What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What animal is this? (1 Viewer)

Was just in our backyard (lamenting our missing tree) when I see this animal slink out of the bushes and head toward the pool.  I quickly pulled out my phone and got a picture but not before it started to scurry back into the bushes. 

It looked like an otter to me, very flat face and body.  But that doesn't seem right in a suburban city area.  No idea what else it could be.  Is it coming for my trees?

What is this?
I would've guessed river otter.  We had one in our backyard at our old place a few years ago and we also took a picture and had to ask people what it was.  The one we saw looked more slick, but still the same shape.

Also, the parenthetical comment had me  :lmao:

Side note.  I saw one of these in Jefferson County Missouri (south of STL) running across the road with a couple of other donkeys a few years ago.

I got a good look at it and it was unmistakably striped, but faded and grey and looked just like that photo.  It was quite surreal and I'm guessing it had escaped from some hick cross-breeders place. 

Do you have a picture of your neighbor who cut down the tree?  I want to compare this picture to what a weasel looks like.

I didn't get it in the picture, but I saw that dude's face.  It had the face of an otter.
Yeah that's the one key piece of info that would solve this once and for all. The head is skewed in the pic but it's definitely too big for a mink/weasel.

That animal appears larger and more muscular than a mink. Minks are lithe, dude.
We really need a penny in the picture for scale next time.  I'm having a tough time getting over the tail shape to say otter, but it could just be the photo angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Side note.  I saw one of these in Jefferson County Missouri (south of STL) running across the road with a couple of other donkeys a few years ago.

I got a good look at it and it was unmistakably striped, but faded and grey and looked just like that photo.  It was quite surreal and I'm guessing it had escaped from some hick cross-breeders place. 
I saw something like this in Hawaii, just outside Honolulu.

The don't live in MO. 

But his neighbor seems like a weasel.
Did not know that.  Thanks.

Only seen a Fisher once in the woods in WI while deer hunting in a tree stand. The thing snaked through the leaves and fallen brush like a 4 ft panther.  Gave me the Willie's from 150 yds.

ETA: my siting was over 120 miles south of what Wikipedia indicates as it's range.

Was just in our backyard (lamenting our missing tree) when I see this animal slink out of the bushes and head toward the pool.  I quickly pulled out my phone and got a picture but not before it started to scurry back into the bushes. 

It looked like an otter to me, very flat face and body.  But that doesn't seem right in a suburban city area.  No idea what else it could be.  Is it coming for my trees?

What is this?
i'm a hunter. it's a fisher. they're super vicious for their size too, so if you have pets don't let em wander out there.

Actually studied martens and fishers in CA during the summer of 1998 for the U.S. Forest Service - no lie.
We were setting up camp in MD maybe 10 years ago and as we parked and got out someone had gutted a deer right there.  Heading into the site we saw something like that critter and it turned out it was a Fisher.

ETA: those maps are likely way too far north.  We saw one in Maryland and a friend's dad, who worked for the DNR in a neighboring state, said he'd helped reintroduce them there.

ETAA: even the historical range is further north though -- so who knows.  Didn't look "sleek" enough to be an otter, but not sure what else is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread