What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weightlifting/Powerlifting Thread. Trying the sarms (1 Viewer)

What is with the 1 rep on the deadlift?  I have seen a few routines with that.  How do you warm up to be able to do that much weight?  Singles on the warmups as well?

For whoever asked about a deadlift substitute, maybe kettlebell swings?
Tsatsouline swears by the carry over effect to other lifts with swings done powerfully.

Not sure if this is on topic ....

but I recently tried going back on Creatine ... nasty leg craps ensued despite my ample water intake.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe my advanced age is a factor (52) or something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

but I recently tried going back on Creatine ... nasty leg craps ensued despite my ample water intake.

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe this my advanced age is a factor (52) or something else.
The mono version can be pretty crampy.  The more expensive ones are better tolerated. 

Anyone else have this issue? Maybe my advanced age is a factor (52) or something else.
Never had the cramp issue but you do need to increase your water intake on creatine.  Everytime I have taken creatine I get stronger but my weight goes up 5-8 lbs too.  At this stage of the game I weigh 210 and want to keep it there.  Have no desire to weigh 220-225 again.

Never had the cramp issue but you do need to increase your water intake on creatine.  Everytime I have taken creatine I get stronger but my weight goes up 5-8 lbs too.  At this stage of the game I weigh 210 and want to keep it there.  Have no desire to weigh 220-225 again.
I mean these go hand in hand, the need for more water drives weight gain.  If trying to get stage ready you just cut the creatine 21 days out.  Though that hardly is required with diruetics now.  

I mean these go hand in hand, the need for more water drives weight gain.  If trying to get stage ready you just cut the creatine 21 days out.  Though that hardly is required with diruetics now.  
I just ordered  some new posing trunks for Easter Break. 😁

Check out the testosterone booster from Mike Mahler, if any of you are into that type of thing. I'm usually anti-supplement and think most are a waste of money, but this stuff is for real.  Normally,  I just take vitamins, but I started taking some bcaas along with the booster. Great stuff 

Winding down on the heavy lifting for the winter.  Max in 2 weeks on deadlift(hopefully 450) and then transitioning to lighter weights and more cardio for a few months. 

Alright, I'll be the lean guy standing in the corner between sets of squats with the weight most of you curl.  

If you only wanted to spend 20 minutes, 3x/week in the weight room, what would you do?  This is to supplement running and tri, no desire to get huge but strength and being cut is good.  I'm currently 6', 175 lbs and measured 6% body fat in the egg last year (pretty sure I'm still close to that %)
As a guy who lifted 20+ years, but kept light and lean like you (almost the exact same ht/wt/bf), I probably would stay right where you are. Lifting heavier will make you stronger and add a little bulk, but your joints will pay the price long term. Nearing 50, I have no need for additional muscle mass, and wish I did less damage to my body in my 20s/30s, primarily out of vanity.

Stuff is making me crazy strong 

What are you taking?  There are like a billion of them now.  Anecdotally I know a few bros that take a light TRT plus some Sarm cycles and are seeing huge gains also.  I forget what they took, they all have stupid names like AK47 and stuff like that.  

What are you taking?  There are like a billion of them now.  Anecdotally I know a few bros that take a light TRT plus some Sarm cycles and are seeing huge gains also.  I forget what they took, they all have stupid names like AK47 and stuff like that.  
Rad 140 and ligandrol. I'm getting freaking huge. Not on Tren level stuff but it's legit. 

culdeus said:
And you aren't doing TRT at all or cycling it?  I'm not really looking to start either.  
No. Just doing 12 weeks of sarms and a pct and Nolvadex afterward. Don't want to start TRT because you sort of have to stay on it once you start. Not ready for that 

Put up 420 bench at 25 yo clean. Now 56 years old....is 300l lbs in 6 months possible if training for a 100 mile run?

Started TRT about 4 months ago. As far as lifting, a whole other world for me. Testosterone from 250 to 1100, bodyweight from 168 to 194, enjoying the gym again.

Put up 420 bench at 25 yo clean. Now 56 years old....is 300l lbs in 6 months possible if training for a 100 mile run?
Probably, but more likely you”ll injure yourself. What’s your motivation?
Having a goal is motivation for me. Less likely to skip a day. Admire these guys who just get up a do it just because.

Also stuff in life is generally easier when you can lift a lot. Not that my job specifically requires it, but occasionally I'm loading appliances myself into a truck. It's nice to just be able to do stuff.

Having a goal is motivation for me. Less likely to skip a day. Admire these guys who just get up a do it just because.

Also stuff in life is generally easier when you can lift a lot. Not that my job specifically requires it, but occasionally I'm loading appliances myself into a truck. It's nice to just be able to do stuff.
The gym has also been a major part of my life and the main reason I chose the profession I did. It's as much a part of my life as eating and sleeping.

The gym has also been a major part of my life and the main reason I chose the profession I did. It's as much a part of my life as eating and sleeping.
Certainly if one enjoys lifting, that’s reason enough to keep at it. I just think at some point, you cross a threshold, where injury potential exceeds the fun and utility of moving big weight.

While I’ve probably staved off some problems by being relatively strong in my 20’s/30’s/40’s?, as I get older, angry joints remind me the body has limits. Personally, as a 50-year-old who still exercises regularly, I regret the extra wear-and-tear I caused in the gym, mainly in the name of vanity/bragging rights.

Same goes for a lot of other “young man activities”, which have a shelf life imo - mainly stuff with explosive, repetitive movements. I’m not saying give up being active, but it’s hard to imagine benching 300+ (or running 100 miles, for that matter) will treat a half-centarian’s body kindly, both during training and especially 10, 20 years down the road.

I understand being goal-oriented, and the value of suffering. I‘d just turn it down a couple notches, and maybe focus on stuff that will promote feeling better as you age.

Full disclosure: I still ski moguls, and climb 1000+ foot cliffs, arguably less useful, and surely more dangerous ways to spend one’s time. They’re a lot more fun than moving appliances though.

They’re a lot more fun than moving appliances though.
Post of the day. Thanks for the laugh.

Certainly if one enjoys lifting, that’s reason enough to keep at it. I just think at some point, you cross a threshold, where injury potential exceeds the fun and utility of moving big weight.

While I’ve probably staved off some problems by being relatively strong in my 20’s/30’s/40’s?, as I get older, angry joints remind me the body has limits. Personally, as a 50-year-old who still exercises regularly, I regret the extra wear-and-tear I caused in the gym, mainly in the name of vanity/bragging rights.

Same goes for a lot of other “young man activities”, which have a shelf life imo - mainly stuff with explosive, repetitive movements. I’m not saying give up being active, but it’s hard to imagine benching 300+ (or running 100 miles, for that matter) will treat a half-centarian’s body kindly, both during training and especially 10, 20 years down the road.
Thoughts on muscle mass and longevity?

You need adequate muscle mass to prevent falls and maintain bone density, but I‘m not aware of any other advantage to being bigger as we age. All the really old people I encounter are on the thin side, if anything. I never see obese or musclebound people over age 70 or so.

Powerlifters aren’t exactly known for their longevity, are they?

Note: I‘m not saying weightlifting is unhealthy. I just think powerlifting is a young man’s pastime.

ETA Extra muscle can help with high BP too, but there’s a point where heavy lifting is likely to cause more harm than benefit.

Last edited:

You need adequate muscle mass to prevent falls and maintain bone density, but I‘m not aware of any other advantage to being bigger as we age. All the really old people I encounter are on the thin side, if anything. I never see obese or musclebound people over age 70 or so.

Note: I‘m not saying weightlifting is unhealthy. I just think powerlifting is a young man’s pastime.

ETA Extra muscle can help with high BP too, but there’s a point where heavy lifting is likely to cause more harm than benefit.
We're talking in extremes here. Outside of studies done on actual Olympic powerlifters, there's no research that says heavy lifting or even explosive activities raise your risk of being injured when the body has been trained and adapted to do so. I'm mid 40s and have 25 years of lifting under my belt and have never had a major injury and I rarely ever have any pain of any kind. I'd say I'm healthier than the majority if people my age. Much of my lifting has been heavy over the years but I cycle through different phases of lifting based on my current goals. I've always been a gym rat. Some people climb cliffs and ski moguls. I lift heavy weight and train my body to do it safely. Obviously, being a PT who's also a lifelong lifter has helped me to stay healthy.

That said, if running 100 miles means an ultramarathon while also benching 300 lbs, I've never even heard of that. That definitely qualifies as extreme and something I wouldn't attempt. That's David Goggins type ****.

I read a lot of studies about muscle mass being beneficial but the eye test tells me all the old people are lean if not outright skinny. So wither the musclebound and fat guys are either all dead or the body reaches a point where it sheds that muscle.

I haven't been lifting for about 4 months and today a piece of drywall whipped my ***. 4 weeks back in the gym and I'm able to handle that on my own. That said, I'd rather be skiing moguls.

I read a lot of studies about muscle mass being beneficial but the eye test tells me all the old people are lean if not outright skinny. So wither the musclebound and fat guys are either all dead or the body reaches a point where it sheds that muscle.

I haven't been lifting for about 4 months and today a piece of drywall whipped my ***. 4 weeks back in the gym and I'm able to handle that on my own. That said, I'd rather be skiing moguls.
Absolutely. There are no big old people. Decreasing testosterone works against maintaining muscle, as do tendon/joint problems. With few exceptions, I think mid-late 50‘s is really pushing it as far as being muscular/strong. You can survive being obese a little longer.

Fortunately, I’m skiing moguls as well as ever at age 50, but can feel my climbing strength slipping away. I stopped lifting several years ago, after 2+ decades in the gym. Can’t imagine how I‘d fare on bench, etc., though thankfully I‘m not reliant on pushing stuff to make a living.

Users who are viewing this thread