What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - How do you prefer your steak to be cooked? (1 Viewer)

How do you prefer your steak to be cooked?

• Rare (Deep red, cool center)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Medium Rare (Warm red center w/ pink edges)

Votes: 102 58.6%
  • Medium (Warm, pink center)

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Medium Well (Hot, slightly pink center)

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Well Done (Hot, grey center)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
If anyone votes for well done, they must identify themselves!

My mother did. Her one big personality flaw.

my father thinks he likes it MR-medium. he really likes it mid-well. This is really fun every time he orders steak when we go out.

I believe for birthday or father's day several years back I gave him a temp chart :lmao:
:doh:

my brother is in town... looks like we are going to Left Bank tonight, so high probability that he'll order a steak frites- which brings a high probability that it will be sent back .

no one knows how to cook :lol:
Much like the “tip is included“ should be said, repeating the kitchen‘s version of a steak temp should be verbalized. So when uncle Rico from BFE ruralsville orders his steak MR and hears “a dark red, warm center”. He has the opportunity to say, “that’s not MR, I just want it pink in the middle”. MW it is. The key is not to tell him he’s getting MW. It will just piss him off. Everyone’s version of steak temps is different. I know you know this! 😂😂😂

Somewhere between rare and medium rare. Unless I'm at a very high quality steakhouse or restaurant, I'll usually go with the latter.

When I cook my steaks though I start off with a low oven temp to warm the steak throughout and increasing the internal temperature so I can just sear each side thereafter at the highest heat I can get my grill. This allows for a more healthy rare cook and is ultimately how I prefer my steak but, in the spirit of the poll, more often than not my order will be medium rare so I went with that.

If I go to a higher end steak place like Texas Roadhouse, I go medium rare.

At home I let steaks sit at room temp for an hour before grilling. In fact I let all chicken sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.

I will try the low heat oven method though.
And we're off....

LOL..
I thought the same thing as ginamarco GB :lol:

That said, I've been to a bunch of "fancy/famous" steakhouses in my life. It's one of my FIL's favorite things to do so we do them on his birthday and I've requested a few on mine. I've been to ONE where I wasn't left "meh" or flat out disappointed. Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa is the ****. They have tours of the place and will take you through their kitchen, prep areas, MASSIVE wine warehouse etc.

I don't typically care how people eat their steak....whatever floats your boat. I get a little crazy when I see people order filet ($5-10 more than sirloin) at a hibachi place though. Might as well be throwing your money in the trash can. :lmao:

I don't typically care how people eat their steak....whatever floats your boat. I get a little crazy when I see people order filet ($5-10 more than sirloin) at a hibachi place though. Might as well be throwing your money in the trash can. :lmao:
I agree totally. I am fine with eat your meat however you want but when it comes to filet, it is confusing.

I agree totally. I am fine with eat your meat however you want but when it comes to filet, it is confusing.
I just stay away from filets in general.

I prefer filets. :shrug: Prefer a cut that is not as chewy.

I just stay away from filets in general
Why?

I prefer filets. :shrug: Prefer a cut that is not as chewy.
My wife does too more because they don't have much fat. I can't handle chewy steak either, but that's all in how you cook them IMO. Even the more budget cuts like sirloin can be melt in your mouth.

Damn it!!!! Gonna have to do steaks this weekend :lmao:

Why?
I just don't think they have as much flavor as other cuts.

I've been to "fancy" places that weren't as good.
Not me.

Don't get me wrong, I think those chain steakhouses are usually pretty great at what they do. And the fancy places are overpriced.

But the steak isn't even close
Yeah...I've been to some stinkers in my time. I don't think I've ever been to any of the "fancier" chains now that I think about it. Mortons, Ruth's Chris etc....

Yeah...I've been to some stinkers in my time. I don't think I've ever been to any of the "fancier" chains now that I think about it. Mortons, Ruth's Chris etc....
There's been a new wave last two decades of top steakhouses in NYC, added to the great ones already here. They are pricy, but few places are consistently as fun as a busy bar at a nice steakhouse.

my father thinks he likes it MR-medium. he really likes it mid-well. This is really fun every time he orders steak when we go out.

I believe for birthday or father's day several years back I gave him a temp chart :lmao:
My brother and I were able to convince dad to order it medium.

It was ok. Still too red 🤣

Med rare and love a good char.

I prefer straight grilling over sous vide for steaks, I get a wayyyyyyyyy better/tastier sear.

I pull my steaks between 115° and 118° at let em rest for about 10 min. Perfect every time.

Why?
Really??

Why?
I get that, due to less fat, but a well marbled, well seasoned, and properly grilled filet is *almost* hard to beat.

I'd take a bone in ribeye over almost any steak, but filet is my #2.

Medium rare and then lamenting I didn't order medium at a place where they cook it perfectly to order.

I still will go medium rare, though. It's habit.

Why?
I get that, due to less fat, but a well marbled, well seasoned, and properly grilled filet is *almost* hard to beat.

I do not like fat in my steak so for me it was filet or nothing. It's the only cut of cow that I ever felt was worth the cost.

Last edited:
I do not like fat in my steak so for me it was filet or nothing. It's the only cut of cow that I ever felt was worth the cost.

Oh my, I swear I'm not contrarian tonight but I almost typed out (I'm not kidding)

AND DON'T CUT THE FAT OFF MY STEAK. YOU HEAR ME HERE BACK IN THE KITCHEN?

lol.

Oh my, I swear I'm not contrarian tonight but I almost typed out (I'm not kidding)

AND DON'T CUT THE FAT OFF MY STEAK. YOU HEAR ME HERE BACK IN THE KITCHEN?

lol.
Oh I know people love it but every time I've ordered a NY Strip or Ribeye, I've taken one bit and been like "this is not what I like". That said, a skirt/flank steak is my favorite after a filet. Now, you need to make tacos or do something with it but that **** is bomb.

My brother and I were able to convince dad to order it medium.

It was ok. Still too red 🤣
He probably really enjoyed it but will never give you guys the satisfaction.

:dad shtick rules:

:headbang:

Oh I know people love it but every time I've ordered a NY Strip or Ribeye, I've taken one bit and been like "this is not what I like". That said, a skirt/flank steak is my favorite after a filet. Now, you need to make tacos or do something with it but that **** is bomb.

Still pescetarian? That's the way to go. Just make sure the mercury doesn't go to your brain.

Still pescetarian? That's the way to go. Just make sure the mercury doesn't go to your brain.
Something has got to my brain but it might just be the years. Yeah, I am not eating meat. My fish intake isn't too high either. I am eating a lot of beans and protein shakes/bars that are whey based. My is also pretty dynamite at frying up tofu to give it some level of interest. It's a little over a year now that I've made this change and I have no regrets. My blood pressure has dropped significantly too. Like from an area of serious concern to normal. I guess this maybe had a small role? I really don't know.

Why?
Really??
Yup...that's not to say I won't eat one, but I'm not going to a restaurant in search of one. I'll take a Picanha cut over it any day along with ribeyes and strips.

Why?

Bone in filet! Had one in the summer. (y)

Maaan, I rarely order steak at a restaurant anymore but I did it last night. Maybe this thread prompted me? Had a wonderfully medium rare charred carne asada (flank) served with cheese enchiladas in a red chile gravy on top of the steak with some wonderful charro beans and rice on the side. Happy, happy, Ron.

Maaan, I rarely order steak at a restaurant anymore but I did it last night. Maybe this thread prompted me? Had a wonderfully medium rare charred carne asada (flank) served with cheese enchiladas in a red chile gravy on top of the steak with some wonderful charro beans and rice on the side. Happy, happy, Ron.
where was this....flat iron and/or carne asada are two of my favorite "cheap" cuts.

If I go to a higher end steak place like Texas Roadhouse, I go medium rare.
You serious, Clark?

No, but my daughters love it there. For the kids their age it is affordable.

I went there with them a few weeks ago and it was not Ruth Chris but not bad either.
Went there again a few weeks ago with the kid and grandkids. Was perfectly fine, 98$ for 4 adults , 2 kids. I was surprised

where was this....flat iron and/or carne asada are two of my favorite "cheap" cuts.
Alpine, TX. A little restaurant called Reata.

Medium Rare (on the Rare side). <- that's exactly how I'll order it in a restaurant.

Oh, and in before the "I'm a vegan/vegetarian" and "Eating beef is cruel/bad for the environment" crowd. :rolleyes:
I do that too. I've tried to say '130 degrees' but that usually doesn't go over well.
I'm in the 130 degree club as well, but I've found ordering a steak MR in most restaurants results in something a little closer to medium, because most kitchens/cooks are afraid of a customer sending one back for being "too red".
I have actually found this to be the opposite. Medium rare is usually on the rare side.

I prefer medium but on the rare side of medium. Basically between the classic med-rare and medium

Alpine, TX. A little restaurant called Reata.
crap....thought you were here local :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread