What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

All right, I'm not going to have time to say a lot about each of these, and I'm not going to mention each one that I liked. If I didn't mention one, rest assured I actually liked it, too. I only skipped one already-known-to-me selection on this whole playlist, and none of the new ones.

Broken by Seether and Amy Lee - I don't remember now, but thought it was great.
Jai Ho by A.R. Rahman - In the early aughts, I was obsessed for a time with Indian movies and then Indian music. As I listened, I thought (favorably) that it reminded me of a lot of Indian movie music I'd heard at the time. Then I saw it was from [movie I hated and won't mention], so it made sense. Loved it despite my antipathy for the movie.
A Bar in Amsterdam by Katzenjammer - This has a squillion elements that would usually make me dislike a song, but somehow it really, really worked for me.
In Memory Capsule by Cut Copy - Good stuff I have little to say about.
Behind the Wall of Sleep by The Smithereens - This is a band I'd put smack dab in my list of "medium" liking, but this one was elevated well above that.
Samain Night by Loreena McKennitt - I had a friend years ago who loved her, so I listened a bit then, and remembered enough to know it would be a good outro to the Lea Salonga selection, which it was perfect for. But oh....so much more. Simply stunning.
Ontario Plates by Do Make Say Think - Already discussed :wub:
Camarillo Brillo by Frank Zappa - I have a Zappa playlist from a kind soul who put it together for me, but this one wasn't on there, and it's fantastic, too.
Free by The Martinis - I'm irritated by the fact that Spotify lists this as "The Martini's," but I won't blame them for that.
Shivers by The Boys Next Door - Another WOW on the list, maybe just second to Ontario Plates. I'm very disturbed by the album cover, though.
Better Pickups by Salad Boys - Is she just going to list every damn song on the playlist, you ask yourself about now.
Psychopomp by The Tea Party - Top of my "type of music I don't usually love but do in this case" list. Really interesting and compelling.
Joan Jett of Arc by Clem Snide - Also a contender for second place on this playlist and wins due to non-troubling album art. Delicate and gorgeous.
Dirty Paws by Of Monsters and Men - Yes, I really am putting that many songs on my list, but luckily for you this is the last one on the playlist.

Last edited:
So remember when I said that I was trying to avoid covers? Well, obviously I didn’t completely succeed, given that Blondie’s “The Tide Is High” falls into that category. Obviously I know (and enjoy) this version the best. Plus if Blondie wanted to be number one, this song hit that mark in several countries!

#20s
Recognized by title alone: 17
Sounded familiar: 5
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 20

Selected Favorites:
Big Yellow Taxi (DrIanMalcolm)
Obstacle 1 (Ilov80s)
I Got You (krista4)
Venus (landryshat) - Another song where people are probably more familiar with a cover version.

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Snow Angel (timscochet)
Slice Of Heaven (John Madden’s Lunchbox)
Breakin’ The Chains Of Love (jwb)
Trying To Be Cool (Hov34)

Dig The Vibe: Matador (Eephus)

As to my pick today, "I Got You" by Split Enz? Well, you know how I said everyone could have one mulligan/replacement? I have to admit I saw this on an early list and realized I'd missed it. Many other songs sparked the same reaction later, but I limited myself to one change since everyone else was so limited (though in practice I didn't hold anyone else to that) and it kinda felt like cheating even to replace this one. If you don't sing along to this song at the top of your lungs, there's something wrong with you. :lol:

Winner winner, mushroom dinner: YOU DON'T THINK YOU LIKE PEOPLE LIKE ME!

I'm glad my "Edge Lord" picks have some of you enjoying them. I decided I wasn't going to pick chalk this time - seems like most of what I would have picked has been picked already including: Waterloo @simsarge , La Di Da Di @Doug B , Radar Love @Sullie @Val Rannous , The One Thing @Dr. Octopus , Uncle Albert @simey , Another One Bites The Dust @ditkaburgers , Sychronicity II @Westerberg @shuke @Zegras11 @drlanMalcom , Get It On (Bang A Gong) @jwb , I'll Wait @shuke Leave It @Doug B
And a few others, and I'm sure most of my Chalky picks will be covered.

Instead I decided to go a little obscure (including tomorrow's pick from South Korea) from stuff that has been on some of my playlists from the past 10 years or so. Now my top 10 will be from "chalk" artists so don't despair, but thank you to those of you who have given my 2 point to 20 point selections a chance. (My 1 point selection was from "The Beat" who I really wanted to include in the Great Britain draft, but you know - rules...)

Also apologize for not commenting on picks - just haven't had the time (work is crazy - and trying to buy a 2nd car in 4 weeks) I have been listening to the playlists and have enjoyed them much.

Love you all.

p.s. I'm drunk

ditkaburgers:

Jumper - Rudimental (feat. Kareen Lomax)
(both new artists)

@ditkaburgers had a different Rudiimental song bounced from the British Isles countdown because one of the members was born in Tehran. The featured artist on this one Kareen Lomax is from Atlanta.

"Jumper" is a cool track with the four on the floor beats of UK Garage which I've always had a soft spot for. ditkaburgers said this was one of her most listened to songs in 2021. I don't remember hearing it before but Mrs. Eephus recognized it at once.

Eephus:

Matador - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
(new artist)

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs are a Rock en Espanol band from Argentina but I discovered them via Swing dancing. During the big Swing dancing craze of the late 90s, Mrs. Eephus bought us some dance lessons for Xmas. I guess I'm responsble for bailing on them but we had two little ones at the time and getting child care organized to go out and work on steps was probably doomed to fail and we'd both prefer to go see live music anyways.

So it came to pass that we got a babysitter to go to the Fillmore to see the Cherry Poppin Daddies. They were opening for a band I'd never heard of called Los Fabulosos Cadillacs. We figured if they sucked, we could go home early. Needless to say they didn't suck. They put on an incredible show even though I didn't know the music or speak the language. Their music combined elements of Rock, Funk and Ska with their Argentinian roots.

"Matador" was one of their biggest hits in Latin America. It tells the story of an outlaw during the times of the Argentine junta. I love the bouncing rhythm, the blaring horns and the call and response vocals.

People have told me for a few years I should watch women's NCAA basketball, and I've resisted, but if you're not watching Caitlin Clark this year you're really missing out.

I watched the second half. What a performance from Caitlin Clark.
Yea, she is a stone cold KILLER!

We called her exactly the same thing!! :lol: Stone. Cold. Killer. We said we'd be terrified to come up against her in...anything. That look in her eyes...

Then she had that post-game interview where she was super-sweet. But still, she would cut you.

At the end when SC had to foul and Clark went the line maybe 3 times? Sunk every one and I don't think any of em touched the rim! Just automatic in that huge moment.......that girl has some mamba/MJ in her

People have told me for a few years I should watch women's NCAA basketball, and I've resisted, but if you're not watching Caitlin Clark this year you're really missing out.

I watched the second half. What a performance from Caitlin Clark.
Yea, she is a stone cold KILLER!

We called her exactly the same thing!! :lol: Stone. Cold. Killer. We said we'd be terrified to come up against her in...anything. That look in her eyes...

Then she had that post-game interview where she was super-sweet. But still, she would cut you.
There's no doubt in my mind that woman has a switchblade in her sock when she's playing.

Clark is already up there with the greatest college hoops players ever, and she's got another year left. My Mt Rushmore is Holdsclaw, Turasi, Swoops, and Clark (I'm sure I GM'ed all of the spelling on these names).

Clark is basically David Thompson, who is the best college player I've ever seen. Anything your preferred player can do, she can do better.

Known Favorites

Somebody Get Me A Doctor - Van Halen (Dr. Octopus)
Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Sullie)
Play Dead - Bjork (titusbramble)
Obstacle 1 - Interpol (Ilov80s)
I Got You - Split Enz (krista4)
The Tide Is High - Blondie (Mt. Man)
The Small Hours - Metallica (Manster)
Bye Bye Pride - The Go-Betweens (Oliver Humanzee)

New to Me Songs I Really Liked

Snow Angel - Ron Sexsmith (timscochet)
Roky Said - Dead Ghosts (shuke)
To Live Is To Fly - Cowboy Junkies (Mister CIA)
Montreal - The Weeknd (rockaction)

Clark is basically David Thompson, who is the best college player I've ever seen. Anything your preferred player can do, she can do better.
One of my dad's most prized possessions is his autographed picture of David Thompson aka Skywalker. He has it in a frame in his office.

It was fun last year watching how far the NCSU girls went in the tournament. They lost in double overtime to UConn in the Elite 8.

Clark is the Killer Queen.

One of my dad's most prized possessions is his autographed picture of David Thompson aka Skywalker. He has it in a frame in his office.
I was pretty young at the time, but loved watching Thompson play in the ABA/NBA. There was that great quote/comment said about him that he could take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change.

Last edited:
I was pretty young at the time, but loved watching Thompson play in the NBA. There was that great quote/comment said about him that he could take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change.
:biggrin: I bet he could back then. It's too bad drugs, and falling down the stairs at Studio 54 (which blew out his knee) ruined his career. He found Jesus and got his life on track a long time ago, and he still goes to a lot of the NC State basketball games, and he always gets the cheers when he walks in.

we need a lil' Carol Blazejowski love up in here.

the stuff of pure legend, so much so that we all knew of her up 'round these parts back in the mid 70s, so there were no ESPN/innerwebz/social mediaz/24-7 coverage ... it all came by word of mouth from those who saw her play, and from tidbits in the local press.

hell, we didn't even know Women's College Hoops were a thing 'til we were told of the Blaze ... the "Pistol Pete of the ladies game"

she didn't even play competitive hoops until her senior yr in high school!1! then went on to tiny Montclair State in Jersey, and became the first female hoopster to garner what would become National attention, along with tons of awards & accolades.

finished her career averaging a shade over 30 pts & 10 rebs per game, along with a ridiculous 55.5 fg pct - for a player that centered a ton of her game on longer range jumpers, that's astonishing.

oh, and, just like the Pistol, she did not have the benefit of the 3 pt shot, or her numbers woulda been even more impressive - even held the record for most points ever scored (either gender) at MSG, with 52 ... had the 3 pt shot been in play, it might've been close tp 70.

so good was she, that the first women's pro hoop league were created for her, and she was not only the centerpiece, but it's runaway highest paid athlete ... but it folded after maybe a year or so, iirc.

she was also jobbed, like so many others, outta her Olympic glory in 1980.

PS - plz spare me the "oh, the game has changed so much, she were just a lil' Polack from a rinky dink program" ish - slap some respect on the woman who got the ball rolling, and who helped revolutionize women's collegiate athletics.

🖤

Ann Myers (Mrs. Don Drysdale) was the only woman to have signed an NBA contract. Just sayin'.
I can't think of Don Drysdale without thinking of Greg Brady.

Ann Myers (Mrs. Don Drysdale) was the only woman to have signed an NBA contract. Just sayin'.
Bobby got Joe Namath. :thumbup:

Yesterday at work, I was on the phone with a Maureen Marshall, and I typed in Maureen McCormick and could not figure out why her account would not come up for a few minutes. :oldunsure:

I was pretty young at the time, but loved watching Thompson play in the ABA/NBA. There was that great quote/comment said about him that he could take a dollar off the top of the backboard and leave change.
UCLA had a dude named David Greenwood who was a couple of years behind Thompson. I saw a game where he pinned a shot OVER the square on the backboard. The refs called goaltending just because they didn't know what else to do :lol:

Thompson, though, was so much more than a leaper. He could have led the nation in scoring/assists/steals/blocks if he was turned loose. The team around him was so good, he didn't need to.

I know @simey has heard (seen?) me tell this before, but my company did the foundation for the arena NCSU (& the NHL Hurricanes) plays in. I was invited by a really good friend who is an alum to attend the 1st ACC game played in that gym. Against my MD Terps. I met Thompson there. If he was 6'4", I'll kiss your ***. I know people shrink as they age, but I'm 6' tall and he couldn't have been more than 6'2".

Bobby got Joe Namath. :thumbup:
With that separation and vertical leap, he'd easily be a top 5 draft pick.
That's incredible. He could've been one of the best.
Alas, his true calling was music with his brothers and sisters.

UCLA had a dude named David Greenwood who was a couple of years behind Thompson. I saw a game where he pinned a shot OVER the square on the backboard. The refs called goaltending just because they didn't know what else to do :lol:

Thompson, though, was so much more than a leaper. He could have led the nation in scoring/assists/steals/blocks if he was turned loose. The team around him was so good, he didn't need to.
Greenwood was a solid player and Thompson was indeed a great overall player. In fact, IIRC Greenwood was traded later in his career for George Gervin, who beat out Thompson for the scoring title on the last day of the 1978 season - Thompson put up 73 and Gervin later that day put up 63 to eke out the title.

I know @simey has heard (seen?) me tell this before, but my company did the foundation for the arena NCSU (& the NHL Hurricanes) plays in. I was invited by a really good friend who is an alum to attend the 1st ACC game played in that gym. Against my MD Terps. I met Thompson there. If he was 6'4", I'll kiss your ***. I know people shrink as they age, but I'm 6' tall and he couldn't have been more than 6'2".
Maybe his small fro gave him a couple inches back in the day. Do you remember when he fell in a playoff game against Pittsburgh, and he got 15 stitches in the back of his head, and played with a bandage around his head? He was concussed and played. He played again against UCLA, and since the back of his head was shaved and stitched, they used a black sponge and glued it to the bald spot in the back of his head and he played.

Last edited:

I remember this. Greenwood and Roy Hamilton played at Verbum Dei High in LA. Both played in the NBA. Just missed playing against them as we lost our CIF game to advance and play them.

Greenwood was a solid player and Thompson was indeed a great overall player. In fact, IIRC Greenwood was traded later in his career for George Gervin, who beat out Thompson for the scoring title on the last day of the 1978 season - Thompson put up 73 and Gervin later that day put up 63 to eke out the title.
There was a "Great Sports Draft" here several years ago and I was the judge for a few categories (all college hoops-related). One was best college basketball player ever. The guys chosen for NBA weren't eligible for it, but it wouldn't have mattered - I'd have chosen Thompson over all of them even if they had been in play.

Pavlovian ... if not obligatory.

back when we cared about the NBA in our neck, everybody called these two when "who ya gonna be" were brought up when choosing sides.

Bird & Magic "saved" the league, and MJ launched it into orbit, but Ice n' Pistol were just fine for us guys (yep, even over Julius) ... pure assassins.

Maybe his small fro gave me a couple inches back in the day. Do you remember when he fell in a playoff game against Pittsburgh, and he got 15 stitches in the back of his head, and played with a bandage around his head? He was concussed and played. He played again against UCLA, and since the back of his head was shaved and stitched, they used a black sponge and glued it to the bald spot in the back of his head and he played.
I do remember that. I also remember a time against Maryland........nevermind, the memories are too painful even after 50 years.

I also remember him blocking Bill Walton's little pretty-boy turnaround jumper that worked against trash like Oregon and Washington: Bye bye, Bill

I do remember that. I also remember a time against Maryland........nevermind, the memories are too painful even after 50 years.
I saw him play his last game at the Long Beach Arena in Rd 2 vs UNLV. He was double teamed the entire game and he had no problem scoring over them. So smooth. So tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread