What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Heres what i will talk about today. In order
On the point of Uptown Funk being one of the two most known track from the 10s. I would like to add Bad Romance and Blinding Lights to the list. Uptown Funk is killer though
Blinding Lights would be the most recognized songs of the 2020s. That came out right before the pandemic.

Adding to the list of songs (almost) everyone knows from 2010s, I would add Happy, Rolling in the Deep and I Got a Feeling.

Iceland has a few artists to choose from, but to me it always has to be the Sugarcubes. Surprised at the track chosen, but typical Bjork eccenticities abound.
I'm not the biggest Sugarcubes fan, if only because I haven't delved as deep as I should have. I picked "Leash Called Love" because that pulsating beat has always resonated with me and love Bjork's vocals here. Kind of a
Bow Wow Wow
rhythm.

Iceland has a few artists to choose from, but to me it always has to be the Sugarcubes. Surprised at the track chosen, but typical Bjork eccenticities abound.
I'm not the biggest Sugarcubes fan, if only because I haven't delved as deep as I should have. I picked "Leash Called Love" because that pulsating beat has always resonated with me and love Bjork's vocals here.

she's no Hoffs, but damn close

❤️🏴‍☠️❤️
She does have an oddly alluring quality to her.

I'm not the biggest Sugarcubes fan, if only because I haven't delved as deep as I should have. I picked "Leash Called Love" because that pulsating beat has always resonated with me and love Bjork's vocals here.

she's no Hoffs, but damn close

❤️🏴‍☠️❤️
She does have an oddly alluring quality to her.

it loooks like a sihh-tee, a little model of a sihhh-tee ...

Blinding Lights would be the most recognized songs of the 2020s.
Now that one I don’t know by title. Will try it out later to see if I’ve heard it passively.
Didn't know by title or after giving it a listen.
Blinding Lights seems to be as ubiquitous - if not more - than the three previous mentioned between commercials and the Super Bowl, Really dig the tune - has a real '80s vibe to it.

10 favorites I know from the 3 pointers. There are more than 10 that I know and like.

Turn Me Loose - The intro sucks me in right away.
Every 1's A Winner - There is so much to like about this song.
Synchronicity ll - Reminds me of riding in the car with friends in the summer of '85. The usual driver always played either Synchronicity or Speaking in Tongues.
Little Green Bag - Good song to use the egg shaker with.
I Saw Her Again - Heavenly harmonies.
Ode to L.A. - I dig this band.
Lunatic Fringe - How 'bout the intro on this song!
No One Like You - 🎸
Hate to Say I Told You So - 🎸

*Uptown Funk has always reminded me of a song that would be by The Time.
* I like most anything by INXS.

10 favorites I didn't know

Pink Chill
Headsick
Fencewalk
The wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald cover
Because I'm Me
Help I'm Alive
Broken Strings
Mother Mother
Easy
The Harry Lime Theme

Last edited:
Now that one I don’t know by title. Will try it out later to see if I’ve heard it passively.
Did you watch the Super Bowl a couple of years ago?
No -- I've only caught the Super Bowl intermittently over the last several years. I looked up which one The Weeknd performed at ... TB-KC was one I didn't watch.

OK, listened to "Blinding Lights".

I think I've heard it, but that "oh yeah!" ring of familiarity never happened while listening. I don't know any Weeknd songs by title but there are at least two or three others that I've heard enough to sound familiar upon listening (though I can't call any of them to mind now -- if I experience it passively, modern pop really doesn't sink in for me -- which is not a statement about the music's quality. I'm not sure what's up).

To me ... I've heard it "Feel It Still" 1,000 times for every time I've (probably) heard "Blinding Lights" :shrug:

EDIT: "Can't Feel My Face" -- that's one Weeknd song I know by title.

New-to-me favorites from #29:

Wombo Lombo -- Angelique Kidjo (DrIanMalcolm). So much fun.
Mother Mother -- Fat Freddy’s Drop (Chaos34). Funky and spacey, I would let this swirl around in my head for days.
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald -- Headstones (Val Rannous). Joining the chorus on this one. It works much better at a faster tempo.
Leash Called Love -- The Sugarcubes (Zamboni). I may have heard this one before, but the only Sugarcubes songs I know that I know by title are Birthday and Motorcrash. All of the best Bjorkisms are here, and the band provides strong, interesting backing.

Four-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Mainland - The Real McKenzies (Canada)
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

The Logical Song - Supertramp (American, English, and Scottish band members)
(new song)

(special shout-out to @Just Win Baby for the Oxford comma :wub: )

Pip’s Invitation:

Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Believe - Franka Potente
(new artist)

(not available on Spotify)

DrIanMalcolm:

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie (Tanzania/UK)
(Queen - new song; Bowie - new artist)

Don Quixote:

Canção Pra Você Viver Mais - Pato Fu (Brazil)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

The One Thing - INXS (Australia)
(new song)

scorchy:

The Show - Doug E. Fresh - Barbados, UK
(new artist)

(officially attribution includes the Get Fresh Crew, but I'm shortening to Doug E. Fresh under the "Bob Marley Rule")

shuke:

Synchronicity II - The Police …...........American/English
(duplicate - second vote)

Sullie:

Detroit Rock City - KISS - Part of Gene Simmon's tongue came from Israel
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Solitude Is Bliss - Tame Impala
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

Mister CIA:

Pasión Oriental - Los Destellos - Peru
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Lay It On Me - Vance Joy
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Royals - Lorde - New Zealand (NZ version)
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Your Teeth In My Neck - Scientist (Jamaican)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Today - The Re-Stoned - Russia
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

Party Police - Alvvays
(new artist)

worrierking:

The Boys In The Better Land - Fontaines D.C. - Carlos O'Connell from Spain
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Xanadu - Dream Theater - Canada, US
(new artist)

krista4:

Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones (the Tommy thing)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band - Canadian band
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

Fidelity - Regina Spektor - Russia
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Death Or Glory - Motörhead (Mikkey Dee - Sweden)
(new artist)

simey:

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominos (England, USA)
(new song)

rockaction:

Pretender - Hanoi Rocks (Finland)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Lemons Never Forget - The Bee Gees - falls within releases with Vince Melouney, Geoff Bridgford, or Colin Petersen (all Australia)
(new artist)

landryshat:

Fantastic Man - William Onyeabor (Nigeria)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Mississippi - Pussycat - Netherlands
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Cannonball - The Breeders - Ineligible in US countdown for reasons I did not vet
(new artist)

jwb:

Hells Bells - AC/DC
(new song)

Eephus:

When You're Gone - Bryan Adams; Melanie C
(both new artists)

Hov34:

I'll Call You Mine - girl in red
(new artist)

Manster:

Gunslingers Glory - The Dead South
(new song)

simsarge:

Rivers Of Babylon - Bony M - Any group that has a lead singer sporting buck sergeant stripes on a gold Statue of Liberty hat is good to go in my book.
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

C'est La Vie - Khaled
(new artist)

Doug B:

Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango
(new artist)

westerberg:

Emmylou - First Aid Kit
(duplicate - second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Radio Head - Talking Heads
(new artist)

higgins:

Watching The Wheels - John Lennon and Yoko Ono (assorted others who made it ineligible in the previous drafts / mix)
(new artist)

zamboni:

Draw Your Brakes - Scotty (Jamaica)
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Call Me - Blondie
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Anything Could Happen - The Clean
(new song)

Chaos34:

Elephant - Tame Impala
(second song from this new artist today)

AAABatteries:

No Time - The Guess Who
(new song)

Answers to last night's teasers:

Quick scan of tomorrow's picks shows some more love for the ALL CAPS crews, but which ones? KISS, AC/DC and (AND!) INXS We also start to get some double votes for more songs, Synchronicity II, Emmylou) which history tells me people will over-emphasize to think they're gonna pull off big upsets. So another reminder...in most instances you don't really want your favorite songs and artists coming up yet.

We'll also have a double-up of an artist that's having their first appearance on the countdown. Tame Impala And four points to one of the Ace Award guesses, this time without the song being simultaneously knocked out of the competition! “Under Pressure” – David Bowie

Even though Olivia Newton-John wasn't eligible here, we'll have her on our minds. Xanadu, by Dream Theater (not a cover!) Tomorrow also will include my favorite Sullie commentary so far. KISS is eligible because “Part of Gene Simmon's tongue came from Israel”

Finally, one of the following will make an appearance:

8. Where In the World ARE the Middle-Aged Dummies?

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

worrierking:

The Boys In The Better Land - Fontaines D.C. - Carlos O'Connell from Spain
(new artist)

My 4-point pick is my favorite song from Fontaines DC, an Irish outfit with a spanish member. I don't really know that much about the group except they are high energy rock and they kept appearing on various mixes on Spotify and Pandora a few years ago. This one is infectious. Enjoy.

Blondie qualifies for this list because of Nigel Harrison, I'm guessing. Is there a more English name than Nigel Harrison? I consider Call Me to be the first, great "80's" song. It's the line of demarcation between 70's disco and 80's rock. Great, great song.

Watching The Wheels is a Lennon song I can actually get behind. If I thought about it, it would be considered for my favorite Beatles related song.

Detroit Rock City IS my favorite KISS song - the list isn't long.

The One Thing is a top 3 INXS song - which in my opinion says a lot.

Perhaps surprisingly, I like Royals. I think it's good commentary.

SPOTTY NON-PREEMY

just hit playlist, cannot skip - it plays on shuffle, etc ... ehhhhrrr

anywhoooo, C'est la vie is first out the gate - LOVE THIS.

it's a right stomper, a COTdamn explosion of joy and exuberance - this is the kinda stuff i would never seek out, nor expose myself to ... but it's just wrapping up as i type, and i want that effin' REPLAY button back so bad 😵‍💫

As I mentioned earlier, Today- The Re-Stoned is not my favorite by this band. I went with this one for a couple reasons - 1) It's the best of their 2-3 songs that have vocals and not everyone likes instrumentals. 2) it's a cover(Jefferson Airplane) that some may be familiar with but over 3 times longer.
I listen to these guys alot while working so I don't accidentally get caught singing along - no one wants that. If you like instrumental space rock or something to listen to after too many edibles give 1 of their 14(since 2017 :eek: ) EPs a listen. My favs are their debut,Analog and Stories of the Astral Lizard. I took one from each of these in the G4 draft.

Going to be a bit behind on my listening today, heading to armed shooter response training and then running errands after.

Detroit Rock City! Hell yea! This almost made my list....so good!

Moving fast, down 95
Hit top speed, but I'm still moving much too slo-oww
I feel so good, I'm so alive!
Hear my song playin' on the radio-o!
It goes....
Get up!
Everybody's gonna move their feet...
Get down!
Everybody's gonna leave their seat!

As I mentioned earlier, Today- The Re-Stoned is not my favorite by this band. I went with this one for a couple reasons - 1) It's the best of their 2-3 songs that have vocals and not everyone likes instrumentals. 2) it's a cover(Jefferson Airplane) that some may be familiar with but over 3 times longer.
I listen to these guys alot while working so I don't accidentally get caught singing along - no one wants that. If you like instrumental space rock or something to listen to after too many edibles give 1 of their 14(since 2017 :eek: ) EPs a listen. My favs are their debut,Analog and Stories of the Astral Lizard. I took one from each of these in the G4 draft.

Going to be a bit behind on my listening today, heading to armed shooter response training and then running errands after.
I'm not familiar with these guys, but going by your taste, and what you've said about them, I'm betting I will dig em

Dr. Octopus:

The One Thing - INXS (Australia)
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Royals - Lorde - New Zealand (NZ version)
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Cannonball - The Breeders - Ineligible in US countdown for reasons I did not vet
(new artist)

Doug B:

Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Call Me - Blondie
(new artist)

All of these are in the D'OH! I should have thought of that! category.

FYI @MAC_32 the Breeders were ineligible for the US version because bassist Josephine Wiggs is British.

Last edited:
Edit because I missed The Band:

There are 16 songs not counting my own that I knew today.

Known-to-me favorites from #28:

Cannonball -- The Breeders (MAC 32)
The One Thing -- INXS (Doc Oc)
Call Me -- Blondie (Zegras11)
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down -- The Band (Mt. Man)
Soul Makossa -- Manu Dibango (Doug B)
Under Pressure -- Queen and David Bowie (DrIanMalcolm)
Royals -- Lorde (Mrs. Rannous)
No Time -- The Guess Who (AAABatteries)
Detroit Rock City -- KISS (Sullie)
Watching the Wheels -- John Lennon and Yoko Ono (Higgins)
Blitzkrieg Bop -- The Ramones (Krista4)
Bell Bottom Blues -- Derek and the Dominos (Simey)

Last edited:
Lots of great known-to-me on the list. Particular shout-outs to Soul Makossa (on my last 5 out) and William Onyeabor (referred another of his songs to JML recently for his 1977 Part II thread). Royals, Watching the Wheels, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down a few others on quick scan. Look forward to listening through it and the new to me’s.

On mine today:
Don Quixote:

(new artist)

When I started this exercise, this song was a bit further down my long list, but it kept creeping up as I kept listening through my playlist and making tweaks. I think if I was a teen growing up in the 90s in Brazil instead of the US, I’d probably be wearing a Pato Fu shirt on a regular basis (and, I guess, posting at something like “futebolguys” instead of here). One of Brazil’s versions of an 90s alt-rock band, but borrowing some elements from Brazil music history.

The melody of this one just brings me in, as well as the vocals. The song title translates to a “Song for You to Live Longer,” and was written while the singer’s father was dying of cancer. I think it stuck with me, as I could feel something like that even before plugging the title or lyrics into Google translate.

Last edited:
On mine today:
Don Quixote:

(new artist)

When I started this exercise, this song was a bit further down my long list, but it keep creeping up as I kept listening through my playlist and making tweaks. I think if I was a teen growing up in the 90s in Brazil instead of the US, I’d probably be wearing a Pato Fu shirt on a regular basis (and, I guess, posting at something like “futebolguys” instead of here). One of Brazil’s versions of an 90s alt-rock band, but borrowing some elements from Brazil music history.

The melody of this one just brings me in, as well as the vocals. The song title translates to a “A Song for You to Live Longer,” and was written while the singer’s father was dying of cancer. I think it stuck with me, as I could feel something like that even before plugging the title or lyrics into Google translate.
This song made be feel good. It's hearted.

Users who are viewing this thread