What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s the possible conservative explanation for the recent dismantling of the USPS?!?!? (2 Viewers)

The problem I see is just how this relates to voting this fall.

Yes it does make sense that as the USPS mail service demand shrink they would make changes like removing sorting machines, drop boxes etc.

However it should be painfully obvious that mail-in voting was going to be necessary this fall.

Instead of saying it’s a disaster and won’t work. The president / government should have been working on a solution for ballots in the mail this fall. They have had months and months to come up with solutions. This should be important, this should have had people figuring out how to make it work. Every state should already have a good mail-in voting system in place.

Trump ADMITTED out loud that mail-in doesn’t work well for him and republicans (I have read this might not even be the case).

This is why people are pissed. This is why the post master general dude had to testify in front on Congress. This is how it works, this is how it should work.

Just like many things Trump caused all this #### by talking. 
So I may have missed it but usps handles 472.0 m pieces of mail per day.  How many mail in votes do you expect?   We had 127.0m votes in 2016 for president.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I may have missed it but usps handles 472.0 m pieces of mail per day.  How many mail in votes do you expect?  
No clue. Much less than 472 million.

Losing it and having no system for it being tracked would be my concern but I won't speak for whatever Trump is talking about.

No clue. Much less than 472 million.

Losing it and having no system for it being tracked would be my concern but I won't speak for whatever Trump is talking about.
So 127.0m votes in 2016.  If we assume 25% that’s 32.0m or less than 7 % of what they handle in a day.  So what’s the problem ?  

So 127.0m votes in 2016.  If we assume 25% that’s 32.0m or less than 7 % of what they handle in a day.  So what’s the problem ?  
The problem is the President saying it will be illegitimate and that it is how an election is stolen.

If you inject this, and votes are lost in the mail there are issues, this becomes a problem no?

Snotbubbles said:
The difference between requesting a ballot to vote absentee and mass mailing ballots to everyone on the voter registry without the request is huge.  
Right.....two states are proposing that... two.... and they are dumb,  but the issue is way overblown

The problem is the President saying it will be illegitimate and that it is how an election is stolen.

If you inject this, and votes are lost in the mail there are issues, this becomes a problem no?
He is just stirring up his base but there are documented situations where absentee ballots/ mail ballots were handled improperly.  When you have humans involved there will be errors but should be minimal.  It’s a non story imho and we should revisit this after the election.  

He is just stirring up his base but there are documented situations where absentee ballots/ mail ballots were handled improperly.  When you have humans involved there will be errors but should be minimal.  It’s a non story imho and we should revisit this after the election.  
Totally agree he is just talking #### and making excuses.

I would like my government to make it easier to vote. Before covid mail-in voting was infinitely better. With covid it's really a no-brainer. I would like the leader of the country to solve this problem not create it. This is if I actually wanted people to be able to vote. Trump doesn't care about this if it impacts him winning.

I disagree that it's a non-story. I hope so, but problems with ballots could open up the door for a contested election if it is close.

We have already seen the office of the Prez pretty much has unchecked power. 

These errors are not unique to mail in ballots.  In person voting had issues at a 3 to 4 percent clip every election. Mail in voting has a documented error in the same range.   Why am i only to be concerned about the mail in portion?

These problems are not unique to mail in ballots.  In person voting had issues at a 3 to 4 percent clip every election. Mail in voting has a documented error in the same range.   Why am i only to be concerned about the mail in portion?
The issues with someone thinking they pressing the wrong button or thinking the touch screen is uncalibrated is different than finding bag of undelivered ballots or some kook lighting a mailbox on fire especially when the Prez is talking about it non-stop heading into an election.

Probably won't be an issue and hopefully there is a clear winner.

Totally agree he is just talking #### and making excuses.

I would like my government to make it easier to vote. Before covid mail-in voting was infinitely better. With covid it's really a no-brainer. I would like the leader of the country to solve this problem not create it. This is if I actually wanted people to be able to vote. Trump doesn't care about this if it impacts him winning.

I disagree that it's a non-story. I hope so, but problems with ballots could open up the door for a contested election if it is close.

We have already seen the office of the Prez pretty much has unchecked power. 
It won’t be close plus the usps can handle mail in ballots in several days if needed.  What you might have is human error where ballots are lost / misplaced.  Non- story that’s being pushed to stir up democratic voters.  

Snotbubbles said:
The difference between requesting a ballot to vote absentee and mass mailing ballots to everyone on the voter registry without the request is huge.  
The process to mail it out and mail it in isn't.

If I were a "requesting a ballot to vote absentee" person...I'd be incredibly wary about the ability (based on the constraints on the USPS by the POTUS and his lackey) for the USPS to handle the load.

The issues with someone thinking they pressing the wrong button or thinking the touch screen is uncalibrated is different than finding bag of undelivered ballots or some kook lighting a mailbox on fire especially when the Prez is talking about it non-stop heading into an election.

Probably won't be an issue and hopefully there is a clear winner.
They aren't really different. A vote thrown out because a sig doesn't match is the same issue whether it's on a mail in ballot or a voter role. It's as likely that a satchel full of illegal ballots get through the system as it is someone alters a batch of votes between casting and sending to the elections office. 

It won’t be close plus the usps can handle mail in ballots in several days if needed.  What you might have is human error where ballots are lost / misplaced.  Non- story that’s being pushed to stir up democratic voters.  
We have no idea if this will be close. You can't know this.

The last election had a state won by like 9000 votes.

4 elections ago the whole thing was settled by like 500 votes in Florida.

I prefer my president not talking about this unless it is working on a solution. Reason number 800 that he is terrible for this job.

They aren't really different. A vote thrown out because a sig doesn't match is the same issue whether it's on a mail in ballot or a voter role. It's as likely that a satchel full of illegal ballots get through the system as it is someone alters a batch of votes between casting and sending to the elections office. 
I am contacted if my sig doesn't match. I can track that my ballot is counted in the first place. My state has been doing this for years though. Is this the same in every state or the states that are doing mail-in for the first time? I don't believe so.

I think we are talking about a couple issues.

I think everyone should have access to a mail-in ballot that is trackable. This should have been in place a decade ago.

The separate issue is that the Pres is using this as a political issue versus trying to fix it. He admitted as to why months ago.

If it is close and there are issues (which we agree there will be due to the size) there's no way this dude doesn't make this a huge problem.

If I were a "requesting a ballot to vote absentee" person...I'd be incredibly wary about the ability (based on the constraints on the USPS by the POTUS and his lackey) for the USPS to handle the load.
My state had problems with mail in ballots for primaries.  People were not receiving them, receiving more then one or getting one when they shouldn’t.  

What proof do you have that’s he is cheating to deter or suppress mail in ballots especially when the usps has been downsizing for a long time?.
Do the research bro. I’m new to politics but I find what’s happening to be very interesting. It’s diverted some of my research time away from child sex trafficking which is the real pandemic but I’m doing my research and learning a lot. I have to go to work now but I’ll be back.

Do the research bro. I’m new to politics but I find what’s happening to be very interesting. It’s diverted some of my research time away from child sex trafficking which is the real pandemic but I’m doing my research and learning a lot. I have to go to work now but I’ll be back.
I didnt find any proof of your claim.  Let me know when you have a chance to prove your point.,...  I’ll follow up with you in few days on this point since you seem so committed.  

It's a difference in quantity, not a difference in substance.
Incorrect.  When you request an absentee ballot then your identity is verified to the voter rolls and your eligibility to vote absentee is verified.  When you mass mail ballots to those who don't request you're at the mercy of the accuracy of your voter registration rolls and voter identity is not verified.  

You sound like a Democratic conspiracy theorist.  

I am contacted if my sig doesn't match. I can track that my ballot is counted in the first place. My state has been doing this for years though. Is this the same in every state or the states that are doing mail-in for the first time? I don't believe so.

I think we are talking about a couple issues.

I think everyone should have access to a mail-in ballot that is trackable. This should have been in place a decade ago.

The separate issue is that the Pres is using this as a political issue versus trying to fix it. He admitted as to why months ago.

If it is close and there are issues (which we agree there will be due to the size) there's no way this dude doesn't make this a huge problem.
As has mine and that's the same for voting in person or voting by mail.  I am unaware of a state where they have one process for mail in voting and another for election place voting, which is my point.  In a state where you can verify your vote, you can verify it whether it's mailed in or you go in person.  In a state where you can't verify your vote by mail, it's highly unlikely you can verify it at the election place.  If that's the case, then shame on that state.  They do themselves no favors in that regard.  

Every single "reason" I've heard thus far is not unique to the mail aspect of voting.  Potential tampering exists in election places.  Potential identity issues exist in election places.  Potential errors in recording exist in voting places.  This "chain of custody" nonsense DEFINITELY exists in polling places.  

Incorrect.  When you request an absentee ballot then your identity is verified to the voter rolls and your eligibility to vote absentee is verified.  When you mass mail ballots to those who don't request you're at the mercy of the accuracy of your voter registration rolls and voter identity is not verified.  
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/08/15/donald-trump-slams-universal-mail-voting-few-states-planning/3333957001/

Nine states are planning on doing this....ONE is not firmly blue/red already.  Over 75% of the electorate has the option to vote by mail today, 18% of them will get a ballot automatically.  

FWIW, I don't agree with blindly sending ballots to people unless there is confidence the voter rolls are well maintained.  That's dumb for a state to do, but as you can see, it's not far reaching and it isn't close to ALL states.  

I'll also point out that when you have poorly maintained voter rolls the ability for fraud exists with "in person" voting as well as "vote by mail".  If "fraud" is a concern, then your focus should be on voter roll management, not the process through which people vote :shrug:  

Its verified upon being returned.

Now...we can have a long conversation somewhere about how awful rolls may be...how government systems are often designed so independently of other systems that data matches don't work well because the systems can't talk to each other and removing people from rolls takes time...that is fair.

Against what?  Honest question, I don't know.  If people don't request them, what is it verified against?
A returned ballot would still have verification, no?  Verify with the voting rolls, records...as well as attestation on the ballot accepting then punishment of falsifying the information.

Im doubting they receive them and just say yup...its good.

A returned ballot would still have verification, no?  Verify with the voting rolls, records...as well as attestation on the ballot accepting then punishment of falsifying the information.

Im doubting they receive them and just say yup...its good.
I'm asking...I don't know the answer.  If a ballot is sent to someone that didn't ask for it, how do they determine the person returning it is the person who's on the ballot?  The only thing I can think of them verifying against is a signature they have on file for that voter.  That'd be an ID or when they registered to vote.  If that's the case, that becomes problematic depending on how long ago that signature was crafted.

Users who are viewing this thread