What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

The melody of this one just brings me in, as well as the vocals. The song title translates to a “A Song for You to Live Longer,” and was written while the singer’s father was dying of cancer. I think it stuck with me, as I could feel something like that even before plugging the title or lyrics into Google translate.

I'm eager to listen to this one. One of my top songs is in Spanish. I feel like I've always understood what the song was about due to its feel, and only a month or so ago did I first translate the lyrics.

Good stuff today

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie - So so good.
The One Thing - INXS (Australia) - Probably my favorite from them.
Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominos (England, USA) - In a "Don't know My Sweet Lord / Uptown Funk" vein, I was surprised to see Layla picked for an Ace award. Because this is a superb song.
Call Me - Blondie - almost picked this. Love it. Like someone else mentioned, it kind of helped usher out Disco.
C'est La Vie - Khaled - New to me and super fun.
Cannonball - The Breeders - Before every song everywhere was online, I searched and searched for the title of this song. It drove me nuts for a long time.

Last edited:
Synchronicity II is such a weird ### song. Those changes really shouldn't work but they do. It's a song that fascinates me in that way. I put into my list early kind of expecting that I'd take it out at some point but it stayed the whole way through.

I was wondering if someone else would take First Aid Kit. Great tune that gets many listens in our home.

I was just alerted to an error in today's playlist. The version of "Xanadu" should be this cover from Dream Theater, not the original from Rush.

@Hawks64 is out of pocket today, so it might not be fixed for a while and you'll need to do your own substituting. :)
I will happily listen to both. I'm guessing Eephus won't.
The Dream Theater version is very similar to the Rush version. I would rate them pretty much identically. Some will appreciate that the Dream Theater version has no Geddy Lee vocals, but the Dream Theater singer's vocals aren't exactly conventional either.

Blondie qualifies for this list because of Nigel Harrison, I'm guessing. Is there a more English name than Nigel Harrison?

Well we do have a TV channel here called Dave on account of everyone knowing someone called Dave, so Dave Smith perhaps?

Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

This is my #1 Marley

Same. Bit of a whoopsie for me to omit him from the contest despite having taken more than one reggae track in the 36 (including from his family lol)

Anyway today is a second track on my list directly inspired from video games, albeit it's one used on the radio in GTA3 rather than being directly written for the game itself. Scientist seemingly dealt in nothing but concept albums and the reggae station in the game had nothing on it but half of one of them, have gone for my favourite from it

I was just alerted to an error in today's playlist. The version of "Xanadu" should be this cover from Dream Theater, not the original from Rush.

@Hawks64 is out of pocket today, so it might not be fixed for a while and you'll need to do your own substituting. :)
The Dream Theater version is very similar to the Rush version. I would rate them pretty much identically. Some will appreciate that the Dream Theater version has no Geddy Lee vocals, but the Dream Theater singer's vocals aren't exactly conventional either.

Thanks for listening to them both so that I don't have to. :lol:

It seems that the mix-up in the playlist was that @Val Rannous sent that particular link, which was what I put in the post and Hawks used for the playlist, but indicated he wanted the Dream Theater version. Val, could you please clarify which one you intend to have on your list?

Blondie qualifies for this list because of Nigel Harrison, I'm guessing. Is there a more English name than Nigel Harrison?

Well we do have a TV channel here called Dave on account of everyone knowing someone called Dave, so Dave Smith perhaps?
There are lots of Americans named Dave, though. What makes Nigel so "British" to us is that no one over here names their kid that, so the only time we hear it is when a British guy is mentioned. Same with Simon, to a lesser extent.

It seems that the mix-up in the playlist was that @Val Rannous sent that particular link, which was what I put in the post and Hawks used for the playlist, but indicated he wanted the Dream Theater version. Val, could you please clarify which one you intend to have on your list?
Knowing your tastes, you would have noped out of both within 30 seconds. :laugh:

Don't think I'm spotlighting by posting a link to their KEXP session.

Oddly I did use to listen to KEXP a lot while I was at uni, probably first came across them while I was looking for stations doing John Peel tribute shows in the immediate aftermath of his passing and that they were way ahead of the schedule in terms of internet streaming saw them pop up. That, and listening to breakfast shows that started at 2pm local was a novelty. Think at least one song I picked in this list I first heard on there

There are lots of Americans named Dave, though. What makes Nigel so "British" to us is that no one over here names their kid that, so the only time we hear it is when a British guy is mentioned. Same with Simon, to a lesser extent.

Oliver is pretty Britty, too

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I just went back and checked - I sent the Dream Theater cover link, not the Rush original.:

This was selected for a specific reason - I thought some people around here could use some more Rush in their lives, and maybe if the track didn't SAY Rush on it, they would listen to it with open ears and get much needed exposure, only to find out later that it's classic Rush. Surprise!!!

:headbang: :headbang: :excited:

Last edited:
This has been a mostly great mix today, but special shoutout to Gunslinger's Glory. Not sure I'll get through the rest before quitting time, but good luck other newbies one upping that one.
I was introduced to the Dead South a few years back when my buddy posted a video of "In Hell I'll be in Good Company" on FB. I was blown away. I immediately binged. I thought to myself...."if I could create the perfect bluegrass/outlaw country band it would be the Dead South.....even though they are from the Great White North."

I feel like they are good enough to attract folks who aren't big country/bluegrass fans. I haven't seen em live, but the live stuff I heard is good. I bet they put on an entertaining show.

Oliver is pretty Britty, too

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

According to Mrs. R, "Benedict Cumberbatch" wins.

This has been a mostly great mix today, but special shoutout to Gunslinger's Glory. Not sure I'll get through the rest before quitting time, but good luck other newbies one upping that one.
I was introduced to the Dead South a few years back when my buddy posted a video of "In Hell I'll be in Good Company" on FB. I was blown away. I immediately binged. I thought to myself...."if I could create the perfect bluegrass/outlaw country band it would be the Dead South.....even though they are from the Great White North."

I feel like they are good enough to attract folks who aren't big country/bluegrass fans. I haven't seen em live, but the live stuff I heard is good. I bet they put on an entertaining show.
Well, they're 2 for 2 in my ears and we're only 4 days deep. May need to binge when this is over.

I just went back and checked - I sent the Dream Theater cover link, not the Rush original.:

This was selected for a specific reason - I thought some people around here could use some more Rush in their lives, and maybe if the track didn't SAY Rush on it, they would listen to it with open ears and get much needed exposure, only to find out later that it's classic Rush. Surprise!!!

Sigh. I thought you'd sent the wrong link because @Hawks64 told me he just copied what I had posted, and Management. has faith in its Staff. I see that what I posted this morning is indeed the correct link (which you sent me), so I don't know what happened nor do I care to post again about it. :lmao: Apologies for unjustly accusing you.

EVERYONE, VAL DID NOT CHOOSE RUSH (YET).

Last edited:
  • Tim coming out hard with Mainland, killer jam
  • Los Destellos is my speed
  • Scientist and Scotty are great picks, I wish had dug a little deeper into reggae for my list
  • Fontaines D.C. are the 2nd best rock out there IMO
  • I always forget how good the early Bee Gees era stuff was, lots of Beatles and Floyd vibes
  • Fantastic Man is indeed Fantastic
  • Pussycat wins for best album cover, hands down
  • Didn't realize girl in red for a Euro, she makes some great stuff that blends pop-rock-dance
  • Gunslinger's Glory got a lot of positive response and it lived up to the hype, a quick like from me
My winner this round is...Anything Could Happen by The Clean, loving that sweet Dunedin sound

Sigh. I thought you'd sent the wrong link because @Hawks64 told me he just copied what I had posted, and Management. has faith its Staff. I see that what I posted this morning is indeed the correct link (which you sent me), so I don't know what happened nor do I care to post again about it. :lmao: Apologies for unjustly accusing you.

EVERYONE, VAL DID NOT CHOOSE RUSH (YET).
Ok, I was really confused when listening to the playlist and doing my spreadsheet. I saw Rush come up on Spotify but couldn't find it on the spreadsheet.

I listened to both versions and liked Rush's better. The Dream Theater version had a more modern sounding production but didn't add much of anything to the original. The best part of both songs was the 4 1/2 minutes of intro.

My top 5 from the 4 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. Dr. Octopus: The One Thing - INXS
  2. DrIanMalcolm: Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie
  3. shuke: Synchronicity II - The Police
  4. simey: Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominos
  5. Zegras11: Call Me - Blondie
This was a weaker round for my taste than the previous rounds, at least without listening to the songs I don't know.

Between XanaduGate and real work today, I forgot to post about my pick, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Ramones. It's not their best song but one of those that sounds most Ramones-y to me, plus I get a huge smile every time I hear the way they say the word "bop." It's like they somehow shorten a one-syllable, three-letter word even more. Anyway, just a fun one for me.

Oh yeah, my pick

Party Police is certainly not the most popular song by Alvvays. Maybe if I consider this exercise as most importantly a way to learn about new music and share new music with others, I should have chosen a more easily enjoyable song by Alvvays. It’s minor key sadness but still catchy hook works for me so I stuck with my favorite Alvvays song.

Known Favorites

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie (DrIanMalcolm)
The One Thing - INXS (Dr. Octopus)
Royals - Lorde (Mrs. Rannous)
The Boys In The Better Land - Fontaines D.C. (worrierking)
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones (krista4)
Fidelity - Regina Spektor (JMLs secret identity) - ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ This is one of my go-tos for auditioning speakers. Her voice is so expressive and the recording is perfect - you can hear every breath, swallow, and sibilant - plus the intro has a huge bottom end to give the woofers a workout. Just missed my cut but shouldn't have.
Cannonball - The Breeders (MAC_32) - my old rabbit Beaker loved this song.
Call Me - Blondie (Zegras11) - We watched American Gigolo (the old movie, not the recent TV show) a few weeks back. The many uses of Call Me was the most memorable thing about it, and that includes Richard Gere's side d*ck.

New to Me Favorites

Party Police - Alvvays (Ilov80s)
Lemons Never Forget - The Bee Gees (New Binky the Doormat)
Mississippi - Pussycat - Netherlands (John Maddens Lunchbox)
When You're Gone - Bryan Adams; Melanie C (Eephus) - I had no plans to like this song but somehow it won me over.
Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango (Doug B)
Watching The Wheels - John Lennon and Yoko Ono (higgins)
Anything Could Happen - The Clean (Oliver Humanzee) - The Clean is two for two. Time for a deeper dive.

Previous Callouts

Synchronicity II - The Police (shuke)
Emmylou - First Aid Kit (westerberg)

Unsure Favorite

Because I'm Me - The Avalanches (rockaction) - If I ever heard this song before, it's because an infamous FFA thumper rule violator wrote about my choice of Metallica's "One":

What a ####### terrible song. Like a ####ty version of the Avalanches. This song shouldn't be on the list let alone #4. Horrible choice.
My gb rockaction leapt to my defense while also filling me in on the Avalanches. Can't remember if this is one of the songs he recommended (likely so), but it's great, even though it sounds nothing like Metallica.

Thanks, GB. Didn't get to this yesterday because I was sitting in medical facilities all day with an out-of-joint shoulder, but I remember this.

Today I wandered into a gas station. They were playing Bon Jovi. I cursed my luck. But -- aha! -- two second after cursing my luck the strains of Slash's guitar work from Sweet Child O' Mine came on and I almost stayed in the store for the song alone.

Which leads me to my first five out. I decided not to go with any overt U.S./U.K. groups except for in my first five out, and even then I missed Jimi and the Wonders. Not sure what I was thinking. But I sure made it an imperative to have Guns N' Roses there. That sort of music, along with punk, was the music of my youth. Appetite is such a bomb of an album. It's a wonder it got made and was distributed. It would never see the light of day today.

Beaker :wub: (no, I didn't know Beaker, but I know I would love a rabbit named Beaker)
Call Me - Blondie (Zegras11) - We watched American Gigolo (the old movie, not the recent TV show) a few weeks back. The many uses of Call Me was the most memorable thing about it, and that includes Richard Gere's side d*ck.
:lmao:

scorchy:

The Show - Doug E. Fresh - Barbados, UK

The Show was my first favorite rap song. Even on Friday nights at Skateland (de facto white people night - more on that next week) the DJ would play some funk and rap, so I had heard and liked Whodini, Newcleus, Sugar Hill Gang, etc. Maybe it was the Inspector Gadget sample, maybe it was the Human Beat Box, or maybe it was Slick Rick, but The Show spoke to me. Immediately after the DJ played it the first time, I skated over to Shooter* the floor guard (who led all the skate/dances) and asked him what the heck that song was. Bought the 12" at the mall the next day. I wish I could say I still had it because the original versions feature Slick Rick jokingly singing the Beatles' Michelle after the "My name is Maggie but call me Michelle" line. I guess SIr Paul's lawyers got involved, b/c future pressings dropped it.

Shooter died last year at the age of 71. His tribute page on FB was a freaking testament - literally hundreds upon hundreds of fellow Eastern Shore peeps sharing their favorite memories of a roller skating legend.

Between XanaduGate and real work today, I forgot to post about my pick, "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Ramones. It's not their best song but one of those that sounds most Ramones-y to me, plus I get a huge smile every time I hear the way they say the word "bop." It's like they somehow shorten a one-syllable, three-letter word even more. Anyway, just a fun one for me.
Bup

Known Favorites

Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie (DrIanMalcolm)
The One Thing - INXS (Dr. Octopus)
Royals - Lorde (Mrs. Rannous)
The Boys In The Better Land - Fontaines D.C. (worrierking)
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones (krista4)
Fidelity - Regina Spektor (JMLs secret identity) - ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ This is one of my go-tos for auditioning speakers. Her voice is so expressive and the recording is perfect - you can hear every breath, swallow, and sibilant - plus the intro has a huge bottom end to give the woofers a workout. Just missed my cut but shouldn't have.

New to Me Favorites

Party Police - Alvvays (Ilov80s)
Lemons Never Forget - The Bee Gees (New Binky the Doormat)
Mississippi - Pussycat - Netherlands (John Maddens Lunchbox)
When You're Gone - Bryan Adams; Melanie C (Eephus) - I had no plans to like this song but somehow it won me over.
Soul Makossa - Manu Dibango (Doug B)
Watching The Wheels - John Lennon and Yoko Ono (higgins)
Anything Could Happen - The Clean (Oliver Humanzee) - The Clean is two for two. Time for a deeper dive.

Previous Callouts

Synchronicity II - The Police (shuke)
Emmylou - First Aid Kit (westerberg)
First you didn’t know My Sweet Lord and now you don’t know Watching the Wheels? Did your parents ban Beatles music in the house?

Users who are viewing this thread