What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the best advice you have ever received? (1 Viewer)

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy
Just saw something that my boss posted on LinkedIn and it got me thinking. What is the best advice that you have ever received from a parent/friend/mentor?

Do you always follow that advice?

For me, it's something my dad told me long ago: "Never take a risk you can't afford to lose".

When thinking about the repercussions of your actions, regardless of what they are, are you willing to deal with the consequences if things go sideways or in a way that you didn't anticipate? If so, go for it. If not, you may want to re-think your choice...

While I haven't always followed that advice, I at least think about that quote in my decision making. Personal or professional situations, it doesn't matter. It applies to both.

From my dad and I live it everyday: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Fantasy related is actually my own. "Sometimes the best trades are those that never happen". I have to remind myself every year that sometimes NOT making a trade is the best move for my teams.

"You are stranded on a desert island..."

When I was 12 or 13 I worked for a catering company. I would ask 100 questions a day of what I was supposed to do, how to do it, etc. Finally the head chef and company owner looked at me and uttered those words and walked away.

Basically, figure it out.

Just saw something that my boss posted on LinkedIn and it got me thinking. What is the best advice that you have ever received from a parent/friend/mentor?

This is what spawned this question:

Recently my boss spoke to a high-school class about the company he runs and to provide some career advice to students that would soon be making their college decisions. One of the students followed up with a hand-written thank you note to him:

"Dear Anthony,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to come talk to us. It really opened my mind when you said no one gives a **** about my career. I have to earn it and work for it."

Well, he wasn't wrong....

From my Dad: "Show up 5 minutes early. Stay 5 minutes late."
Not sure it's beneficial in today's culture, but for years, those 10 mins proved to be invaluable on how my employer thought about me.

From my Stepdad: "It doesn't cost money to be romantic, just your time and effort."
He and my Mom were married 30 years and past within 9 months of each other. For a long time they barely had any extra money, but when I went through their things, I found a 12x12x12 box full of all of the post-it notes and cards they had written to each other over the years.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

It's ok to do yall's favorite things alone, keep living life and keep a box of kleenex in the car.

From someone who had been through the loss of a mate.

From school - if there's a problem, and it bothers you. It's your problem.

Related - It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

"Don't trust anything without shoulders". - Grandpa

The secret to business success - "Do what you said you were going to do, when you said you were going to do it, for what you said it would cost". - Dan Hanlon, founder of a mid 90's failed Indian Motorcycle revival.

I'm not big into inspirational stuff, but had a baseball coach at a camp say, "Every moment you aren't working to get better, somebody else is. And that somebody else may take your spot."

That always kind of stuck with me even though better advice to high school me may have been, "dude, you put in more effort than anybody at a sport you're not abnormally talented at - focus that energy on scholarships and maybe even seeing a girl naked before you get to college."

Someone who trained me in the job world once told me, paraphrasing "you have to advocate for yourself. No one else will. You have a skill set that is worth something. But if they can get away with paying you less, they will."

It still rings true, and now that I'm raising children it rings true in their day-to-day as well....... essentially, you must self advocate, unless you want life to run you over.

Peg, a hard-living kitchen lifer, told me this on my last day working as a prep cook at Cottage Cafe before going to start a white collar job:

The further up the ladder you go, the more of your *** people see.

Something I always tried to keep in mind when managing people.

"If it's yellow let it mellow, If it's brown flush it down"

Seriously, one thing my Grandpa told me that sticks with me to this day,

"Never go to bed angry at your spouse"

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

Build a man a fire, he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

And the serious one, from my psychology teacher: there’s hardly anything you absolutely have to do - only breathe, nourish yourself and sleep. Everything else is optional.

Used to be a hothead golfer until 15 or so years ago, when my brother commented “Ya know, you really aren’t a good enough golfer to get so mad about a bad shot.” Golf has been blissful ever since.

Along the same lines, there are a number of things I like but use to get really frustrated with...golf, poker, chess. Until I read a quote that was something along the lines of "the point of a hobby is to enjoy it, not be good at it", or something that was much more eloquently said.

Users who are viewing this thread