What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What went wrong? (1 Viewer)

ant

Footballguy
For those of us that didn't make the playoffs is there one specific thing that you point to that cost you this year? For me it was draft prep. I wasn't feeling fantasy football this year after being commish of my standing league for the past 13 years. Got in one with friends last minute and wasn't as ready for the draft as usual and it cost me. Lots of scrambling,trades,f.a.'s and injuries later. Fell short at 7-6. I also bailed on Cam right before he went on his yearly hot streak.

Simple: I drafted the wrong guys.

I started off w/ a bang by taking Ray Rice instead of Shady. I then doubled-down by taking Dez, buying the hype that he'd be the clear #2 fantasy WR behind Megatron, maybe even have a shot at displacing him for #1. Then once Stafford was taken, I took Romo, who hasn't been awful by any means, but he's been very mediocre since the week 5 Denver game.

Gracon has gotten a ton of targets, but not enough TDs, and not enough YPR to really be impactful; another guy who hasn't been terrible by any stretch, but still, not big time production either.

Lacy was a godsend, but then Rodgers gets hurt. Oh, and I picked up Keenan Allen a week before he was really on the radar, so that was a positive move, as was a week 7 trade that included me moving Ray Rice, getting Gronk in return. Let's see, what else? Vernon Davis has had some big games (TE is not mandatory in this league, but we have 2 FLEX), but I haven't been starting him lately (going Gronk/Allen @ FLEX).

Ridley's ball security issues caused me to miss out on his nice little run prior to the Denver game benching. Now he's totally, utterly useless.

I've gotten ONE good DST performance (when Cincy torched the Jets). Other than that? Pretty much nada.

Thus endeth the story of my season.

I started off w/ a bang by taking Ray Rice instead of Shady. I then doubled-down by taking Dez, buying the hype that he'd be the clear #2 fantasy WR behind Megatron, maybe even have a shot at displacing him for #1. Then once Stafford was taken, I took Romo, who hasn't been awful by any means, but he's been very mediocre since the week 5 Denver game.

Gracon has gotten a ton of targets, but not enough TDs, and not enough YPR to really be impactful; another guy who hasn't been terrible by any stretch, but still, not big time production either.

Lacy was a godsend, but then Rodgers gets hurt. Oh, and I picked up Keenan Allen a week before he was really on the radar, so that was a positive move, as was a week 7 trade that included me moving Ray Rice, getting Gronk in return. Let's see, what else? Vernon Davis has had some big games (TE is not mandatory in this league, but we have 2 FLEX), but I haven't been starting him lately (going Gronk/Allen @ FLEX).

Ridley's ball security issues caused me to miss out on his nice little run prior to the Denver game benching. Now he's totally, utterly useless.

I've gotten ONE good DST performance (when Cincy torched the Jets). Other than that? Pretty much nada.

In one of my leagues I have just about every guy you mentioned except I have Shady instead of Rice and I lost 3 games. Big difference in having a RB vs. not, huh?

Everyone I played against was jackhammering the suckpipe while I tried to coach my team. You can't compete against guys who jackhammer the suckpipe.

In one of my leagues I have just about every guy you mentioned except I have Shady instead of Rice and I lost 3 games. Big difference in having a RB vs. not, huh?
Yep. That mistake was likely at least a 4 game swing in my record, especially since I started the season so slow (1-3) due in part to early short term injuries to Rice/Lacy/Vernon. Shady would've been a good anchor. My team has some "solid" performers, but just not enough big time performances to get me wins. I feel silly complaining about Romo/Dez/Garcon especially, but it is what it is.

Yep. That mistake was likely at least a 4 game swing in my record, especially since I started the season so slow (1-3) due in part to early short term injuries to Rice/Lacy/Vernon. Shady would've been a good anchor. My team has some "solid" performers, but just not enough big time performances to get me wins. I feel silly complaining about Romo/Dez/Garcon especially, but it is what it is.
Well, it kind of shows how fantasy leagues have evolved, especially in ppr. Even with a Dez/Romo/Garcon, its not that special anymore because a guy with Keenan Allen/Foles/Josh Gordon looks just as good. But the RB is the difference maker.

I think we (and I was definitely one of the "we") got a little too carried away in that we saw how NFL scoring was going and how it was becoming a scoring league where you can't touch QBs or hit receivers, etc and we chased points. We all started going after the dynamic read option QBs to win games. We all started going after loading up on WRs to get points. And it looked the part. It looked right. And you CAN win that way. But now that its evened out and everyone has a QB (suddenly big ben is very "meh") and EVERYONE has 3 good Wrs (sure, give me that Alshon guy, that rookie Keenan Allen and, oh what the heck, I'll take that old washed up Welker) and now there is no advantage...until you get the small handful of difference making RBs or TEs on your team.

So, in essence, everything old is new again.

EVERYTHING!!!

Went 2-11 in my keeper league, my worst season ever.

Kept:

Stafford

CJ Spiller

McCoy

Harvin

Cobb

Rudolph

Spiller has been injured/disappointing....Harvin/Cobb/Vereen injured most/all of the season...Rudolph well yeah injured when he finely started to turn it on.

I drafted TY Hilton and only played him on his bad weeks which has been just about every week sans 3.

To top off all that I've been hitting the buzzsaw most weeks. I could not figure out my lineup all year and was consistently playing the wrong guys even with decent pick ups like Keenan Allen/Riley Cooper/Pierre Thomas.

We had our draft really early this year like week 2 of the preseason and I had not started preparing.

Oh and this....I traded McCoy for Jordan Cameron and the first game he was in my lineup was week 5...the same week Hoyer got injured. He's barely been startable since then, we have all been holding onto those first 4 games...I'm not even sure if I'm he's worth keeping next year. I wanted to draft him as insurance for Rudolph but waited a little to long. I'm usually not a buy high guy but I really thought the 4 game sample was enough and Cameron was a stud in the Graham/Gronk tier. I should have realized...Graham is on the Saints, Gronk is on the Pats and Cameron, yeah he's on the Browns dip ####.

1) Drafted the wrong RBs and QB in the mid-rounds: D Wilson, Sproles, DRich, Luck.

2) WRs scored a lot of points (Calvin, AJ, DT), but in bunches, so not consistent week to week

3) H2H bad luck -- scored most points, but ended up in the bottom 6/12, narrowly missing the playoffs.

I kept some players I wouldn't have drafted because of perceived value: Kaep for 12th, Sproles for 11th and Wilson for a 5th. Ended up having the lowest QB points in the league. and Dez/Marshal at the first round turn ended up not being as big an advantage in hppr as I thought it would be.

I was a better GM than I was a Head Coach. Built a good strong team; started the wrong guys too often.

Didn't miss the play-offs, but definitely need to work on some things.

Picked/kept the wrong guys (Keep 2 league):

Rd 1 Kept RRice (instead of Jimmy Graham)

Rd 2 Kept CJ Spiller (instead of Jimmy Graham)

Rd 3 Gronk (injured most of year)

Rd 4 Roddy White (injured/worthless most of year)

Rd 5 Cam Newton (ok in this round)

Rd 6 Shane Vereen (injured most of year)

Later Rds... Miles Austin, Vincent Brown, Jermichael Finley

Total disaster. Sometimes it happens, but it always sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread