What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

I'm still behind where I normally have been in these countdowns in terms of the calculations. I'd put together any artists I thought had a chance at the top 10 (based on "feel" as the lists came in), but today I came across an interesting non-top-10 candidate, who is practically Petty-esque in having 10 different songs for a total of 184 points with no duplicates. Will be particularly interesting to see the discussion of this artist shake out!

I'm still behind where I normally have been in these countdowns in terms of the calculations. I'd put together any artists I thought had a chance at the top 10 (based on "feel" as the lists came in), but today I came across an interesting non-top-10 candidate, who is practically Petty-esque in having 10 different songs for a total of 184 points with no duplicates. Will be particularly interesting to see the discussion of this artist shake out!
I'm not gonna have much to say if it's a kazoo band.

It's only the bestest Bulgarian-Ghanian kazoo band in all the lands!

It's only the bestest Bulgarian-Ghanian kazoo band in all the lands!
Do they have an Ethiopian baritone sax player?

Sorry I won't have a lot of time for teasers tonight, but a quick glance at tomorrow's selections gives us:

- Looks like a lot of Australians. And an Austrian, which I'll have you know is different. Have we had an Austrian before? Also potentially new countries represented: Panama? Benin? Have we had Belgium before?

- Good news: one of the guesses for the Ace Award will score a big three (3) points. Bad news: the same song will simultaneously be eliminated by selection of a second song from the same artist. :lol:

- Covers! We have a song that's been alluded to here, but the selected version is a cover instead of the original. We have a song I'd totally forgotten that samples an old-timey song and is a lot of fun. And we have what I'm going to go ahead and declare to be the oddest "cover" selection in the whole draft. This one will only be available to you on Youtube.

- @higgins engages in clever wordplay. Speaking of clever, please don't sleep on reading the comments from @Sullie , @MAC_32 , and @simsarge to their daily picks. Sometimes clever, sometimes informative, sometimes just a great story. :)

Last edited:
Great blasts from the past:
Just Win Baby: Fantasy - Aldo Nova (Canadian artist)

Today's known favorites:
Pip’s Invitation: For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) - AC/DC (UK/Australia)
Ilov80s: Emmylou - First Aid Kit
simey: Dancing Queen - ABBA (Sweden, Norway)
Doug B: Voices Carry - ‘Til Tuesday
westerberg: Untitled #4 - Sigur Ros
KarmaPolice: All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem

New to me favorites:
Don Quixote: Allah Wakbarr - Ofo & The Black Company (Nigeria)
The Dreaded Marco: Melpomene - Kashmir
Mister CIA: Wake Me - Rusty - Canada
Raging weasel: Stormy Monday - Stoned Jesus - Ukraine
Hov34: Edge Of Town - Middle Kids

So much new great music!!!

Two-Point Selections

Just Win Baby:

Fantasy - Aldo Nova (Canadian artist)
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) - AC/DC (UK/Australia)
(new artist)

worrierking:

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone - Greg Gilmore from France
(new artist)

krista4:

Modern Nature - Sondre Lerche (Norway)
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
(new artist)
These are my favorites of the songs I already know well.

I'm going to try to listen to all of the new songs but I'll probably lag behind by a couple days during the week and catch up on the weekends.

The Dreaded Marco:

Melpomene - Kashmir
(new artist)

This sounds a little like Radiohead and a little like a U.S. act I enjoyed back in the early '00s, American Analog Set.
Yeah, they get the Radiohead reference a lot and deservedly so.

I only discovered this band from Denmark a couple years ago. My daughter has been dating a Dane for the past 3 years after meeting him on a junior year abroad in college. She returned to the US for her senior year but moved back there for grad school. The first time he traveled here to meet us he came bearing gifts. He knew I was a music fiend and brought me a vinyl copy of Kashmir's album Zitilites from 2003. It's pretty great from start to finish. This is track 5 from that album.

Selected faves of round 2...

AC/DC......21 gun salute! It's 1981.....cruisin around in a beat up Chevy Nova with an Alpine tape deck worth more than the car....you just got the new AC/DC tape! Life is good....
Seether.....cool cover....well done.
Stoned Jesus....dark, and dirty. I'm a sucker for anything that has an obvious Sabbath influence.
Mother Love Bone.....probly their biggest song, and it's a good one. It's on the Singles soundtrack. They were a big part of the Seattle music scene for a very short period of time......out of the ashes came PJ.
Police.....I've always been a sucker for the Police.

cruisin around in a beat up Chevy Nova with an Alpine tape deck worth more than the car
Same rig for me. I had a '73 hatchback and the entire back was filled with speakers I had built a frame for. I had toggle switches under the dash so I could turn the different speakers (I think I had 12 of them back there, of all different makes and sizes; one was a guitar amp) on & off. If I cranked that thing, shingles would blow off of nearby houses.

Three-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Easy - Barenaked Ladies
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (American and English band members)
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (UK/US)
(both new artists)

Andy Dufresne:

Forgotten Years - Midnight Oil
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Wombo Lombo - Angelique Kidjo (Benin)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

The Third Man Theme (aka The Harry Lime Theme) - Anton Karas (Austria)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

No One Like You - Scorpions (Germany)
(new artist)

scorchy:

Ode To L.A. - The Raveonettes - Denmark
(new artist)

shuke:

Headsick - July Talk …...........Canadian
(new artist)

Sullie:

Four Wheel Drive - Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not enough cowbell for the first thread, too much for the second but this time it's just right.
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

A Postcard To Nina - Jens Lekman
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Everyone Looks Like Everyone - The Pack A.D. - Canada
(new artist)

Hawks64:

You're In Trouble - Ratt
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra) - Belgium + New Zealand
(both new artists)

titusbramble:

Odyssey To Anyoona - Jam & Spoon (German)
(new artist)

@Hawks64 , titus would like “the album version, not the single version which cuts six minutes off it”

Raging weasel:

Help I'm Alive - Metric - India
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

Umbrella – Rihanna (feat. Jay-Z)
(both new artists)

worrierking:

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil - Australia
(duplicate – second vote)

Val Rannous:

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Headstones
(new artist)

krista4:

Pink Frost - The Chills (New Zealand/UK)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers - US band, Australian bassist
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

Something - Lasgo - Belgium
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Little Green Bag - George Baker Selection (Netherlands)
(new artist)

simey:

Funny Thing - The Vines (Australia)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Because I'm Me - The Avalanches (Australia)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

What You Need - INXS - Australian band
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

landryshat:

Fencewalk - Mandrill (Panama)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate - Trinidad and Tobago
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Hate To Say I Told You So - The Hives - I loathe small talk as much as the swedes
(new artist)

jwb:

I Saw Her Again - The Mamas & The Papas
(new artist)

Eephus:

Original Sin - INXS
(second song from this new artist today)

Hov34:

Beware The Dog - The Griswolds
(new artist)

Manster:

Gweedo Weedo - Truckfighters
(new artist)

simsarge:

Back In Black (with a twist) - AC/DC Best cover of an ACϟDC song I've ever heard. The Youngs would be proud.
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Broken Strings - James Morrison (feat. Nelly Furtado)
(both new artists)

Doug B:

I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan
(new artist)

westerberg:

Synchronicity II - The Police
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Parabola - Tool
(new artist)

higgins:

Turn Me Loose - Loverboy (Canada)
(new artist)

zamboni:

Leash Called Love - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Rudy - Supertramp
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Zawal - Tinariwen (feat. Warren Ellis, Nour Mint Seymali, Jeiche Ould Chighaly)
(all four new artists)

Chaos34:

Mother Mother - Fat Freddy’s Drop
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
(new song)

Last edited:
From last night:

- Good news: one of the selections for the Ace Award gets three points! Bad news: the same song simultaneously gets knocked out by a different song from the same artist. “Beds Are Burning” by Midnight Oil, knocked out by “Forgotten Years”

- Covers! We have a song that's been alluded to here, but the selected version is a cover instead of the original. “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” covered by Headstones We have a song I'd totally forgotten that samples an old-timey song and is a lot of fun. Kon Kan’s “I Beg Your Pardon,” sampling the Lynn Anderson original And we have what I'm going to go ahead and declare to be the oddest "cover" selection in the whole draft. This one will only be available to you on Youtube. The Peanuts Gang “covering” AC/DC’s “Back in Black”

- @higgins engages in clever wordplay. Back-to-back selections of “On the Loose” and “Turn Me Loose”

Ace Award Guesses:

Two votes:

The Final Countdown – Europe

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

One vote:

Lovefool -- The Cardigans

Battle Scar – Max Webster

99 Luftballons - Nena

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Some Like It Hot - Power Station

Take On Me - A-ha

Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House

This Beat Goes On/Switching to Glide – The Kings – One point

Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling

Layla - Derek & the Dominoes

Cult of Personality – Living Colour

David Bowie for “Under Pressure” – David Bowie and Queen

Pip’s Invitation:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (UK/US)
(both new artists)

This song is as undeniable as it is ubiquitous. It's brash, it's funky and it stimulates your head and your booty. And it appeals to everyone of all ages. When he was little, my son would sometimes just randomly start saying "Uptown funk you up, I said uptown funk you up."
It slaps, as the kids say today.

Three-Point Selections:

Just Win Baby:

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (American and English band members)

Dr. Octopus:
No One Like You - Scorpions (Germany)

Sullie:

Four Wheel Drive - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Hawks64:
You're In Trouble - Ratt

Mrs. Rannous:
Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra)

Val Rannous:
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Headstones

New Binky the Doormat:
What You Need - INXS

John Maddens Lunchbox:
Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate

Eephus:
Original Sin - INXS

westerberg:

Synchronicity II - The Police

higgins:
Turn Me Loose - Loverboy

AAABatteries:
Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work

"Choc" full of goodness today. Long-list artists in red. Want to go listen to Headstone's cover of "Wreck", the original of which was on my Last Five Out.

@simsarge , I'd like to listen to that "Back In Black" cover, but I'm a little shuked on how to search for AC/DC covering ... um ... AC/DC :confused:

I know 16 of today's picks not including my own and the 2 covers.
Highlights of known songs
- Lunatic Fringe( just win baby) had this on my original list but dropped it around 40
-Uptown Funk(Pip) love this song! If I'd known it was eligible it'd be on my list
-No One Like You(Dr Octopus) my second fav song by them
-Somebody That I Used to Know(Mrs R)- I've liked this since it came out despite it not being in my wheelhouse
-Gweedo Weedo(Master) not my fav by them but it is from my fav album of theirs. Gweedo Weedo is all we need, looking for his sack of weed
Parabola(Karma Police) hard to go wrong with any track from Lateralus, made it to my final 4 by them
Turn Me Loose(Higgins)- my fav Loverboy song and on my original list of 50+
Also like the INXS picks though neither are my fav

My top 5 from the 3 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. AAABatteries: Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
  2. Mrs. Rannous: Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye (feat. Kimbra)
  3. Dr. Octopus: No One Like You - Scorpions
  4. New Binky the Doormat: What You Need - INXS
  5. westerberg: Synchronicity II - The Police

Only 15 songs (not including mine) that I know by title today. That does not include unfamiliar covers of familiar originals, or Rudy, which I know I've heard once because I listened to Crime of the Century in full once, but I don't remember what it sounds like.

Known-to-me favorites from #29:

Fencewalk -- Mandrill (Landryshat)
Beds Are Burning -- Midnight Oil (Worrierking)
Lunatic Fringe -- Red Rider (Just Win Baby) -- the first video I ever saw on MTV. Todd Rundgren has covered this live -- will it be on Binky's list?
Forgotten Years -- Midnight Oil (Andy) -- Blue Sky Mining is every bit as strong as Diesel and Dust all the way through
Every 1's a Winner -- Hot Chocolate (John Maddens Lunchbox)
No One Like You -- Scorpions (Doc Oc)
Somebody That I Used to Know -- Gotye ft. Kimbra (Mrs. Rannous) -- another ubiquitous song that I picked up on even though I was preoccupied with changing diapers and such
Synchronicity II -- The Police (Westerberg)
Original Sin -- INXS (Eephus)

I'll be behind on new-to-me listening because today is busy at work and tonight is Survivor, which is an all-night thing for me because I hit the discussion groups and podcasts after the episode.

@simsarge , I'd like to listen to that "Back In Black" cover, but I'm a little shuked on how to search for AC/DC covering ... um ... AC/DC :confused:

Did you...um...click the link?

Somehow, I completely missed that it had a link. Couldn't see the underline for some reason.

OK ... that was a fun video! Brian Johnson should do a tribute and sing the song through a megaphone in concert.

No playlist? I have some boring mindless administrative outside counsel billing work that would be prime for listening.

Sorry! I must have had a miscommuncation with Hawks. I sent him these in advance as he was going to be busy today, and he sent me the playlist. I thought he was still going to be the one posting it, but he must have intended for me to do it.

Please don't lose your faith in Management.

Users who are viewing this thread