What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's something you learned later in life that you wished you knew when you were younger? (1 Viewer)

Investing, no doubt.
Yes - this will likely be on most people's list. In my twenties I spent basically everything I made going out drinking, out to eat, going to concerts etc. It's so easy to build up a nice nest egg if you're smart about it. I'm still not doing all I should/could but getting better.

Pissing money away on expensive vehicles.

My wife and I both came from lower income families.  When I was growing up we never had a new car.   So after we got out of college and both started making good money we wanted nice vehicles. I was driving a brand Limited Explorer, wife was driving a BMW, we bought a new Corvette a couple years later as a third vehicle. 

A month after we bought the Corvette my wife got pregnant with our first daughter so we hardly ever drove the car but kept it around because it looked good in the garage.  Sold in 10 years later with 35K miles on it.  All in all with what we were paying for vehicles and insurance we wasted a ton of cash on vehicles in our 20s.  When I got a promotion I was able to get program vehicles. I could not believe how much money we started saving after that.

I tell my kids now get the best vehicle you can for the least amount of money.

Second thing was if you are doing home improvements don`t go half assed to save a few dollars. You will regret it later.  My wife and I would go out to dinned and blow money on food and drinks yet I would try to save 50 bucks on a sink that I ended up replacing later because it was not what I wanted.
To this day i still sometimes get asked what my favorite car is.  My answer is always.......the one i owe nothing on.  Took me a while to learn never lease, never buy new and there is no law against owning a car with no payments that is greater than 4-5 years old.  Just follow routine maintenance and you can get 150k miles or more out of most.  Especially nowadays, no one is going anywhere.

I wish I'd known what that "button" did a lot sooner

and

Money isn't the only thing but it sure beats the heck out of whatever is 2nd and 3rd.

In all seriousness, Lots of great responses in here. great thread. I wrote a few of the quotes down and

MY DAY IS ALWAYS BETTER WHEN I READ SOMETHING FROM @WIKKIDPISSAH (absolutely dead serious).

We have all our demons and our problems. Don't judge other for theirs. Accept that everyone struggles in this life and no one does the right thing all the time.

The best thing you can do for someone is forgive them. Truly forgive them. It's hard to do, but it's worth it for both of you.

You still have time to do many of these things - my mother and mother in law were both well past 30 when they learned to drive. I'm not a great cook but started learning how to put meals together in my 40s and I've become fairly good at making good healthy meals that taste as good as many of the meals I would get eating out.
These two I know I mostly likely can do. I was more so saying for the benefit of events back then having my License would've helped. I lost track how much time I spent wasting on public transit Either waiting for a late bus to take me home from college classes, on a bus ride that if I had a car would take less then double of what I spent on the bus, etc. At the sometime I know I've saved a ton of money not buying gas, insurance or the car itself. 

Civeras FTW

is it true that the wynnewood acme is closing?
Yes I know where that is. I lived 2 blocks away from the Jewish Cemetery 

Yes it is closing. That's where my Deli Manager's Husband who's helped me over the years is managing. They don't have many employees (Well down capacity wise) so mostly full timers still there. Probably going to other stores. As for the Directors not sure where they are running off too. They'll probably be thrown in other stores or depending on Directors and age maybe force a Director near retirement to take an Early Retirement. 

Instead of learning Trig and other Math that many kids wouldn't have to do in life unless working with Science or going to school for Carpentry or architect or something similar they should've been teaching kids how to write and balance a check book. Some might debate that should be something parents should do but I feel our public education system lets us down too often and tries to throw blame on parents and others on stuff that should be taught in school. There should be a math class mandatory in HS about finances, proper credit card use etc. Stuff that gets students ready for college. This would've been solid for me back in school. 
Do not underestimate the critical thinking and problem solving skills you're picking up while learning "Trig and other Math that many kids wouldn't have to do in life".  These are incredibly useful skills that you'll use in everything you do without realizing it.  Math isn't about memorizing formulas, it's about understanding the hows and whys the formulas work,  and then using the skills and techniques you know, to solve a problem that originally seemed unsolvable.  Once you start to realize that you can break a problem down, and tackle it one step/piece at a time, and train your mind to approach life's problems that way, you realize just how applicable trying to find 'x and H in the right triangle' becomes.

Users who are viewing this thread