What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

New-to-me favorites from #30:

Not Coping -- Clowns (Rockaction). Wiki says they are a punk band, but most punk bands don't do 9-minute songs with acoustic intros. This careens along for quite a thrill ride. I can hear some resemblance to ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, another band that is punk but not-punk.
Allah Wakbarr -- Ofo & The Black Company (Don Quixote). Incredible guitar work. Psychedelic AND funky.
Melpomene -- Kashmir (Marco). The rocking part is a bit like Radiohead, but the mellow part is something different. It conveys its atmospherics different from how Thom and co do.
Jazba-e-Junoon -- Junoon (DrIanMalcolm). Great dance rock -- sounds a bit like post-psychedelic but pre-Smooth Santana.
Untitled #4 -- Sigur Ros (Westerberg). Haunting.

My song yesterday was clearly foreign (Sodade). Today’s (Emmylou) could easily be mistaken for an American song. It’s country and references Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, Johnny Cash and June Carter but these sisters are from Sweden. They pass incredibly well for an American country duo out of Nashville, Asheville, Huntsville but were born and raised in Söderort.

Follow The Sun - that's a great driving or "pontoon boat at sundown" song.

I'd pair that with Windows Rolled Down by Amos Lee.

Yeah, there's a quick story to this pick which is pretty basic, very chill, and even kinda sappy (the song not the story). Ok, maybe both. So hippling back to daughter talk; mine started piano lessons at 5, guitar lessons at 13, a true music nerd who at 22 completed a double music major at UCLA. Home-based, accelerated, Covid-caused classes made this possible.

In 2016 she, just 15, "took" me to see Xavier Rudd and The United Nations. He's big in SoCal surf culture, a community we embrace. It was a really good concert I've posted a link to before. A pick with The United Nations (I think 9 countries were repped in that band) like Flag or Spirit Bird may have been more interesting for y'all musically cause Xavier blows didgeridoo (the worlds largest kazoo, btw) like an aboriginee, and the bass player, percussions and african back up singers were killers. But I went with Follow The Sun for sentimental reasons.

In 2020 The kid and a life long best friend and fellow music student with an incredible voice performed it at their (and my) HS alma mater's graduation ceremony. I didn't go because Covid (and maybe NBA playoffs). They did so with my kid on piano and her friend on violin. They also did Avett Bros Headful of Doubt/Road full of Promise. So I have this wonderful memory of them arranging this song in her bedroom for hours and hours. My mood's been pretty chill for a couple months. Seemed like a good spot for Xavier.

Not quite as much luck on the new-to-me songs today but still some solid favorites. I was surprised to find the Sting/Shaggy song enjoyable. Sting figured out how to do reggae much better than ol' Macca, and I'm not even talking about "Ob-La-Di," which is a Beethoven's Ninth-level masterpiece compared to "C Moon" and, I'm not even making this up, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae."

Where was I? Oh yeah, Sting did well, and I'm not a Sting fan.

The "All Tomorrow's Parties" cover was good/interesting, the Xavier Rudd song was cool, and the Of Monsters and Men song, "Mountain Sound" was right up my alley. Whom do they sound like? @Pip's Invitation , you're good at these comparisons. Maybe a little bit of Belle and Sebastian as well as Reindeer Section?

I also liked the Blood, Sweat and Tears song. I bet every state in the union has at least one salon called "Blood, Sweat and Shears," right?

My big winner of the day was "Emmylou" by First Aid Kit. OMG another female-led song that I loved?!

Oh, I guess I do know this Guess Who song. It's nice. I spent my childhood thinking that "Guess Who" were just some alternate band name for "The Who." But I was dumb kid, like AAABatteries's.
I remember a commercial that used to run hawking some greatest hits compilation. Similar in style to the K-Tel commercials.

“The Night Owls” has a bit of groove to it compared to many Little River songs (see also “Reminiscing”; “Cool Change”). That and a good history of overnight shifts in my youth made it resonate with me. Also, the 4 countries are UK, Australia, Netherlands and US, with two each of the first two for this album. I use the “4 countries/mostly Australian” label again later, with a bit thicker Aussie representation.

In other list news, it was really difficult to pick from the new-to-me songs. So much so that while in the past I've added an extra to favorites, this time I went one farther on my 'didn't know" list.

#30s
Recognized by title alone: 15
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 1 (see also below)
Didn't know: 23

Special Shout-Out: You’re Going Down (Andy Dufrense). I have basically no experience with Sick Puppies. I did, however, play roughly three dozen songs at random from the Last 5 Out, and this was one of them. So, yeah, welcome to the “knew from this countdown” category, even though we had no songs from the 31s today.

Selected Favorites:
Share The Land (timschochet)
Black Velvet (MAC_32)
Voices Carry (Doug B)
On The Loose (higgins) - I never would’ve thought of this song, but it’s a welcome flashback!

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Mountain Sound (shuke)
Melpomene (The Dreaded Marco)
Modern Nature (krista4)
Edge Of Town (Hov34)
All My Friends (KarmaPolice)

I'm probably not going to do a write-up of why I picked every song I picked (I'm feeling modest and less look-at-me these days) but Clowns's "Not Coping" was mentioned twice in a positive way so I'll just reiterate what Pip said in that it's a punk song that turns awfully soaringly metal and instrumental for a few minutes. The reintroduction of the lyrical part always gives me chills, as does the subject matter of the song, which is about their former friend's death. I can never tell whether they're giving him a punk kiss-off or really lamenting his or her loss when they say they're "not coping," because the slang of the Aussie youth ca. 2018 or so is foreign to me. (I know what coping is, I know what not coping is, but I don't know they way in which they're using it.)

Anyway, @Jaysus from the board introduced it to me, and he had the same reaction to it (chills) that I did and do.

Thanks for the shout-outs, RW and Pip!

10 favorites that I know from the 2 pointers. There wasn't anything I didn't like on the playlist.

Fantasy - This song reminds me so much of the early 80s.
Emmylou - I remember this duo showing up a time or two in Genrepalooza. They sound great together, and their music has a great vibe about it.
Thorn Tree in the Garden - Great song to end a great album.
Voices Carry - Hush hush, keep it down now, this is scary
Follow the Sun - I forget about this guy, and I always like his music.
Hi-De-Ho - 🎺 I've always loved the horns in this song. This was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin.
The Night Owls - I didn't realize LRB did this song.
Black is Black - Goldie oldie
The Confidence Man - I saw them open for Little Feat back in the 80s, and they were very good (especially Healey).
Fat Bottom Girls - Fun song

10 new to me favorites

Iblis Amghar
It Always Happens This Way
Modern Nature
Jazba-E-Junoon
Edge of Town
Untitled #4
You're Going Down
Not Coping
Argentina (Parts l, ll, lll)
Allah Wakbarr

Alright, thoughts/rationale for my last five out and my first three picks (won't mention the third in name but see no harms in detailing now)

#36 - Vienna - Ultravox - I couldn't really find a way to exclude this from something. Frankly I think Young Savage is a better track of theirs, but I wanted at least some sort of a shoutout to a record that was denied a number one here by the Joe Dolce Band
#35 - The Power - Snap - There's a fair bit of EDM in my selections, picking this one on account of I am an enormous darts fan and it is the walk on tune to the (second imo but most would disagree) greatest player ever, even if he's an enormous ****
#34 - Drinking in LA - Bran Van 3000 - Was just a great upbeat song when I was finishing school
#33 - Welcome to Jamrock - Damian Marley - Bob's kids did some good records too!
#32 - Around the World - Daft Punk - I'm sure I mentioned in the UK rundown that Daft Punk were in my top 3 artists I've seen live. I tried as much as I could to not duplicate artists in the top 31, couldn't really manage it, so put this in the top spot of the last out. Amazing tune, the entirety of Homework and Discovery have numerous tracks that I could easily have included anywhere in the top 31. They are that good, that people have been saying they've never even heard Get Lucky is partially astonishing, but then I realise I don't listen to any new music whatsoever unless I am randomly in a pub without a jukebox so it's understandable
#31 - Routainen Maa - Heikki Mustonen - This is a "use #31 for a quasi meme pick" selection, but I genuinely love the track. It comes from the soundtrack to My Summer Car, an open world video game set in 1995 Finland where you need to rebuild the entirety of a late 70's Datsun from the ground up, while trying not to die from lots and lots and lots of game mechanics that will cause you to do the exact same thing. The track selected is the song that plays as the outro when you game over. It's playable in game - albeit muffled if you've completed the car and haven't bought the aftermarket antennas for the car. Through mail order, because it's 1995. Or if you're listening to it through the boombox you have in your room. Assuming you have bought batteries for it. Because it's 1995. It's an incredibly detailed game which a lot of people here I think will get a kick out of, but in general the soundtrack to the game is pretty entertaining, it's set in the era and has quite a few decent tracks, I just went for the iconic one
#30 - Careless Whisper - Seether - Not sure quite where I heard this one. But I liked the cover, and they're eligible, so that is enough for me
#29 - COMING SOON - COMING SOON - This is a track I didn't notice at the time, but it was something I heard on a station on TuneIn frequently when I was at work just listening to old school dance tracks, and it sounded like the absolute perfect end of set record, was just such a peaceful tune. Eventually I got Shazam to work and found out what the record was, turns out that the producers in question are/were (one's sadly passed) from the same town as my favourite overseas football team.

Well. That's quite the album cover you've got there, Destination Calabria.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. The video for the song has the same, only more of it. Much, much more....

NSFW, just sayin'.

Was pleasantly surprised someone had Barcelona on their Top 5 out list. It holds up well. Freddie knew he had limited time left and pulled off an ambitious project. Spain was a difficult country to get, but I am happy with the result.
Of course I had this on my list. Queen is my favorite band. I really had to work to get their picks down to a reasonable number. I just couldn't squeeze this in. I'm glad you did.

Is it just me or are we getting good at this. So many songs I didn't know and I liked almost all of them - even some of the heavier stuff that isn't my cup of tea.

btw, 3 hours and 31 minutes for this playlist - has to be one of the longest we've had, right? (per song)

Unknown Favorites

Just Win Baby:
Fantasy - Aldo Nova (Missed this in the early 80's, probably because it was from America's Hat)

Don Quixote: Allah Wakbarr - Ofo & The Black Company

The Dreaded Marco: Melpomene

Mister CIA: Wake Me - Rusty - Canada

krista4: Modern Nature - Sondre Lerche (Happy song - He is from the town in Norway where our exchange student was from - Bergen!)

landryshat: It Always Happens This Way - Toulouse (My year of French in HS did me no good, but I still enjoyed the song)

Eephus: Argentina (Parts I, II, III) - Tokyo Police Club (had a couple of TPC songs on my long list, need to explore them more )

zamboni: Black Is Black - Los Bravos (Really need to explore this group more - told this to myself when I heard them in the Tarintino movie, 2nd warning...)

Oliver Humanzee: Iblis Amghar - Mdou Moctar (enjoyed this more than I thought I would )

Chaos34: Follow The Sun - Xavier Rudd (lovely, could have used more didgeridoo though)

Known Favs

Ilov80s:
Emmylou - First Aid Kit

Mt. Man: The Night Owls - Little River Band

simey: Dancing Queen - ABBA (will bump ABBA anytime)

New Binky the Doormat: Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

jwb: Get It On (Bang A Gong) - The Power Station ♥️

Manster: Working Man - Rush (such a great opening, even if you aren't a Rush fan you have to like at least the first minute or so of this song, right?)

KarmaPolice: All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem

AAABatteries: Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (was in my top 3 Zanzibar songs)

Not quite as much luck on the new-to-me songs today but still some solid favorites. I was surprised to find the Sting/Shaggy song enjoyable. Sting figured out how to do reggae much better than ol' Macca, and I'm not even talking about "Ob-La-Di," which is a Beethoven's Ninth-level masterpiece compared to "C Moon" and, I'm not even making this up, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae."

Where was I? Oh yeah, Sting did well, and I'm not a Sting fan.

The "All Tomorrow's Parties" cover was good/interesting, the Xavier Rudd song was cool, and the Of Monsters and Men song, "Mountain Sound" was right up my alley. Whom do they sound like? @Pip's Invitation , you're good at these comparisons. Maybe a little bit of Belle and Sebastian as well as Reindeer Section?

I also liked the Blood, Sweat and Tears song. I bet every state in the union has at least one salon called "Blood, Sweat and Shears," right?

My big winner of the day was "Emmylou" by First Aid Kit. OMG another female-led song that I loved?!
Belle and Sebastian is as good a comparison as any.

Ween’s keyboardist Glenn McClellan has also played with Blood, Sweat and Tears on and off since 1987. Hard to think of two gigs that could be any different than those.

Last edited:
Known Favorites

For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) - AC/DC (Pip’s Invitation) - helped by the fact that it's played as the Eagles' walk out music at the Linc (the Philadelphia Eagles, obvs)
Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone (worrierking) - obligatory Xavier McDaniel clip
Dancing Queen - ABBA (simey)
Black Velvet - Alannah Myles (MAC_32)
Get It On (Bang A Gong) - The Power Station (jwb)
Voices Carry - ‘Til Tuesday (Doug B)
All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem (KarmaPolice) - I had an LCD Soundsystem song on my original list but could never figure out which iterations of the group would qualify
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen (AAA Batteries)

New To Me Favorites

Jazba-e-Junoon - Junoon (DrIanMalcolm)
Melpomene - Kashmir (The Dreaded Marco)
Stormy Monday - Stoned Jesus (Raging weasel)
Emmylou - First Aid Kit (llov80s) - this one was extra special
Modern Nature - Sondre Lerche (krista4)
Not Coping - Clowns (rockaction)
Argentina (Parts I, II, III) - Tokyo Police Club (Eephus)
Edge Of Town - Middle Kids (Hov34)

Unsure Favorite

I Can't Break Away - Big Pig (Mrs. Rannous) - When I was 15, I bought a (the?) Big Pig CD based on a review in Spin or RS. Within two weeks, it became the first CD I ever traded in. I don't know if this song was on it, but if so, I didn't like it at all back in 1988. Obviously, I was wrong.

Seriously......who's never heard of Bob Marley?
The medical profession keeps people real busy.
Yea, but you gotta be living under a rock to not know who Bob Marley is.

I feel confident that at least one or more of my kids would have no clue who he is.
How old are ur kids?

Got four and the older three I imagine would know - I’m thinking the 14 year old wouldn’t know.

scorchy:

All Tomorrow's Parties - Apoptygma Berzerk - Norway, Denmark

When I decided that 1/3 or so of my choices were going to come from my beloved industrial/electro past, Apoptygma Berzerk was a surefire pick. Unlike a lot of the super-aggro/distorted bands that populate the genre, APOP helped usher in melody. Normally, my pick would have been a different song (Love Never Dies Pt. 1)* that blew up hugely in the Philly goth clubs in '96/'97, but the spotify version was ruined by a lawsuit over the sampling of Carmina Burana 'O Fortuna.' The first comment in the youtube link (which contains this original version) nails it:

This song shook the goth nation.. Has an incredible hook that will keep you up all night and follow you to work the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I think the All Tomorrow's Parties cover is pretty great too, and it seems apropos that it's from a Norwegian/Danish group. I heard more Velvet Underground played in public during three weeks in Scandinavia than I have in 50 years in the States. I mean, VU was everywhere, from street festivals to coffee shops, to grocery stores, not to mention covered by two different bands. I can't hear them now without thinking about fjords.

* Note to Management: if I'm spotlighting b/c someone picked Love Never Dies by APOP, just let me know and I'll happily delete. :-)

I crushed on her badly back in 1989.
Yeah she's a bad ***. Looks dangerous.
She is (was?) quite dangerous (and beautiful). I saw her in concert opening for Peter Frampton. She was quite good, but the jamokes up near the stage ONLY wanted to hear Black Velvet. So after every song there were chants of "Black Velvet!, Sing Black Velvet!". She would kinda smile and nod and sing the next Not BV song. After each one though the audience got more impatient and she got more annoyed. So after like the 4th or 5th time she'd had enough and launched into a minutes long, profanity laced tirade about singing what she wanted to sing. Then sang one more screw you, I'll do it MY way song and then finally for the Finale, BV. Then, the audience appeased, left the stage with a smile. Like she'd had a grand old time.

She is (was?) quite dangerous (and beautiful). I saw her in concert opening for Peter Frampton. She was quite good, but the jamokes up near the stage ONLY wanted to hear Black Velvet. So after every song there were chants of "Black Velvet!, Sing Black Velvet!". She would kinda smile and nod and sing the next Not BV song. After each one though the audience got more impatient and she got more annoyed. So after like the 4th or 5th time she'd had enough and launched into a minutes long, profanity laced tirade about singing what she wanted to sing. Then sang one more screw you, I'll do it MY way song and then finally for the Finale, BV. Then, the audience appeased, left the stage with a smile. Like she'd had a grand old time.
But I’m sure she said “soarry” after the tirade.

I would have asked her to play Freebird.

Users who are viewing this thread