What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

It's hard to explain how much I enjoyed the write-ups of the eligibility reasoning from @Sullie and @MAC_32 on their picks, plus the short-form song write-ups from @otb_lifer . You're not going to see them all at the same time like I did, so they might lose some of the effect, but I might post them all together after the 31-pointers so you can enjoy as I did. Thanks for making it all fun, guys.

Sorry. I've been in court so much the past month I've barely even looked at this in awhile. If i don't get one in in time then assume I couldn't, with deepest apologies and the knowledge that I was going to have at least 20 Queen songs on the list.

Viva la Zanzibar

- speaking of which ... sitting in an Argentinian empanada jernt atm, enjoying a Yellow Catuai cold brew - the Uruguayan counter dood extols Tom Jones, whilst some of his groovy 60s output blares on .... all better tunes than that Queen mishegoss i referenced - "My Condition" now playing, ties this all together - yeah, he covered that ... very lounge-ish, not that good, tbh - but still better than that effin' Queen song.

☠️

- speaking of which ... sitting in an Argentinian empanada jernt atm, enjoying a Yellow Catuai cold brew - the Uruguayan counter dood extols Tom Jones, whilst some of his groovy 60s output blares on .... all better tunes than that Queen mishegoss i referenced - "My Condition" now playing, ties this all together - yeah, he covered that ... very lounge-ish, not that good, tbh - but still better than that effin' Queen song.

☠️
If it's the one that I would choose We agree.

Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get, The Big Lebowski?
You're in good company*. Fargo and Miller's Crossing are two of my very favorite movies, so I'm a Cohen brothers fan. Their comedies, excepting Raising Arizona, miss the mark for me. I should give BL another try though.

*Okay, maybe not GOOD company. Just MY company.

☠️
If it's the one that I would choose We agree.

im'ma just vacate the thread if/when it rears ...

:shrug:

Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get, The Big Lebowski?
You're in good company*. Fargo and Miller's Crossing are two of my very favorite movies, so I'm a Cohen brothers fan. Their comedies, excepting Raising Arizona, miss the mark for me. I should give BL another try though.

*Okay, maybe not GOOD company. Just MY company.

I’m a huge fan of the Coen Brothers, too, especially the three you named. :thumbup:

I only saw The Big Lebowski once years ago, and I don't remember it being a barrel of laughs. I do remember laughing once at a scene where Julianne Moore's character flies over naked on a harness while splatting paint on a painting. It was so weird it made me laugh. Anyway, I did enjoy Raising Arizona a lot.

I only saw The Big Lebowski once years ago, and I don't remember it being a barrel of laughs. I do remember laughing once at a scene where Julianne Moore's character flies over naked on a harness while splatting paint on a painting. It was so weird it made me laugh. Anyway, I did enjoy Raising Arizona a lot.

:D great new avatar!! Love it!!

love the Lebowski.

So list in by the 17th correct? I'm gonna try over next day or so but I've been crazy busy with kids sports, and other ****

love the Lebowski.
Some day I will watch it again, and see if I feel any different. I probably won't, but I'll give it a go.

I enjoyed the movie Fargo, and although it is in North Dakota, I picture people from Minnesota having that same accent. @Andy Dufresne Do you talk like the people in the movie Fargo?
A little. I say "Oh geeze" quite a bit.

Typically , that accent comes from people in northern Minnesota... Like north of Brainerd. It's exaggerated in the movie, but not by much. The guy sweeping snow from the bottom of his driveway? I know a guy JUST like that.

Carrie Coon nails the accent in Fargo Season 2. Ewan McGregor in season 3?... Not so much.

1. It’s Deja VoteVu All Over Again.

Which of the following top scorers in prior countdowns will NOT have a song covered in this countdown: (a) The Beatles, (b) David Bowie, (c) Bob Dylan, (d) The Kinks, or (e) none of the above (all will be covered)?*

8. Where In the World ARE the Middle-Aged Dummies?

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

10. It’s Deja VoteVu All Over Again…Again.

Which of the following also-rans in prior countdowns will NOT have a song with a cover version in this countdown: (a) Cream, (b) George Michael, (c) Townes Van Zandt, (d) Warren Zevon, or (e) none of the above (all will be covered)?

I had a contest entry this morning that confirmed that the above are worded in a way that could be confusing, In each of these, I'm asking which on the list will NOT be selected. As a result, it means that either three or four of (a)-(d) will have been selected in every instance. If you think all four have been selected, then choose option (e). If you think only three have, then choose the one you think has not. Capisce?

It's not. It's the characters that are funny, but without jokes. I love it, but after watching it my wife was like "That's it? That's the super cult movie I hear so much about?"

Thanks for the mansplaining. Think I got it, though. ;) Just didn't enjoy it

I was saying if that's the case.

Jesus, you were tough last night.

Hence the question mark.

I hate the term "mansplaining." I see the wink, but it's still off-putting as a general term. It shuts off any potential to discuss things between the sexes. As soon as I hear it -- if spoken in total seriousness -- I know to not have conversations with that person in the future. That's more reserved for when there's say, an expert in neuroscience who is female and is in the room lecturing and some dumb guy off of the street attempts to tell her about neurochemistry.

Not amateur film criticism with somebody who just said they didn't get it.

Last edited:
Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get,

That sounds like you said "(I) really don't get."

Seems pretty simple as a statement.

Maybe you need to femsplain "but really don't get" to me, because it must be a Mars/Venus thing and not an actual language thing.

I personally still don't get "magical realism" and how it explains away why you can spray paint on San Francisco properties without the audience worrying that you're gonna get busted.

I can't even remember the movie but I remember Eephus and ilov80s mansplaining it to me. It fell upon deaf ears.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie Fargo, and although it is in North Dakota,
Most of the movie takes place in Minnesota.
And most of the locations still exist. I've parked in the ramp where Wade gets shot. I ate at that Embers before they tore it down. The car dealership actually exists and is about a half mile from my workplace.

I'm pretty sure Brainerd has an Arby's.

What doesn't make any sense is why they would drive from Fargo to Brainerd to get to Minneapolis...and then enter Minneapolis from the south. No explanation that is except that they are morons.

What doesn't make any sense is why they would drive from Fargo to Brainerd to get to Minneapolis...and then enter Minneapolis from the south. No explanation that is except that they are morons.
That must have went right over my head when I saw the movie :lol: -but I'm from NY/NJ.

Maybe you need to femsplain "but really don't get" to me, because it must be a Mars/Venus thing and not an actual language thing.
I'll give it a go. I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable. I sure don't. I don't get Seinfeld, either. It's just annoying to me.

For the same reason that Kevin Costner drives over a bridge from Houston into Washington DC in No Way Out.

I'll give it a go. I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable. I sure don't. I don't get Seinfeld, either. It's just annoying to me.

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I don't get the hype. It's a fairly common usage, but go wild, rock.

I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable.

Right, but why use the phrase "I didn't get it" vs. "I didn't enjoy it"?

Then again, that's a term ("I don't get it") I've used when saying I don't like something, so I suppose there is that. But when you say "I don't get it" the possibility of someone explaining it to you is because they're taking you literally and not falling under the sexism rubric.

Like I'd correct or attempt to explain anything to Krista if I wasn't damn sure I knew and she'd indicated she didn't...

I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable.

Right, but why use the phrase "I didn't get it" vs. "I didn't enjoy it"?

The again, that's a term ("I don't get it") I've used when saying I don't like something, so I suppose there is that. But when you say "I don't get it" the possibility of someone explaining it to you is because they're taking you literally and not falling under the sexism rubric.

Like I'd correct or attempt to explain anything to Krista if I wasn't damn sure I knew and she'd indicated she didn't...
Because it's not I didn't enjoy the movie. It's I don't get why anyone cares about it.

@krista4

You want submissions to look like this?

My number 1 selection:

31 Macarena - Los del Rio - https://open.spotify.com/track/4oaj36KzXRgDg4McgcTsZK?si=0a7ec1c356a54c95

And, should I have capitalized "del" even though it is not capitalized? And I have one group that is all capital letters (not the Swedish super group), should I not capitalize them all?

Your formatting is perfectly lovely. If you'll just capitalize in the titles and do whatever you wish in the band names, that will get me really far. I'm having to change band names a whole lot anyway to get to consistency (e.g., I've received a bunch of variations on "CSN," "Crosby, Still and Nash," "Crosby, Stills & Nash," etc.). Thank you for asking!

Because it's not I didn't enjoy the movie. It's I don't get why anyone cares about it.

I get the colloquial usage to express disbelief over others' opinions about the movie. But usually there's a referent. Like "I don't get (the hype)" or "I don't get (the love)" or "I don't get (the adulation)" not "I don't get (it)." Usually, the last example expresses a dissonance caused by not understanding the actual flick.

Just a thought. I could be wrong. Perhaps I should have assumed "I really don't get (the movie as referent)" didn't literally mean "I really don't get (the movie as referent)" and instead meant "I really don't get (the love for it)"

Anyway, it's a movie that I can see not digging all that much. Not sure what my fifty year-old self would say about it. The memory of it is funny.

I get the colloquial usage to express disbelief over others' opinions about the movie. But usually there's a referent. Like "I don't get (the hype)" or "I don't get (the love)" or "I don't get (the adulation)" not "I don't get (it)." Usually, the last example expresses a dissonance of understanding the actual flick.
Maybe it's a Chicago thing? But I think it's more likely a consequence of having a conversation not in person. That sort of elision is much more obvious in an in-person, one topic conversation.

But I think it's more likely a consequence of having a conversation not in person. That sort of elision is much more obvious in an in-person, one topic conversation.

Very likely. I won't push it any further. We can now get back to our regularly scheduled "Where in the World..." portion of the program.

Users who are viewing this thread