What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Paper, Plastic or Reusable? (1 Viewer)

When given the choice, do you usually use paper, plastic or reusable bags at the grocery store?

• Paper

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • Plastic

Votes: 67 50.0%
  • Reusable

Votes: 47 35.1%

• Total voters
Reusable, although it is doing practically nothing to help.

Everything in the store still comes in plastic anyways.

Using reusable bags might drop my plastic consumption by 1%.

Last edited:
No more plastic allowed in NYS, so go with reusable (when I remember to bring some with me) or paper if I have to stop somewhere and don't have a reusable with me.

It's all technically reusable for me. If I get plastic, I reuse them for small trash cans and cleaning litter boxes - things I'd be using plastic bags for otherwise anyway. If I get paper, I reuse them for packing - something I use packing paper for otherwise anyway. So I don't really have a preference between those.

I'm not particularly good at having reusable bags on me when I need them (and I won't purchase another one at the register) so I'll just take what they give me or a lot of times here in NY I end up going without bags altogether and I just load things into my car from the cart.

I'm sure you all know this but the plastic bags are also recyclable. Our local grocery store takes them and all kinds of plastic packaging bags.

When needed I ask for plastic, but
I haven’t needed to get bags from the store for several years now. I just bring my own reusable bags with me when I shop

My town just passed an ordinance of some sort that is going to ban plastics bags in April 2024. I may be changing my vote next year.

Do most of our grocery shopping at Aldi’s - so usually boxes

At Kroger it’s usually plastic, which I then use for picking up 🙂 while walking the dog.

I no longer get a choice (no plastic or paper bags in NJ anymore) - but would pick paper (which I'd use to fill up with other paper recyclables).
Yeah, which is stupid because I have probably 300 "reusable" bags from various delivery services and other shopping needs. I throw them out every couple weeks.....

Mix of plastic and paper. Boxy items go in paper since it holds the shape nicely and I use them for recycleables at home. Other stuff (meats, chips, other things that don't come in boxes) in plastic which I then re-use for diapers (Lord help me we have another coming).

ETA: or whatever the Shipt shopper decides to put them in since we get most of our groceries delivered these days.

I no longer get a choice (no plastic or paper bags in NJ anymore) - but would pick paper (which I'd use to fill up with other paper recyclables).
Yeah, which is stupid because I have probably 300 "reusable" bags from various delivery services and other shopping needs. I throw them out every couple weeks.....
I bought a nice three pack from Amazon that’s really solid and has held up well. I don’t have anything delivered in them, but I’ve seen those cheap ones and I’m sure they’re filling up landfills as you imply.

Mix of plastic and paper. Boxy items go in paper since it holds the shape nicely and I use them for recycleables at home. Other stuff (meats, chips, other things that don't come in boxes) in plastic which I then re-use for diapers (Lord help me we have another coming).

ETA: or whatever the Shipt shopper decides to put them in since we get most of our groceries delivered these days.
Plastic bags don't seem very absorbent as diapers. Probably gives the poor kid massive diaper rash too. 🙁

Been using reusable bags for 12+ years. I even use reusable produce bags (they’re mesh). I carry one with me when I travel. Bottles and such I just leave out of bags all together. I have a sort of boxy bag in the trunk from Sprouts (think hard sided bag) that I just throw that stuff into.

I live in NJ so I no longer have a choice. The state banned plastic AND paper bags from most stores last year. So reusable it is.
Whenever I drive around the turnpike in Elizabeth through the earth's space heater I always look in back seat to make sure I have my reusable bags to do my part.

Put that baby carrier to good use.

We haven't been allowed plastic here in years. Then the pandemic came and we weren't allowed to do reusable. Started using paper and never really went back to the reusable, but should.

NYS banned plastic bags and I get it but hate it. I always pay the $0.06 for paper bags because I always forget them from the house or car.

Reusable for cold products.
Paper for other items. We usually go to Central Market which has nice paper bags with handles (then we throw in recycling bin).
Hate the plastic bags which the bagger only throws 2 or 3 items in each bag.

Even beyond the super easy, barely an inconvenience way to help the environment, I like that reusable bags can carry way more stuff. I have large reusable bags and can probably fit 12 plastic bags worth of stuff into just those 2 bags.

Even beyond the super easy, barely an inconvenience way to help the environment, I like that reusable bags can carry way more stuff. I have large reusable bags and can probably fit 12 plastic bags worth of stuff into just those 2 bags.
💪

I live in NJ. I have reusable bags in my car, and much like my mask during a lot of COVID, I forget them 99% of the time when I walk into the store. Unlike my mask during COVID, I usually don't go back to the car for my bags when I remember. I just keep piling crap in my cart, and then pile it back in after I pay. I basically go bag-less at this point. Fortunately I only have to carry stuff about 10' from my garage to my pantry.

I bring reusable bags with me to the store to do the weekly shopping. There are occasions when I stop for a couple things without my bags and I just get the plastic ones. The grocery store tells me every time I use the reusables they enter me in a drawing to win stuff. I haven't won sh!t yet, so I have no evidence there actually is a drawing.

Bring usable 95% of the time or will grab paper ones if need them for my own recycling at home. Plastic has been outlawed in Oregon and we have to pay $.05 per paper bag. Obviously encourages the use of your own reusable bags.

Users who are viewing this thread