What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What did you think of Peyton calling off (1 Viewer)

Peyton calling off the punt team

• Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disagree

• Toolish

• Total voters

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
Did anyone see Dungy's face when Peyton waved off the punt team - he looked like he was really pi$$ed.guess we know who really runs the show in Indy.

Turned out to be the right call, but Manning was lucky it worked out that way. I generally don't agree with any player overruling his coach like that, but if any one person could be magically granted that power, I'd go with Manning.

he should have called off Dungy before the game started..then again, Peyton Manning can't win anything,either. :yes:

One of the coolest things I've seen in a football game. Peyton telling Dungy that he doesn't give a crap how much he loses by. He just wants a chance to win. Possibly the only player in the league (except maybe Favre) who could get away w/ that without the coach stopping the game or benching the player. :towelwave: , but kudos to Manning for that. The whole team definately responded to that and a chance to win blossomed out of that attitude change and cup-check. Still don't like Manning or the Colts a lick, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Props to Peyton and to the rest of the team for jumping on his back and to Dungy for not going ape-#### and realizing Peyton was doing the right thing. After this, I may even root for the Colts once or twice next year.

I may be mistaken here but I thought Dungy said after the game that he was going for it also and that his punt team was running out just because they were programmed to do so.

Why is this a poll? Why does it matter?
Because Manning basically slapped Dungy in the face when Dungy sent out the punt team.
:no: A coach giving his QB the right to make it or break it shows confidence in the QB.They should have discussed it before hand, but still - the guys on the field win or lose.

IIRC, this was done before.

The only thing I didn't like was Dungy's look of fear.

Because Manning basically slapped Dungy in the face when Dungy sent out the punt team.Basically Manning was saying " I call the shots here"
I guess I am basing my stance on the comments of Dungy afterwards that the Punt team was prematurely going on. Whether Dungy was covering up or not, I have to take a man @ his word...And considering what that man has gone thru recently, I dont think he very much cared if his power was indeed overriden by his start QB. I think he knows there are bigger fish to fry in his life right now.

It was a very dumb decision by Manning. Still plenty of time in that game to not have to go for it on your own 35.

When Dungy was asked about this after the game, he said "I was going for it all along. Peyton knew that because he heard it in the headset. The Punt team overreacted and ran out onto the field."Don't know if he was just trying to save face, but that was his comment (paraphrased since I'm quoting it from memory).

And considering what that man has gone thru recently, I dont think he very much cared if his power was indeed overriden by his start QB. I think he knows there are bigger fish to fry in his life right now.
Then he shouldn't have been at the game in the first place.

As a 5 digiter I would just be quiet and not ask these kind of questions.
:lmao: You gotta love the 3-digiters comments.It doesn't matter what we think - but neither does almost anything else we take a poll on.

As much as I dislike Manning and enjoy seeing him lose I thought that was a ballsy call. It shifted the momentum back to the Colts and gave them a chance. Had the Colts won that play would have become legendary.

And considering what that man has gone thru recently, I dont think he very much cared if his power was indeed overriden by his start QB. I think he knows there are bigger fish to fry in his life right now.
Then he shouldn't have been at the game in the first place.
:yes: if you aren't the coach, don't be the coach.

Boy, we think we're special don't we?Oh, and before you pull out the 5 digit crap on me, I've been a member of this board since near its inception. I just had to reregister this year due to my previous account information being lost.

It's not the amount of time someone's been around, it's the knowledge they have to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Dungy was asked about this after the game, he said "I was going for it all along. Peyton knew that because he heard it in the headset. The Punt team overreacted and ran out onto the field."

Don't know if he was just trying to save face, but that was his comment (paraphrased since I'm quoting it from memory).
Are people ignoring this? I still read comments that Manning called off the punt team yet that isn't true. :wall:

Why is this a poll?  Why does it matter?
Because Manning basically slapped Dungy in the face when Dungy sent out the punt team.Basically Manning was saying " I call the shots here"
You're forgetting that Dungy has given Manning the authority to make that call. So why do you have a problem with Manning doing what the team has asked him to do?

It was a very dumb decision by Manning. Still plenty of time in that game to not have to go for it on your own 35.
There wasn't that much time on the clock and the Steelers running game was effective up to that point, so he figured if the Colts were to punt that'd be another 4 minutes off the clock. The decision to go for it was gutsy, sure, very dumb, absolutely not.

As much as I dislike Manning and enjoy seeing him lose I thought that was a ballsy call. It shifted the momentum back to the Colts and gave them a chance. Had the Colts won that play would have become legendary.
Completely agree here - and I'd guess Gregg Easterbrook will go nuts with this

As a Steeler Fan, I think that was the best Colt play of the game. His team needed a spark of some kind to get back in the game and more importantly keep the crowd/momentum going. Manning was a real leader and stepped up to make that decision. You have to give him credit for that. As for overriding his coach, well, in my opinion it says more about Dungy and his coaching ability than it does Manning and his insubordination. There has to be a reason Dungy teams wither in the playoffs. It comes down to coaching. Cowher has been dinged on this point and rightfully so. I saw odd playcalling (or lack of playcalling on the 4th down decision). I saw a total lack of adjustment from his team after halftime - such as basically neutering James. And I saw an inability to understand the emotional side of the game, as if statistics alone were going to get it done.

Once again, he didn't overrule his coach. Get your facts straight, people.

Turned out to be the right call, but Manning was lucky it worked out that way.
Why was he LUCKY it worked out that way? You are basing it on the fact that since it worked, it was the right call but if it hadn't worked it was the wrong call? It either is the right call or it's not. Indy was down three scores in the 2nd half. If not now, when? What does punting accomplish?You play to win the game.

Absolutely, positively the right call convert or no convert.

When Dungy was asked about this after the game, he said "I was going for it all along.  Peyton knew that because he heard it in the headset.  The Punt team overreacted and ran out onto the field."

Don't know if he was just trying to save face, but that was his comment (paraphrased since I'm quoting it from memory).
Are people ignoring this? I still read comments that Manning called off the punt team yet that isn't true. :wall:
... and that would make the look on his face at the time... false?

Completely agree here - and I'd guess Gregg Easterbrook will go nuts with this
Me thinks Manning reads TMQ.

When Dungy was asked about this after the game, he said "I was going for it all along.  Peyton knew that because he heard it in the headset.  The Punt team overreacted and ran out onto the field."

and they're still ignoring it. Let's review: 1. Dungy wanted to go for it.

2. Manning heard this over his headset.

3. The punt team started onto the field as they normally do in this situation.

4. Manning, being on the field, motioned the punt team off the field because that's what Dungy wanted.

This was not Manning's decision, call, ballsy move, over-riding the coach, insubordination, trying to give the team a spark, whatever, etc. Why is this so difficult to understand?

I thought it was a bold move and was the right move no matter what the outcome of the play would've been.Down 18 in the 4th quarter against a team that was starting to run the ball effectively, punting it away at that point is putting all their faith in the defense's ability to force a turnover. Otherwise, they weren't going to have time. I wasn't happy to see the Colts going for it on that play, that's for sure.Edit to add that it was a bold move no matter who called for it. I believe it was Dungy's call because he really didn't react like a coach who had just been overruled.

If you want to take the facts as being what Dungy said after the game, then so be it.I'll take the look on Dungy's face while it was happening as what is fact.

Once again, he didn't overrule his coach.  Get your facts straight, people.
That's true . . . because Peyton IS the coach!
Yeah, everything I've read indicates that he waved off the punting team. Sure, maybe Dungy ended up agreeing with Manning's gut decision but the fact that the punting team was coming onto the field indicated that SOME COACH waved them in. Manning overrides the coach with every audible he makes. I don't have a problem believing he made that call and then convinced Dungy of it.

Great thread!!! big bold words, name calling, making fun of 5-digiters, circumnavigating the language filter, etc. Well done. :thumbup:

If you want to take the facts as being what Dungy said after the game, then so be it.I'll take the look on Dungy's face while it was happening as what is fact.
What in Dungy's history suggests to you that he would lie about what happened?

[

Are people ignoring this? I still read comments that Manning called off the punt team yet that isn't true.
default_wallbash.gif'

Then why did Dungy look (on the sideline, at the time-not press conference afterwards) like a stranger just walked up and stomped on his toes? Hurt and confused.

Once again, he didn't overrule his coach.  Get your facts straight, people.
What in Dungy's history suggests to you that he would lie about what happened?
Its a save face move as mentioned above.What coach in his right mind is going to go into a postgame press conference and admit to something like that?

Saying that it was a mutual decision avoids 6 months of offseason turmoil and saves his rep.

Why is this a poll?  Why does it matter?
Boy, we think we're special don't we?Oh, and before you pull out the 5 digit crap on me, I've been a member of this board since near its inception. I just had to reregister this year due to my previous account information being lost.

It's not the amount of time someone's been around, it's the knowledge they have to contribute.
A 5 digiter with a team in the sig.There's a shock.

A 5 digiter with a team in the sig.There's a shock.
This is a fantastic exhibition of member number shtick. :thumbup:

Turned out to be the right call, but Manning was lucky it worked out that way.
Why was he LUCKY it worked out that way? You are basing it on the fact that since it worked, it was the right call but if it hadn't worked it was the wrong call? It either is the right call or it's not. Indy was down three scores in the 2nd half. If not now, when? What does punting accomplish?You play to win the game.

Absolutely, positively the right call convert or no convert.
He was LUCKY he converted, just in the sense that it could have just as easily gone the other way. But I'm not basing the "right call" on the fact that it worked, but rather that the game came down to a missed 3 point kick at the end of regulation. Had Indy managed to score a couple more times and end up with a bigger spread, than I would argue that no, it wasn't the right call because it wouldn't have been necessary. Of course, no way to know that until the game is over either, and you are right, you gotta play to win.

Are people ignoring this? I still read comments that Manning called off the punt team yet that isn't true.
default_wallbash.gif'

Then why did Dungy look (on the sideline, at the time-not press conference afterwards) like a stranger just walked up and stomped on his toes? Hurt and confused.

Because it was late in the game and he was forced to make the call of going for it on 4th down?

This is ridiculous,Dungy made the call,Manning heard it and waved off the punt team....I have seen on numerous occasions where Peyton ,being ultra-competitive,wanted to go on 4th down and Tony said no,it is always Tonys call,period.

Because it was late in the game and he was forced to make the call of going for it on 4th down?This is ridiculous,Dungy made the call,Manning heard it and waved off the punt team....I have seen on numerous occasions where Peyton ,being ultra-competitive,wanted to go on 4th down and Tony said no,it is always Tonys call,period.
Maybe - but why should people listen to logic when they can speculate based on a look a coach had. Couldnt have been he was annoyed that the punt team was running out there - it had to be that Manning was changing the play!

Because it was late in the game and he was forced to make the call of going for it on 4th down?This is ridiculous,Dungy made the call,Manning heard it and waved off the punt team....I have seen on numerous occasions where Peyton ,being ultra-competitive,wanted to go on 4th down and Tony said no,it is always Tonys call,period.
Maybe - but why should people listen to logic when they can speculate based on a look a coach had. Couldnt have been he was annoyed that the punt team was running out there - it had to be that Manning was changing the play!
Or maybe Dungy had gas. That would make me go :unsure: too.

Users who are viewing this thread