What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When was the last time you changed your hairstyle? (2 Viewers)

Been cutting my own hair for about 15 years with a #10 guard and have gotten it down to a science. Well, until I decided a couple of weeks ago to try something new and incorporate a fade approach on the sides. That was a disaster... it resulted in a complete nuke, and I'm now trying to grow out an ugly buzz cut.

D_House said:
Last change was 4-5 years ago to a classic side part - medium length, natural part (not shaved).

Had a ‘front flip’ in my 20s - early 30s after a brief dalliance with a caesar (which was not a flattering look on me). Was a middle part from about 5th-6th grade to senior year of high school (90s trend). Bowl cut alternating with buzz cut (summer look) in grade school.
We have to be the same age 

You started rolling with a Pat Riley freshmen year of college?  Dude, that girl was trying to do you a favor.

But to answer your question, I’m sticking with feathered center-part til death.
until 12:  burr haircut, occasionally would be able to get the "brush up" in the front I would later comb down as a weak excuse for "bangs"

age 12-14:  short in back long bangs in front (combed from the crown with big swoop in front - think Wooderson ...almost every guy had this haircut)

14-college: long, parted in the middle feathered ...you know the look ...couple of times went with the more severe crop in the middle Rod Stewart-style

out of college - 30: shorter version of above

30-55: regular business -guy haircut, though just a bit longer ...parted on the side

55-57:  didn't cut it for over a year after I retired ...shoulder-length but still kept it somewhat in shape

57-now: back to the shorter version I wore most of my adult life, though I usually only get a haircut 2-3 times a year ...so it gets a little long at times

About 2 years ago I cut off my man bun. There is exactly 1 known photo of it in existence, and I and I alone possess it.

Some evenings, late at night, in darkness, after everyone else has fallen asleep, I will still pull that picture out...and softly weep, longing to grow my best friend back.

About 2 years ago I cut off my man bun. There is exactly 1 known photo of it in existence, and I and I alone possess it.

Some evenings, late at night, in darkness, after everyone else has fallen asleep, I will still pull that picture out...and softly weep, longing to grow my best friend back.
Here's where you're wrong. No Millennial gets away with only one photo of his man bun. Violates the laws of generational physics. 

1981. Joined ROTC in college. Long military career. Been out about 12 years and have kept my hair the same. Can't stand anything other than short. I'm a simple kinda man.

Forever. No part. Relatively short. Shower, slight bit of gel, muss it up a bit with my fingers a bit and done. Easy  

Sorta like the newer, tighter cuts now with the part and shaved sides but too old for that. Don’t want to be that guy 

Spring 2016 I switched stylists and have been wearing a faux hawk or pompadour fade ever since. Basically used to just have a normal, conservative business length side part for 20 years. Since the change I’m usually sporting a closely shave sides/back that fades into heavier length on top. Never or rarely used product before, now I rarely go out without it. Usually use matte paste, has a dry look but holds in place.

ASIDE (just because this is why I made the change) - the girl who cuts my hair is part of a high end NYC salon that works mostly with models. Her team won an industry award for North American Salon of the Year a few years ago, and they get nominated like every year. Their rate is like $300-400, but I get a friends discount (&75 plus tip - usually give her $50.) I only know her because we did some volunteer gigs together & we go to the same church.

Anyway, I don’t remember ever gettin complimented on my hair before. In the last 3+ years it’s rare I go a week without someone saying something nice about my hair. Kind of weirded me out at first but I got used to it & just say thanks now.

I guess I’m that guy @Judge Smails? :lol:  Think we’re roughly the same age.

Spring 2016 I switched stylists and have been wearing a faux hawk or pompadour fade ever since. Basically used to just have a normal, conservative business length side part for 20 years. Since the change I’m usually sporting a closely shave sides/back that fades into heavier length on top. Never or rarely used product before, now I rarely go out without it. Usually use matte paste, has a dry look but holds in place.

ASIDE (just because this is why I made the change) - the girl who cuts my hair is part of a high end NYC salon that works mostly with models. Her team won an industry award for North American Salon of the Year a few years ago, and they get nominated like every year. Their rate is like $300-400, but I get a friends discount (&75 plus tip - usually give her $50.) I only know her because we did some volunteer gigs together & we go to the same church.

Anyway, I don’t remember ever gettin complimented on my hair before. In the last 3+ years it’s rare I go a week without someone saying something nice about my hair. Kind of weirded me out at first but I got used to it & just say thanks now.

This guy gets it 

:coffee:   My sister is one of those stylists.  She's worked on everyone from Tim Tebow to Lisa Kudrow to Courtney Love.

I guess I should have her cut my hair, but I just go to the $15 barber down the street. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
:coffee:   My sister is one of those stylists.  She's worked on everyone from Tim Tebow to Lisa Kudrow to Courtney Love.

I guess I should have her cut my hair, but I just go to the $15 barber down the street. :lol:  
My previous go to was Super Cuts

:hifive:

Stopped dying it early 2018 but it took the better part of the year for the color to grow out.  I grew a matching beard starting in December.  One big advantage of natural hair color is I can now comb it up/back, which used to expose roots.  I wear it up/back now with some pomade.  Mrs. Eephus once led the dyed hair/clean-shaven coalition but she's acknowledged the new/old look is good. :thumbup:

Like James Daulton, I've been blessed with a lush scalp into my 50s.  My head wouldn't look good bald.

My previous go to was Super Cuts

:hifive:
There was a Super Cuts a block from my office so I got my hair cut there for years.  They had a lot of cutter turnover so the consistency wasn't great until I became a regular for one stylist.

Since I retired, I ride my bike to a Filipino barbers out in the Avenues.  Two chairs:  two cousins.  It's cheaper than Super Cuts and they finish with one of those Stim-U-Lax massagers on my neck and shoulders. Nothing against Super Cuts but I wouldn't trust one of their employees with a straight razor around my ears.

There was a Super Cuts a block from my office so I got my hair cut there for years.  They had a lot of cutter turnover so the consistency wasn't great until I became a regular for one stylist.

Since I retired, I ride my bike to a Filipino barbers out in the Avenues.  Two chairs:  two cousins.  It's cheaper than Super Cuts and they finish with one of those Stim-U-Lax massagers on my neck and shoulders. Nothing against Super Cuts but I wouldn't trust one of their employees with a straight razor around my ears.
Yeah, I had the same gal at SC for over a decade. She moved away and I found a guy in Chinatown through Yelp. Not a barber, he has a nice little salon with another stylist. His wife would wash my hair and give me an amazing scalp massage. Pretty sure it was like $15-18 plus tip. Oh, and the guy doesn't know a lick of English. If I had any instructions I had to tell his wife or the other stylist. Went to Danny for a year or two before I met my current stylist, and I go back to him if my gal is on the west coast (she's around L.A. for about a third of the year it seems like.)

I've had a buzz cut, a perm, dyed blonde, a mullet... As a kid/young adult I experimented a lot with my hairstyle.  Freshman year of college, I went from parting my hair on the side, to just slicking it back.  27 years later I still have that same hairstyle.  A had one girlfriend that tried to make me change it and I attempted to for about 2 weeks before I gave up on it.  

I'm just wondering how often guys change their hair style if they haven't gone bald.  I can't imagine me changing it ever again.  Just wondering if that's how most heterosexual guys are: Find a style in college and ride it out until the casket closes on you.  
1987.  Changed from center-part to normal-part.  Junior in HS.

Pretty standard since I was 22. It’s become a little more formal and grown up, but still the same basic idea. 

Is it weird that after watching all the John Wick movies repeatedly I’m tempted to try Keanu’s hairstyle in those?

Send before and after pics. Hair only. We’ll decide. 

I change almost every haircut.

eta - I don't even know what the cuts are called.. I sit down with my girl and tell her to go for it.  Works out well.

Dont have any hair left, but i did change my facial hair. For years & years i sported a Skydog, but i switched to a negative of that and now have a foot-long VanDyke.
So, you're rocking a Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart?  Rad.

This guy gets it 
Totally.

As long as I am still carrying around this horse's mane, I will have fun with it. I don't care if it turns green as long as it's there.  "#4 on the sides, # 6 on top"s need not apply.  I'm considering getting one of the chicks at my local shop to cut the back of my hair to look like a pine cone, but it'll be a while before it grows out enough to make the attempt.  Had the "John Wick" hair Oats is pining for a few years back and sorta miss it.  Wouldn't mind going back there again either, but it'll take even longer.

Same basic haircut since high school. Went from bangs forward to bangs up but that's  my only change really.

i went to a men's salon that was just off Wall Street once. i was asked to be a hair model for a stylist there who was auditioning there. it was staffed by all these crazy hot stylists along with a cigar room, pool table, and full bar. while i waited, i got a massage and hot towel. it was kind of amazing. the head stylist finally took over after the audition and finished the job for her. she was like "move over, let me just fix his hair for you..." 

it was glorious.

Started using clippers myself about 15 years ago (was about 30) and been sporting the buzz cut/shaved look ever since.
Same here for 23 years. #2 guard on the whole thing (though, I did switch from #3 to #2 a few years ago, if that counts as a style change). I was tutoring a friend in Geometry in HS. We got stoned and she said "let's shave your hair"? I said sure, and it's been that way ever since.

The thought having to go to a barber shop to get haircuts sounds miserable to me.  I wouldn't even care about the cost, just the time spent doing it and I'm not a fan of having to make small talk.

Thirty years ago.  My ex-fiancee suggested l comb my hair back.  Prior to that I had Greg Brady hair.  

Sad but necessary.  Much like putting down a favorite animal that contracted rabies.

i went to a men's salon that was just off Wall Street once. i was asked to be a hair model for a stylist there who was auditioning there. it was staffed by all these crazy hot stylists along with a cigar room, pool table, and full bar. while i waited, i got a massage and hot towel. it was kind of amazing. the head stylist finally took over after the audition and finished the job for her. she was like "move over, let me just fix his hair for you..." 

it was glorious.
I used to do the hair-model thing when I was in college for the free haircuts. nowhere near the luxury you described- it was a teaching experience for the stylist in training... they'd do part of the cut and have to wait for the head stylist to review... stop and go like that for longer than needed. 

with my conehead/thin hair, it takes a deft touch the last decade or so for me to be happy with it. had a girl at a fancy soho salon who was a jr stylist (still 75) who was amazing- perfect cut for me every time, and would anticipate/recommend changes in style. but her rates kept going up... after 4 or 5 years it was 130 heading to 150 (so I'd cut back to 3-4x per year instead of 6 or more). then she moved to LA to work on movies/tv... since then it's been a wasteland. went to one of these stupid hipster barbers that opened up on our block that does exactly what bobby's been getting (probably nowhere near as well). that look doesn't work for me unless I spent time blow-drying and installing tons of product... which isn't going to happen.

I used to do the hair-model thing when I was in college for the free haircuts. nowhere near the luxury you described- it was a teaching experience for the stylist in training... they'd do part of the cut and have to wait for the head stylist to review... stop and go like that for longer than needed. 

with my conehead/thin hair, it takes a deft touch the last decade or so for me to be happy with it. had a girl at a fancy soho salon who was a jr stylist (still 75) who was amazing- perfect cut for me every time, and would anticipate/recommend changes in style. but her rates kept going up... after 4 or 5 years it was 130 heading to 150 (so I'd cut back to 3-4x per year instead of 6 or more). then she moved to LA to work on movies/tv... since then it's been a wasteland. went to one of these stupid hipster barbers that opened up on our block that does exactly what bobby's been getting (probably nowhere near as well). that look doesn't work for me unless I spent time blow-drying and installing tons of product... which isn't going to happen.
No heat - I have very fine hair that doesn’t want to stay in place, just falls where it wants. Besides the matte paste the only thing I do differently is I bought a paddle brush which detangles & gives it more volume than just combing it. I don’t put much time into it at all.

You ever leave a salon/barber thinking “man that looks great, they did a great job” but then you can never replicate it at home? If you have fine hair that’s hard to train, super common. Well I haven’t had that experience the last three years, so there’s something about the way she cuts it. I really don’t understand the technique but after she’s done shaping it - I think we’re done - she spends a lot of time “giving it texture”, which to me seems like random snips in the middle of my head.

All I know is it’s super easy & quick every morning.

i think the most i ever spent on a cut ($65) was at a salon here in Chicago. i found it based on a positive review on Yelp and it was close to the office. i found this great stylist - young, lithe and Ukrainian - that told me how she *knew* how to make me look good. she could have covered me in black tar, set me alight and i would have tipped her double. with her cute little accented voice, i was putty in her hands.  i went to the salon religiously for maybe a year before she moved on somewhere without telling me. i kicked myself for a long while after that because i debated asking her out for months.

i think the most i ever spent on a cut ($65) was at a salon here in Chicago. i found it based on a positive review on Yelp and it was close to the office. i found this great stylist - young, lithe and Ukrainian - that told me how she *knew* how to make me look good. she could have covered me in black tar, set me alight and i would have tipped her double. with her cute little accented voice, i was putty in her hands.  i went to the salon religiously for maybe a year before she moved on somewhere without telling me. i kicked myself for a long while after that because i debated asking her out for months.
I'm in love with the girl who works at the store but to her...

loved the use of "lithe" here. I was ready to her bidding just reading about her.

is the new av from gravity falls? floppinho was a fiend for that show.

loved the use of "lithe" here. I was ready to her bidding just reading about her.

is the new av from gravity falls? floppinho was a fiend for that show.
it is! my boy stumbled onto it last Fall and loved it. he's watched both seasons 4x since without concern for burnout. I've turned him onto Futurama and Bob's Burgers. I'm hoping to introduce him to "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" via Youtube next.

it is! my boy stumbled onto it last Fall and loved it. he's watched both seasons 4x since without concern for burnout. I've turned him onto Futurama and Bob's Burgers. I'm hoping to introduce him to "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" via Youtube next.

Gravity Falls is the best kid's cartoon going

Been the same crappy haircut for years. Maybe I should dye mine when my daughter does hers. She wants blue. I could see bleached blonde.

saintfool said:
it's like going to a nudie bar and asking for the dancer's number. 
I've done that. Too often to speak of. I look at it as being akin to a tourist falling in love with a tourist trap. "Look. It's everything I long to be!"

Users who are viewing this thread