What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

I've been thinking about posting a movie-related thing for a couple of weeks (not in this thread, but I don't GAF now), but I'm still not sure how it will be received... :oldunsure:

Ah, why not. This thread can't get any worse!

I'm slightly involved in a project...awaiting final word but right now we think it's going to be premiering at Cannes. It's a new version, call it a "director's cut," of a well-known and well-derided movie...

Caligula

Before you judge it too much, watch this video to explain. Most of what you think you know about this movie isn't true.
Holy ****, that's really cool. I have not seen the original but have always wanted to.

and this restoration is one of the coolest things I've heard. How are you involved?

I’m sorry about venting earlier about my suspension- I’ve deleted most of those posts (for all you fans of irony)just to move on.

My friend Doc will be back tomorrow and he’s usually a fine fellow that doesn’t drop the gloves on the message board very often. He’s going to mostly hang here and be a good boy and as always listen to the music play.

I didn't see anything at all wrong with your posts in this thread, FWIW.

I’m sorry about venting earlier about my suspension- I’ve deleted most of those posts (for all you fans of irony)just to move on.

My friend Doc will be back tomorrow and he’s usually a fine fellow that doesn’t drop the gloves on the message board very often. He’s going to mostly hang here and be a good boy and as always listen to the music play.

Yeah but I don’t like being a whiner I guess. Ultimately I did, briefly, break a board rule and now I’ve, mostly, done the time. Tomorrow, freedom.

I've been thinking about posting a movie-related thing for a couple of weeks (not in this thread, but I don't GAF now), but I'm still not sure how it will be received... :oldunsure:

I'm slightly involved in a project...awaiting final word but right now we think it's going to be premiering at Cannes. It's a new version, call it a "director's cut," of a well-known and well-derided movie...

Caligula

Before you judge it too much, watch this video to explain. Most of what you think you know about this movie isn't true.
Holy ****, that's really cool. I have not seen the original but have always wanted to.

and this restoration is one of the coolest things I've heard. How are you involved?

I PM'd you since the thread and PMs have been bizarro-world today and I don't trust anything.

Yeah but I don’t like being a whiner I guess. Ultimately I did, briefly, break a board rule and now I’ve, mostly, done the time. Tomorrow, freedom.

You weren't whining at all. Someone asked where you were!

[*]I will be honest, I never realized I'm Not Your Steppin Stone was The Monkees. WTF this blew my mind.
Funny. Me too. I couldn't believe it.
What!? It's like the most ubiquitous Monkey's song ever.
Not really.
Was supposed to be a sarcastic/funny flashback to the earlier discussion about songs people should know. I'll show myself out :bag:

I got it! :lol:

A few unknown favorites from the 5 pointers...

A Wanderer in the Sleeping City - I've never heard this one before from Rufus W, and it is such a nice sounding song.
Toys and Flavors - Rock'n'Roll!
Look What You've Done - I've heard this before, but I never knew the name of the song or who did it.
Kyenkyen Bi Adi M'awu - I like the rhythm and instruments in this tune.
Sunshine Day - This reminds me of a 70s tune
Hallucination Generation - o_O
Amor de Mis Amores - This music reminds me of songs that were played at my friends' wedding back in the 80s. They had a band that played at the reception, but during the band's breaks, they would put on music from the bride's parents' native countries, which were Ecuador and Spain. All those native people would go out on the floor and do certain dances to their music. It was fun.
Foolproof - Nice late night sounding song.
Without a Sound - Do I hear a harmonica?
Come With Me Now - I feel like I've heard this before, but I'm not sure. I like it.
I Get Up - I like this guy's soulful voice. This Australian soul/R&B sounds good.

*Forgot to add King of Spain.

Last edited:
Just Win Baby:

Look What You've Done - Jet (Australian band members)
:wub:

HOLY ****. I'm just listening to this now. Where has this been all my life?!?!

Strong contender for my Blaze Foley Award.

I'm not sure if this means you were just unfamiliar with this song or with all Jet songs. In case it is the latter, here are some other favorites:

Just Win Baby:

Look What You've Done - Jet (Australian band members)
:wub:

HOLY ****. I'm just listening to this now. Where has this been all my life?!?!

Strong contender for my Blaze Foley Award.

I'm not sure if this means you were just unfamiliar with this song or with all Jet songs. In case it is the latter, here are some other favorites:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I know the first one. Of course I do. Didn't put it together that this was that artist.

Ace Award Guesses:

Two votes:

The Final Countdown – Europe

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

One vote:

Lovefool -- The Cardigans

Battle Scar – Max Webster

99 Luftballons - Nena

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Some Like It Hot - Power Station

Take On Me - A-ha

Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House – Five points

This Beat Goes On/Switching to Glide – The Kings – One point

Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling

Layla - Derek & the Dominoes

Cult of Personality – Living Colour

David Bowie for “Under Pressure” – David Bowie and Queen – Four points
If I had known Under Pressure would be counted as a Bowie song and not a Queen song it would've been my pick to win the Ace in a landslide :(
It's on the Queen album I think.
It is.
Original release is as a single by Queen & David Bowie.

Correct. Regardless of whether it was a single or on a Queen album, there's no way this should ever be considered a "David Bowie song".

[*]I will be honest, I never realized I'm Not Your Steppin Stone was The Monkees. WTF this blew my mind.
Funny. Me too. I couldn't believe it.
What!? It's like the most ubiquitous Monkey's song ever.
Not really.
Was supposed to be a sarcastic/funny flashback to the earlier discussion about songs people should know. I'll show myself out :bag:

I got it! :lol:
I thought using the word ubiquitous would make it obvious

New-to-me favorites from #27:

Vidage -- 1000mods (Raging Weasel). It didn't grab me at first, but the second half is spectacular, especially the guitar work.
Yo Ya -- Kazeret (Zamboni). Hard rocking song that builds up great momentum and ... is sung in Hebrew? I certainly never would have come across this on my own.
Sunshine Day -- Osibisa (JMLs Secret Identity). I have heard very little of their music, but I know that Osibisa is lumped in with Santana and Mandrill as early '70s bands that incorporated influences from all over the world and rocked out while doing it. And this song more than lived up to that description.
Toys And Flavors -- The Hellacopters (Eephus). A great example of '90s garage rock, with a hint of power pop thrown in. The name of the band ... could be better.
If I Ever Feel Better -- Phoenix (Marco). I know some of their mid-period and recent work, but not their early stuff. This is a little herky-jerkier than what I'm used to hearing from them, but it still showcases their strengths very well and has a nice beat to it.

No teasers tonight and not sure I'll put in any effort on this again, other than posting the daily lists and announcing winners of contests. Not worth my time or love.

What's crazy is that all week I had thought I'd post at the end of this week to say what a fantastic countdown this had been. Until today (and setting aside our people getting banned!), it had been so positive and fun, with excellent discussion and so much great music. Better for me even than the first one. Obviously I don't think that now. But thanks to most of you for really making it a great time...for a while.

- "Wake Me Up" from Avicii. After reading about this guy, I'm sure Ilov80s will mention I'm the only person on earth not to have previously known this song. What a tragic story. This was absolutely brilliant, so I have a sad now.
I only knew it because it came up in one or more of our previous drafts/exercises. It's lovely.

Caligula

"involved"

Caligula

"involved"

OK, I'll admit it...

I was Helen Mirren's body double.

Looking at the playlist, those album covers all look weirdly alike to start. So much plain white background.
I noticed that too!
  • I will be honest, I never realized I'm Not Your Steppin Stone was The Monkees. WTF this blew my mind.
They got bagged on by Wenner and the other tastemakers of the day, but the Monkees had some of the very best songwriters supplying them material, and it shows.
  • And my winner of the day is : Toys and Flavors. Is this from 82, 92, 02, 12, 22... I am a little lost in the rock here!
Wiki says 2000. But it sounds like it could be from anytime.

No teasers tonight and not sure I'll put in any effort on this again, other than posting the daily lists and announcing winners of contests. Not worth my time or love.

What's crazy is that all week I had thought I'd post at the end of this week to say what a fantastic countdown this had been. Until today (and setting aside our people getting banned!), it had been so positive and fun, with excellent discussion and so much great music. Better for me even than the first one. Obviously I don't think that now. But thanks to most of you for really making it a great time...for a while.
I seemed to have missed a lot of the drama or am oblivious. Probably the latter.
With a whole bunch of middle aged dummies, we will all do dummy things.

At times like these you need our love and support and here it is.
We appreciate you and all you do. Thank you

🍕 🍰 🍷🍷🍷

It's been a rough day. Go do something you enjoy for a while. Rest. Come back tomorrow and see how you feel. Hopefully it's fully better, but of course not everything will get smoothed over so easily.

I seemed to have missed a lot of the drama or am oblivious. Probably the latter.
With a whole bunch of middle aged dummies, we will all do dummy things.

At times like these you need our love and support and here it is.
We appreciate you and all you do. Thank you

Thanks.

A lot of the drama and time-suck was by PM, and I'm not in the business of sharing that, of course.

I appreciate your kindness.

Relatedly, I try to start working on daily posts (which take a couple hours each even starting from my already somewhat “cleaned up" versions) early in my morning even if I have a lot of other **** to do, but I'm not going to do that going forward. Apologies to the rest, but I can't say when new posts will be made. I'll get to it when I get to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread