What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What I have learned in week 1 - 2012 so far (1 Viewer)

One thing to the Kevin Smith people in this post, enjoy next week. The Lions will get Leshoure some touches, and touchdowns are hard to predict. I am glad I only own him in best ball leagues.

Maybe 2009 was the anomaly for Chris Johnson and not 2011.

RG3 has not only earned his nickname, but by the start of rookie drafts next year we might be comparing all rookie quarterbacks to him and his records.
Didn't he earn the nickname "RG3" by having the name Robert Griffin III?
Some people were saying you have to earn that nickname and he would be Bob Griffin until he did. I forget who.
Osi Umenyiora said it
Thanks

Mad I didn't pull the trigger in any league on Ridley.

Was right that NO would have a tough season after what happened in the offseason to them.

Surprised at how well Dallas played.

My pick of the Texans vs 49ers in the Sb at least looks realistic after week1.

Stafford played horrible and went for 355, he's an automatic 4k if not 4.5k

Sitting ADP may cost me in one league, never bench your studs I guess.

Brandon Marshall to Cutler looks very good, where I have I seen that before?

And 19 more yards then djax doesn't really qualify as "by far"
Stats aside, Maclin took a beating today and still looked like the best WR on the field. He's the Eagles best WR.
Exactly, Maclin runs better routes, and just looks like a better receiver.
ask the Browns who the better WR is, they used Joe Haden to shadow DeSean Jackson so I think we know their opinion
My bad I forgot the Browns never make a mistake when it comes to game planning. That is why they have been so good for the last 10 years.
I thought they game planned quite well actually. Haden kept desean from taking the top off the defense. He contained him. And they intercepted Vick 4 times. Id say that was pretty good planning and execution. If their offense was able to muster anything at all they could have won that game.

Denver looks like a good team with potential

Atlanta..... Wow

Worried about Saints, but Sproles should still get his. His is a spark plug

Randy wants a ring and should have a pretty good year

Washington will be fun to watch. It's been a while since this has happened.

Philly....what the heck

Is this a vintage Peyton Manning team? Quick scores on the offense, the defense is on the field way to long, and that philosophy kills them in the playoffs and they are one and done again?

New England may have drafted the two best defensive players in this years draft with Jones/Hightower.Wes Welkers days as a fantasy stud are over.Kenny Britt will have a HUGE season if the titans play calling stays that aggresive all season.Dwill is worthless.Benson is worthless.Brandon Marshall is going to dominate.Time to cash out on Forte if you have him. RGIII to Garcon is going to be a sweet hook-up all year.Rashad Jennings... we barely knew ya, kid.
huh? forte looked awesome
I'm reading this as, "If you don't have Forte in full point PPR, sell." He looked amazing to me. The presence of Michael Bush in non-PPR leagues will drive Forte owners nuts all season. In non-PPR, I'd sell now and get out on a high note if you can get alot for him.
he scored a td :shrug: and looked amazing
The Chicago Sun Times confirms Michael Bush will continue to be the Bears' goal-line back, "whether (Matt) Forte likes it or not."Bush also dipped into Forte's open-field carries in Sunday's Opening Day win over the Colts, rushing 12 times including his two goal-line scores. Forte finished with 19 touches. "It’s good to have a player like Michael, period, all over the field," coach Lovie Smith said. "That’s why we brought him in here." Expect this to be more of a committee backfield going forward.Related: Michael BushSource: Chicago Sun-Times

Sanchez gives Jets fans hope once again. Seen that, been there. However... as raw as S Hill is, he has it all excepting good hands. Fixable? If so... he's gonna be a stud.

If R Moss had J Rice's work ethic, he would be considered the best WR of all time. He doesn't, and he won't.

P Manning didn't have to prove to me he is one of the best all time QB's, but even the doubters have to eat crow now. The arguement he scores to fast and keeps the D on the field too much is ridiculous.

Picked SF and Denver for the Supe. Not changing my prediction.

RGIII looks awsome. Really. I'd still take Luck for the long haul.

I only want to play in flex leagues that allow for 1 RB in the starting lineup.

Ridley... one game against TN and he's gonna be a stud? Not buying.

Reggie Wayne will blow past his ADP. Easilly.

Dropping my IDP leagues was a good decision. I just don't have the time to spend 10 hours a week reseaching and analyzing. FF is fun, rather than a chore again.

Saettle's loss was not the fault of their rookie QB. Braylon Edwards, please step up to the microphone. We know you can't step up on the field already.

After last season I thought that GB and NEP (others too) would try to get more of a running game so that they could control the ball; after this week I think NEP gets it, GB hasn't. I thought Rodgers stats would be down but I'm not sure now, I think Brady stats are going to be down.

I think the Giants are better than 8-8.

I think that DAL has the same problems they had last year.

San Fran looks real good.

I don't think that Mendenhall is going to save the PIT run game.

Mike Wallace isn't an afterthought but needs to do better.

Antonio Brown got his bell rung; it will be interesting to see how he reacts to traffic.

Heath Miller looked good and was utilized well after there was talk about the new blood at TE for PIT last year.

ATL looks real good.

Crabtree did better than I thought.

I was glad for Peyton and he was precise but some of his throws seemed shaky.

Cam Newton is a stud but his WR corps is avg and his OL is well below avg.

Randall Cobb is the Percy Harvin of the Packers offense.

Peyton Manning isn't done.

Brandon Weeden is a bum. RGIII is a phenom.

Mark Sanchez isn't going to roll over for TT.

CJ Spiller is on the same level as prime Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson.

Chandler Jones may be the biggest star in his family.

Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon were THE value plays at WR this season.

Julio Jones and Matt Ryan will both push for top 5 status in their positions.

Shanahan is a terrible head coach and is the only thing that will stop RG3 from being an elite fantasy QB.

The coaching staff in New Orleans is far too conservative without Payton and Vitt. All Saints should be downgraded at least until Vitt returns, but probably for the reason of the season.

Cam Newton is a stud but his WR corps is avg and his OL is well below avg.

Randall Cobb is the Percy Harvin of the Packers offense.

Peyton Manning isn't done.

Brandon Weeden is a bum. RGIII is a phenom.

Mark Sanchez isn't going to roll over for TT.

CJ Spiller is on the same level as prime Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson.

Chandler Jones may be the biggest star in his family.

Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon were THE value plays at WR this season.

Julio Jones and Matt Ryan will both push for top 5 status in their positions.
That is QUITE the statement.

After last season I thought that GB and NEP (others too) would try to get more of a running game so that they could control the ball; after this week I think NEP gets it, GB hasn't.
2011 49ers rush D: 1236 yards(#1 in NFL)2011 Titans rush D: 2053 yards(#24 in NFL)I think this might have something to do with that.

'Voice Of Reason said:
Shanahan is a terrible head coach and is the only thing that will stop RG3 from being an elite fantasy QB.
Uh...what?
his playcalling was absolutely terrible\they ran it for over 40 times for 3.5 a pop vs Griffin's 26 pass attempts, got so incredibly conservative with the lead that gave the Saints a chance to come back when the Saints were thoroughly outplayed for the entire game.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of names of guys many thought whose best games were behind them will continue to prove they are vastly better than their ADP this year:

Mark Sanchez

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Willis McGahee

Reggie Bush

Steve Smith

Reggie Wayne

Santana Holmes (and I'd wager the other Santana [Moss] too in the coming weeks)

Marques Colston

Tony Gonzalez

Greg Olsen

Owen Daniels

Heath Miller

Brent Celek

'Voice Of Reason said:
Uh...what?
his playcalling was absolutely terrible
says the new orleans fan who's team was dominated by a rookie quarterback starting his first NFL game in the superdome. :hophead:
yes, the game should not have been nearly as close as it was

'Voice Of Reason said:
Not sure what this is based on, but other than being a little too conservative on the series before the end of the half(resulting in the blocked punt) I absolutely loved the playcalling and schemes today from Shanny. They came out throwing a ton of short passes(RG was 6/6 on the first drive) and then hit them with the big play on the second series. It was such a great way to get RG3 some confidence early on and to surprise an opponent who didn't at all seem to be expecting an onslaught of short passes during the first series. After they got out to a lead, they came back with the running game and Morris had a solid day. I thought they were very well balanced and kept N.O. totally guessing all day long. I particularly loved late in the game on 2nd down when they were trying to run the clock out(think it was their 2nd to last possession) and they went play action....so many coaches go run/run/pass and end up going 3 and out in those situations.

A lot of names of guys many thought whose best games were behind them will continue to prove they are vastly better than their ADP this year:

Mark Sanchez

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Willis McGahee

Reggie Bush

Steve Smith

Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston

Tony Gonzalez

Greg Olsen

Owen Daniels

Heath Miller

Brent Celek
I'll give you Santana Moss, but I bet we don't hear a lot about Santana Holmes this season.

'Voice Of Reason said:
Uh...what?
his playcalling was absolutely terrible
says the new orleans fan who's team was dominated by a rookie quarterback starting his first NFL game in the superdome. :hophead:
yes, the game should not have been nearly as close as it was
:lmao: what they should have done and what they did isn't all that different...

'Voice Of Reason said:
Not sure what this is based on, but other than being a little too conservative on the series before the end of the half(resulting in the blocked punt) I absolutely loved the playcalling and schemes today from Shanny. They came out throwing a ton of short passes(RG was 6/6 on the first drive) and then hit them with the big play on the second series. After they got out to a lead, they came back with the running game and did a great job moving the ball. I thought they were very well balanced and kept N.O. totally guessing all day long.
I really like the WR screen over and over again to start the game. Adjust only after the defense proves they can stop it.The 2nd half series before the punt block was terrible. Despite moving the ball at will they ran the clock out with 2 minutes and at least 2 of the 3 timeouts remaining. Running the ball when it was so ineffective vs letting Griffin pass is just poor playcalling imo. 44 runs vs a 20-26 passer with at least 3 reciever drops is what let the Saints back into the game.ETA: 10 of the runs were Griffin's carries, but I recall at least half of those were designed runs

perhaps you're right. I just looked at the drive log, and their 4th quarter drives all sucked(they only scored on one because they started at the 3 yard line after an INT). I can buy your argument that they got overly conservative late. However, I think you're being silly in giving Shanny no credit for all of the positives we saw today. The Redskins put up 10 points in every quarter in a road game against a tough opponent(albeit a tough opponent with a bad defense).

Still though, it was a 16 point game so I can understand why they would be conservative. They allowed two 4th down TDs(including a long bomb on 4th and 10). Stop one of those and the conservative strategy looks a lot better, as the Saints never get within one score.

'Voice Of Reason said:
Not sure what this is based on, but other than being a little too conservative on the series before the end of the half(resulting in the blocked punt) I absolutely loved the playcalling and schemes today from Shanny. They came out throwing a ton of short passes(RG was 6/6 on the first drive) and then hit them with the big play on the second series. After they got out to a lead, they came back with the running game and did a great job moving the ball. I thought they were very well balanced and kept N.O. totally guessing all day long.
I really like the WR screen over and over again to start the game. Adjust only after the defense proves they can stop it.The 2nd half series before the punt block was terrible. Despite moving the ball at will they ran the clock out with 2 minutes and at least 2 of the 3 timeouts remaining. Running the ball when it was so ineffective vs letting Griffin pass is just poor playcalling imo. 44 runs vs a 20-26 passer with at least 3 reciever drops is what let the Saints back into the game.ETA: 10 of the runs were Griffin's carries, but I recall at least half of those were designed runs
we can nit pick every single game like this... but to me it seems like a jaded saints fan just watched his team lose and wants to rain on the winning team's parade.

'LawFitz said:
Cam Newton is a stud but his WR corps is avg and his OL is well below avg.Randall Cobb is the Percy Harvin of the Packers offense.Peyton Manning isn't done.Brandon Weeden is a bum. RGIII is a phenom.Mark Sanchez isn't going to roll over for TT.CJ Spiller is on the same level as prime Jamaal Charles/Chris Johnson.Chandler Jones may be the biggest star in his family.Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon were THE value plays at WR this season.Julio Jones and Matt Ryan will both push for top 5 status in their positions.
i'm not sold on Spiller....once the Jets got up their D relaxed a bit. The way Fitzpatrick is playing teams will pack the box.LOL Jon Jones has been on Jay Leno, he's the light-heavy weight champ. At worst, #3 pound for pound fighter in the sport. He's got a K-Swiss shoe on the way, an endorsement deal with Nike, Chandler Jones better become the next LT if he wants to the biggest star.Def agree about Reggie Wayne. Collie can't get healthy and if he does, he's one hit away from being out again. Wayne almost hit the 1000 yard mark last year with Collins/Painter. He was very undervalued this year.I still think Roddy White is Ryan's top target. Julio/Roddy kinda reminds me of Dez/Austin. New kid on the block, physical freak vs the vet who has more reps with their quarterback. Doug Martin looks good, once the game slows down for him and he sees or gets to the hole a little faster he could have some huge runs.

'LawFitz said:
I still think Roddy White is Ryan's top target. Julio/Roddy kinda reminds me of Dez/Austin. New kid on the block, physical freak vs the vet who has more reps with their quarterback.
Except Dez has 1 100 yard game in 28 starts and Julio has 6 in 14.

'Voice Of Reason said:
You're so clueless, it's laughable.1. Kyle Shanahan calls the plays, not the head coach Mike Shanahan.2. Griffin had such a great debut passing the ball partially because his fake handoff is just sick. You can't utilize play-action fakes or misdirection if you don't actually...you know...prove that you will run the ball.3. One of the biggest criticisms of Kyle's play calling from skins fans the past two years has been that he actually gets TOO pass happy, regardless of game situation or the fact that we HAD mediocre QB's hucking the rock around the whole time. Now he works hard to establish the run to control the clock in a game not nearly as close as the score makes it look, and that's a bad thing?4. Putting the ball in the hands of a rookie QB 30-35+ times, even a guy like RG3, is just asking for trouble. It's smart to mix in a strong run game to take the pressure off of him, to allow the PA pass to work well, and to shorten the game (although this didn't happen because the saints didnt run at all). 5. Take a look at the final score and the TOP throughout the game. The gameplan was fine, and the Skins out-executed the Saints.Shanahan is the symbol of what's RIGHT with this team as we enter a new era with a completely revamped roster and a totally different team culture. He's our leader, and his son is a bright young offensive mind who called a pretty great game.

'LawFitz said:
I still think Roddy White is Ryan's top target. Julio/Roddy kinda reminds me of Dez/Austin. New kid on the block, physical freak vs the vet who has more reps with their quarterback.
Except Dez has 1 100 yard game in 28 starts and Julio has 6 in 14.
and i'm sure roddy white has a lot more `100 yard games than Miles Austin. And Miles Austin wasnt the most targeted receiver last year. Point is I still think Roddy White has the better statistical season.

Mark Sanchez

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Willis McGahee

Reggie Bush

Steve Smith

Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston

Tony Gonzalez

Greg Olsen

Owen Daniels

Heath Miller

Brent Celek
I'll give you Santana Moss, but I bet we don't hear a lot about Santana Holmes this season.
Interesting -- why? If anything I think it's a bigger stretch with Moss. He's a proven veteran, but he has many talented hands around him to compete for targets -- Garcon and Josh Morgan (both ahead of Moss on the depth chart), the up and coming Leonard Hankerson, and Fred Davis.Holmes has to compete with relative unknowns like Turner and Kerley as well as Stephen Hill -- the latter two had a significant day, but Holmes is still the #1 and a proven commodity. May not be flashy, but if Sanchez stays steady, Holmes is likely the biggest benefactor.

Mark Sanchez

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Willis McGahee

Reggie Bush

Steve Smith

Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston

Tony Gonzalez

Greg Olsen

Owen Daniels

Heath Miller

Brent Celek
Interesting -- why? If anything I think it's a bigger stretch with Moss. He's a proven veteran, but he has many talented hands around him to compete for targets -- Garcon and Josh Morgan (both ahead of Moss on the depth chart), the up and coming Leonard Hankerson, and Fred Davis.Holmes has to compete with relative unknowns like Turner and Kerley as well as Stephen Hill -- the latter two had a significant day, but Holmes is still the #1 and a proven commodity. May not be flashy, but if Sanchez stays steady, Holmes is likely the biggest benefactor.
i'm pretty sure he was making fun of you, sir. there is no one by the name Santana Holmes in the NFL.

I have some free time right now, so lets go through and dissect the playcalling a bit more in depth.

The numbers below are: Time of Possession, Starting Field Position, number of plays, yards gained, and result of drive.

1st Quarter

7:29 WAS 32 12 49 FG

0:00 WAS 12 1 88 TD

6:20 WAS 43 12 62 TD

2nd Quarter

3:05 WAS 48 7 29 FG

1:06 WAS 20 3 8 Punt

0:40 WAS 20 1 -1 End Half

3rd Quarter

3:31 WAS 23 6 77 TD

3:40 WAS 36 8 45 FG

5:51 WAS 20 12 53 FG

4th Quarter

2:14 WAS 23 3 2 Punt

2:56 WAS 20 4 19 Punt

0:00 NO 3 1 3 TD

2:25 2:03 WAS 20 5 22 Punt

I'm assuming that theres not a whole lot to complain about on the scoring drives, so lets focus on playcalling on the non-scoring drives:

Drive #5

1st-10, WAS20 1:46 R. Griffin III rushed to the right for 2 yard loss

2nd-12, WAS18 1:01 E. Royster rushed to the right for 8 yard gain

3rd-4, WAS26 0:52 E. Royster rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

4th-2, WAS28 0:40 New Orleans blocked punt attempt by S. Rocca. C. Roby returned for 4 yards

The first down play was a pass, but IIRC RG3 and the RB had a mishap resulting in RG3 stumbling and getting sacked. So the Redskins then found themselves with 1:01 left in the half, on their own 18 yard line, and up 13 points. I think that a conservative approach is best here, as you definitely don't want to find yourself in 3rd and long and perhaps having to make a risky throw. They ran the ball and picked up enough yardage to set up a reasonably makeable 3rd down attempt. On 3rd and 4, I don't like the play call but I can kinda understand it- If he gets the 1st then you hurry to the line and enter your hurry up offense. If he doesn't get it then at least you force the Saints to burn their last timeout. Obviously the blocked punt sucked. I do agree that I would've much rather seen them let RG3 throw on 3rd and 4. With that said, I'm probably being results oriented- if they make the 1st down then they throw the ball for the rest of the drive and we don't think anything of the 3rd down playcall.

Drive #6

1st-10, WAS20 0:40 R. Griffin III rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

Standard end of half kneel down. No issues here.

Drive #10

1st-10, WAS23 9:37 A. Morris rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, WAS25 8:53 A. Morris rushed to the left for 1 yard loss

3rd-9, WAS24 8:14 R. Griffin III passed to S. Moss to the right for 6 yard gain

4th-3, WAS30 8:14 Washington committed 5 yard penalty

4th-8, WAS25 7:23 S. Rocca punt. D. Sproles returned punt for 5 yards

Washington was up 33-17 with 9:37 left in the game. The New Orleans offense had only put up 10 points all game long. I definitely don't like the two running plays here, but considering the situation I don't think its the worst coaching mistake in the world.

Drive #11

1st-10, WAS20 6:19 R. Griffin III passed to A. Robinson down the middle for 13 yard gain

1st-10, WAS33 5:42 A. Morris rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

2nd-7, WAS36 4:58 R. Griffin III sacked by P. Robinson

3rd-16, WAS27 4:20 R. Griffin III rushed to the left for 12 yard gain

4th-4, WAS39 3:39 S. Rocca punt. D. Sproles returned punt for 9 yards

Washington had just failed to ice the game by allowing a 33 yard TD pass on 4th and 10. However, they came out passing on 1st down and picked up 13 yards. Then they ran the ball once. Then they attempted to pass the ball on 2nd and 3rd down. 3 passing plays, 1 run....can't find much to complain about here.

Drive #13

1st-10, WAS20 2:25 A. Morris rushed to the left for 3 yard loss

2nd-13, WAS17 2:22 R. Griffin III passed to L. Paulsen down the middle for 22 yard gain

1st-10, WAS39 2:13 A. Morris rushed to the right for no gain

2nd-10, WAS39 2:00 D. Young rushed to the right for 1 yard gain

3rd-9, WAS40 1:17 A. Morris rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

4th-7, WAS42 0:22 S. Rocca punt, touchback

Washington was up 8. The Saints had 2 TOs and the 2 minute warning, so they needed one first down to leave the Saints with practically no time remaining(the Saints only were able to run 3 plays once they got the ball back at their own 20 yard line). I like running on 1st down...make NO use a timeout and see if you can start the drive with some positive yards. Well it was stuffed. Then they came back and imo made the playcall of the game- a successful play action pass for a 1st down. At that point, keeping the clock running was priority #1 and I am perfectly fine with those runs.

In conclusion I think the playcalling was fine. There were maybe 2 or 3 playcalls that I didn't like(on these drives that didn't result in points, I didn't look at the other drives), and there were a ton of positives that the Redskins and their coaching staff accomplished today.

Mark Sanchez

Peyton Manning

Frank Gore

Willis McGahee

Reggie Bush

Steve Smith

Reggie Wayne

Marques Colston

Tony Gonzalez

Greg Olsen

Owen Daniels

Heath Miller

Brent Celek
:lmao: You won't be seeing much of Santana Holmes because there is no such player named Santana Holmes. There is a player named Santonio Holmes though. I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.

'1rebmun said:
'shadyridr said:
'mquinnjr said:
'shadyridr said:
'Carver said:
New England may have drafted the two best defensive players in this years draft with Jones/Hightower.Wes Welkers days as a fantasy stud are over.Kenny Britt will have a HUGE season if the titans play calling stays that aggresive all season.Dwill is worthless.Benson is worthless.Brandon Marshall is going to dominate.Time to cash out on Forte if you have him. RGIII to Garcon is going to be a sweet hook-up all year.Rashad Jennings... we barely knew ya, kid.
huh? forte looked awesome
I'm reading this as, "If you don't have Forte in full point PPR, sell." He looked amazing to me. The presence of Michael Bush in non-PPR leagues will drive Forte owners nuts all season. In non-PPR, I'd sell now and get out on a high note if you can get alot for him.
he scored a td :shrug: and looked amazing
The Chicago Sun Times confirms Michael Bush will continue to be the Bears' goal-line back, "whether (Matt) Forte likes it or not."Bush also dipped into Forte's open-field carries in Sunday's Opening Day win over the Colts, rushing 12 times including his two goal-line scores. Forte finished with 19 touches. "It’s good to have a player like Michael, period, all over the field," coach Lovie Smith said. "That’s why we brought him in here." Expect this to be more of a committee backfield going forward.Related: Michael BushSource: Chicago Sun-Times
And yet he still put up stud RB1 #s

'Badgers Fan said:
Whether Collie is there or not, old man Reggie Wayne is still going to get his.
More broadly speaking, I think this shows how quickly the fantasy community eschews "older" WRs looking for the new toy.We've seen that WRs, unlike RBs, can be very productive well into their 30s, but many seem to downplay them in drafts.

'Assani Fisher said:
'pittstownkiller said:
After last season I thought that GB and NEP (others too) would try to get more of a running game so that they could control the ball; after this week I think NEP gets it, GB hasn't.
2011 49ers rush D: 1236 yards(#1 in NFL)2011 Titans rush D: 2053 yards(#24 in NFL)I think this might have something to do with that.
Not arguing but there seems to be a different philosophy in NE.

Users who are viewing this thread