What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What your team needs vs what your team has acquired - happy? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
As a 49er fan, this is a weird start to the offseason.

DE was a need. Right off the bat they picked up a quality bookend in Floyd. Ok, cool. I’m happy with that.

But they have needs at CB, LB, & OL, and they seem to just keep acquiring DL. it’s getting a little weird.

What about your teams? Need vs what they’ve done so far - how they doin?

Ps - subject to change when FA starts tomorrow at 4 PM ET.

Totally mixed feelings.

Sam Darnold possibly starting for the Vikings makes me feel ill.

I liked the other moves the Vikings have made so far. Added two good defensive players and a quality RB, which I was not expecting. The RB carousel has been a bit of a surprise.

Totally mixed feelings.

I liked the other moves the Vikings have made so far. Added two good defensive players and a quality RB, which I was not expecting. The RB carousel has been a bit of a surprise.
I'm not enamored with Darnold but I'm ok if he ends up as should be just a short term band-aid. Good moves on defense from what I can tell. Hate losing Danielle but he just landed a 2 year big contract MN was not going to match. Happy to get Aaron Jones if only for a year. The whole key will be if they can get one of the top 4 QBs and if that QB pans out.

This overshadows everything else. Just ruined my day
Could be worse. They could have signed JimmyG.
Not sure if that's worse. Probably just as equally bad.
Yeah but JummyG would be twice as expensive.

I have to believe the Vikings are targeting something else. No one goes into a season with confidence in Sam Darnold.

Well, other than the Jets & Panthers. :oldunsure:

This overshadows everything else. Just ruined my day
Could be worse. They could have signed JimmyG.
Not sure if that's worse. Probably just as equally bad.
Yeah but JummyG would be twice as expensive.

I have to believe the Vikings are targeting something else. No one goes into a season with confidence in Sam Darnold.

Well, other than the Jets & Panthers. :oldunsure:
They are targeting a rookie QB as they should be. But likely won't get anything of consequence unless someone later really surprises. Either way, I would rather have done without Darnold.

As a Cowboys fan, all I can do is cry. The Eagles, Commanders and Giants all got better or at least did something.
Now we need a C , LT (or LG), DE, DT, LB, WR and most of all a RB. Any RB at all. No way we can get all that in the draft.
At least we locked up a long snapper.
Is this Jerry going all in ?

As a Cowboys fan, all I can do is cry. The Eagles, Commanders and Giants all got better or at least did something.
Now we need a C , LT (or LG), DE, DT, LB, WR and most of all a RB. Any RB at all. No way we can get all that in the draft.
At least we locked up a long snapper.
Is this Jerry going all in ?
FA starts at 1 PM PT tomorrow. How much room they got?

As a Washington fan I am overall very pleased with our acquisitions. It's nice having a competent GM, something we haven't had in decades. The only signing I don't like is Ekler, but that's mostly because I own Robinson & Rodriguez in almost every FF league, and I felt both were plenty good last year, considering how bad the o-line and play calling was. But for sure, Washington got better after the last 48 hours IMO.

Pretty cool with all the Bears moves except for Swift. Didn't see RB as a big need, and don;t like the player. Kinda wish that they'd waited a bit and signed Aaron Jones (a FAR superior player) for less. Even on the Vikings, Jones will probably still destroy the Bears, its just a thing he does. Would have been fine with Ekeler too, as he got very little money. Really like what they have done in the secondary, extending Johnson and signing Byard.

Wouldn't mind seeing a WR. I would love to add Ridley, and instantly give Caleb (presumably) tons of options (liked Everett as well) but that's probably not realistic. I don't want to be depending on drafting a WR, because I think its no lock any of the top-3 make it to #9, and they don't have a 2nd. I wouldn't mind a cheapish flier on Michael Thomas or Odell Beckham as reclamation projects, but I wouldn't want to commit long-term money or resources to any remaining WRs except for Ridley. Kinda wish they'd have been the Diontae Johnson team.

I'll be very curious what the Chargers do tomorrow, as they likely have to dump 2 of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joey Bosa, and Khalil Mack. My gut says Williams and Bosa are the ones who go. I'd be happy to bring either of them in, especially Bosa.

As a Washington fan I am overall very pleased with our acquisitions. It's nice having a competent GM, something we haven't had in decades. The only signing I don't like is Ekler, but that's mostly because I own Robinson & Rodriguez in almost every FF league, and I felt both were plenty good last year, considering how bad the o-line and play calling was. But for sure, Washington got better after the last 48 hours IMO.
With multiple S signings, I’m assuming Curl is going to take his talents elsewhere?

That would be a bummer for WAS.

Texans - Nick went from losing solid defenders Greenard and Cashman one day to Azeez and Hunter as upgrades the next. Needed to plug a few holes and I like the numbers (Mixon/Okudah) and years (Hunter/Azeez/Autry) so we set up to pay CJ when ready.

Outstanding needs still shopping : S, WR, CB, DT, one more RB.

Best guess at first round pick : WR or DT depending upon if one or both are addressed in FA

What I’d like to see : Safety first. DT feels like it should be second. Ideally a WR to wrap things up, but I suspect that’s R1. Sneaky pick would be to get Dobbins on a “prove it” deal.

Steelers getting Wilson for cheap was incredible. Pickett and Wilson will combine for about $5m, which is low end backup QB money.

That kind of situation enabled them to address massive need with Patrick Queen who they are basically paying $13.5M a year, on a year to year deal.

So basically got a potential starting QB and second team All-Pro ILB which they've struggled to really replace since they lost Shazier for about $15M this year and no further commitments. Incredbile! That's A+++++ stuff.

The Diontae trade drags things down a little until/if I see their plan. Really almost gave him away and the relationship was bad but they are down to Pickens and Calvin Austin at WR. That won't do. Draft is deep but they might be looking at some strong OT, CB or C options in round one that will be hard to pass, hope they got a WR plan.

Rebuilds stink
I don't like it and it stinks that the sport has convinced us we have to accept this so many years as normal.
Sooo it's just whatever, be patient, and hope for 2025 and Levis to develop

Rebuilds stink
I don't like it and it stinks that the sport has convinced us we have to accept this so many years as normal.
Sooo it's just whatever, be patient, and hope for 2025 and Levis to develop
I get that.
But still, these signings all seem positive to me. Pollard isn’t Henry but that’s a nice duo with spears. Cushenberry should help Levis develop. Murray and Awuzie feel like shopping at dollar general.
But yeah, the Titans are at least a year or two away from really competing, and seeing Houston in a really nice position isn’t great.
C+, maybe a B overall so far.

Seahawks filled a huge need re-signing L.Williams at DT and after seeing a good chunk of their TE's leave via FA, resigned Fant and added F.Brown, but that's it so far.

Still have some big needs:

LB - Lost everyone so far and not signed anyone. Maybe a Wagner return, but that seems unlikely. Probrably biggest need besides OL at this point.
OL - Lost Lewis at OG and don't have a C with major experience on the roster, so need at least 1 starting OG and a starting C.
QB - Geno is the only one on the roster, so need a decent backup now that Lock went elsewhere.

Other than that I can see them standing firm mostly. Not sure if they are going full rebuild or trying to patch holes at this point given they have whole new Off and Def systems. If its a rebuild and not a great year that is totally understandable.

**EDIT - Since I posted this they have signed C Nick Harris from the Browns, so just a starter at LG is needed now**

Last edited:
With multiple S signings, I’m assuming Curl is going to take his talents elsewhere?

That would be a bummer for WAS.

He can go. He’s a nice story as a late round pick hitting but he’s also way overplayed his hand as a guy that doesn’t suck but doesn’t make big plays either. Far too many free agent safeties available to worry about him. And the more of these Snyder era losers that are gone, the better.

Pretty cool with all the Bears moves except for Swift. Didn't see RB as a big need, and don;t like the player. Kinda wish that they'd waited a bit and signed Aaron Jones (a FAR superior player) for less. Even on the Vikings, Jones will probably still destroy the Bears, its just a thing he does. Would have been fine with Ekeler too, as he got very little money. Really like what they have done in the secondary, extending Johnson and signing Byard.

Wouldn't mind seeing a WR. I would love to add Ridley, and instantly give Caleb (presumably) tons of options (liked Everett as well) but that's probably not realistic. I don't want to be depending on drafting a WR, because I think its no lock any of the top-3 make it to #9, and they don't have a 2nd. I wouldn't mind a cheapish flier on Michael Thomas or Odell Beckham as reclamation projects, but I wouldn't want to commit long-term money or resources to any remaining WRs except for Ridley. Kinda wish they'd have been the Diontae Johnson team.

I'll be very curious what the Chargers do tomorrow, as they likely have to dump 2 of Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joey Bosa, and Khalil Mack. My gut says Williams and Bosa are the ones who go. I'd be happy to bring either of them in, especially Bosa.
I'd give the Bears a C- right now.

They had 4 major holes in the starting lineup (Center, Edge, WR2, Safety) and only adequately addressed 1 so far. Byard should be a decent upgrade.

RB and TE2 upgrades were needed and I'm happy with those two.

Still room to add a WR2/3 in FA, but since they failed to address several other needs, I think they will trade back from 9 missing out on one of the elite WRs.

Browns -- Some time ago, I said I'd be happy if everyone got healthy & they just ran it back, same as last year. They traded late picks for Jeudy. Here's hoping he fulfills his promise. So far, I agree with Steve Smith's evaluation. Added Jameis as backup QB and Hines as KR / backup RB. A lot of local fans wanted Flacco back. I'll go with JW. Hope everybody is healthy week one!

They had 4 major holes in the starting lineup (Center, Edge, WR2, Safety) and only adequately addressed 1 so far. Byard should be a decent upgrade.

Still room to add a WR2/3 in FA, but since they failed to address several other needs, I think they will trade back from 9 missing out on one of the elite WRs.
C- is generous.

Not addressing OC in free agency given how poorly that position was manned last season doesn't bode well. JPJ is gone in the late 1st most likely, Barton and Frazier grade into the 2nd round and Barton is likely more of a Guard anyway. Van Pran is our most likely option in the 3rd and I'm not sure we want a not quite ready for prime time OC anchoring the OL anyway. This reluctance to spend on the OL in free agency is the most frustrating thing about Poles, IMO.

WR is a position of great need as well. The Bears only have DJ Moore and Tyler Scott on contract right now. One can hope for either Hollywood Brown or Riley signing or a cheap trade for Mike Williams or Keenan Allen, but I'm not convinced either of those scenarios will play out. What I see happening is drafting a WR at 9 and then signing the usual suspects of ESB and other low tier journeymen.

hope they got a WR plan.
I wouldn’t at all be shocked by Tyler Boyd. Seems like a great fit. They might add a 2nd as well. Quite a few good receivers available tomorrow at 1 PT.

They didn’t get enough for Dionte, IMO.

They just wanted Johnson out of the locker room and his bonus off the books, this trade made that crystal clear if nothing else. They're going a different way on offense (that I don't personally have a ton of hope for), and are likely trying to remove as much friction as they can. They've taken less in trade before when dealing off "problem" wide receivers too, so I wasn't thaaaat shocked. Plus, he was almost assuredly going to hold out for a bigger contract this summer.

They've also went out of their way to accommodate dudes who don't want to be there before (I'm recalling Tomlin's whole "We want players, not hostages" quote from a few years ago, etc.). Assuming they took a little less than they could've had here to just get their ducks in a row, have a bigger chunk of bonus money available, and move on to finding a replacement that wants to be on the team.

As to their "WR plan", if there is one position that I am not going to worry about the Steelers being able to figure out in a short window, it's wide receiver. They've been churning out productive ones (even in less than productive pass offenses) for, what, 20 years now? They'll bring in a vet at some point. They'll draft at least one, if not a couple. Chances are pretty high they've got an outline they're following and they'll be just fine.

Hell, in Artie's "dinosaur ball" offense they may just throw a 3rd/4th TE out there to block. "WR" in name only. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Ravens so far:

Added: RB Derrick Henry

Resigned: DT Justin Madubike, WR Nelson Agholor

Lost: LB Patrick Queen, S Geno Stone, RB Gus Edwards, G John Simpson, CB Ronald Darby, a couple of core STers

Probable Key Losses still to come: RB JK Dobbins, WR OBJ, G Kevin Zeitler, LB Kyle Van Noy, DE Jadaveon Clowney.

Baltimore rarely goes big early in FA, so they'll keep picking away.

The OL (both starting Gs and maybe a starting T likely to be gone) and Rush LB/EDGE are the biggest needs. They did draft a really good G last year who redshirted his rookie season (blanking on the name - Stanford grad, maybe?). Both starting Ts are older. Rush guys: I could see Clowney maybe coming back, though he had a fantastic year and may be too pricey. I think Van Noy, who was also really good in 2023, is gone.

Losing Queen hurts, but I think everyone knew they wouldn't be able to resign him. They drafted a kid (Trenton Simpson) out of Clemson (I think) who they'll expect to play alongside Roquan Smith. Stone was on the cut line every year and picked a great time to have one hell of a season.

They had the largest group at Oregon's pro day means...what to you? It's hard to read those tea leaves

Lions
  • resigned IOL Graham Glasgow for 3 yrs/$20M - PFF 6th best G (of 54 qualifiers), can also play C
  • took a one year prove it flyer on Marcus Davenport (hopefully will sign & draft 1-2 more DL)
  • sent pick 92 to TB for CB Carlton Davis - good man corner (scheme fit) who has had trouble staying on the field
  • signed CB Amik Robertson 2 yrs/9.25M - another good outside man corner
  • resigned CB Emmanuel Moseley - forgot the details but pretty team friendly
  • bringing in DT DJ Reader for a visit; also pursuing Aril Armstead. Hoping one of those closes by COB Thursday.
GM Brad Holmes prefers to avoid long term or expensive FA deals; the philosophy is to sign guys to cover needs, then you’re freed up to draft for talent. Emphasis on resigning core players. Because they’re doing a great job managing the cap they’ll be able to extend Goff, ARSB, Alim McNeil, Penei Sewell, et al.

Hard to doubt a guy who crushes his job every year. Let him cook.

Last edited:

Bears got Jonathan Owens, who brings Simone Biles along with him ... which is nice.

Reality is he was had the second most special team snaps and also ended up playing more snaps from scrimmage at safety than any other Packer last year (by far) and I thought he was pretty good. He likes to hit people, which is rare these days. Not happy to see him leave Green Bay although I think I might be on an island on that one.

They had the largest group at Oregon's pro day means...what to you? It's hard to read those tea leaves
There are possibly 6 Oregon guys going in the top-100.

Bo Nix (doubt it'd be him)
Bucky Irving (probably not after Swift signing)
Troy Franklin (possible trade down target)
Jackson Powers-Johnson (he's gonna go higher than I think he's projected right now, but 9 is unlikely, I think he goes in the teens somewhere though)
Brandon Dorius (DT could be a 3rd round target)
Khyree Jackson (Long CB could be a 3rd round target)

Bears got Jonathan Owens, who brings Simone Biles along with him ... which is nice.

Reality is he was had the second most special team snaps and also ended up playing more snaps from scrimmage at safety than any other Packer last year (by far) and I thought he was pretty good. He likes to hit people, which is rare these days. Not happy to see him leave Green Bay although I think I might be on an island on that one.
Owens seems like a solid enough 3rd Safety/Special teamer which is what he'll be in Chicago.

Reactions: Bri
Chiefs get a B so far.

Signed Chris Jones
Signed Drue Tranquill
Signed Irv Smith Jr.
Signed Mike Pennel

Could use another receiver and some offensive line help. And LaJarius Sneed is still unresolved. Would be fine if they kept him and the defense then is mostly intact from last year. But the Chiefs have good corner depth already and are really good about drafting them.

Chiefs get a B so far.

Signed Chris Jones
Signed Drue Tranquill
Signed Irv Smith Jr.
Signed Mike Pennel

Could use another receiver and some offensive line help. And LaJarius Sneed is still unresolved. Would be fine if they kept him and the defense then is mostly intact from last year. But the Chiefs have good corner depth already and are really good about drafting them.
Hunter Renfrow to be released.

Chiefs have seen a lot of him - still only 28, reliable chain mover, smart football player. Seems like an easy call to bring him in for vet minimum.

I'm pretty happy with what the Broncos are doing. Local media is calling it the "Payton Purge."

Out with the old and overpaid, in with the new, ascending and moderately paid.

This year's teardown portion has largely been completed.

They've only just begun the rebuilding portion, but have gone from salary cap hell after dumping Wilson to currently 5th most cap space available so should be able to do well with the second wave of FA's.

If you're going to do a re-build, don't ***** around. Do it right. Results TBD but a good approach so far

Fairly happy with what the 49ers have done.

2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 LB in FA and signed a few in house players.

No splash signings but they're bringing in durable guys. They still need a CB and I think they'll address the OL in the draft. Another LB would be cool but if/when Greenlaw comes back, a LB trio of him, Warner and Kendricks looks really nice.

Fairly happy with what the 49ers have done.

2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 LB in FA and signed a few in house players.

No splash signings but they're bringing in durable guys. They still need a CB and I think they'll address the OL in the draft. Another LB would be cool but if/when Greenlaw comes back, a LB trio of him, Warner and Kendricks looks really nice.
I agree. Juice was a key signing - he's a total team guy, and extremely versatile piece who can block, and is an above average receiver for a FB. Jennings was a key signing as well - underrated WR, who can provide a legit WR compliment to Aiyuk, since Deebo is more of a "wideback" than receiver.

I'd like to see them nab a LB, and CB, but both should be plentiful in the draft. Early picks should be OL. They also re-signed Colton McKivitz, who's kinda meh, but knows the system. Not thrilled with that one, but I get it.

B+ so far.

Steelers getting Wilson for cheap was incredible. Pickett and Wilson will combine for about $5m, which is low end backup QB money.

That kind of situation enabled them to address massive need with Patrick Queen who they are basically paying $13.5M a year, on a year to year deal.

So basically got a potential starting QB and second team All-Pro ILB which they've struggled to really replace since they lost Shazier for about $15M this year and no further commitments. Incredbile! That's A+++++ stuff.

The Diontae trade drags things down a little until/if I see their plan. Really almost gave him away and the relationship was bad but they are down to Pickens and Calvin Austin at WR. That won't do. Draft is deep but they might be looking at some strong OT, CB or C options in round one that will be hard to pass, hope they got a WR plan.
If RW has a good year, will they be able to resign him at $30 mil?

Lions
  • resigned IOL Graham Glasgow for 3 yrs/$20M - PFF 6th best G (of 54 qualifiers), can also play C
  • took a one year prove it flyer on Marcus Davenport (hopefully will sign & draft 1-2 more DL)
  • sent pick 92 to TB for CB Carlton Davis - good man corner (scheme fit) who has had trouble staying on the field
  • signed CB Amik Robertson 2 yrs/9.25M - another good outside man corner
  • resigned CB Emmanuel Moseley - forgot the details but pretty team friendly
  • bringing in DT DJ Reader for a visit; also pursuing Aril Armstead. Hoping one of those closes by COB Thursday.
GM Brad Holmes prefers to avoid long term or expensive FA deals; the philosophy is to sign guys to cover needs, then you’re freed up to draft for talent. Emphasis on resigning core players. Because they’re doing a great job managing the cap they’ll be able to extend Goff, ARSB, Alim McNeil, Penei Sewell, et al.

Hard to doubt a guy who crushes his job every year. Let him cook.

DJ Reader had himself a nice day. Passed his medicals (rehabbing torn quad), signed a two-year deal worth “up to” $27.25 million with "over" $9 million guaranteed, and then crushed his introductory presser.

People like to poke fun at Detroit’s folksy Ted Lasso style but it’s a real thing. They are staying true to the culture they’ve built. I went through Reader’s Twitter account today & he was rooting for the Lions in the playoffs.

As one beat writer put it:

Wildly impressed with DJ Reader at his opening press conference. Thorough and honest answers, 100% engaged, extremely knowledgeable about the team he was joining and spoke at length about his new teammates and coaches.

Maturity and leadership on full display.

The Lions have two studs on the DL (Hutch & McNeil) and several young guys (Onwuzurike, Houston, Paschal, Martin) at various stages of development. DJ said he can’t wait to get in their ear, figure out where they’re at, and help them grow.

Also said the energy and environment in the building is amazing, authentic and contagious. For 64 years the team I rooted for was THE laughing stock of the league. Going into Year 4 of Sheila, Brad & Dan, this is now a franchise players want to come to so they can be a part of what they have built.

Day 4 of 2024 Free Agency was a good day for the NFC North champs.

Last edited:
I am optimistically meh. I think the Ridley and Chushenberry signings are both good long term deals. Its probably salt since I had Pollard in fantasy last year but I hope he rebounds but I worry that maybe that injury took more out of him than we thought. AFC is clearly an arms race so I don't think we are really focusing on defense wich ok?

Users who are viewing this thread