What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s worse….a soccer match ending 0-0 or a twelve round boxing match going to decision? (1 Viewer)

OK. I’m trying to give this a chance, in preparation for team USA’s match tomorrow.

I watched the Brazil-Switzerland match in its entirety. From what I can tell, both teams are good. On a scale from 1-10, how good was that match for a seasoned soccer fan?

OK. I’m trying to give this a chance, in preparation for team USA’s match tomorrow.

I watched the Brazil-Switzerland match in its entirety. From what I can tell, both teams are good. On a scale from 1-10, how good was that match for a seasoned soccer fan?

From a pure entertainment perspective the Brazil-Switzerland match may have been the worst of the four matches yesterday. I’d probably still grade that match around a 6-7 out of 10. Brazil is always fun to watch and the Swiss are a quality side. Neither needed a win so they were not throwing caution to the wind.

It was ok, nothing great, nothing terrible. The other three matches yesterday were much much better from a neutral point of view.

Thanks for the feedback. And now the follow up: how would you rate todays US-Iran match?
As a casual fan that neither hates or loves the sport, I found it very entertaining. It was a close game, the good guys won, and unlike most sports on tv wasn't constantly interrupted by ad breaks.

Thanks for the feedback. And now the follow up: how would you rate todays US-Iran match?

As a die hard fan I am not the right person to ask. As you can see in the massive WC thread, most of us could not breath for the whole game. I stood in my home theater for the entire second half pacing like a lunatic.

Having a huge stake in a game as a fan of a specific team can never bring a proper perspective to some one who does not have the bond with either team or sport.

Like Andy said, impossible for me to rate it. I was a nervous wreck for most of the 2nd half.

I will say this - Iran underwhelmed a little. Now that’s very much due to how good the US was but I expected more from them. Even though those final 15 minutes were nerve racking they didn’t really have a lot of good chances outside that one header. Well deserved win by the good guys. My ranking would be 8/10 if pressed to give one.

From a pressure standpoint, it was a great game.

But from a quality standpoint, I'd rewatch our game against England before this. Much better overall quality, IMO.

Thanks again for the feedback. As a non-fan, I didn’t notice much difference between the two games, other than the US scoring earlier than Brazil.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the healing miracles that happen in soccer games. Players fall in severe pain in their shins and ankles. After about 60 seconds they hop up and are at full speed again. Similar to punters in American football falling to get a roughing the punter penalty, but they just fake the fall and don't go writhing in pain acting mode.

I am amazed at the healing miracles that happen in soccer games. Players fall in severe pain in their shins and ankles. After about 60 seconds they hop up and are at full speed again. Similar to punters in American football falling to get a roughing the punter penalty, but they just fake the fall and don't go writhing in pain acting mode.
ever watch the NBA?

Two things:
1. Totally agree that diving and play acting needs to be punished.
2. Have you ever stubbed your toe or banged your knee? It can really hurt for a short amount of time and you shake it off.

I‘m not denying it happens and too often but getting your foot stomped on or your shin kicked can hurt like heal.

I've not read any replies. You can get good 0-0s and bad 0-0s. You can get boring bouts that go to the judges and you can get wars that go twelve rounds. I would be inclined to say that if you ask the question to me as presented, I would choose the boxing, but I feel as if it would be fairer to word it as a game ending in a draw, which would encompass a lot of high scoring draws as opposed to just goalless matches

Two things:
2. Have you ever stubbed your toe or banged your knee? It can really hurt for a short amount of time and you shake it off.

I‘m not denying it happens and too often but getting your foot stomped on or your shin kicked can hurt like heal.
Not to mention that soccer cleats are very thin on top compared to other sports. I played through a lot of broken toes in HS.

Two things:

I don't deny there are true pains and injuries.

I was going to say the same thing. Getting clipped by a stud on the top of the foot or toe is really painful immediately but you can generally walk it off. There is definitely embellishment and the replays can really show when that happens. However, it doesn't take much on the foot/toe stomp or the knee knockers to be really painful for a short time.

The average score of a US football game is 20-17. Convert that to soccer. That's 2TDs to 2 TDs since FGs are nothing more than a team not being able to score. The US public is fooled by TDs being worth 7 points. It's 1 score.

Now I would like to see soccer get to 2 or 3 goals for the winner. 0-0 is no fun.

Last edited:
Yellow for any player delaying a restart (kicking ball away after a foul, impeding the restart pass, etc)
I would've picked up a red in pretty much every single game I've played since the age of about 14 if this was a rule. :bag:

Someone's gotta make em ask for 10 yards.
Every damn time.

One of my prouder moments was when I got the other teams best player(big dude, striker) to take a swing at me. Red card!

Yellow for any player delaying a restart (kicking ball away after a foul, impeding the restart pass, etc)
I would've picked up a red in pretty much every single game I've played since the age of about 14 if this was a rule. :bag:

Someone's gotta make em ask for 10 yards.
In HS I used to just throw in anything regardless of who kicked the ball out until the ref warned not to. It was honestly surprising how often the ref would just let play go on despite the other team’s objections.

Why? Everyone knows you gotta give them space. Why does someone have to ask for it? It's dumb.
I mean he's free to take the kick without asking for 10 if he wants. If you were to change it around and the defender had to be 10 yards before the ball was played, the defending player could take his sweet time meandering to 10 yards away rather than standing right in front of the ball....it's still a delay tactic.

If you win a free kick 30, 35 yards out from my net, and I'm gonna be the 1-man wall, you better believe I'm standing 1 foot away from the ball until you ask the ref for space. I'm not letting you get a quick free kick into a dangerous area before my defense and GK can setup.

The average score of a US football game is 20-17. Convert that to soccer. That's 2TDs to 2 TDs since FGs are nothing more than a team not being able to score. The US public is fooled by TDs being worth 7 points. It's 1 score.

Now I would like to see soccer get to 2 or 3 goals for the winner. 0-0 is no fun.
This is a really great thought. Never in my life have I thought of it this way. Thanks for something new. :thumbup:

If you win a free kick 30, 35 yards out from my net, and I'm gonna be the 1-man wall, you better believe I'm standing 1 foot away from the ball until you ask the ref for space. I'm not letting you get a quick free kick into a dangerous area before my defense and GK can setup.
Thanks to the spray, those days appear to be gone. It used to be very common for a player to just stand in front of the ball, but now that almost never happens since the players have been trained to stand behind the spray. And I think once the spray comes out, you have to wait for a whistle to start the free kick any way so it is fair to everyone.

Why? Everyone knows you gotta give them space. Why does someone have to ask for it? It's dumb.
I mean he's free to take the kick without asking for 10 if he wants. If you were to change it around and the defender had to be 10 yards before the ball was played, the defending player could take his sweet time meandering to 10 yards away rather than standing right in front of the ball....it's still a delay tactic.

I still maintain that it should be permitted to shoot at any player who is not ten yards away from a free kick, and if you hit them you get a new free kick from the point where you hit the defender. Basically the way it works in field hockey, if you're not five yards away, you can't interfere with a free hit, so you can just play it straight at their feet and advance

Users who are viewing this thread