What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (5 Viewers)

Discussed along the way in this thread. I mistakenly thought he was born in Canada so ruled him out. I guess we could have made him eligible here due to the mistake, but we didn't.
I thought he was Canadian too, until I double checked for this countdown and discovered otherwise.

Cool, radio I'm listening to just started playing a banger of a remix of The Power, then we went over a blackspot going back across the Pennines and i missed most of it

I wanted to go over a couple of reminders for the group, especially for newbies to these countdowns (@Raging weasel , @otb_lifer , @John Maddens Lunchbox , and @JMLs secret identity , I think?).

First and foremost, the reason that the first countdown was such a success, and the second a little less so but still great, is that the participants have gravitated naturally to The Thumper Rule, meaning generally that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The idea of the threads is not to make fun of other people's picks but to share a love of music and to pick up some new favorites and revisit old ones.

:oldunsure:

is this a hard/fast ...

I wanted to go over a couple of reminders for the group, especially for newbies to these countdowns (@Raging weasel , @otb_lifer , @John Maddens Lunchbox , and @JMLs secret identity , I think?).

First and foremost, the reason that the first countdown was such a success, and the second a little less so but still great, is that the participants have gravitated naturally to The Thumper Rule, meaning generally that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The idea of the threads is not to make fun of other people's picks but to share a love of music and to pick up some new favorites and revisit old ones.

:oldunsure:

is this a hard/fast ...
I'll vouch. :hey:

seeing "Hocus Pocus" chucked out there already is a tad ironic, as i was watching my boy Joolz (not Holland) yesterday afternoon - and he mentioned running into one of the Focus chaps down there near Finsbury Park, iirc

ol' Joolz broke out a spiffy enough impromptu version of that gnarler, a right fitting tribute ... that was as singular a sensation as we've ever been blessed with - like Tull on speed talking to a coked up Pict who somehow escaped the cave.

also known as the "Slim Whitman of Dutch Progressive Rock"

... has since passed that torch on to Wolfy VH :whistle:

great song - never heard any else by them that I can remember though - this song was big way back in my musical wheelhouse

first "heard" (saw?) on a ToTP variation that used to get fobbed on us up here on late Saturday afternoons on Channel 9 (WOR) - usually after the Muttises/Kiner's Korner wrapped up - extra innings were a death knell.

but, yeah, full send on "W.T.F.?" upon first exposure - bless those yodelin' bastidz, it was glorious ✨

JMLs secret identity:

5 - Carmen Miranda - I Ile You Very Much - Portugal
4 - Roger Whittaker - Mammy Blue - Kenya
3 - The Seekers - Georgy Girl - Sri Lanka
2 - Les Troubadours Du Roi - Sanctus - Zaire
1 - Jan Hammer - Crocketts Theme – Czechoslovakia
First of all on the Other 5 Out lists, some interesting ones from countries I didnt have like Ukraine, Singapore and Cameroon
Didnt know the Pixies had a Filipino link, but Im happy with my choice there anyway.

Out of my choices I had to get down from 67 to 62, so the above 5 got the chop.
Carmen Miranda was the best I could do from Portugal so I was happy to exclude her.
I listened to about 10 Roger Whittaker songs and was horrified at the prospect of including him. Thankfully other people helped out
The Seekers at least were tolerable, but not my kind of stuff really. An easy cut
The Zaire one was from the late 50s when Belgian colonialism was still rife in Zaire. This track is basically a bunch of Belgian monks, some born in Zaire
Jan Hammer was the hardest cut as I like this track. My Hong Kong and Belgian tracks almost made way for it, but had just a little extra. No idea if Mr Hammer is from the Czech Republic or Slovakia, as they were one country when Mr Hammer was born

Don Quixote:

On my last five out, I’m sure Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Noir Desir, and Wilburys will show up in some top 31s; so, will instead share a bit about the two that may be more unlikely to do so (but would be pleasantly happy to see them do so)…. I’ve got an iTunes playlist of my most favorite African songs that I’ve been assembling over the years and listen to regularly (mostly Afrobeat, Afrofunk, or High-Life from 70s from Western Africa). A decent amount of my US list was US artists who borrowed some of the African influences; I gravitate a bit to the source too. As I already revealed my country-by-country, a handful did make my final 31. Soul Makossa and Sweet Mother were a couple that were in some iterations of my 31 that just missed in the end.

Even if you’ve never heard Soul Makossa, if you’ve heard Michael Jackson’s Wanna Be Starting Something or Rihanna’s Don’t Stop the Music, you might recognize it (Dibango sued both). It’s got a funky beat, that is a combo of brass and electric bass.

Sweet Mother is sometimes called Africa’s Anthem; it is one of the most popular songs in African music history. More in the High-Life genre — great guitar melody with the conga drum accompaniment. I put down for Nigeria, but Cameroon claims it too.

Last edited:
Don Quixote:

On my last five out, I’m sure Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Noir Desir, and Wilburys will show up in some top 31s; so, will instead share a bit about the two that may be more unlikely to do so (but maybe will pleasantly happy to see them do so)…. I’ve got a iTunes playlist of my most favorite African songs that I’ve been assembling over the years and listen to regularly (mostly Afrobeat, Afrofunk, or High-Life from 70s from Western Africa). A decent amount of my US list was US artists who borrowed some of the African influences; I gravitate a bit to the source too. As I already revealed my country-by-country, a handful did make my final 31. Soul Makossa and Sweet Mother were a couple that were in some iterations of my 31 that just missed in the end.

If you’ve never heard Soul Makossa, if you’ve heard Michael Jackson’s Wanna Be Starting Something or Rihanna’s Don’t Stop the Music, you might recognize it (Dibango sued both). It’s got a funky beat, that is a combo of brass and electric bass.

Sweet Mother is sometimes called Africa’s Anthem; it is one of the most popular songs in African music history. More in the High-Life genre — great guitar melody with the conga drum accompaniment. I put down for Nigeria, but Cameroon claims it too.
Soul Makossa definitely elicited a “damn, I should have thought of that” reaction when I saw it posted.

There are 31 Last Five Out songs that are by artists that appear on my list. There are two Last Five Out songs that are on my list.

I like this ...

25 artists that are in my top 31 appeared in the overall "last 5 out" list

11 artists that were in my "last - not 5 but 11 out" appeared in the overall "last 5 out" list
There are six Last Five Out songs by artists that appear on my list. There are zero Last Five Out songs that are on my list.

Reminder that playlists and links to the countdown posts will be in post #2 of this thread.
Also, another *reminder*. If you pick Neil Young (or other non-Spotify artists), and you want your own choice in the Spotify list please make sure you provide a proper Spotify link or you get my choice...and you'll like it :lmao:

I reached out by PM to everyone who had Neil Young and/or Joni Mitchell. Most responded and gave a cover, a couple said they didn't care what you chose, and a couple didn't respond. But I'll be including links in the daily posts for those who did choose.

I got lazy with countries in the Last 5 Out, but let's add those on, in the same fashion as the rest of my list
Give A Little Bit - Supertramp (UK band, US Drummer)
Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (Canadian)
Life During Wartime (Live) - Talking Heads (US band, UK singer)
Handle With Care - Traveling Wilburys (US/UK mix)
An Old Fashioned Love Song - Three Dog Night (US band, UK singer, Canadian drummer)

My Last 5 is thick with US/UK mixes that were partially to fully ineligible in both other lists. Some of these would normally rank higher, but I pushed them down to give my list a more international feel. However slightly.

Otherwise? I stuck The Weeknd here. Maybe I was afraid that you'd revoke my middle-aged license (my idiot license being never in danger) if I listed a song from 2020? That and still figuring out where that ranks. Oh, look, I took a Talking Heads song from Stop Making Sense. I bet that's the last time that happens >.>. And another Last 5 crossover, this time with Don Quixote! High 5!

Speaking of Crossover:
15 artists in common with Last 5 lists.
2 songs represented somewhere in these lists.

Additional fun listening: here's something you might not have heard before. When I started my list for this countdown, among the first bands that I listed were some EXTREMELY weird stuff I had found years ago on YouTube. Don't ask me how, but for some reason my random YouTube "Try these!" lists started including strange Finnish cover bands. After careful consideration, I decided not to include either of these, as I wanted mostly original material (there are exceptions, but the covers I've taken are by bands that DO have their own stuff as well). But this is fun stuff, I wanted to share it anyway, so I got Krista's confirmation nobody had actually taken either of these bands, and approval to trot them out. These may be best viewed after either a bong rip, or a tab of acid. Enjoy.

I'll take "Odd Finnish Cover Bands" for $100, Alex:

1st up, The Leningrad Cowboys (ft. the Red Army Choir) - Sweet Home Alabama. Part of the fun here is on the chorus watching a bunch of older Russian dudes try to pronounce "Alabama".

And no, I can't explain what's going on. Just go with it. They have other acid trips available (Delilah, Those Were the Days, American Woman,,,), this is just where the rabbit hole started for me.

OK, now "Odd Finnish Cover Bands" for $200, please:

Next, we have Steve 'N' Seagulls - Thunderstruck. This is apparently what happens in the backwoods of Finland after you've been snowbound for weeks, you start to think you're from Appalachia and it's time to do bluegrass covers of hard rock songs.

You have to wonder how bored you have to get after a snow storm to start doing bluegrass covers of things like Master of Puppets, Panama, or November Rain. Seriously.

The internet is a weird and wonderful place, as it keeps bringing me freaky stuff I would never even known existed back in the day. I really enjoy this sorta thing, hope you like it, too.

Last edited:
There are six Last Five Out songs by artists that appear on my list. There are zero Last Five Out songs that are on my list.

I think my taste must be sorta chalky. I have four songs on my list that were in the group Last Five Out, and four other artists in common but for different songs.
I suspect these lists will be the least chalky of all.

Three Dog Night (US band, UK singer, Canadian drummer)
Really? Darn. Would have had a high ranking song here. :kicksrock:

they were a legit powerhouse for a 4/5 year stretch - selling more platters than any artist or group on the planet during that stretch.
On another chat board Mrs. R and I read one of the other board members was Cory Wells, one of the singers of 3DN (until he passed away a few years ago). One of the most charming and genuine people it has ever been my pleasure to chat with online.

Users who are viewing this thread