What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Gin - go make youself a Gimlet using Jeffrey Morgenthaler's lime cordial and Barr Hill gin. It'll change your life.

yeah, if you want to smell like a Christmas tree the next day ...it comes out your pores.

I'm not a big fan of most gin neat, but the Barr Hill is outstanding - great honey and juniper nose and makes a delicious Gimlet.
I used to drink gin and vodka interchangeably. If it felt like a "clear liquor" night, I'd have one or the other, with no strong preference. Then all of the sudden in my mid-30s, my stomach decided it didn't like gin anymore. It's still fine with vodka.

Gin - go make youself a Gimlet using Jeffrey Morgenthaler's lime cordial and Barr Hill gin. It'll change your life.

yeah, if you want to smell like a Christmas tree the next day ...it comes out your pores.

I'm not a big fan of most gin neat, but the Barr Hill is outstanding - great honey and juniper nose and makes a delicious Gimlet.
I used to drink gin and vodka interchangeably. If it felt like a "clear liquor" night, I'd have one or the other, with no strong preference. Then all of the sudden in my mid-30s, my stomach decided it didn't like gin anymore. It's still fine with vodka.
Yeah the vodka just sits better in my stomach. Lime & tonic with some ice for me.

worrierking:

Hand Of Law - Radio Birdman (Australia/Canada/US)
(new song)

There was no real template for what punk was supposed to be, so they are very different than their contemporaries on the other continents. They played long songs with lots of guitars as opposed to the 2-minute minimalism of their fellow punks.
One of my favorite albums also fits this description.

I really dig this song.

worrierking:

(new song)

There was no real template for what punk was supposed to be, so they are very different than their contemporaries on the other continents. They played long songs with lots of guitars as opposed to the 2-minute minimalism of their fellow punks.
This should go on a marquee.

Mt. Man:

Limelight - Rush (Canadian band)
(new song)

I finally saw Rush live in 2007. They opened with this song. Apparently it was their first tour where the set opener was not also the opener on the album it came from. The awe-inspiring riff has always made it one of my favorites of theirs.

worrierking:

(new song)

I wasn't even thinking of that one, but it fits too.

I just talked to her. She got 10 stitches on her forehead. 4 stitches on her hand. One stitch on her lip. The x-ray showed maybe a small piece of cartilage that may have broke off in her nose, but the Dr doesn't think it is broken, but will send her x-ray to a radiologist to confirm. One of her eyes has already turned black. She's still in good spirits.
Hoping for a speedy recovery. 🤞

worrierking:

(new song)

... that reads:

Most Overrated Band On This Board!

:scared:

:lol:

worrierking:

(new song)

... that reads:

That may Clash with the opinions of others.

worrierking:

(new song)

... that reads:

That may Clash with the opinions of others.

hold the horses just a sec ... i been drivin' that bus up on here for awhile, too

:drive:

Pip’s Invitation:

Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame Impala (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

This is the newest-to-me song on my list. I was looking for things to fill out the psychedelic music playlist in GP4 and wanted to include something that wasn't from the "classic rock era." I did some Google searches along those lines and found this song, which I loved instantly. I had never heard of Tame Impala before, as they emerged around the time I became a parent and completely stopped keeping up with new music. But the song has the same mix of melodicism and freakiness that could be found in the poppier side of '60s psychedelia. And yes, the Beatles influence is certainly apparent.

As it so happened, a few weeks after I made my pick for GP4, my wife's cousin held a family gathering in a park to celebrate her son's second (?) birthday. She and her husband had a playlist going, and it was entirely from the "classic rock era" -- except this song.

btw ... :hifive:

In addition to being influenced by him, Todd Rundgren also contributed a remix of the first single, "Elephant", and Tame Impala added a cover of Rundgren's song "International Feel" to their setlist.

Tame Impala - International Feel
Nice!

I could certainly see them (him) making an AWATS-style album if they (he) haven't (hasn't) already.

worrierking:

(new song)

... that reads:

THUMP

worrierking:

(new song)

... that reads:

THUMP

not applicable to this countdown, tho - lest i woulda begged off.

:deadhorse:

My mom called me about an hour ago, and she told me she was taking a walk and fell. She said she was looking forward and stepped in a pothole, and flew about six feet forward. She said she landed on her face, and it was bleeding like a sieve. She said as was sitting in the road bleeding, a car went by and didn't stop to help her. What's wrong with people? Anyway, she called my dad, and he got her, and they are waiting in the walk-in clinic to see if her forehead needs stitches. She cut her nose, but she doesn't think it is broken. She said she is going to start walking at the YMCA again instead of in the neighborhood. I'm waiting to hear back from her. It was just last week she told me she always carries her phone with her when she walks incase she falls.

I hope simey Mom and family are going to be okay. That's a scary thing.

My top 5 from the 15 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. DrIanMalcolm: Unchained - Van Halen
  2. shuke: Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp
  3. AAABatteries: Need You Tonight - INXS
  4. Mt. Man: Limelight - Rush
  5. simsarge: Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders

known to me favs from today

Crossroads - Derek & The DominosJust Win Baby1 album …1 great album though
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame ImpalaPip's Invitationyeah! Just picked my last go around!
Unchained - Van HalenDrIanMalcolmthis is classic - love it!
Oye Como Va - SantanaDon Quixotea lot of people don't get how big Santana was back in the day
Take The Long Way Home - Supertrampshukeglad to see a nice selection of these guys here - was my best friend's favorite band
I Touch MyselfDivinylsoh yeah …
Spring Rain - The Go-Betweenskristaperfect sound
Limelight - RushMt. Manlove, love, love
Rock N' Roll Woman - Buffalo Springfieldjwbunderrated …and made my list
Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenderssimsargesolid pick from a solid group - wish I could have found room for one of their tunes
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five - WingsZegras11Zegras is hitting all my favs
Need You Tonight - INXSAAA BatteriesNow THIS is INXS

new to me fav from today

#1 Crush - Garbagesimeywhoa simey comes up with another I don't know how I ever missed

Fifteen-Point Selections:

Just Win Baby:

Crossroads - Derek And The Dominos

Andy Dufresne:
Love Somebody - Rick Springfield

DrIanMalcolm:
Unchained - Van Halen (US/Netherlands)

Don Quixote:
Oye Como Va - Santana

shuke:
Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp

Mister CIA:
Come Into My Sleep - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Hawks64:
Brian Wilson (live) - Barenaked Ladies

Mrs. Rannous:
I Touch Myself - Divinyls

Raging weasel:
Gone - The Black Crowes

Mt. Man:
Limelight - Rush

MAC_32:
Out Ta Get Me - Guns N’ Roses

jwb:
Rock ‘N’ Roll Woman - Buffalo Springfield

Eephus:
Artists Only - Talking Heads

simsarge:
Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders

Zegras11:
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings

Chaos34:
Ghost Town - The Specials

AAABatteries:
Need You Tonight - INXS

Lot's of high-quality H20** today! Doug B Long List artists in red.

I'll completely back up Andy regarding Rick Springfield's rock-pop bona fides. It's too bad he got pigeonholed a bit ... but he actually maintained a pretty long span of relevance anyway AND is today a very successful throwback act.

The Specials' "Ghost Town" ... I used to think that song was cheesy and "over-British", but it kind of wore me down over time. Very reminiscent of good times back in the day.

Rick Davies on the bass harmonica in "Take The Long Way Home" 👨‍🍳😘

** yes, zamboni ... those guys are ineligible :D

New-to-me favorites from #17:

#1 Crush -- Garbage (Simey). I thought maybe I had heard this before, but I hadn't. I probably read about its existence at some point. The '90s music press loved them some Shirley Manson. This one was captivating.
Grant Green -- Mr Jukes and Charles Bradley (Hov34). I recognized the chorus but not the song -- has this been used in an ad? It grooves hard.
Hand of Law -- Radio Birdman (Worrierking). Folks who aren't afraid of stretching out perform rockabilly on meth. I like a lot of punk/not-punk fusion and this is no exception.
Come Into My Sleep -- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Mister CIA). My favorite of the Cave selections thus far. Captivating in a much different way from Ms. Manson.
Third Wind -- Pat Metheny Group (Higgins). Jazz-rock fusion with Brazilian rhythms? Yes please.
Heartless Scat -- Ningen Isu (Val Rannous). This was insane in the best way. How does one even come across something like this?

Last edited:
Artists count up to date

1. Queen96
2. Bob Marley71
3. Talking Heads68
4. The Police67
5. GnR63
6. INXS62
7. AC/DC59
8. Fleetwood Mac58
9. Supertramp56
10. Tool56

if i were a gambling man (ya know, the kinda knucklehead that chucks shekels at animals racing), i'd go that there are a hard/fast 5 from the current list who will definitely remain standing after the plug is pulled.

Last edited:

Third Wind -- Pat Metheny Group (Higgins). Jazz-rock fusion with African rhythms? Yes please.
Much of that album is based on fusion jazz / Brazilian rhythms. What gets me about the Pat Metheny Group is they take beautiful, amazing music and transport you without any accompanying lyrics or a movie to tell the story. This specific pick (Third Wind) is supposed to be based upon what it would feel like (centuries ago) to be on a sailing ship en route through the trade routes/winds (Europe to SA). I happen to think the beginning of another song on the album (Minuano (Six Eight)) captures that feeling better (was debating between the two) -- glad you enjoyed it! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Heartless Scat -- Ningen Isu (Val Rannous). This was insane in the best way. How does one even come across something like this?

I found them on another chat board when somebody pointed out another one of their songs, calling it "weird old Japanese dude Cthulhu rock" - and I just had to find out what the heck that was all about! I won't point out the other song yet (unless Krista approves, chance of spotlighting, you know), but it was just as cool and creepy as advertised.

Wait until you see them! They dress onstage as a Meiji-era scholar (guitar), a Buddhist monk (bass), and a Yakuza gangster (drums). They've been around since the 80's, with over 20 albums, with listed influences like Black Sabbath, King Crimson, The Beatles, and Kiss. (And anybody with that eclectic of an influences list deserves a listen or two!) They're finally getting a following outside of Japan with some well watched YouTube videos in the last few years.

This track is another one of those that if you want to know what they're talking about, the Closed Captioning on YouTube will translate to English:

Third Wind -- Pat Metheny Group (Higgins). Jazz-rock fusion with African rhythms? Yes please.
Not to be that person that has to correct people (I'm really not that guy) but much of that album is based on fusion jazz / Brazilian rhythms (close enough, though). What gets me about the Pat Metheny Group is they take beautiful, amazing music and transport you without any accompanying lyrics or a movie to tell the story. This specific pick (Third Wind) is supposed to be based upon what it would fell like (centuries ago) to be on a ship en route through the trade routes/winds (Europe to SA). I happen to think the beginning of another song on the album (Minuano (Six Eight)) captures that feeling better (was debating between the two) -- glad you enjoyed it! :thumbup:
Thanks for the clarification. I edited my post.

#1 Crush -- Garbage (Simey). I thought maybe I had heard this before, but I hadn't. I probably read about its existence at some point. The '90s music press loved them some Shirley Manson. This one was captivating.
I was gonna return the favor and ask if someone had banned Shirley Manson from your house, but then I got to thinking... If someone had ever banned Shirley from my house, it would have been me, and I would have done it out of jealousy, because Mrs. Scorchy might leave me for her. My usually restrained wife melts whenever we see Garbage, and it ain't because of Butch Vig.

I'm not usually a lyric guy but Shirley & company came up with some doozies.

Take it back, I dare you, take it back
No, you can't, you should have thought of that

I've been really anxious today (not sure why) and it's funny/not funny how that effects my enjoyment and subsequently the length of my list. I'll try to be in a better place tomorrow. Maybe one of you stoners can Fedex me something?*

Known Favorites

Spring Rain - The Go-Betweens (krista4)
Limelight - Rush (Mt. Man)
Jesus Where's The Sugar - Christian Death (otb_lifer) - not my personal Xian Death favorite but still slams. otb killing it the last couple of days.
#1 Crush - Garbage (simey) - nothing to add that I didn't just type above ♥️
Wet Hair - Japandroids (rockaction)
Out Ta Get Me - Guns N’ Roses (MAC_32) - was really dragging on the dog walk and this one especially cheered my up.
Ghost Town - The Specials (Chaos34)
Need You Tonight - INXS (AAA Batteries)

New to me Songs I Really Liked

It's Gonna Take An Airplane - Destroyer (The Dreaded Marco) - I've liked every song from Destroyer picked for this. Had no idea.
I Love It When You Call Me Names - Joan Armatrading (Doug B) - Same story for Joan Armatrading - had heard the name forever but couldn't have told you anything about her. I'm enamored.
The Pot - Tool (Manster; KarmaPolice) - I already knew I liked Tool, but never really dove into them beyond the "hits."

I was gonna return the favor and ask if someone had banned Shirley Manson from your house, but then I got to thinking... If someone had ever banned Shirley from my house, it would have been me, and I would have done it out of jealousy, because Mrs. Scorchy might leave me for her. My usually restrained wife melts whenever we see Garbage, and it ain't because of Butch Vig.

ditto, but it's D'arcy Wretzky (or Bjork) at the otb compound

🤷

Jesus Where's The Sugar - Christian Death (otb_lifer) - not my personal Xian Death favorite but still slams. otb killing it the last couple of days.

:hifive:

more for Gitane than Valor, of course ... woman has a glorious set of pipes - i was gonna go either "Incendiary Lover" (which i included in a previous draft here) or "Tales of Innocence", but "Sugar" been drilling my ears lately like a mofo - 34 years of goodness outta them.

the Valor iteration takes a ton of s*** from rhe Rozz camp, of course ... but Valor gave plenty of breathing room to Gitane, allowed her to grow as an artist (and wife, and mother) .

"Atrocities" & "Sex, Drugs, Jesus Christ" are flat out killer platters, don't give a f*** what Rozz nation thinks.

I won't point out the other song yet (unless Krista approves, chance of spotlighting, you know), but it was just as cool and creepy as advertised.

Go for it.

Cool. Weird old Japanese dude Cthulhu rock, take 2:

(Song is based on an HP Lovecraft short story, so it really is "Cthulhu Rock". If you watch this, make sure to hang until the bass player starts singing for the full creepy factor.)

I won't point out the other song yet (unless Krista approves, chance of spotlighting, you know), but it was just as cool and creepy as advertised.

Go for it.

Cool. Weird old Japanese dude Cthulhu rock, take 1:

(Song is based on an HP Lovecraft short story, so it really is "Cthulhu Rock". If you watch this, make sure to hang until the bass player starts singing for the full creepy factor.)

oh, that's plain filthy good ... had this band been mentioned to me by somebody yesterday i woulda said "gesundheit!" ... but Lovecraft, shredding, and an MXC vibe?

IN.

Go for it.

Cool. Weird old Japanese dude Cthulhu rock, take 1:

oh, that's plain filthy good ... had this band been mentioned to me by somebody yesterday i woulda said "gesundheit!" ... but Lovecraft, shredding, and an MXC vibe?

IN.
They were just about to start their first world tour when Covid kicked in. Sux.

Behind on some of the other playlists but I did get through today's and I really enjoyed
  • It's Gonna Take an Airplane
  • Spring Rain
  • Hand of Law
  • (I Love It When You) Call Me Names
My big winner is Vitamin C

Hey, you!
You're losing, you're losing, you're losing
You're losing your vitamin C!

Mrs. Eephus can't stand Shirley Manson.

It goes back a few years when John & Exene were the opener for the Bay Area stop on the Blondie and Garbage summer shed tour. Exene put us on her guest list which came with a VIP pass for a meet and greet with Garbage. Unlike most meet and greets which are pre-show, this one took place during the set change between Garbage and Blondie.

It was the summer of 2017, the year Mrs. E tore her Achilles so she was still getting around using a knee scooter. Because of this we were debating skipping the meet and greet but Butch and Doug from Garbage used to be in the band Spooner who were local heroes when I was going to college in Madison so I thought it would be fun to talk about the old days. So between bands we headed backstage to the VIP area which was kind of a pain to maneuver with a knee scooter. It took a while for the band to come out. The guys were OK although the meet and greet wasn't organized at all. Manson came through the stage door, talked to someone who appeared to be her personal assistant for a minute or two and then disappeared. By then, Blondie was about to go on so we left.

A lot of legacy artists do a good job with fan service nowadays. People who come out to your shows everytime you tour are valuable and shouldn't be taken lightly. We didn't pay anything for our tickets so no loss to us but most of the people waiting for Shirley paid extra to be stood up. Maybe she was just having a bad day but Mrs. Eephus is still mad about having to bump her scooter up a ramp for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread