What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

New-to-me favorites from #20:

Della Brown -- Queensryche (Higgins). I really like the vibe of this one. Four Queensryche songs and nothing from Operation Mindcrime yet, hmmmm...
Bye Bye Pride -- The Go-Betweens (OH). Memorable melody and interesting arrangement.
Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise -- The Avett Brothers (Worrierking). I might have seen this performed live because I saw them open for Wilco when the album this comes from was current. It's a heart-rending ballad.
Play Dead -- Bjork (Titusbramble). Enchanting.
Canto De Ossanha -- Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes (Don Quixote). Gets everything moving and has very impressive guitar work.
A Spaceman Came Travelling -- Chris de Burgh (JMLs Secret Identity). This is like some sort of unholy cross between Rod Stewart ('70s ballad version), Gary Wright and Peter Gabriel. Fascinating.

Since AC/DC is a topic and I just posted about the Ramones, I consider them the same band in different rock genres. The music is serious, but they have a sense of humor about themselves. Don't really beat on the brat (not repeatedly, anyway), just laugh about it/look at the 5' 2" guy in schoolboy shorts shredding.
What about the 280 lb woman? Should you sleep with her or not?

Yes, very carefully.

I mean really ...

roll over Beethoven

amiright or what? huh?

JMLs secret identity:

A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris de Burgh (Argentina)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - Mayhem (Norway)
(new artist)

Listening to these two back to back is ... an experience.
Mayhem had that murder-suicide tragedy about 30 years ago. Air Supply they’re not.

wasn't really a double whammy, as such ... the lead singer offed himself, then months later the bass player murdered the guitarist/scene king, who was plotting to do the same to his attacker.

shame young lives were wasted, yes ... but this lot were really headed for nothing but the outcomes they suffered - self fulfilling prophecy is more like it, tbh

My top 5 from the 12 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. scorchy: Don't Change - INXS (Australia)
  2. Hawks64: You Oughta Know (Live/Unplugged) - Alanis Morissette
  3. Val Rannous: It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll) - AC/DC
  4. The Dreaded Marco: Overkill - Men At Work
  5. Doug B: The Zoo - Scorpions
Weakest round so far for my taste for songs I already recognize.

rockaction:

Montreal - The Weeknd (Canada by way of Ethiopia)
(new artist)

I picked this song because of the interpolation of "Laisse tomber les filles" used throughout. It's a vocal sample of the same song by French ye-ye girl Fabienne Del Sol. That and The Weeknd also interpolates "You're So Vain" throughout the track.

I find the use of both pretty compelling on this ethereal R&B track.

6 pointers (I forget if I posted these or just thought about it)

• Tallest Man on Earth is coming to Detroit in Spring, I should look into tix
  • I am very pro-Vangelis, RIP
  • My ABBA exposure is embarrassingly low but Waterloo is an all time jam, it's too fun
  • I am that guy saying Rush sucks and then secretly jamming out so hard to Subdivisions
  • Surprise Hotel by Fool's Gold :) :) :)
  • The Place I Left Behind, "I am a good ole ramblin' boy"
  • Nice to see a Marley song that isn't "Could you be Loved"
Winner winner, mushroom dinner: YOU DON'T THINK YOU LIKE PEOPLE LIKE ME!

VII pointers

• Será Tire suas mãos de mim! I do not belong to you!
  • Lunatic Fringe is killer, this would pop randomly on my local rock and classic rock stations and it was other worldly to me. I never knew what it was or where it came from. I only know now.
  • Junge by Die Artze (sorry I missed a lot of punctuation) international emo is pretty freaking cool
  • I have already mentioned how Jet City Woman is a classic rock masterpiece, takes me back to 7th grade
  • Lay Your Hands On Me by Thompson Twins, ok boys take me to church

and the winner is....Walking with a Ghost. Tegan and Sara were a miss for me, this song is worthy of my list for sure.

Ocho Pointers

• Some Like It Hot, given my screen name I should be way more familiar with this song. This song didn't get play when I was growing up and it's something I mostly missed. That is GD shame.
  • Space to Bakersfield is a chill track
  • Valium Knights, cool song
  • Kansas City by The New Basement Tapes is a little gem
  • Surprisingly, I am a big fan of One Thing by Finger Eleven. I don't usually go for these ballads by metal bands but this one works.
  • Simone and Perry, I got more than I bargained for here- Perry does look younger without his mustache!
  • 10,000 Maniacs, these really are the days we will remember. Makes me think of my wife, and friends and family. What more can one ask for from a song?

and the Oscar goes to...Underwhelmed by Sloan, I can't explain but this is the most early 90s song ever

Lunatic Fringe is killer, this would pop randomly on my local rock and classic rock stations and it was other worldly to me. I never knew what it was or where it came from. I only know now.
A bit disappointing that that Mr. Cochran went from that to
Life Is a Highway
in less than 10 years.
I saw a post earlier about that, quite a changing of lanes

I'm listening to yesterday's playlist, and it's undoubtedly my favorite one, as I'm between like and seriously love on each song so far, but I have to pause just to say this: holy crap, "Ontario Plates" by Do Make Say Think might just be life-changing. :shock: I'm blown away.

Now I'm going to go see who selected this, because it could fit with so many of you.

Wow.

I'm listening to yesterday's playlist, and it's undoubtedly my favorite one, as I'm between like and seriously love on each song so far, but I have to pause just to say this: holy crap, "Ontario Plates" by Do Make Say Think might just be life-changing. :shock: I'm blown away.

Now I'm going to go see who selected this, because it could fit with so many of you.

Wow.

Whoa, @rockaction ! Not one of the people I had in mind, as I didn't associate this with your "style," whatever I think that is. Thank you for this one!!

Ok I will slow down since I appear to be one of the few around.

Don't slow down! I'm here and enjoying it!
Cool. I should probably pay attention to who's songs these are but I like the idea of being blind. For Krista, on to the next playlist review.

I listen "blind" except that I have a general idea of who's early in the countdown vs. late, etc. But even though I put these in in the morning, by the time I listen in the afternoon (or two days later) I've forgotten who drafted what. :lol:

Ok I will slow down since I appear to be one of the few around.

Don't slow down! I'm here and enjoying it!
Cool. I should probably pay attention to who's songs these are but I like the idea of being blind. For Krista, on to the next playlist review.

I listen "blind" except that I have a general idea of who's early in the countdown vs. late, etc. But even though I put these in in the morning, by the time I listen in the afternoon (or two days later) I've forgotten who drafted what. :lol:
I should know who is early and who is late based on all the spread-sheeting I am dong but all I know is Tim is first and AAA is last.

A few favorites from this round that I know and aren't repeats from past rounds.

Under the Milky Way - I love this album.
Don't Change - Tied for my second favorite INXS song, although sometimes it is my favorite.
To Live is To Fly - I think Townes would like this version.
Bye Bye Pride - Great band.
Overkill - Nice trip down memory lane.
I Got You - I remember loving this song in 1980. I never hear it unless I seek it out, or in this scenario.
Rock & Roll Woman - I played this album a lot once upon a time. Still love it.
It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n Roll) - ⚡
Give It Away - chug-a-lug me
Hand Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise - I'll be seeing them at the end of April. They play in NC a lot, and they are always a good time.
Don't Dream It's over - This song has that 80s sound.
Venus and Mars - Oh Yeah!
Venus - Golden nugget
Somebody Get Me A Doctor - 🎸

A few unknown favorites

Roky Said
Breakin' The Chains of Love
Snow Angel
Matador
Canto De Ossanha

Whoa, @rockaction ! Not one of the people I had in mind, as I didn't associate this with your "style," whatever I think that is. Thank you for this one!!

Yeah, it's jazzy post-rock. I was, once upon a time, a sucker for post-rock. Do Make Say Think is from the Constellation Records scene. Constellation Records has also released records by Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion.

It's a sort of unique track, this one. Nobody I've ever played it for has particularly liked it, so it is nice to get some strong positive feedback from people whose tastes I think are discriminating in a good way. I mean that a lot of thought goes into what they like and why.

So that's cool.

Yeah, it's jazzy post-rock. I was, once upon a time, a sucker for post-rock. Do Make Say Think is from the Constellation Records scene. Constellation Records has also released records by Godspeed You! Black Emperor and A Silver Mt. Zion.

It's a sort of unique track, this one. Nobody I've ever played it for has particularly liked it, so it is nice to get some strong positive feedback from people whose tastes I think are discriminating in a good way. I mean that a lot of thought goes into what they like and why.

So that's cool.

I'm not sure what other "jazzy post-rock" I might have heard along the way. What else would you put in that category? I'm almost scared to check more of it out because I could be disappointed after loving this so hard. I wanted to go back and listen over and over, and I will once I get through these playlists. :lol:

9 pointers
  • Tim go off, Buju Banton
  • I really like Alanis and Natalie Imbruglia, good picks
  • This is like the 10th best Big Thief song, yawn (aka this is the best band in the world)
  • Ai Du - if my first 5 out had a first 5 out
  • Let Go by The Very Best, what a genius idea to take The Very Best and even smarter to place them in the 9 point round
  • New Noise by Refused, loving the shape ...hope it comes
  • Ready to Shine=happy
  • The Payola$- it's dawning on me that this 9 point round is elite
Stop the fight! We have a TKO Winner:

Alcoholic kind of mood
Lose my clothes, lose my lube
Cruising for a piece of fun
Looking out for number one
Different partner every night
So narcotic outta sight
What a gas
What a beautiful ***

Nancy Boy by Placebo

I wanna say I might have loved yesterday's 11-point playlist more than any other in any of the countdowns we've done. I nearly cried a few times because I'd get through one new song I loved and then get into another right after that. Or maybe I almost cried because it's been a horribly stressful and terrible work week, and I'm losing my mind. Or both. In any case, it's going to take me a while to fashion a post about my favorites. I'm verklempt.

I wanna say I might have loved yesterday's 11-point playlist more than any other in any of the countdowns we've done. I nearly cried a few times because I'd get through one new song I loved and then get into another right after that. Or maybe I almost cried because it's been a horribly stressful and terrible work week, and I'm losing my mind. Or both. In any case, it's going to take me a while to fashion a post about my favorites. I'm verklempt.
I liked that based on the first part and not the work is horrible part. Whats going on at work that is so awful?

Or not, if it's best to forget.

What else would you put in that category?

Huh. We just had an earthquake here. Coincidence?

Not that you explicitly asked, but I don't know how to truly define post-rock very neatly, which is where I would start were I to send people to the jazzy post-rock element of things. Post-rock generally concentrates on soundscapes rather than verse/chorus/verse structure. It's very much mood music.

As far as jazzy post-rock goes, my rudimentary understanding is that it sort of starts with the Chicago band Tortoise from the mid-'90s. That's the premier example I can think of. Do Make Say Think's oeuvre is called the "Tortoise sound," according to a Wiki aside.

Not that Do Make Say Think are always very jazzy. "Ontario Plates" is a favorite of mine for a reason, and that's because it seems, in my humble opinion, to be a standout of the entire genre of post-rock. I've listened to Tortoise quite a few times and I never really got what they were doing, though I can certainly respect it.

I own the album that "Ontario Plates" is off of. I made sure to get a strong copy--even though it was used, it was near mint. Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn was the band shutting themselves away in a Canadian farm house and making a record. "Fredericia" is another very, very strong track, IMO, and one I almost used here!

As a bigger aside, perhaps the mood is turning back to post-rock these days. Mogwai definitely got mentioned in the U.K. thread positively. That would be nice. It's a cinema for the ears at times. People seem to love Sigur Ros here too, and they're considered one of the torchbearers for the post-rock movement.

eta* Anyway, I'm thrilled you liked the song that much. Pip had also mentioned the song. That's a good feeling.

Last edited:
I liked that based on the first part and not the work is horrible part. Whats going on at work that is so awful?

Or not, if it's best to forget.

Oh, it's super-boring and not even that bad. When I switched a couple of months ago from being outside counsel to my existing job (which I'd done for 9+ years) to going to work directly for the company, which I had to do to save them money and keep my job, I also agreed to work with another team on corporate governance and finance matters that I used to handle at prior jobs. So I'm thrown in with another team in addition to my "real" job, and they are lovely, but although I know the subject matter I don't know how they work or what their processes are or even who the people are that they work with. Which is all fine except that the person who leads that team is on vacation for two weeks (which is a lot for a lawyer), and now I'm leading the team for those two weeks during a time when there is a significant, extremely time-sensitive matter going on, and I have no experience with this team other than the last month or so. Luckily the other lawyers and paralegals I'm directing seem very competent, but I feel like I'm flailing.

He gets back Friday next, thank god.

What else would you put in that category?

Huh. We just had an earthquake here. Coincidence?

Not that you explicitly asked, but I don't know how to truly define post-rock very neatly, which is where I would start were I to send people to the jazzy post-rock element of things. Post-rock generally concentrates on soundscapes rather than verse/chorus/verse structure. It's very much mood music.

As far as jazzy post-rock goes, my rudimentary understanding is that it sort of starts with the Chicago band Tortoise from the mid-'90s. That's the premier example I can think of. Do Make Say Think's oeuvre is called the "Tortoise sound," according to a Wiki aside.

Not that Do Make Say Think are always very jazzy. "Ontario Plates" is a favorite of mine for a reason, and that's because it seems, in my humble opinion, to be a standout of the entire genre of post-rock. I've listened to Tortoise quite a few times and I never really got what they were doing, though I can certainly respect it.

I own the album that "Ontario Plates" is off of. I made sure to get a strong copy--even though it was used, it was near mint. Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn was the band shutting themselves away in a Canadian farm house and making a record. "Fredericia" is another very, very strong track, IMO, and one I almost used here!

As a bigger aside, perhaps the mood is turning back to post-rock these days. Mogwai definitely got mentioned in the U.K. thread positively. That would be nice. It's a cinema for the ears at times. People seem to love Sigur Ros here too, and they're considered one of the torchbearers for the post-rock movement.

Ahhhh, I know Tortoise but haven't ever been into their works. I have definitely enjoyed the Sigur Ros tracks selected, though none 1/2 as much as Ontario Plates, so that's another good one to check out more.

Ten Points
  • I am in love with Nico's style
  • The Tragically Hip are the Canadian Black Crowes? Maybe?
  • Headstones aren't 1 hit wonders, even when it goes badly
  • Manu Chao is the beach music king of the aughts
  • Me Myself I....speechless, i stand by this song 100%
  • Lust...yeah, yeah, yeah Raveonttes are good
  • Oh so that is what ****ed Up stood for
  • Alanis doing No Pressure Over Cappuccino (Live) is startling
Thisco Disco
  • Boogie Nights Huuuuuge miss by me. This is one of the best dance songs of all time. It reminds me of being 20, smoking weed and drinking Coronas,turning the house into a dance party.

Wow.

I knew he liked post-rock! :pickle:

TLDR: I've been banned from Ticketmaster because I wouldn't let them steal $1000+ from me. :lmao:
So crazy.
It is. Ticketmaster is truly the Ticketmonster now. The Merlefest started using Etix a few years ago (they have never used ticketmaster), and the price for tickets hasn't changed in a long time. Eventually I expect it to, but it is a set amount. Also, if you have reserved seating at the Watson Stage (which is the main stage), you have the rights to those seats for however many years you want. You just have to renew them every year.

12 Pointers

• Under the Milky Way is a great way to start any playlist
  • I am not an INXS guy but Don't Change is one of the best rock songs period. Everyone should hear it.
  • Bjork changes everything. Play Dead is monumental.
  • Aerials, System knows how f'd up this all is
  • Obstacle 1- nobody knew Interpol was international??
More to come soon.

Last edited:
11 Pointers

• Under the Milky Way is a great way to start any playlist
  • I am not an INXS guy but Don't Change is one of the best rock songs period. Everyone should hear it.
  • Bjork changes everything. Play Dead is monumental.
  • Aerials, System knows how f'd up this all is
  • Obstacle 1- nobody knew Interpol was international??
More to come soon.

These are the 12s...did you skip the 11s?

Thisco Disco
  • Boogie Nights Huuuuuge miss by me. This is one of the best dance songs of all time. It reminds me of being 20, smoking weed and drinking Coronas,turning the house into a dance party.
I danced to Boogie Nights and Grooveline. My sister would play Always and Forever and think about her boyfriend, then she'd get dumped, and play Always and Forever and cry. * Her go to cry song during that year was If You Leave Me Now by Chicago.

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to try to put together some thoughts on the 11s. :wub:

Already-known favorites:

If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot - Think I forgot to shout this one out the first time. I don't love all of his stuff, but this one is super-elite-top-tier. Reminds me of a Jim Croce song in its lyrics and craftsmanship.
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix - Hard to choose a fave from him, but this would be in the conversation.
One Love/People Get Ready by Bob Marley - Someone posted that "Don't Stop Me Now" was scientifically proven to be the happiest song, and I think "One Love" must be a contender for second place in terms of the vibe it gives.
First We Take Manhattan - It's Leonard Cohen.
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! by Nick Cave - I had such a hard time choosing a song from him that I omitted him from my list. I should have taken this instead. Bonus points for the three exclamation points.
Beat on the Brat by Ramones - Fun fun fun.
Both Golden Earring songs - Always loved Twilight Zone and now can add Radar Love to my favorites, too.
On My Own by Lea Salonga - I saw her in Miss Saigon on Broadway and remember when she was groundbreaking in her role as Eponine later. Singular talent and definitely the best Eponine I've ever heard. I have a soft spot for Les Miserables, having seen it numerous times and crying every damn time.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - My #11 Paul post-Beatles song.
Don't Stop Me Now - Already selected by me
Strange by Galaxie 500 - Yeah, this was my pick, but I didn't post about it. I love how off-kilter yet somehow melodic the vocal is, among other things.
Talking Heads/The Police - Two bands I'm not really into, but the selections were some that I enjoy from them.

Back with "new-to-me" favorites.

Last edited:
Had to take a day off Thursday for baseball and live music.

Newly selected known favorites:
Don Quixote: One Love/People Get Ready - Bob Marley
Dr. Octopus: First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen
The Dreaded Marco: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
krista4: Strange - Galaxie 500 :wub: - winner for the day. I wish I would have remembered it.
simey: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Paul And Linda McCartney
Zegras11: Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
AAABatteries: Dirty Paws - Of Monsters And Men

New to me favorites:
titusbramble: A Bar In Amsterdam - Katzenjammer
landryshat: Free - The Martinis
Hov34: Better Pickups - Salad Boys

Users who are viewing this thread