What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Because it's not I didn't enjoy the movie. It's I don't get why anyone cares about it.

I get the colloquial usage to express disbelief over others' opinions about the movie. But usually there's a referent. Like "I don't get (the hype)" or "I don't get (the love)" or "I don't get (the adulation)" not "I don't get (it)." Usually, the last example expresses a dissonance caused by not understanding the actual flick.

Just a thought. I could be wrong. Perhaps I should have assumed "I really don't get (the movie as referent)" didn't literally mean "I really don't get (the movie as referent)" and instead meant "I really don't get (the love for it)"

Anyway, it's a movie that I can see not digging all that much. Not sure what my fifty year-old self would say about it. The memory of it is funny.

well I check in on "Lebowski" every year or so and it still fits like a favorite pair of jeans. I will say, I could do without the trippin' dance scene - and I felt that the first time I saw it ...and feel the same way today.

big Coen brothers fan ...I mean holy hell - "Fargo", "Raising Arizona" ...really like the underrated "Lady Killers"

I get the colloquial usage to express disbelief over others' opinions about the movie. But usually there's a referent. Like "I don't get (the hype)" or "I don't get (the love)" or "I don't get (the adulation)" not "I don't get (it)." Usually, the last example expresses a dissonance of understanding the actual flick.
Maybe it's a Chicago thing? But I think it's more likely a consequence of having a conversation not in person. That sort of elision is much more obvious in an in-person, one topic conversation.

This is a reasonable POV.

Maybe you need to femsplain "but really don't get" to me, because it must be a Mars/Venus thing and not an actual language thing.
I'll give it a go. I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable. I sure don't. I don't get Seinfeld, either. It's just annoying to me.

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I don't get the hype. It's a fairly common usage, but go wild, rock.
It would be hard to explain for me, but I actually laugh a lot watching it. I like deadpan humor, which helps I guess.
I think it’s well casted and acted. I think even the mystery element isn’t terrible for entertainment purposes .

For me, I was hooked from after the guys break into his apartment and pee on his rug in their hooligan ways and he goes to confront the Big Lebowski to get retribution for his rug. He gets reamed out by Lebowski and leaves. Big Lebowski’s man servant asks him how the meeting with Mr. Lebowski went.
The Dude responds “fine. He said take any rug I want”.
I crack up just writing that - but I get why others wouldn’t.

Maybe you need to femsplain "but really don't get" to me, because it must be a Mars/Venus thing and not an actual language thing.
I'll give it a go. I figured she understood the movie; she just didn't get why anyone found it enjoyable. I sure don't. I don't get Seinfeld, either. It's just annoying to me.

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I don't get the hype. It's a fairly common usage, but go wild, rock.
It would be hard to explain for me, but I actually laugh a lot watching it. I like deadpan humor, which helps I guess.
I think it’s well casted and acted. I think even the mystery element isn’t terrible for entertainment purposes .

For me, I was hooked from after the guys break into his apartment and pee on his rug in their hooligan ways and he goes to confront the Big Lebowski to get retribution for his rug. He gets reamed out by Lebowski and leaves. Big Lebowski’s man servant asks him how the meeting with Mr. Lebowski went.

Agree that it's well cast/acted. And I started this whole thing by saying I don't hate the movie (unlike O Brother Where Are Thou). It just gets so much more love than I can personally understand, which is an acknowledgement that I'm one of the outliers on it. We all have our own taste! I happen to have liked The Ballad of Buster Scruggs enough to watch it twice, which is probably weird, too.

So I was telling my wife about this draft / who was eligable / etc. Right away she mentions a name and I'm like "oh MAN... I forgot that one". I hate that.

No changes though - I'm happy with my list and I'm sure multiple people selected who I forgot and I'll be sure to express my love when that happens.

So I was telling my wife about this draft / who was eligable / etc. Right away she mentions a name and I'm like "oh MAN... I forgot that one". I hate that.

No changes though - I'm happy with my list and I'm sure multiple people selected who I forgot and I'll be sure to express my love when that happens.

I'll take a PM, out of curiosity. Or, make the change if you wish. I've received no new lists today and am fairly caught up.

Reactions: jwb

Yup, it's like that.

"Careful man, there's a beverage here" gets me every time. I crack up. My wife looks at me strange.

"every time."

I realize this picture does immediately relay the context of "every time".

Explanation: as we move in and out of "why we like quirky movies or don't" - this is a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, "Shakes the Clown" which has countless, repeatable lines that apply to life ...and my wife and I (as well as a few close friends) repeat them instantaneously when the situation calls for it.

the scenario here is when Judy (the blonde) is frustrated with her boyfriend, Shakes, who didn't show up for her championship bowling match the night before and she is talking with her "hardened" bar maid friend, Lucy. We use the phrase "evvvery time" endlessly ...

I have highlighted the phrases that are so usable in every day life ...over 30 years now

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

Script:

Lucy: So, was your boyfriend Shakes

there last night?

Judy: No. He was up all night

with a sick friend.

Lucy: Judy, he was chasing broads

and drinking their beer.

Judy: I haven't told this to anybody,

but I think...

maybe Shakes is an alcoholic.

Lucy: Judy, don't use the medical term.

The guy's a drunk and a half.

- Of course he's an alcoholic.

Judy: - You're right.

Lucy: Look, a pretty bowler like you,

you can have any man in the world.

Judy: I should start thinking about my career.

This has happened to other girls, right?

Lucy: - Mm-hmm.

Judy: - You get with a guy, things go wrong.

Next thing you know, you end up dead

at the bottom of a motel swimming pool.

Lucy: Evvvvvery time.

You gotta lose this guy, all right?

A bad clown could really f*** you up.

I thought you'd never ask!

Casablanca
All About Eve
Notorious
Sunset Blvd
Double Indemnity

Hmmm. I love old movies, but on that list I only score a "I like these" of a 4 out of 5. Since I never have cared for Sunset Blvd, I'd probably replace that option on the list with something else, like say The Philadelphia Story, or It Happened One Night (or even throw in something really old, say maybe Metropolis).

(Although Mrs. R points out that Metropolis is waaaaay more of an acquired taste, which she definitely doesn't have...)

Last edited:

I’m curious what my wife’s take would be, but not sure I could tell her about this draft.

If she found out I was spending time putting lists together like this, she’d immediately give me a hammer and nails to fix stuff around the house or something.

Casablanca
All About Eve
Notorious
Sunset Blvd
Double Indemnity

Hmmm. I love old movies, but on that list I only score a "I like these" of a 4 out of 5. Since I never have cared for Sunset Blvd, I'd probably replace that option on the list with something else, like say The Philadelphia Story, or It Happened One Night (or even throw in something really old, say maybe Metropolis).

(Although Mrs. R points out that Metropolis is waaaaay more of an acquired taste, which she definitely doesn't have...)
It Happened One Night is a good submission.

I'm with Mrs R on Metropolis - cool to look at in parts but the story just isn't great. And silent movies are in the distinct category of OLD Old movies. There I'd recommend The Kid and The General.

I'm with Mrs R on Metropolis - cool to look at in parts but the story just isn't great. And silent movies are in the distinct category of OLD Old movies. There I'd recommend The Kid and The General.
I'll buy that - although if you haven't seen the almost complete version of Metropolis they've pieced together from the print they found in South America, it does make the story much more understandable. And I will agree with The General being a good suggestion, as is virtually any silent staring the great Buster Keaton.

I'll buy that - although if you haven't seen the almost complete version of Metropolis they've pieced together from the print they found in South America, it does make the story much more understandable. And I will agree with The General being a good suggestion, as is virtually any silent staring the great Buster Keaton.
I have seen that version and it is the best one. The story of how they cobbled that print together IS amazing.

Casablanca
All About Eve
Notorious
Sunset Blvd
Double Indemnity

Speaking of OLD, OLD movies, my memory is cloudy, but I could swear that back in my early 70s pre-adolescent SoCal days the nuclear family used to go check out classic black and white silent classics at Shakey's Pizza (somewhere near Oxnard).

Casablanca
All About Eve
Notorious
Sunset Blvd
Double Indemnity

Speaking of OLD, OLD movies, my memory is cloudy, but I could swear that back in my early 70s pre-adolescent SoCal days the nuclear family used to go check out classic black and white silent classics at Shakey's Pizza (somewhere near Oxnard).
OMG do I miss Shakey's Pizza. The one in Fargo closed almost thirty years ago - hard to believe.

Now there's no Happy Joe's either. :sadbanana:

I know that most of you are appreciative, if not quite cognizant, of the amount of work that goes into all this. But just to give an example of the type of follow-up I have to do with so many lists. The following is in response to a wonderful person who has been in all three of these! I've gotten a lot more help from you all in formatting (such putting song first, although I've had to remind several of you). And this one has allegedly involved a lot less vetting. But sheesh.

Believe it or not, the following was not in reply to Binky's list! :lol:

1. You have no #3-#5 listed.
2. Your #21 does not have an artist listed.
3. #29 is ineligible and was chosen in the UK countdown. They have a bunch of other songs/albums available, though. We actually PM'd about this one in the prior countdown. :)
4. I'm not sure what to do with a 31a and 31b?

I know that most of you are appreciative, if not quite cognizant, of the amount of work that goes into all this. But just to give an example of the type of follow-up I have to do with so many lists. The following is in response to a wonderful person who has been in all three of these! I've gotten a lot more help from you all in formatting (such putting song first, although I've had to remind several of you). And this one has allegedly involved a lot less vetting. But sheesh.

3. #29 is ineligible and was chosen in the UK countdown. They have a bunch of other songs/albums available, though. We actually PM'd about this one in the prior countdown. :)
Oh Tim, you rapscallion.

... sheesh, and i thought i were stunodz for flubbing a few of the contest queries

- speaking of which ... sitting in an Argentinian empanada jernt atm, enjoying a Yellow Catuai cold brew - the Uruguayan counter dood extols Tom Jones, whilst some of his groovy 60s output blares on .... all better tunes than that Queen mishegoss i referenced - "My Condition" now playing, ties this all together - yeah, he covered that ... very lounge-ish, not that good, tbh - but still better than that effin' Queen song.

☠️
Are we going to need ChatGPT in this draft as a means of deciphering posts?

- speaking of which ... sitting in an Argentinian empanada jernt atm, enjoying a Yellow Catuai cold brew - the Uruguayan counter dood extols Tom Jones, whilst some of his groovy 60s output blares on .... all better tunes than that Queen mishegoss i referenced - "My Condition" now playing, ties this all together - yeah, he covered that ... very lounge-ish, not that good, tbh - but still better than that effin' Queen song.

☠️
I'm not sure if the current ChatGPT is yet up to this particular challenge.

☠️
Now I understand - thanks, Chat:

It sounds like you are enjoying a unique and eclectic atmosphere in the Argentinian empanada joint! It's always interesting to experience new music and cultural vibes in different parts of the world. Tom Jones is certainly a legendary musician with a wide range of hits spanning several decades. While his lounge-style cover of "My Condition" may not be to your taste, it's great that you're open to exploring different musical genres and styles. Ultimately, everyone has their own preferences, and it's important to respect and appreciate the diversity of musical expression. Enjoy your empanadas and cold brew!

☠️
Now I understand - thanks, Chat:

It sounds like you are enjoying a unique and eclectic atmosphere in the Argentinian empanada joint! It's always interesting to experience new music and cultural vibes in different parts of the world. Tom Jones is certainly a legendary musician with a wide range of hits spanning several decades. While his lounge-style cover of "My Condition" may not be to your taste, it's great that you're open to exploring different musical genres and styles. Ultimately, everyone has their own preferences, and it's important to respect and appreciate the diversity of musical expression. Enjoy your empanadas and cold brew!

i never said i was having empanadas ... total fail on their part

:shrug:

Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get, The Big Lebowski?
You're in good company*. Fargo and Miller's Crossing are two of my very favorite movies, so I'm a Cohen brothers fan. Their comedies, excepting Raising Arizona, miss the mark for me. I should give BL another try though.
I only saw The Big Lebowski once years ago, and I don't remember it being a barrel of laughs. I do remember laughing once at a scene where Julianne Moore's character flies over naked on a harness while splatting paint on a painting. It was so weird it made me laugh. Anyway, I did enjoy Raising Arizona a lot.

It's not. It's the characters that are funny, but without jokes. I love it, but after watching it my wife was like "That's it? That's the super cult movie I hear so much about?"
I feel like you either love Coen Bros movies or you're like wtf was that? It's all about the dialogue, absurd characters, and randomness.....Lebowski has some of the best characters of all time, imo. Walter Sobchak for instance..."That rug really tied the room together, did it not?"......and then Goodman is Big Dan Teague in O Brother Where art though......how can you not love those characters?

Last edited:
I feel like you either love Coen Bros movies or you're like wtf was that?

since we're on the subject (and working on our lists (personal list is submitted - working on my guess as to the top 10 artists - not having much luck ...)

I admit to being a bit lost with almost all of Wes Anderson's movies. I mean I can hang with "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" - but that's about it.

definitely a real WTF was that for me every time.

I feel like you either love Coen Bros movies or you're like wtf was that?

since we're on the subject (and working on our lists (personal list is submitted - working on my guess as to the top 10 artists - not having much luck ...)

I admit to being a bit lost with almost all of Wes Anderson's movies. I mean I can hang with "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" - but that's about it.

definitely a real WTF was that for me every time.
I agree 100%. When I watch Anderson movies my inner monologue...."I'm sposed to like this......but I'm kinda bored.....I need someone to explain to me why this is good."

Also congrats to @Uruk-Hai for the Maryland win, which came at great cost to my household (OH went to WVU).

29 hours from the deadline, and we have 34 lists in. I haven't processed the last two yet, but I can see that one of them will significantly shake up the artist rankings. I haven't done calculations on artists yet, but my impression is that there's one artist with a substantial lead. Might not shake out that way when I calculate, though.

In the favorite song race, there are three that look to be best positioned to win, although the votes are spread out so much that a few others could sneak in with strong showings in whatever lists are still out there.

In the favorite song race, there are three that look to be best positioned to win, although the votes are spread out so much that a few others could sneak in with strong showings in whatever lists are still out there.
Were we supposed to vote on what song will get the most points or something? I didn't see that in the contest rules.

(OH went to WVU)
ECU used to play them quite a bit in football. We usually lost, but it was a fun game and the crowd was fun to mix with. Both fans traveled well back and forth, so the teams played each other in Charlotte at the Panthers stadium one year around Labor Day. ECU usually had better luck beating Marshall (the other WV team).

Users who are viewing this thread