What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are my strengths & weakness on Defense. (1 Viewer)

podunker

Footballguy
I'm drafting in a new 16 team dynasty league right now. We are through 27 or so rounds. First time IDP owner, longtime ffl player. Here is my defensive players so far.

LB

Mike Peterson

Zach Thomas

Al Wilson

Dat Nguyen

Derek M. Smith

Larry Foote

SAFETY

Sammy Knight

Sean Jones

CB

Jerry Azumah

Phillip Buchanon

DE

Adewale Ogunleye

Richard Seymour

DT

Dewayne Robertson

Albert Haynsworth

I feel like my LB crew is very solid. I feel like my DE's are weak. Who should I target at this point. Most of the top 25 guys at each position are gone. Any deep sleepers out there like they target on the offensive side of the ball. (players coming off injuries, young guys drafted high not given oppurtinity yet, etc.) Especially on the defensive line, were I feel I need the most help. You can take a look at my draft overall and give me some ideas if you want. It would be greatly appreciated. (I'm Mitch Bush) http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2005/home/74827

I may be exposing myself a little bit here since most of my competitors are FBG members, but I'm really just trying to learn more about IDP's. Thanks in advance!

I'm not too excited about your safeties either. Although I really like Jones.At DE, I might target Carlos Hall in KC, who won't start, but will be part of the rotation, and should have better sack numbers than Hicks for sure.Brayton in Oakland, will be playing some LB as well, and I think he's a solid backup at DE. Burgess as well in OAK. Too early to take him now, but as your last DE, he's got a lot of potential.Ellis seems to be the safest pick thus far, although any move to the 3-4 really hurts him.

I'm guessing you guys are doing separate rookie & vet drafts to stock rosters based on the players still out there.I'd definitely look at Safety & DE as spots to improve. One guy coming off injury is Williams S NYG - Wilson filled in very well, but I think they'll be playing together.You probably will want to go after a younger LB or 2 as well who has a shot in camp - perhaps trying to tag team the Titans MLB candidates or snag one during the rookie draft.If you're set on O, you can target Thomas Davis in the rookie draft or one of the useful late DB's like Atogwe.Good luck.

I'm guessing you guys are doing separate rookie & vet drafts to stock rosters based on the players still out there.

I'd definitely look at Safety & DE as spots to improve. One guy coming off injury is Williams S NYG - Wilson filled in very well, but I think they'll be playing together.

You probably will want to go after a younger LB or 2 as well who has a shot in camp - perhaps trying to tag team the Titans MLB candidates or snag one during the rookie draft.

If you're set on O, you can target Thomas Davis in the rookie draft or one of the useful late DB's like Atogwe.

Good luck.
:thumbup:

How big is your roster? I saw a trade which included a 50th round draft pick.For us to give you more help, we need to know how many defensive players you start and which positions you start.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 45 man roster. The 46th - 50th round is the rookie draft. You can start either a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense. 2de, 1dt, 3lb, 1 flex(LB,DT), 2 cb, 2 safeties. Naturally, I'm looking at going with the 3-4 most of the time. Here is my team so far.DEFENSE LB Mike Peterson Z Thomas Al Wilson Dat NguyenDerek M. Smith Larry Foote SAFETY Sammy Knight Sean Jones CBJerry Azumah Phillip Buchanon DE Adewale Ogunleye Richard Seymour DT Dewayne Robertson Albert Haynsworth QBBulgerHarringtonSmokerRBS JacksonDillonStaleyG JonesK FaulkS DavisWRBoldinBurressMouldsReg WilliamsWarrickTEPutzierGrahamWinslow I'm prescribing to the minimal WR theory, he he, at least thats my story and I'm sticking too it! Thanks for the insight so far, I still a lot of rounds left to draft. I have a feeling the bones are going to be picked clean. The defensive side of the ball is where I am a little (lot) weak at, as far as up and coming young talent.I know the rookies pretty well (Davis, Johnson, Thurman), just not the one and two year guys.

OUCH, youre team is horrible, I am sure the rest of the league is salivating having you on their schedule :brush:

OUCH, youre team is horrible, I am sure the rest of the league is salivating having you on their schedule  :brush:
The first thing that jumps out at me is your RBs. That is your weakness IMHO. You have 1 good RB on your team in Dillon.S. Jackson is sharing time w/ Faulk

Staley is sharing time w/ Bettis

G Jones is a fullback

K Faulk is a 3rd down back

S Davis is injured and is in a 3 way battle for the starting position

Your QBs could use some work as well.

Who was your first pick? Please don't say Stephen Jackson. Then again, this is a dynasty league so Jackson might not have been a bad pick. But he will not benefit you as well as other 1st round picks this season.

I would try to trade up to get a top 3 pick in round 46 so you can get one of the top 3 rookie RBs.

I just dont see the criticisms here ... your team is solid for a 16 team league IMHO ...I think you did a fine job drafting! SJax is a great RB2 for now in a 16 team league and is money in a dynasty format ... Bulger is an excellent QB1 in dynasty format (top 6 any format) ...

I just dont see the criticisms here ... your team is solid for a 16 team league IMHO ...

I think you did a fine job drafting!  SJax is a great RB2 for now in a 16 team league and is money in a dynasty format ... Bulger is an excellent QB1 in dynasty format (top 6 any format) ...
Think people are applying 12 team concepts to a 16 team league..you are lucky to get two starting Rbs and then a third who is the lead in RRBC...pretty much the same at QB...your 2nd guy is going to be a borderline starter with his NL team...at WR if he has to start 3 then the 48th rank WR is starting for someone (not him, btw)

OUCH, youre team is horrible, I am sure the rest of the league is salivating having you on their schedule :brush:
I think Mitch realizes I am a league mate and that this is mostly good healthy ribbing........ :boxing:

Think people are applying 12 team concepts to a 16 team league..you are lucky to get two starting Rbs and then a third who is the lead in RRBC...pretty much the same at QB...your 2nd guy is going to be a borderline starter with his NL team...at WR if he has to start 3 then the 48th rank WR is starting for someone (not him, btw)
I missed that you are playing in a 16 team league. In that case, your draft went pretty well.

OUCH, youre team is horrible, I am sure the rest of the league is salivating having you on their schedule
I new you were just ribbing me, that's what makes it fun. By the way, your QB tandem of Boller and Grossman has me shaking in my boots. :lmao: nortobc - you did have me panicked for a little while. This is my first 16 teamer so I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing. I could have been discombobulated a little. I'm just a lonesome guppy in a league full of sharks!Back to the subject at hand, I need IDP help! I'll even take your advise dirtyhalos. Being new to IDP is starting to hurt me as far as the one or two year guys are concerned. No idea on young LB, and Safeties. I'm also getting the idea that CB aren't as valuable, especially the good ones. I guess because they don't get thrown at as much. Should I be targeting guys opposite a great cover CB?

Here is a thread if you haven't read it yet might help

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=153387

Also read about the schemes 3-4 vs 4-3 and read about the middle linebackers. There are some great IDP informative threads in this forum. That is where I (2nd year IDP) has learned alot from and have abled to turn the defensive side of my league around this year. There is great debate on CB vs Safety - personally right now I go for SS rather than FS over CB but in some cases a CB will score better but it seems to be hit or miss some weeks as they usually get a lot of points from interceptions etc where as safties get most of their points from tackles IMHO. Just some thoughts. I've been where you are and it isn't fun :-) but it does get better and I've learned one thing for sure - its how much I don't know yet. That too is part of the fun. It takes a whole lot more time and research with IDP IMO than just team defense. I would scan back over some of the threads here from this summer. Like I said there are some very good learning ones. Hope this helps. Good luck and I know how hard a 16 team dynasty is (thats my league) I think you did fine drafting.

Users who are viewing this thread