What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

No Country
I liked No Country For Old Men until the ending. The way it ended disappointed me a lot.
Wow. I love that ending. That ******* ending haunts me - Tommy Lee Jones's speech. I must think about it once a week.
There was more to the ending than just TLJ's monologue. I don't want to spoil the ending for those that haven't seen it, but yes it disappointed me.
They clearly don’t tie things up in a nice bow, but I like the ambiguity and the “life goes on” aspect.
I think TLJ monologue is the actual ending though and it really does sim up the “point” of the film. I do get why some don’t like it. I watched it with my brother-in-law the first time and his reaction after it ended was “that’s it?”.
It isn't TLJ's monologue that I don't like. I understand the point of the film. It is before that, but I consider it part of the ending of the movie, because it happens near the end of the movie.
Sure, I think I know what you’re talking about. Honestly not sure we need spoilers for a 10 year old movie but will respect it.

My Last Five Out list is going to be ridiculous -- huge acts and great songs that really 'deserved' a spot in my favorite 31. Problem was: I had over 90 songs that ' really deserved' a spot -- without doubling up on artists

agreed - I will likely have 3-4 artists that finish in the top 10 that aren't in my top 31 ...

Sure, I think I know what you’re talking about. Honestly not sure we need spoilers for a 10 year old movie but will respect it.
I'll just say I didn't like the way the demise of one of the characters was written, although the demise was inevitable and maybe that played in to the way it was and wasn't touched on. There were a couple other things that bugged me too. I only saw it once when it came out, and I liked the majority of the movie..

Last edited:
Country Count:

Australia - 7
Canada - 3
France - 2
Sweden - 2
Nigeria - 2
Iceland - 1
South Korea - 1
New Zealand - 1
Norway - 1
UK/US - 6
UK/Zanzibar - 1
Australia/New Zealand - 1
US/Germany - 1
US/Australia - 1
UK/West Indies - 1

Decade Count :bag:

1970s - 3
1980s - 5
1990s - 1
2000s - 2
2010+ - 20
Really curious how many of the 8 listed as Australia were actually born in Australia.
So so many like the Bee Gees, Ac/DC, Olivia Newton John etc were born in the UK. Ac/DC is various incarnations might have an aussie born or two. Didnt look it up.

Country Count:

Australia - 7
Canada - 3
France - 2
Sweden - 2
Nigeria - 2
Iceland - 1
South Korea - 1
New Zealand - 1
Norway - 1
UK/US - 6
UK/Zanzibar - 1
US/Germany - 1
US/Australia - 1
UK/West Indies - 1

1970s - 3
1980s - 5
1990s - 1
2000s - 2
2010+ - 20
Really curious how many of the 8 listed as Australia were actually born in Australia.
So so many like the Bee Gees, Ac/DC, Olivia Newton John etc were born in the UK. Ac/DC is various incarnations might have an aussie born or two. Didnt look it up.

Both AC/DC and the Bee Gees had incarnations that had Aussies in them, and both will be on this countdown.

ETA: And about a thousand of us, including me, just learned ONJ wasn't Aussie when we did the British Isles countdown. :lol:

Last edited:
Country Count:

Australia - 7
Canada - 3
France - 2
Sweden - 2
Nigeria - 2
Iceland - 1
South Korea - 1
New Zealand - 1
Norway - 1
UK/US - 6
UK/Zanzibar - 1
US/Germany - 1
US/Australia - 1
UK/West Indies - 1

1970s - 3
1980s - 5
1990s - 1
2000s - 2
2010+ - 20

to save some work for those last minute list makers ...the Bee Gees first 6 albums qualify (through '69 - "Odessa") - I don't think the rest do ...but research away if you feel like it.

Did I stumble into the Coen Brothers are overrated thread? :popcorn:

Not really...I think they're mostly brilliant, though I find some of their comedies to be a bit too shaggy and unfocused. The top 10 on my list of theirs up there would all rank at least an 8 on the 1-10 scale.
That was more just me :pokey: and being a D. They aren't my thing, but I am not here to crap on people's enjoyment of directors and movies they love. I get similar reactions when I talk PTA, Kubrick, and others. For my personal tastes and ratings, before I saw the bolded I thought to myself that Fargo and No Country would be the only 2 of theirs that would get an 8/10 or higher. For me 8/10 would be a movie that would be in my top 10 or so for that year.

The only two Coen Brothers movies I haven't seen (and I consider myself a Coen Bros. fan) are -- get this one -- Raising Arizona and Hail Caesar. I have no idea why I haven't seen Raising Arizona when I have actively sought out all their other movies.

Intolerable Cruelty is way low on DrIan's list compared to mine. CZJ in all those outfits is like a modern day Grace Kelly. Just a portrait of beauty.

I think NCFOM has the greatest ending of any modern movie that there is, from Kelly Macdonald's speech to TLJ's speech. What's even more amazing is that Kelly Macdonald is Scottish and does a perfect Southern accent in the movie. Holy Moses.

So take that, simey! Naw, I can see where, as a moviegoer, it would leave one unfulfilled.

I'm not mansplaining it for fear of spoilers, so watch the darn movie!

Raising Arizona
That’s the first one I ever saw. It’s arguably their best comedy. Obviously that’s too taste.

I saw this with my dad (RIP) and stepmother. We were the only three in the theater; I don't think southern Indiana was ready for this. I was, though. Loved it from the beginning, and it remains one of my top 10 comedies to this day.

For some reason, when people send links from Youtube, sometimes the links become big pictures and embedded links I can't use. For those lists, I have to copy the list into a document, remove the pictures and all the embedded useless stuff, and then go back to the person's PM, open each link, and hand copy each one into the document. Usually I'll do these 5-6 at a time, so I just have 5-6 songs that start playing at the same time and then I close each one after I copy it. It's made for some interesting mash-ups! Today my favorite was when Sigur Ros mashed with Mdou Moctar. Another surprisingly good one was a Pixies song mashed with Joni Mitchell.

No need to be sad, rock! I enjoy the mash-ups. The cats don't love them so much, though.

I was just thinking of all that work and the YouTube being wonky. Sounds like a pain in the you-know-what.

But if you enjoy the mash-ups, then I suppose the linings are silver.

Excited for picks, not excited about tomorrow's Guinness based hangover, although it is not a strong drink and I do drink it anyway so we should be fine

I think NCFOM has the greatest ending of any modern movie that there is, from Kelly Macdonald's speech to TLJ's speech.
In Ireland they would call you an eejit for saying something like that. I'm kidding You need to see more movies if you think that is the greatest ending of any modern movie. You need to go watch Urban Cowboy is what you need to do.

Last edited:
For some reason, when people send links from Youtube, sometimes the links become big pictures and embedded links I can't use. For those lists, I have to copy the list into a document, remove the pictures and all the embedded useless stuff, and then go back to the person's PM, open each link, and hand copy each one into the document. Usually I'll do these 5-6 at a time, so I just have 5-6 songs that start playing at the same time and then I close each one after I copy it. It's made for some interesting mash-ups! Today my favorite was when Sigur Ros mashed with Mdou Moctar. Another surprisingly good one was a Pixies song mashed with Joni Mitchell.
Yikes. I always like it when I click a link and it is YouTube. The Spotify links to single songs always stall my computer. It does better when listening to a whole playlist on Spotify. That is weird that the YouTube links are mashing together. Sorry if any of mine did that.

Yikes. I always like it when I click a link and it is YouTube. The Spotify links to single songs always stall my computer. It does better when listening to a whole playlist on Spotify. That is weird that the YouTube links are mashing together. Sorry if any of mine did that.

It's not always a problem with Youtube links, and I like including Youtube for the countdown posts since people who prefer Spotify can use the playlist instead. I don't know why sometimes the Youtube links come through so complicated and sometimes they don't.

It's not always a problem with Youtube links, and I like including Youtube for the countdown posts since people who prefer Spotify can use the playlist instead. I don't know why sometimes the Youtube links come through so complicated and sometimes they don't.

I think it depends if embed the link in text or just cut and paste the URL not as part of embedded text. At least, I think so.

Since there was discussion of Miller’s Crossing Theme earlier:

1. Link embedded in text: Miller’s Crossing Theme

2. Cut and paste of URL as separate text:

List submitted.

I went against the grain a little since I wasn't feeling this one as much when I was listening the playlist. There were 5 bands that I found impossible to pick 1 song for, so I went the other way.
5 bands with 5 songs each + 6 random songs is what you get. Suck it, @shuke !! ;)

I'd imagine at least 3 or 4 of the bands are easy to guess if not all.

I think it depends if embed the link in text or just cut and paste the URL not as part of embedded text. At least, I think so.

Since there was discussion of Miller’s Crossing Theme earlier:

1. Link embedded in text: Miller’s Crossing Theme

2. Cut and paste of URL as separate text:

Yeah, your first example is perfect. I don't have to do anything with those. The second are the more difficult. Actually, come to think of it, for some reason this also happened with a list or two with Spotify links this time.

In any case, I've done all the work to "fix" the ones I've received, so nothing to worry about.

Zegras, Chaos, and OH still working on their lists. (I still hope Chaz will show up, too.) Who will be the last in? :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread