What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - How do you prefer your steak to be cooked? (3 Viewers)

How do you prefer your steak to be cooked?

• Rare (Deep red, cool center)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Medium Rare (Warm red center w/ pink edges)

Votes: 102 58.6%
  • Medium (Warm, pink center)

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Medium Well (Hot, slightly pink center)

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Well Done (Hot, grey center)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Medium Rare (on the Rare side). <- that's exactly how I'll order it in a restaurant.

Oh, and in before the "I'm a vegan/vegetarian" and "Eating beef is cruel/bad for the environment" crowd. :rolleyes:

Medium Rare (on the Rare side). <- that's exactly how I'll order it in a restaurant.

Oh, and in before the "I'm a vegan/vegetarian" and "Eating beef is cruel/bad for the environment" crowd. :rolleyes:
I do that too. I've tried to say '130 degrees' but that usually doesn't go over well.

I do that too. I've tried to say '130 degrees' but that usually doesn't go over well.
I'm in the 130 degree club as well, but I've found ordering a steak MR in most restaurants results in something a little closer to medium, because most kitchens/cooks are afraid of a customer sending one back for being "too red".

Medium rare. I am fine with medium for the most part, but if I'm grilling it will be medium rare.

I consider one of the biggest accomplishments of my life the fact that my wife and adult daughter now also prefer their steaks medium rare. It took years of grilling their steaks to medium (and beyond) and then letting them sample my medium rare steak for this change to occur.

Somewhere between rare and medium rare. Unless I'm at a very high quality steakhouse or restaurant, I'll usually go with the latter.

When I cook my steaks though I start off with a low oven temp to warm the steak throughout and increasing the internal temperature so I can just sear each side thereafter at the highest heat I can get my grill. This allows for a more healthy rare cook and is ultimately how I prefer my steak but, in the spirit of the poll, more often than not my order will be medium rare so I went with that.

Also I voted medium rare because of societal/marital pressure to not be eating a steak with red liquid dripping off my chin. But my vote would really be rare.

There is no ”plus” in the restaurant world. Chefs HATE this. While it makes sense intellectually, the guy on the grill ain’t got time for that nonsense. Just order your steak on the low end of your plus designation. You’ll more than likely get it the way you want because most places over cook them anyway.

There is no ”plus” in the restaurant world. Chefs HATE this. While it makes sense intellectually, the guy on the grill ain’t got time for that nonsense. Just order your steak on the low end of your plus designation. You’ll more than likely get it the way you want because most places over cook them anyway.

I've never even heard of this. What does it mean when you say plus? Like in between two levels of doneness? I would agree that would be terrible for line cooks. I grill a lot of meat and it would be tough hitting that sweet spot consistently. Just make a decision from the options provided.

I consider one of the biggest accomplishments of my life the fact that my wife and adult daughter now also prefer their steaks medium rare. It took years of grilling their steaks to medium (and beyond) and then letting them sample my medium rare steak for this change to occur.

Yep - managed to do the same with my wife and it was shocking as she's notoriously stubborn.

I've never even heard of this. What does it mean when you say plus? Like in between two levels of doneness? I would agree that would be terrible for line cooks. I grill a lot of meat and it would be tough hitting that sweet spot consistently. Just make a decision from the options provided.
additionally, the time between window to table varies which will increase carry-over.

If anyone votes for well done, they must identify themselves!

My mother did. Her one big personality flaw.

my father thinks he likes it MR-medium. he really likes it mid-well. This is really fun every time he orders steak when we go out.

I believe for birthday or father's day several years back I gave him a temp chart :lmao:

When grilling, medium rare. Heating in the oven first makes sense imo.

I honestly haven’t ordered a steak in a restaurant in years. Ever since we started ordering 1/4 or 1/2 cow for the house I haven’t felt need and prefer other dinners out. (Cheaper too)

I have some fiends from the generation before me (they are 62 and up) who eat steak well done, but they eat it everything well done. I think it was the way they were raised.
No accounting for taste. She loved it that way. My dad liked it mooing. Like purple and cool in the middle.

I have some fiends from the generation before me (they are 62 and up) who eat steak well done, but they eat it everything well done. I think it was the way they were raised.
No accounting for taste. She loved it that way. My dad liked it mooing. Like purple and cool in the middle.
I like mine medium and maybe even favoring a little more red than pink but if I had to choose between purple/cool middle or well done, I have to go well done.

Buddy of mine while we were in college tried to order his steak “black and blue”. He got sick when he felt the cool middle of the steak.

That’s exactly what it is

I used to order rare at good steakhouses but now go with medium rare in all situations. No problem if it comes out medium.

my father thinks he likes it MR-medium. he really likes it mid-well. This is really fun every time he orders steak when we go out.

I believe for birthday or father's day several years back I gave him a temp chart :lmao:
:doh:

my brother is in town... looks like we are going to Left Bank tonight, so high probability that he'll order a steak frites- which brings a high probability that it will be sent back .

no one knows how to cook :lol:

This was my mom as well. My stepdad almost didn't call her back after their second date to a steak house. He ordered his medium rare, and she ordered well done, with a side of ketchup, heinz 57 and A1 sauce which she mixed up into her own steak sauce.

Thankfully he looked past this to stick around and teach me the proper temp to eat a steak.

The "reverse sear" method that @Zow referred to is my preferred method as well, particularly for Steaks 1.5" or thicker.

Anything thinner, a quick sear in the cast iron pan followed by a 10-15 minute "rest" under a foil tent is good enough for me.

130°-135° is the target internal temp for medium rare. Your steak will continue to cook after you pull it and rise another 5° or so. I haven't used a meat thermometer in the past but it's probably a good investment if you are grilling a lot of meat.

I like to dry brine my steak in the fridge overnight to remove excess moisture. It really helps get a good sear. Mmmm steak 🥩

Somewhere between rare and medium rare. Unless I'm at a very high quality steakhouse or restaurant, I'll usually go with the latter.

When I cook my steaks though I start off with a low oven temp to warm the steak throughout and increasing the internal temperature so I can just sear each side thereafter at the highest heat I can get my grill. This allows for a more healthy rare cook and is ultimately how I prefer my steak but, in the spirit of the poll, more often than not my order will be medium rare so I went with that.

If I go to a higher end steak place like Texas Roadhouse, I go medium rare.

At home I let steaks sit at room temp for an hour before grilling. In fact I let all chicken sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.

I will try the low heat oven method though.

At home I let steaks sit at room temp for an hour before grilling. In fact I let all chicken sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.

And we're off....

And we're off....

LOL..

Users who are viewing this thread