What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What gives with Mark Ingram? (1 Viewer)

el centro

Footballguy
I haven't had a chance to see any NOS games this year. What's the deal with Ingram? Is he not healthy? Playing in the wrong offense for his skill-set? He isn't just a Fantasy Dud to this point, he's not even doing anything on the NFL front either. Anyone have some feedback they can offer?

Pierre Thomas may be the most criminally underrated RB of the last 10 years.

Clearly outperformed Bush....

Bring in Ingram...

Bush thrives in Miami...

Clearly outperformed Ingram...

Maybe they'll bring another Heisman RB Pierre can outperform.

Won't write off Ingram, but for as much talk as his 'first 10 yard split' got, he looks painfully slow in pads with his first 10 yards. (Slower than Pierre. Slower than Ivory)

Last edited by a moderator:
Misfit for the offense, not getting snaps, and I'm not convinced he's healthy.

Hoping for a Benson-like career path and pick him up just before he goes to his next team

He's not even better than Chris Ivory and doesn't even fit NO offence. 27 carries for 79 yards on the year, can't defend those numbers

Totally wrong team for his skills. Everyone thought the Saints drafted him to be battering ram when they were ahead and not so much.

Id like to see one game where they give him 20 + carries and not shuffle him in and out every other play.
That day will have to wait until he resurfaces down the road on another team.I agree with what you're implying here, but the Saints will likely never feed him the ball steadily.Having said that, New Orleans may need to rethink their offensive philosophy pretty quick here if they want to make some noise in 2012.

He SUCKS!!!
Real productive post.Thanks for your brilliant insight.He does not fit in this system. He is a highly talented RB. He is not getting into any kind of rhythm in this offense.If he got 20 carries.....a different tune would be sung about him. He did not forget how to play football.On a team like Pittsburgh.....who is dying for a feature back...he would kill it. He is not getting enough carries to be productive. He is a classic chain mover, and aback who would get better as the game wore on. He has great burst through the line. His first 10 yards are great. And that is what makes a great chain mover. He will not score long TD's. Again he is a classic chain mover. 4-5 yards a pop with some 15-20 yard scampers.But...we will never know until either The Saints play the kid....or he catches on with a new team in a couple of years.

He looks surprisingly average to me at the NFL level. I'll confess that I had him rated above AJ Green and Julio Jones in rookie drafts last year. Big mistake. Ingram isn't a bad player, but he doesn't really have special qualities at the pro level. I could see him having a Cedric Benson or maybe a Marshawn Lynch type of career. Anything more than that would surprise me at this point.

Having said that, I would be happy to take a cheap flyer on him in some dynasty leagues in another year or two if he has become a complete afterthought. He's not terrible. He's just not special.

He SUCKS!!!
Real productive post.Thanks for your brilliant insight.He does not fit in this system. He is a highly talented RB. He is not getting into any kind of rhythm in this offense.If he got 20 carries.....a different tune would be sung about him. He did not forget how to play football.On a team like Pittsburgh.....who is dying for a feature back...he would kill it. He is not getting enough carries to be productive. He is a classic chain mover, and aback who would get better as the game wore on. He has great burst through the line. His first 10 yards are great. And that is what makes a great chain mover. He will not score long TD's. Again he is a classic chain mover. 4-5 yards a pop with some 15-20 yard scampers.But...we will never know until either The Saints play the kid....or he catches on with a new team in a couple of years.
I'm a huge Ingram fan (Bama Alum) and have had him on my team this year and last. I followed him all the way from his high school recruiting days and always thought he was an immense talent. However, I feel as if he isn't the same player he was in college and his style of play hasn't translated well to the NFL level. I also no longer see the much heralded 10-yard split, as he seems to lack burst off the hand off. I understand the logic that he is a back meant to produce at high volumes, and I completely understand the need to get into a rhythm. However, he has had multiple weeks where he has been the back with the most carries and has not produced well with them, and generally at a lesser level to the other NO backs. Given this fact and his talent, I have a hard time defending his results. If you are to be a starting NFL back, it is unreasonable to REQUIRE 20+ touches to have a productive day from both a fantasy and real life standpoint. Again, this is coming from an owner and long time fan so if anything my bias should tip my opinion to the other side of the scale.

if he was a special talent, he would have showed flashes of it now, 20 touches a game or not. He's never flashed anything we saw of him in college. His second team will have to get the most out of him.

Landed in the worst possible spot.

He would be a stud on a team like Cincy or the Jets.

He SUCKS!!!
sorry, I cant agree with this. I see a slow, plodding below average talent. Its not the system, its him

Anyone still hanging onto this guy in keeper leagues? I still have a couple managers in my league that are willing to take him in trade, but it would suck pretty bad to trade him and watch him become a stud on another team.

The scary part about Ingram is that Pierre Thomas is doubling his YPC and is actually a threat out of the backfield.

Anyone still hanging onto this guy in keeper leagues? I still have a couple managers in my league that are willing to take him in trade, but it would suck pretty bad to trade him and watch him become a stud on another team.
He's not going to be a stud in NO.

The scary part about Ingram is that Pierre Thomas is doubling his YPC and is actually a threat out of the backfield.
Thomas deserves more carries and touches, not sure why Ingram continues to even get carries at this point.

Ingram runs like a fat pile of Ron Dayne. He simply doesn't have the athleticism, speed, or elusiveness to make defenders miss and he's not a very powerful runner either who can run people over. At Alabama, Ingram was a good player on a great team and was probably one of the most overrated prospects in the 2011 draft, due in part to winning the '09 Heisman. You can say Ingram is not a good fit for the Saints, but that's like saying Shonn Greene is not a good fit for the Jets. The bottom line is that they just aren't special RB's and are virtually non-existent in the passing game as well.

I'll still buy him on the cheap in dynasty. Remember when Reggie Bush looked like the least talented guy in NO then suddenly figured it out after going to Miami? Ingram really hasn't looked good, I agree, but I have to think he might do better in a more traditional offense - he's a traditional old-school I formation tailback trying to play a prt time role in an offensive system about as far from his strengths as is imaginable. He was probably over-rated coming out of college, but I don't think he's total garbage, which is what he's looked like to this point.

I'll still buy him on the cheap in dynasty. Remember when Reggie Bush looked like the least talented guy in NO then suddenly figured it out after going to Miami? Ingram really hasn't looked good, I agree, but I have to think he might do better in a more traditional offense - he's a traditional old-school I formation tailback trying to play a prt time role in an offensive system about as far from his strengths as is imaginable. He was probably over-rated coming out of college, but I don't think he's total garbage, which is what he's looked like to this point.
What's cheap to you?

You would think with Ivory waiting to be active, they might look to deal him for like a 4th rounder. He is just not a fit in the offense. Probably getting carries now just because of where he was drafted, and at the expense of Sproles and Thomas.

A goofy team like the Jets would probably jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's cheap to you?
I'd definitely send a 2nd for him. Maybe a 1st if I was very confident my team was likely to go deep in the playoffs. An older "startable" guy if I had some positional depth. A flavor of the month like Alfred Morris.

Here's my take on what's going on:

Every time he's in the game it's a run and defenses key on him. For me this indicates that he's poor blocker. I don't think he's a supremely talented but he's talented enough to be an effective RB if used correctly. However, until he's able to block well enough to keep defenses guessing then he won't have any value. I think he's a good enough receiver since he did it at Alabama but he's needs to be able to pass protect or defenses will know every time where the ball is going.

Here's my take on what's going on:Every time he's in the game it's a run and defenses key on him. For me this indicates that he's poor blocker. I don't think he's a supremely talented but he's talented enough to be an effective RB if used correctly. However, until he's able to block well enough to keep defenses guessing then he won't have any value. I think he's a good enough receiver since he did it at Alabama but he's needs to be able to pass protect or defenses will know every time where the ball is going.
:goodposting: Every time they sub him in, the Saints are ringing the dinner bell to the opposing defense that it is going to be a run. It would be interesting to see the ratio of offensive snaps to rushes for Ingram. It just seems like the defense is keying in on him because they know what is coming.

Here's my take on what's going on:Every time he's in the game it's a run and defenses key on him. For me this indicates that he's poor blocker. I don't think he's a supremely talented but he's talented enough to be an effective RB if used correctly. However, until he's able to block well enough to keep defenses guessing then he won't have any value. I think he's a good enough receiver since he did it at Alabama but he's needs to be able to pass protect or defenses will know every time where the ball is going.
:goodposting: Every time they sub him in, the Saints are ringing the dinner bell to the opposing defense that it is going to be a run. It would be interesting to see the ratio of offensive snaps to rushes for Ingram. It just seems like the defense is keying in on him because they know what is coming.
I don't recall the exact number, but IIRC, it's around 65%.

I don't recall the exact number, but IIRC, it's around 65%.
That's pretty crazy considering they run 27% of the time. Last game the only hole I saw for him was called back by holding. Other than that the line was stuffed. I see some space for the others. When Ingram gets the ball its like the defense has 15 guys.

Not much in the room of rushing yards, but 8rec for 98yds is definitely encouraging. Wonder what happens when Spiller comes back? Seems like they had no problem using Ingram in the passing game.

Not much in the room of rushing yards, but 8rec for 98yds is definitely encouraging. Wonder what happens when Spiller comes back? Seems like they had no problem using Ingram in the passing game.
This happened a few times last year when NO had a few injuries at RB. The dude can catch, I just wish he had the chance to show it more often.

This happened a few times last year when NO had a few injuries at RB. The dude can catch, I just wish he had the chance to show it more often.
Yup I do remember a game last year where he had a decent amount of catches. It just doesn't make sense why they don't let him do it more. 8/98 is a really good line for him receiving wise. The rushing yards weren't quite there yesterday, but he did only have 9 carries.

I realize there was no room and more carries probably wouldn't have mattered yesterday but seeing him and Robinson almost going carry for carry was pretty demoralizing. I guess it was foolish of me to think something was going to change this year.

I realize there was no room and more carries probably wouldn't have mattered yesterday but seeing him and Robinson almost going carry for carry was pretty demoralizing. I guess it was foolish of me to think something was going to change this year.
Yeah that was kind of strange. Didn't really expect to see that. I'm just curious to see what Ingram's role is when Spiller comes back. Would Spiller really have do more with Ingram's receptions?

Yeah that was kind of strange. Didn't really expect to see that. I'm just curious to see what Ingram's role is when Spiller comes back. Would Spiller really have do more with Ingram's receptions?
Not sure but he wouldn't have done less. Spiller is dynamic in the role Ingram played yesterday.

That split yesterday was bizarre and helped Ingram's day. Not sure what to expect with a healthy Ingram.

Yup I do remember a game last year where he had a decent amount of catches. It just doesn't make sense why they don't let him do it more. 8/98 is a really good line for him receiving wise. The rushing yards weren't quite there yesterday, but he did only have 9 carries.
He actually had over 100 (bonus!) until the next to last play where he caught it for a negative 4. Cost me 4 points.....

Not sure but he wouldn't have done less. Spiller is dynamic in the role Ingram played yesterday.

That split yesterday was bizarre and helped Ingram's day. Not sure what to expect with a healthy Ingram.
I think you meant "with a healthy Spiller", right? That's exactly what I'm wondering. I suspect most of Ingram's passing targets yesterday would have gone to Spiller if he'd been available.

I think both will be good, but hard to trust week-to-week. Ingram owners who start one and flex the other could be in for a super-high floor, though.

Users who are viewing this thread