in a 20 team start 3 WR league. Unfortunately for Arnaz, I think he is a far far better real life WR than he will ever be FF WR. He's just the kind of gritty guy who makes all the tough catches you love to have on your team; I just don't think he'll ever produce consistently.Though I do remember two years ago before he got hurt he seemed to be good for 7/70 with a TD every other week ...

I have to decide between Curtis, Henderson, & Curry for my WR3. I am leaning toward Curtis at this point.I also have Arnaz Battle, & there is no way I'd consider starting him. Your WR corps would have to be in bad shape to start Battle Week 1.
So you DON'T think Battle could be a week one "diamond in the rough"? Because I am not advocating Battle as a weekly starter for your fantasy team....just pointing out that he could have a good week one and has an outside chance to put up solid WR3 numbers this year based on his situation.

Penguin said:
kurtrudder said:
I love Berrian this year, I've been trying to snag him as my WR3 in most leagues. In two PPR's I've been lucky enough to grab him in the 6th as WR4
You were drafting your 4th WR in the 6th round??? :lol:

I see a lot of people are using last year as a barometer. Reminder: past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
True, but unless someone can predict the future accurately, past performance (especially the very recent past) is the best tool to use in these instances.

Is Santonio Holmes considered to be "in the rough"? :bye:

I got him as WR3 in a ten team league that is heavy on receiving.

If you're wandering through US Open-type rough, you can find:

Mike Williams, OAK

I think he gets a red-zone TD against his old team.

D.J.Hackett: Had a nice game against the Buc's toward the end of last year.
Nate Burleson is the one who really emerged this pre-season. Hackett did nothing to secure the #2 spot.
Don't forget about Bobby Engram. With DJAX gone this year I think Hasslebeck will look to his old security blanket often early in the season. Tampa's pass D was horrible last year so if you're desperate this week...

Users who are viewing this thread