What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weightlifting/Powerlifting Thread. Trying the sarms (3 Viewers)

Man this thread is well timed.  I just switched to a new routine and was looking for some fellow meatheads to bounce some bro science off of.

4 day power, muscle, burn

The basic premise is working both strength (high weight/low rep) and size (low weight/high rep) into the same workout.  The burnout stuff (a couple 40 rep sets at the end) I doubt does much of anything but they're a fun way to finish, so let's mainly focus on the power/muscle balance.

The basic problem I've had is that when moving back and forth between strength and size (~3 months of one before switching to the other, etc) I feel like I waste a month or so every time getting my body used to it again.  That is to say if I finish a strength routine doing bench press triples at 225 (and 5x5 @ 205) then moving to 3x10 @ 155 should be fairly easy.  But my body is so used to low rep work that it basically tells me to GTFO when I ask it to put up 30 reps in 3 minutes.  It takes me a good 3 weeks or so to get to that point even though it should be an easy weight.  Then when I switch back to strength the same thing happens.  Heavy weight is so foreign to my body by then that it will take me several weeks just to get back to the same strength lifts that I was doing before the switch.  It feels like so much time wasted spending one month in every four just catching back up.

Charlie's post up above seems to imply that you need to either pick size or strength, especially at our age.  What say the rest of you about mixing both into the same workout with the routine above?
If you're getting stronger you'll get bigger. Those are complementary goals. That is fine. 

However many try to get strong and get a six pack (lose weight). That's hard to do.

That workout plan sounds solid. That's pretty much how I run my program. 

The Big 3 (squats/bench/deadlifts) for heavy sets 5x5 or 5/5/AMRAP then do the variations/accessories in the high 3x8-12 range to get the volume up. I change up the accessories every month or two for variety and work on weakness.

Squat 3x5 every time. Then alternate 1x5 deadlift with probably 3x5 bent over rows. Add weights consistently. 
What is with the 1 rep on the deadlift?  I have seen a few routines with that.  How do you warm up to be able to do that much weight?  Singles on the warmups as well?

For whoever asked about a deadlift substitute, maybe kettlebell swings?

Man this thread is well timed.  I just switched to a new routine and was looking for some fellow meatheads to bounce some bro science off of.

The basic premise is working both strength (high weight/low rep) and size (low weight/high rep) into the same workout.  The burnout stuff (a couple 40 rep sets at the end) I doubt does much of anything but they're a fun way to finish, so let's mainly focus on the power/muscle balance.

The basic problem I've had is that when moving back and forth between strength and size (~3 months of one before switching to the other, etc) I feel like I waste a month or so every time getting my body used to it again.  That is to say if I finish a strength routine doing bench press triples at 225 (and 5x5 @ 205) then moving to 3x10 @ 155 should be fairly easy.  But my body is so used to low rep work that it basically tells me to GTFO when I ask it to put up 30 reps in 3 minutes.  It takes me a good 3 weeks or so to get to that point even though it should be an easy weight.  Then when I switch back to strength the same thing happens.  Heavy weight is so foreign to my body by then that it will take me several weeks just to get back to the same strength lifts that I was doing before the switch.  It feels like so much time wasted spending one month in every four just catching back up.

Charlie's post up above seems to imply that you need to either pick size or strength, especially at our age.  What say the rest of you about mixing both into the same workout with the routine above?
I do that see the point I  changing it up like that so often.  It looks like as soon as you start asking good progress in one program,  you change to something else.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

If you're getting stronger you'll get bigger. Those are complementary goals. That is fine. 

However many try to get strong and get a six pack (lose weight). That's hard to do.

That workout plan sounds solid. That's pretty much how I run my program. 

The Big 3 (squats/bench/deadlifts) for heavy sets 5x5 or 5/5/AMRAP then do the variations/accessories in the high 3x8-12 range to get the volume up. I change up the accessories every month or two for variety and work on weakness.
Pretty good advice here.  

What's the verdict on the sauna?  Some guys use it to warm up, others post workout.  I prefer to run to warm up; don't really see a fit for the sauna.

Any thoughts here?

I quit deadlifts after a back injury about 18 months ago.

I've kind of adopted the mindset that lifting 400+ lbs on any exercise is for dudes in their early 20's who can recover from a back strain in a few weeks.  At my age (mid 30's) recovery time from an injury is exponentially longer.  I don't want to be out of the gym for 6 months (not to mention unable to pick my kid up out of the crib for a few weeks) because I lost focus for 3 seconds during a lift one day.

As far as supplementing it goes I've added lunges for glutes/hammies.  I'm not talking about grabbing a couple of 20lb dumbbells and walking across the gym like the distance runners are doing.  Throw about 80% of your squat weight onto a bar and do the standing lunges in the squat rack (in case you start to lose your balance).  Doesn't hit your lower back but just destroys your glutes and hamstrings.
I have a little different mindset on this.  You're more prone to injury and longer recovery as you get older but that shouldn't deter you from doing heavy weight.  You might have to spend a little more time on technique and making sure you're muscles are flexible and balanced but that's a good thing.  Lifting heavy isn't for everyone.   It's something I like doing. 

I've been working on my explosion lately doing some plyos as well.   Band resisted broad jumps and side jumps,  and box jumps. 

What is with the 1 rep on the deadlift?  I have seen a few routines with that.  How do you warm up to be able to do that much weight?  Singles on the warmups as well?

I always thought it was sets x reps 

Deadlift would be 1 set of 5 reps.  There's a warmup progression that is some % thing. Just use an app.

The 5x5 warmup is usually 5 reps of 135 then 5 of maybe 195 then drops to 3 of 225 for working set of like 275.  The warmup doesn't make you put all the little 2.5s on or anything it's usually just uses 45 and 25 pounders for the most part.  App does the work I just grunt and flex in the mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

If they're doing DL for singles it's usually working up to a few really heavy singles and topping of near 80-95% of their one rep max.

Just banged out some pushups, drinking an ON protein shake now, phone ringing with agents wanting me to be John Cena's body double....I feel huge.

I do 1 rep max every few deadlift workouts.  I'll work up to it.  A few minutes on the treadmill and foam roller.  Then a couple warmup sets.  A couple speed deadlifts with lighter weight.   Then maybe a 5 rep with 70% 1 RM and then a max.  I'll do it a few different ways but I warmup quite a bit before 1 RM.  If you don't care anything about lifting as much as you can one time,  then there's not much point. 

I think they are correlated, but there's some metabolic thresholds you need to account for.  

If you look at drug tested big lift total world record the increase in lifting plateaus really quickly at 200#  The world record at 198 is only 200 pounds off the world record at 308, for example.  but the guy at 123 is 700 pounds lower than the guy at 198.  One would argue that most of that extra weight is probably mass if they are setting records.  

Class Lift Name Country Year Fed123 1,306 Andrzej Stanaszek Poland 1996 EPF132 1,477 Sergey Fedosienko Russia 12/26/15 RPF148 1,580 Tony Conyers USA 1999 WNPF165 1,609 Aliaksandr Hrynkevich-Sudnik BLR 06/25/16 IPF181 1,766 Brett Gibbs NZL 03/05/16 IPF198 2,015 Jesse Norris USA 12/13/14 USAPL220 1,874 Jesse Norris USA 10/17/15 USAPL242 1,934 Tyson Meyers USA 11/16/14 NASA275 2,175 Dennis Cornelius USA 12/19/15 AAU308 2,217 K Konstantinovs Latvia 2009 AWPCSHW 2,336 Mark Henry USA 1995 WDFPF
The guy at 123 is a little person

I didnt get serious about weight training until my twins were born about 5 years ago

I was putting on the weight, and knew I needed to get fit to stick around and take care of my new family.   I was pushing 220, and at 5'9" it ain't pretty.  

So what does anybody new to lifting do?  I lifted, and I lifted heavy and often.   I've always been an athlete, and I really enjoyed hitting the weights hard.  One problem, okay two problems..... I didn't change my diet so I was still heavy, but now I was muscle heavy(not a great look for a short guy)

About a year and a half ago I changed everything up. I changed my diet, after reading the 4 hour body by Tim Ferriss, and changed the way I lift.   I now focus on high reps with little rest between sets, and some kind of cardio everyday.  I do break up the routine by lifting heavy( muscle confusion) but it's usually only once every couple weeks .  

Results:. I'm down to 180 lean pounds

Im still in the gym no less than 5 days a week, usually more 

don't know if that makes me a meathead, but I do enjoy the gym.  

Honestly, i have no idea what supplements are worth doing.  I take

-ON Whey

-Creatine

-Glucosamine

-A #### ton of food.
These are pretty much the ones I use(d). Stopped creatine, just because I'm not competing. No rush to get to heavier weights.

I'm back at 5x5. Squat volume is murder. Can manage the rest. There needs to be a way to dial that back. 

Anyone here hitting the big 3 lifts a lot? Goal is 1000 combined by next summer. 
I started lifting regularly about 4 months ago and have been focusing on the big three lifts (I assume that you are talking about bench, squat, Dead lift) with rows and military press added in as well.

I have always been pretty thin (or skiny fat) and have been trying to get big for at least once in my life.  I am 6'5" and started at 185# and 17% body fat four months ago and have been making some decent gains in body composition and in lifting more.  Currently I am at 200# and 14% bf.

When you say 1000 combined is that one rep max.  I haven't tried maxing out in the last couple months but my 5 rep max for each lift is 160 bench, 175 Squat, 255 Dead Lift.   1000 combined seems like a lofty goal but I'm in to give it a shot.

So this has been going pretty well.  For instance on bench I was doing stronglifts before but got kind of stuck on 195, couldn't get 5x5.  My last bench lift in early August was...

195x5
195x4
195x3
195x3
195x3

Switched to the new routine above and a month later hit....

215x4
215x4
215x3
215x3

Squats were a similar story.  5, 4, 4, 3 @ 205 to 5, 5, 4, 3 @ 225 in a month.

I've also been eating like a horse.

Yes,  I'm referring to 1 rep max of all 3 lifts combined.  I've been lifting regularly for many years but have only started seriously focusing on the big 3 over the past year or so.  I do a lot of things but most are to compliment increasing the weight in my big lifts.  I wouldn't just shoot for 1000 combined out of the blue after 4 months of lifting, or even at all.  I've put a lot of time and training technique to push up the numbers.  Currently at 900 combined.  I'm only 5'9 175 so I'll always be a bit hampered by lack of size. 

I started lifting regularly about 4 months ago and have been focusing on the big three lifts (I assume that you are talking about bench, squat, Dead lift) with rows and military press added in as well.

I have always been pretty thin (or skiny fat) and have been trying to get big for at least once in my life.  I am 6'5" and started at 185# and 17% body fat four months ago and have been making some decent gains in body composition and in lifting more.  Currently I am at 200# and 14% bf.

When you say 1000 combined is that one rep max.  I haven't tried maxing out in the last couple months but my 5 rep max for each lift is 160 bench, 175 Squat, 255 Dead Lift.   1000 combined seems like a lofty goal but I'm in to give it a shot.
How's it coming along? 

Go to 5/5/5+...last set is max reps.
I changed to a ppl routine where first set of day goes like this. Been liking it so far.  Squatting to open every workout was murdering me and causing me to just skip workouts.  Even though total squat volume isn't down that much it sure feels like it. 

I did a 12 week program and got my squat, deadlift, bench combined up to 1010 by last February. Dialed back the really heavy stuff since then and only lifting twice a week and cardio twice a week since then. Will probably get another 12 week program going again starting in December focusing on heavy lifts. 

Question for you guys. My ankle flexibility is hindering my progress on my squat. Any tips to get more dorsiflexion aside from rolling them out and standing with my toes on a 2x4 every morning to stretch them out? 
Ankle flexibility very important with squatting and deadlifting for sure. Definitely rolling them out after warming up and a lot of prolonged stretching. 

Getting hard back into powerlifting lately. I've never been a supplement user, mainly just vitamins. But started taking some bcaas and testosterone booster a few weeks ago and getting fantastic results. I was certain I'd try them once and realize it was a ripoff, but they've made a big difference. I've always worked out, so it isn't just a placebo effect or from working out for the first time either. 

Users who are viewing this thread