What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What time does the draft REALLY start? (1 Viewer)

Nemesis

Footballguy
Everything published says 12 noon, but that's only when they start televising.

Look, we all know that Petey isn't going to immediately sprint to the podium and technically Houston has 15 minutes if they want to wait the full allotment. (1st rd = 15 mins...right?)

Will they go straight to putting Houston on the clock and then let ESPN talk while the clock ticks?

OR

Do they let ESPN talk for a little bit, hype the top players, list Mel's Top 5 available and do cut-ins from Andrea Kramer / John Clayton / Mortensen located in certain "war rooms" before Houston is officially put on the clock?

Anyone have a clue or remember from last year?

(Just trying to guess when the first pick will be officially announced)

And if Houston signs Bush to a contract on Friday, how long is the intro before they "officially" announce it at the podium?

i believe houston's clock starts running at 12:00 EST. there will be plenty of time for espn to hype everyone, etc. i'm a little surprised coverage doesn't start at 11 or 11:30 (if that's what you're saying).

my guess is that houston waits most of the 15 minutes just to see if someone makes a killer offer for the pick.

IIRC, "predraft" coverage starts @11AM eastern, with Houston officially OTC @noon

if Bush has aggreed in principle early, the pick is probably announced right away

if not, some clubs might get Casserly on the horn to discuss a trade, which won't happen

This is what kills me, more so because I am always so excited about the NFL draft.

There could be a scenario where Reggie Bush and Houstona agree on a contract the night before the draft, the draft actually starts at 12:00 and the second pick is not made until 12:30. :rant:

This is what kills me, more so because I am always so excited about the NFL draft.

There could be a scenario where Reggie Bush and Houstona agree on a contract the night before the draft, the draft actually starts at 12:00 and the second pick is not made until 12:30.  :rant:
As long as they don't cut to Ryan Seacrest and he pregnant pauses and then says, "We'll hear who the second pick is..................after the break"

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

There could be a scenario where Reggie Bush and Houstona agree on a contract the night before the draft, the draft actually starts at 12:00 and the second pick is not made until 12:30.  :rant:
As long as they don't cut to Ryan Seacrest and he pregnant pauses and then says, "We'll hear who the second pick is..................after the break"

:banghead:If Tenneesee trades their pick at 14:45, I believe the new owner of 1.02 gets a fresh 15 minute clock. So the 2nd pick may not be made until 12:45.

It's been discussed before, but I do not think the clock resets upon trading a pick.
No it doesn't, but once a team trades for a slot they have a player in mind so it comes right then.The first round can easily take 4+ hours. The first day of 100-ish picks takes 10-12 hours.

It's been discussed before, but I do not think the clock resets upon trading a pick.
No it doesn't, but once a team trades for a slot they have a player in mind so it comes right then.The first round can easily take 4+ hours. The first day of 100-ish picks takes 10-12 hours.
I think this is right, but I suspect the league has to allocate some extra time or else the next team will be up there trying to push their ticket through, ala Minnesota in 2002 (not 2003).

The first round can easily take 4+ hours. The first day of 100-ish picks takes 10-12 hours.
And should be served with a fine selection of smoked brisket, blackened prime rib, ribs, fajitas and all approrpiate sides, while having an ongoing game of Hold'em. It might be the best day of the year. Oh, the clock does not reset after a trade. Sorry, got caught up thinking about some blackened prime rib.

I usually only see the first 4-5 hours of the draft thanks to the sucky coverage of the draft from up here in Canada. From what I remember since I always tape what is televised is that they do their normal promo stuff for 5 or so minutes and THEN Tags announces the draft is underway making it about 12:07-12:10 by the time it starts.

And no teams don't get a fresh 15 minutes if a deal is made. I believe they are given a grace period of about 1 minute to walk up and present their pick.

Nothing beats a Fantasy Draft starting at same time as the real draft!

Plenty to ponder inbetween picks of the pro draft. Just hope it gets back to me and the fantasy draft is a llittle faster then the NFL draft!!

:popcorn: :coffee: :sleep:

The first round can easily take 4+ hours. The first day of 100-ish picks takes 10-12 hours.
And should be served with a fine selection of smoked brisket, blackened prime rib, ribs, fajitas and all approrpiate sides, while having an ongoing game of Hold'em. It might be the best day of the year.

Oh, the clock does not reset after a trade. Sorry, got caught up thinking about some blackened prime rib.
Hard to imagine that this thing wasn't televised 30 years ago.Now the NFL Draft is like Christmas that lasts all weekend, with a gift every 5-15 minutes.

Hard to imagine that this thing wasn't televised 30 years ago.

Now the NFL Draft is like Christmas that lasts all weekend, with a gift every 5-15 minutes.
I'm not sure of the exact quote, but when asked if ESPN could televise the draft a while back Rozelle said something like "why would they do that?".

And should be served with a fine selection of smoked brisket, blackened prime rib, ribs, fajitas and all approrpiate sides, while having an ongoing game of Hold'em. It might be the best day of the year.

Oh, the clock does not reset after a trade. Sorry, got caught up thinking about some blackened prime rib.
Hard to imagine that this thing wasn't televised 30 years ago.Now the NFL Draft is like Christmas that lasts all weekend, with a gift every 5-15 minutes.
Jeff, you are a very wise man

IIRC, "predraft" coverage starts @11AM eastern, with Houston officially OTC @noon

if Bush has aggreed in principle early, the pick is probably announced right away

if not, some clubs might get Casserly on the horn to discuss a trade, which won't happen
ESPN's coverage for the draft starts at noon eastern, but they do have a 2 hour SportsCenter starting at 10, which I'm guessing is some type of pre-draft coverage.NFL Net coverage starts at 11 eastern.

There could be a scenario where Reggie Bush and Houstona agree on a contract the night before the draft, the draft actually starts at 12:00 and the second pick is not made until 12:30. :rant:
My son has a soccer game at 12:00, so let the Texans take as long as they need, that way I don't miss much!! :thumbup:

I hope everyone in the first 12-15 picks each take their full time allotment!! (I don't get home from work till around 3pm :sadbanana: )

15 minutes is too long. they have had 4 months to work out trades.

10 minutes, tops
10? Anything more than 5 is a joke. I watch the first few picks while eating lunch (or listen on radio if working) then usually either dink around the house doing stuff and checking back every so often (ie when a roar from the crowd goes up) or just read the paper the next day.

Unless it's pouring rain out, I honestly pity anyone who doesn't have something more interesting to do than listen to the ESPN dorks babble on and on for 2 whole days while waiting forever + a day for the next pick, esp. after the first round or 3 at most. How can listening to who the Lions draft in round 7 be more interesting than watching paint dry??

10 minutes, tops
10? Anything more than 5 is a joke. I watch the first few picks while eating lunch (or listen on radio if working) then usually either dink around the house doing stuff and checking back every so often (ie when a roar from the crowd goes up) or just read the paper the next day.

Unless it's pouring rain out, I honestly pity anyone who doesn't have something more interesting to do than listen to the ESPN dorks babble on and on for 2 whole days while waiting forever + a day for the next pick, esp. after the first round or 3 at most. How can listening to who the Lions draft in round 7 be more interesting than watching paint dry??
It is when that's a guy from your school. I agree though, I'll watch the first few picks, then monitor at study breaks.

:rant: At the NFL for conducting the draft a few days before my Torts II final. :rant:

;)

10 minutes, tops

IIRC it is 15 for Round 1, 10 for Round 2 (and possibly 3), and 5 for Rounds 4-7.

Jeff, you are a very wise man
:thumbup: :hifive:

:banghead:If Tenneesee trades their pick at 14:45, I believe the new owner of 1.02 gets a fresh 15 minute clock. So the 2nd pick may not be made until 12:45.
Since when does Tennessee have the 2nd pick? :P

I read somewhere the official clock will start at 12:10, but the Texans could submit their pick in advance to speed things up.

Facts & figures on 2006 NFL Draft

WHAT: 71st Annual National Football League Player Selection Meeting.WHERE: Radio City Music Hall, 1260 6th Avenue, New York City (Between 50th and 51st Streets).

WHEN: Noon ET, Saturday, April 29, 2006 (Rounds 1-3).

11 a.m. ET, Sunday, April 30, 2006 (Rounds 4-7).

The first three rounds will conclude on Saturday by approximately 11 p.m. ET. In 2005, the first round consumed five hours and 47 minutes; the second, three hours and nine minutes; and the third, one hour and 50 minutes. The draft will resume on Sunday at 11 a.m. ET for the final four rounds, ending at approximately 6 p.m. ET.

DRAFTING: Representatives of the 32 NFL clubs by telephone communication with their general managers, coaches and scouts.

ROUNDS: Seven Rounds -- Rounds 1 through 3 on Saturday, April 29; and Rounds 4 through 7 on Sunday, April 30.

There will be 255 selections, including 32 compensatory choices that have been awarded to 19 teams which suffered a net loss of certain quality unrestricted free agents last year.

The following 32 compensatory choices will supplement the 223 regular choices in the seven rounds --

Round 3: NY Jets, 33.

Round 4: Denver, 33; Pittsburgh, 34; Baltimore, 35; Pittsburgh, 36.

Round 5: Green Bay, 33; Baltimore, 34; Pittsburgh, 35; Philadelphia, 36; Tennessee, 37.

Round 6: Tampa Bay, 33; Baltimore, 34; Philadelphia, 35; New England, 36; New England, 37; Indianapolis, 38; Baltimore, 39.

Round 7: Tampa Bay, 33; St. Louis, 34; St. Louis, 35; Tampa Bay, 36; Tennessee, 37; Tennessee, 38; Detroit, 39; Buffalo, 40; Seattle, 41; Washington, 42; Houston, 43; New Orleans, 44; Green Bay, 45; San Francisco, 46; Oakland, 47.

The New York Jets (Nos. 4 and 29) and San Francisco (Nos. 6 and 22) each have two selections in the first round. Atlanta and Washington do not have first-round picks. All other teams have one first-round selection.

TIME LIMITS: Round 1: 15 minutes each team. Round 2: 10 minutes each team. Rounds 3 through 7: Five minutes each team.

PLAYERS AT DRAFT: The following players will be at the draft at Radio City on Saturday: Southern California RB Reggie Bush, Maryland TE Vernon Davis, Virginia T D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Southern California QB Matt Leinart, North Carolina State DE Mario Williams and Texas QB Vince Young.

TELEVISION: NFL Network, for the first time, and ESPN/ESPN2 will televise the draft on both days.

INTERNET: Exclusive coverage and behind-the-scenes features on NFL.com and on team websites for draft weekend will include: live streaming of Sirius NFL Radio all weekend; Q&As with the six college players in New York: Reggie Bush, Vernon Davis, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Matt Leinart, Mario Williams and Vince Young; NFL Network coverage and features, including vignettes on the top players; live audio from the draft podium at Radio City; live "Draft Tracker," featuring coverage of each selection; and in-depth coverage from each team website.

GUIDELINES FOR ATTENDING : Local ordinances prohibit individuals from securing overnight positions on the sidewalks directly in front of or around Radio City Music Hall. Fans may line up on the morning of the free event at the direction of Radio City personnel. Fan entry will take place at the "Carriage Door Entrance" located on 50th street between 5th and 6th avenues. The draft is a first-come, first-serve event for the general public and is limited. Doors will open at 11 a.m. The draft begins at noon.

From NFL.com.

Users who are viewing this thread