What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

I think I've finally finished all the artist calculations. I'ma gonna count 'em up sometime soon and give you a total number, which I assure you will be much higher than most people guessed for the contest tiebreaker.

Subject to my double-checking the numbers, #8 and #9 artists were separated by only one point, as were the #11 and #12. #6 and #7 artists were separated by two points.

Known favorites not previously listed:
Pip’s Invitation: Boogie Nights - Heatwave
The Dreaded Marco: New Orleans Is Sinking - The Tragically Hip
worrierking: Murder Tonight, In The Trailer Park - Cowboy Junkies
landryshat: Depreston - Courtney Barnett
jwb: Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) - Neil Young

New to me favorites:
Mrs. Rannous: Silent Lucidity - Queensryche - This sounds familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. Is it possible I've never heard this?
simey: Lust - The Raveonettes
Oliver Humanzee: Mother Sky - CAN ...........WHOA WHAT IS THIS

I discovered The Hives the old-fashioned way: someone sent a few of their songs my way, bit by bit. Most were from The Black And White Album since it was their latest at the time. I ended up enjoying them as a whole, with this one obviously sticking in my mind the most.

#22s
Recognized by title alone: 16
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 2
Didn't know: 21

Selected Favorites:
Boogie Nights (Pip’s Invitation)
Road To Madness (Raging weasel)
Cheap Thrills (Ilov80s)
Big In Japan (Doug B)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Try Again (Dr. Octopus)
When It Goes Badly (Mister CIA)
Bongo Bong (titusbramble)
Honey Joy (westerburg)

Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Your Grievances is my favorite Daniel Johnston song. Clem Snide's The Ghost of Fashion is one of my favorite records this century. Pairing them up on a Daniel Johnston tribute album was a match made in my version of heaven.
I have a Daniel Johnston cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the ready. It's a bit spotlightish at the moment.

As you know, I don't do teasers anymore, but looking at tomorrow's list, I can see the first inklings of settling into some of our favorites. Not quite there - lots of one-offs and first-timers - but also double-ups from some that you'd expect to be favorites, some new songs from other favorites, etc. I'd expect that most will have more "already known" selections starting tomorrow. In contrast, we will have a second-day run of a couple of artists who made their debuts today but will not be seen again thereafter.

Ten-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

1- Boogie Nights - Heatwave (US/UK)
(new artist)

Sullie:

2- Black Velvet - Alannah Myles (She's Geddy Lee's daughter, that's finally allowed now.)
(duplicate, second vote)
JMLs secret identity:

3- Me, Myself, I - Joan Armatrading (St Kitts & Nevis)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

4- Chiquita - ABBA (Sweden)
(new song)
New Binky the Doormat:

5- Public Image - Public Image Ltd (UK guys with US drummer, Bruce Smith)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

6- Ice Cream - Blackpink (feat. Selena Gomez) (Thailand)
(both new artists)

MAC_32:

7- Woman - Wolfmother (Australia pt 1)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

8- Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - ABBA
(new song)

Doug B:

9- Big In Japan - Alphaville
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

10 - Forty Six & 2 - Tool
(new song)

zamboni:

11- Screaming In The Night - Krokus (Switzerland)
(

Todays run down. Spolier free. Lets see if i can get this in under 3000 words

1- 1977 sighting lol. Wont be the last. It was an interesting read on why this song wasnt included on the soundtrack of the movie of the name of this track

2- Alannah Myles is just in a long line of next great female singer and then poof, gone. Oddly enough her other hit “Love Is” hit before Black Velvet in Australia and Canada. Everywhere else Black Velvet came out first. I still prefer Love Is, but Black Velvet is a belter

3- Trying to pick a Joan Armatrading song was tricky. She doesnt really have a stand out song, just loads of good ones.

4 & 8 - Pleasantly surprised at the amount if Abba we are seeing. Not their biggest yet? Still nice variety so far. Lets get the spelling of Chiquitita right first of all. I think Abba spelt it wrong or both are acceptable variants. Whatever love the changes in direction here. As fir Gimme Gimme Gimme, another cracker. One of dozens that could have been chosen

5- John Lydon morphing from the Pistols to PIL was always interesting. Maybe not cohesive or consistent, but interesting. This is obviously one of the better ones. Still love cranking up Home LOUD

6- Now for the middle aged dummy to be a middle aged pervert. I wish my brain could move on from being 21 years old. Songs and artists like this do not help. These 3 attractive young South Koreans are joined by a lovely Thai lady and to make it even more interesting, Selena Gomez adds her style. Maybe i was a bit harsh in saying she was 5th most attractive here, but there are no losers.....The song, oh yeah. Bubblegum filler. Im not sure if its filthy or innocent. Might pay attention to the lyrics now.

7- Talk about a contrast to Blackpink lol. We get the opener to this being an absolute sonic assault. Anyone made a Led Zeppelin reference yet?

9- Now Alphaville are one of my absolute favourite bands of all time. I have their first 7 albums. Got the Laser disc of Breathtaking blue, when I didnt have a Laser Disc player. Still dont. Unfortunately for them Germany is a tough ask. I may be the only Alphaville fan who cant stand Forever Young lol. But when you have Victory of Love, Sounds like a Melody, Dance With Me, Lassie Come Home, Red Rose, Ariana, Romeos etc. and oh yes, Big in Japan. All is good. Wasnt expecting them to be selected.

10- Who is less prolific, Boston or Tool? In the case of Tool they make up for it with quality. I used to listen to this stuff a lot more before I became happy. Maybe those days come back. Great to rock out to in short doses though

11- Another Krokus sighting. I stuck them in Malta, because Switzerland is a crowded field. malta not so much.

wanted to drop a few notes on my 9 pt selection, Myrkur - featuring a tie-in to my #10 artist, ABBA.

Myrkur is the name of the project, which started off (2014) as ambient Black Metal - it was (anonymously) headed by Amelie Bruun, who had been bouncing around the Euro indie pop scene, along with doing some modeling - even finding herself in a Scorsese directed Chanel campaign for good measure.

she dropped outta sight for a bit, returning with the Myrkur project ... choosing to remain anonymous to allow the music to stand on it's own, rather than facing the harangues of POSER and the like ... some heavyweight Black Metal chaps worked with her early on - the project was highly acclaimed, but once Ms. Bruun were revealed as the mystery front person, the backlash came in hot n' heavy ... ergo becoming the most polarizing figure in the scene. it was pretty ugly.

but i was hooked upon first hearing her spin on the genre - she chose shimmering atmospheric layers while incorporating Scandinavian folk turns into her web of Black/Viking metal, and churned out some hauntingly gorgeous head bangers - what more could ya ask for?

she has since released work that sheds the metal, and is focused more on the trad folk end of the spectrum (Joan Baez cover or two), but still keeping with the Scandinavian/Norse/pagan theme ... an incredibly versatile and fascinating artist, she absolutely kills it across the board in both genres.

as for the tie-in to ABBA, Ms. Bruun partook in the Amoeba series What's In My Bag, and had a very interesting take on the Swedes ... but one that fits the theme of the song i chose ("Chiquita"), and can be applied to quite a few more in their catalog.

🤘

Mrs. Rannous: Silent Lucidity - Queensryche - This sounds familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. Is it possible I've never heard this?
As big of a music guy as you are, I'm surprised you haven't heard it. Seemed to be played everywhere back in 1991, both song and video. Even hit #9 on the Billboard charts. Killer tune.

Not sure how I missed it. I was still in high school and I wasn't listening to a lot of new music back then. Maybe my exposure was limited, unlike later years in college where exposure was inescapable?

As big of a music guy as you are, I'm surprised you haven't heard it. Seemed to be played everywhere back in 1991, both song and video. Even hit #9 on the Billboard charts. Killer tune.

Not sure how I missed it. I was still in high school and I wasn't listening to a lot of new music back then. Maybe my exposure was limited, unlike later years in college where exposure was inescapable?

to call it UBIQUITOUS would be a yuuuge understatement ... seemed like every other vid/song played 'round that time were either that or "More Than Words" (Extreme)

:shrug:

I can see that. Queensryche did have somewhat of unique sound and really didn't fit tightly into a particular genre. Came out of Seattle, but weren't part of the grunge scene. Had a hard rock edge, but weren't quite as metal as some of their peers.

Hope I'm not spotlighting anyone, but I first remember seeing them on MTV back in 1983(?) with Queen of the Reich. Thought that was a really cool song, even if a preposterously cheesy video.

to call it UBIQUITOUS would be a yuuuge understatement ... seemed like every other vid/song played 'round that time were either that or "More Than Words" (Extreme)

You are correct, unfortunately. I developed a negative reaction for both because of it.

You are correct, unfortunately. I developed a negative reaction for both because of it.

i had a negative reaction before even hearing them ...

:coffee:

Silent Lucidity does sit at that turning point for 80's/90's music. It's one of two songs I'd consider as the Last Great 80's Sound Rock Ballad (The other being Fly To The Angels by Slaughter).

Silent Lucidity does sit at that turning point for 80's/90's music. It's one of two songs I'd consider as the Last Great 80's Sound Rock Ballad (The other being Fly To The Angels by Slaughter).
I will agree - it was a rock ballad. ;)

I was one of those "this isn't Mindcrime!!" dooshes then. Add to it that it was extremely popular and everywhere, and I wasn't having it.

I am mostly busting balls about the song. It's a quality song and ballad, it just hit me at the wrong time.

I was one of those "this isn't Mindcrime!!" dooshes then. Add to it that it was extremely popular and everywhere, and I wasn't having it.

I am mostly busting balls about the song. It's a quality song and ballad, it just hit me at the wrong time.
Did you like my Roads to Madness pick?

Not sure I got to it yet . I did 10pointers first somehow. I guess I was confused with the skip/no skip the other day and saw that playlist first when I went in looking.

Today is beach day, so I will probably listen to some tunes today. Some Sigur Ros + beach lounging also sounds relaxing as well.

Nm- I was mixed up and had playlists and song titles crossed. Yes, I dug the early Queensryche addition. After falling for Mindcrime, I went backwards into their albums. I didn't live them nearly as much, but there are some standout tracks. Then Empire came out, I was quite disappointed, and I don't think I listened to them much since.

Sorry, when I read that post, I thought your krokus pick was in the 10pters and I hadn't gotten to your pick in the 9pt songs yet.

My picks from yesterday:

Known Favorites

Cheap Thrills - Sia (Ilov80s)
Lust - The Raveonettes (simey)
Crusades - ****ed Up (rockaction)
Public Image - Public Image Ltd (New BInky the Doormat)
Won't Be Long - The Hives (Mt. Man)
Depreston - Courtney Barnett (landryshat)
Forty Six & 2 - Tool (KarmaPolice)

New to Me Favorites

Boogie Nights - Heatwave (Pip’s Invitation)
Try Again - Andy Shauf (Dr. Octopus)
Times Square - Destroyer (Shuke)
When It Goes Badly - Headstones (Mister CIA)
Murder Tonight, In The Trailer Park - Cowboy Junkies (worrierking)
Me, Myself, I - Joan Armatrading (JMLs Secret Identity)
No Igel Dares - Music On Hold (Hov34)

Eleven-Point Selections:

timschochet:

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
(duplicate, second vote)

Just Win Baby:

Broken - Seether (feat. Amy Lee) (South African band members)
(Seether, new song; Amy Lee, new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

Take A Chance On Me - ABBA
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Jai Ho - A.R. Rahman (India)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

One Love/People Get Ready - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen (Canada)
(new song)

scorchy:

Figurehead (Plain Version) - Covenant (Sweden)
(new artist)

shuke:

I'll Wait - Van Halen …...........VH brothers from Netherlands
(new song)

Sullie:

Harvest For The World - The Power Station (Robert Palmer wasn't addicted to love until this thread.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Depreston - Courtney Barnett (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Hawks64:

Twilight Hotel - Quiet Riot
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Joyride - Roxette (Sweden)
(new song)

titusbramble:

A Bar In Amsterdam - Katzenjammer (Norwegian)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

In Memory Capsule - Cut Copy
(new artist)

worrierking:

Beat On The Brat - Ramones (Tommy Ramone Born in Hungary)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Radar Love - Golden Earring (Netherlands, India)
(duplicate, second vote)

krista4:

Strange - Galaxie 500 (New Zealand/US)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

Behind The Wall Of Sleep - The Smithereens (US band, Austrian guitarist)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

On My Own - Lea Salonga (Phillipines)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Samain Night - Loreena McKennitt (Canada)
(new artist)

simey:

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Paul And Linda McCartney (England, USA)
(both new artists)

rockaction:

Ontario Plates - Do Make Say Think (Canada)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Camarillo Brillo - Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention (Jean-Luc Ponty was a member of the the Mothers at this point)
(new artist)

landryshat:

Free - The Martinis (Philippines)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Soul Kind Of Feeling - Dynamic Hepnotics (Hungary)
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC (Australia pt 2)
(new song)

jwb:

When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What’s Still Around - The Police
(new song)

Eephus:

Shivers - The Boys Next Door
(new artist)

Hov34:

Better Pickups - Salad Boys
(new artist)

Manster:

Psychopomp - The Tea Party
(new artist)

simsarge:

Don't Stop Me Now (Revisited) - Queen (Just a jaw droppingly tweaking of a phenomenal song. Just enough to take a great song to another level. Glad I found it by accident looking for non boring video versions of songs.)
(duplicate, second vote)

ditkaburgers:

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
(new song)

Doug B:

Girlfriend Is Better - Talking Heads
(new song)

westerberg:

Joan Jet Of Arc - Clem Snide
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Road To Nowhere - Talking Heads
(new song)

higgins:

Twilight Zone - Golden Earring (Netherlands)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Fantasy - Aldo Nova (Canada)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

(Dawning Of A) New Era - The Specials
(new artist)

Chaos34:

King Of Pain - The Police
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Dirty Paws - Of Monsters And Men
(new song)

Last edited:
Eleven-Point Selections:

timschochet:

If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
(duplicate, second vote)

Just Win Baby:

Broken - Seether (feat. Amy Lee) (South African band members)
(Seether, new song; Amy Lee, new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

Take A Chance On Me - ABBA
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Jai Ho - A.R. Rahman (India)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

One Love/People Get Ready - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen (Canada)
(new song)

scorchy:

Figurehead (Plain Version) - Covenant (Sweden)
(new artist)

shuke:

I'll Wait - Van Halen …...........VH brothers from Netherlands
(new song)

Sullie:

Harvest For The World - The Power Station (Robert Palmer wasn't addicted to love until this thread.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Depreston - Courtney Barnett (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Hawks64:

Twilight Hotel - Quiet Riot
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Joyride - Roxette (Sweden)
(new song)

titusbramble:

A Bar In Amsterdam - Katzenjammer (Norwegian)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
(new artist)

Ilov80s:

In Memory Capsule - Cut Copy
(new artist)

worrierking:

Beat On The Brat - Ramones (Tommy Ramone Born in Hungary)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Radar Love - Golden Earring (Netherlands, India)
(duplicate, second vote)

krista4:

Strange - Galaxie 500 (New Zealand/US)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

Behind The Wall Of Sleep - The Smithereens (US band, Austrian guitarist)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

On My Own - Lea Salonga (Phillipines)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Samain Night - Loreena McKennitt (Canada)
(new artist)

simey:

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Paul And Linda McCartney (England, USA)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Ontario Plates - Do Make Say Think (Canada)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Camarillo Brillo - Frank Zappa And The Mothers Of Invention (Jean-Luc Ponty was a member of the the Mothers at this point)
(new artist)

landryshat:

Free - The Martinis (Philippines)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Soul Kind Of Feeling - Dynamic Hepnotics (Hungary)
(new artist)

MAC_32:

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC (Australia pt 2)
(new song)

jwb:

When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What’s Still Around - The Police
(new song)

Eephus:

Shivers - The Boys Next Door
(new artist)

Hov34:

Better Pickups - Salad Boys
(new artist)

Manster:

Psychopomp - The Tea Party
(new artist)

simsarge:

Don't Stop Me Now (Revisited) - Queen (Just a jaw droppingly tweaking of a phenomenal song. Just enough to take a great song to another level. Glad I found it by accident looking for non boring video versions of songs.)
(duplicate, second vote)

ditkaburgers:

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
(new song)

Doug B:

Girlfriend Is Better - Talking Heads
(new song)

westerberg:

Joan Jet Of Arc - Clem Snide
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Road To Nowhere - Talking Heads
(new song)

higgins:

Twilight Zone - Golden Earring (Netherlands)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Fantasy - Aldo Nova (Canada)
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

(Dawning Of A) New Era - The Specials
(new artist)

Chaos34:

King Of Pain - The Police
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Dirty Paws - Of Monsters And Men
(new song)
The #11s playlist

surprised to see it took so long for the Specials to pop up - i expect to see a bit more ... maybe 5 unique off toppa my head.

- are that spotlighting? if so, plz disregard and move on to the non-AVH cymbal smashing goodtness of "I'll Wait", or perhaps the ethereal Celtic warbling of Loreena - or something.

These go to somewhere between 10 and 12:

If You Could Read My Mind
Voodoo Child
Take A Chance On Me
First We Take Manhattan
Harvest For The World
Beat On The Brat
Behind The Wall Of Sleep
Uncle Albert
Camarillo Brillo
Psychopomp
Don't Stop Me Now