What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

higgins:

Judith - Perfect Circle (Paz Lenchantin born in Argentina)
(new artist)

@krista4 @Ilov80s Technically the name of this band is A Perfect Circle.

Thanks, but unless an artist is chosen more than once, I don't care what anyone wants to call them. If they're chosen multiple times, I'll check to make sure the band name is correct, for consistency in the posts. Otherwise whatever someone sends me is what I'm going with.

I guess that's a minor spoiler. :lol:

It Makes No Difference (live) -- The Band (jwb). Rick Danko's vocal (both in the studio and on The Last Waltz) conveys pathos like nothing else. I have seen this performed live by My Morning Jacket with Eddie Vedder sitting in.

Oooooh, this sounds great.
Here you go. I was either at this show or the night before.

ETA: This was a few days before my first date with my wife.

My wife isn't feeling well and my kid is playing video games with his friends, so I've spent all afternoon on Spotify. New-to-me favorites from #19:

You Let My Tyres Down -- Tropical **** Storm (OH). I kid OH about his obscure tastes, but this is absolutely ferocious.
Expensive **** -- Fela Kuti (Westerberg). I was wondering when he would show up. I know I should investigate someone who blended jazz, funk and African music in innovative ways, but I never really have. This was quite the thrilling groove.
Right in Two -- Tool (Manster). I loved early Tool but then they got less melodic and harder for me to take in album-length doses. And after the '90s I wasn't really vibing with their worldview. So I had lost track of them by the late '00s. But this track is pretty dynamic and has some of the same qualities I liked about the early stuff.
Judith -- A Perfect Circle (Higgins). Speaking of Maynard. This sounds like a Tool song to me, and a good one. Is APC just a vehicle for him to make Tool music without Tool, or are they more varied than that?
Move Your Feet -- Junior Senior (Eephus). I feel like I've heard this before but can't be sure. Has Eephus drafted it in other threads? Anyway, it's totally infectious.

Oliver Humanzee:

You Let My Tyres Down - Tropical **** Storm
(new artist)

I thought this was a different four-letter word until I saw the Spotify playlist. Where does OH find this stuff? :laugh:

I realized when I posted and the word got bleeped that it looked like it should be a different word than it is!

Despite the dumb band name, this is a great song that gets a lot of play around the 4 house.

Expensive **** -- Fela Kuti (Westerberg). I was wondering when he would show up. I know I should investigate someone who blended jazz, funk and African music in innovative ways, but I never really have. This was quite the thrilling groove.
I need to dig deeper into his music, too. I know a fair amount, but have never gone completely OCD on Kuti's stuff.

Oliver Humanzee:

You Let My Tyres Down - Tropical **** Storm
(new artist)

I thought this was a different four-letter word until I saw the Spotify playlist. Where does OH find this stuff? :laugh:

I realized when I posted and the word got bleeped that it looked like it should be a different word than it is!

Despite the dumb band name, this is a great song that gets a lot of play around the 4 house.
Reminds me of Black Sabbath a bit. I'm sure OH will LOVE that comparison :lol:

The wallpaper on the youtube video is straight out of my nightmares.

My favorites of the 12-pointers, some new to me, some old, some I thought were new but turned out to be old:

"Snow Angel" by Ron Sexsmith
"Incident at Neshabur" by Santana
"Canto de Ossanha" by Baden Powell and Vinicius de Moraes
"Overkill" by Men At Work
"To Live Is To Fly" was a great cover of a great song
"Breakin' the Chains of Love" by Fitz and the Tantrums
"Matador" by Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
"Venus and Mars/Rockshow" - duh
"Bye Bye Pride" by the Go-Betweens

I also liked the Queensryche song the best of those chosen from them so far.

And my two favorite new-to-me:
"Roky Said" by Dead Ghosts
"Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise" by The Avett Brothers

higgins:

Judith - Perfect Circle (Paz Lenchantin born in Argentina)
(new artist)

@krista4 @Ilov80s Technically the name of this band is A Perfect Circle.

Thanks, but unless an artist is chosen more than once, I don't care what anyone wants to call them. If they're chosen multiple times, I'll check to make sure the band name is correct, for consistency in the posts. Otherwise whatever someone sends me is what I'm going with.

I guess that's a minor spoiler. :lol:
Then this seems like a good place to share my favorite A Perfect Circle track

Some known favorites from this round excluding repeated songs from past rounds.

Wasted on the Way - 🙌
It Makes No Difference - My favorite Band song that Danko sings.
Where is My Mind? - :loco:
11:59 - My favorite Blondie album.
Boys Don't Cry - I wish they were coming around my parts on their tour.
Daydream Believer - 🌞
Feels Like We Only Go Backward - Spacey
Red Right Hand - 👀
World Turning - Love that guitar.
Soul Sacrifice - Those drums are killer.
Barely Legal - 🎸
Move Your Feet - You can't help but move your feet and body to this tune.
Maps - I like that outro.
Bicycle - 🚴‍♀️

A few favorite unknowns

Time to Get A Gun - 🪕
Over Everything - I like these two together.
Soul Meets Body - I know this band, but I don't know this song. It's good.
Fencewalk - funky
Vienna Calling - I know who Falco is, but I don't know this song. The singer has a distinct voice.
Old Town - This sounds very familiar to me. I like the pace of the music with the singing.
A Minha Menina - A lot going on in this tune.
Expensive **** - 🎺
You Let My Tyres Down - 🎸
On and On - I know his UFO stuff, but I don't know this stuff.

Last edited:
Twelve-Point Selections:

scorchy:

1- Don't Change - INXS (Australia)
(new song)

Raging weasel:

2- Aerials - System Of A Down (lead singer from Lebanon)
(new song)

Ilov80s:

3- Obstacle 1 - Interpol
(new artist)

krista4:

4- I Got You - Split Enz (New Zealand)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

5- A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris de Burgh (Argentina)
(new artist)

rockaction:

6-Montreal - The Weeknd (Canada by way of Ethiopia)
(new artist)
landryshat:

7-Venus - Shocking Blue (Netherlands)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

8-Slice Of Heaven - Dave Dobbyn And The Herbs (New Zealand)
(new artist)
zamboni:

9-Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House (New Zealand)
(duplicate, second vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

10-Bye Bye Pride - The Go-Betweens
(new artist)
Todays hopefully spoiler free list (from yesterdays songs)

1- INXS is one of the more fascinating bands to come out of Australia. From their first charting single, Just Keep Walking, Michael Hutchence demanded your eyes. Charisma doesnt grow on trees. The Australian rock scene wanted their singers more macho and blokey, not a man who attracted women by the truckloads. He got called all kinds of gay insults, odd for a man with so many women attached to him. The songwriting really helped. It was different, but able to fit in so many niches. Where INXS struck gold was management. Lots of Australia bands like Cold Chisel, Australian Crawl, The Angels, Mondo Rock had similar ingredients, but **** management. A surprise US top 40 hit with One Thing was the stuff of dreams. The band wasnt ready for global success, but found it anyway. Much to the jealousy of all aussie bands who slave their guts out trying to find an audience overseas, it landed in the lap of INXS. They worked hard for sure though and had a great mix within the band. Original sin should have been the big hit that broke them, but the topic matter alienated radio stations in the US and their ascent was delayed. Dont Change charted in the US, but its a cracker. In my top 3 INXS songs behind Kiss the Dirt and Dancing on the Jetty

2- Aerials was one of the songs I considered, apart from what I chose in Chop Suey. bYOB was next, then maybe the Pogo one (Bounce). When 3/4 of the band are born overseas and they are known as Armenian, not sure how they got overlooked by some.

3- I luuurve Interpol. Turn on the Bright Lights is probably my favorite 21st century album. Only problem is the UK/US angle. Because of how i did this draft I could only use that combo once.
4- This is the arrival of Neil Finn. I have said it before but few artists get a mentor as wonderful as his older brother Tim who let him grow into the band. Tim says Neil was utterly useless when he joined Split Enz, but mentioned wherever he could that...just watch out, he is something special. I Got You was a Neil moment, and credit for Tim in not letting ego take over. This song took the bland globally, a long way from the band I mentioned in the 1977 thread that just got dropped by their label and were signing on for unemployment.

5- This Chris De Burgh song was one of his first. He is not an artist i would consider, but late in my process I discovered he was born in Argentina. Ok now, Lady In Red would be the soppy safe choice. Not me. Dont Pay the Ferryman was a big enough hit internationally, but this song was much more interesting. Now seen as a christmas song in the UK. Its easy to assume Jesus is the Spaceman, but theres enough ambiguity by De Burgh to cast doubt. Rumours of his fascination with the Chariots of God puts another angle on the song.

6- I didnt know the Weeknd had Ethiopian parents. What a hell they must have gone through. I was sorely tempted to take Blinding Lights myself, my fave song of the last 5 years, but i dont listen to much new stuff anymore. Montreal is indeed a good song though

7- With George Baker Selection, Golden Earring and Pussycat, i totally forgot about Shocking Blue. 70s dutch music gets even more impressive. What happened since?

8- This New Zealand song is widely considered the most popular New Zealand song of all time, in a tough field. Its catchy as hell and was the theme song to the film Footrot Flats, the Dogs Tale, based on New Zealands most popular comic strip Footrot Flats. 8 weeks at no.1 in NZ and 4 in Australia. Great sing a long song

9- Neil Finn again waving his magic wand. No doubt i would have picked something from him, probably Sister Madly, if i didnt go with Slice of Heaven
10- Always nice to see the Go Betweens get respect. From Australias 3rd biggest city in Brisbane, host of the 2032 Olympics, the Go Betweens, like Brisbane got left in the shadow of Melbourne and Sydney and their bands. Struggling to get much attention they moved to the UK. Indie darlings they became. At least they have a significant bridge in Brisbane named after them.

Is Red Right Hand the the most perfect theme song(Peaky Blinders) for its show, ever? It's perfect! I'm quite fond of both the song, and show.

Weird, I had a friend email me today to ask what I thought of Peaky Blinders, which I've never watched and didn't even know what it was about. Looked it up when I got his message, and it does look interesting.

Send Me an Angel -- Real Life (Zamboni). I remember this from MTV. It's gorgeous.
It really is. Kind of came out of nowhere and really stood out. They pretty much faded into obscurity after this, at least in the US, but this song left a lasting mark.
They had a second top 40 "hit" I like better than this one, but cool sound.
Yes, the other one hit exactly #40 and then fell off. So not technically a one-hit wonder.

ETA: Send Me An Angel was also re-released in 1989 and re-charted, but I thought it was a bit too polished compared to the rawer original.
I was trying to find some way to get these guys in on another country. Odds are at least one of them was born somewhere else, but I couldnt find any details. As for other material, Catch Me Im Falling is gorgeous as is Always both off the magnificent Heartland album. I will add more in my write up later.
Speaking of Thumper, the 12-pointers also had my least favorite selection so far, although I'll admit I didn't listen to the William Hung track in the one-pointers.

Almost caught up!
William Hung is a fun listen, if you dont expect quality, singing in tune and competancy in any way. Wonder if my Polish selection irritated? It is fairly divisive.
Chris de Burgh was eligible in the British Isles countdown, being the son of British military stationed in Argentina. So he wasn't actually eligible here, but I'm not fighting that ****ing battle. ;)
That i did not know. I wasnt in the first 2.
Just when i think ive got to grips with this, not only did i have to search an artists country of birth i had to check what their parents occupation was? The fun discussions this must have led to. Military eligible, farmer Not. What about disc jockeys or fruit importers? I dont know how some of you still have sanity. Im barely hanging on lol

Don Quixote:

A Minha Menina - Os Mutantes (Brazil)
(new artist)

A Brazilian DQ song that I actually knew! When we were doing an international playlist for GP4, I decided to see if I liked anything from these guys, since Kurt Cobain and other American tastemakers seem to like them. This was the one that stuck out to me and I drafted it. Samba with psychedelic guitar shouldn't work, but it does.
I had forgotten all about this song. So great.

Just when i think ive got to grips with this, not only did i have to search an artists country of birth i had to check what their parents occupation was? The fun discussions this must have led to. Military eligible, farmer Not. What about disc jockeys or fruit importers? I dont know how some of you still have sanity. Im barely hanging on lol

Not that hard, really. British parentage born abroad imparts British citizenship, so eligible. Just so happens it's usually military people that it applies to, but needn't be. In the US one we also let in people born on US military bases overseas,

Well, I say "not that hard" a bit tongue-in-cheek, though. :)

I've been feeling sick for a few days, but it's really knocked me out today, so my listening parties haven't been as fun. Still, I made it through the 13-pointers and enjoyed them.

Some favorites, previously known or not:
- Both songs by The Band, but I really enjoyed "The Rumor" and don't remember hearing it before. I don't know as much of The Band's stuff as I should.
- "Daydream Believer" was one that came in on a list and I thought, damn I should have selected that. Another contender for "happiest song ever."
- "A Minha Menina" by Os Mutantes was fun, as was "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior.
- We listen to a lot of Fela Kuti up in this place, so that one makes my favorites.
- Ditto Nick Cave.
- My favorite new one of the day was "Over Everything" by Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett. I really like Vile, and Barnett is one of the more tolerable female artists for me. :lol:

My song today was "Where Is My Mind?" by The Pixies. It was between that and another of their songs for me, and if I'd known I'd hear a cover of "Where Is My Mind?" every three minutes in the ads during the basketball games, I would have chosen the other one. But given how foggy my brain is today, the song title is fitting.

- Both songs by The Band, but I really enjoyed "The Rumor" and don't remember hearing it before. I don't know as much of The Band's stuff as I should.
The Rumor is the closer of Stage Fright, their third album. That record doesn't get as much praise as their first two, because nothing does, but it's an extremely good disc. It also gets short shrift in band lore because the sessions were difficult.

I wonder if Binky will take anything from it, as it was engineered by Todd Rundgren.

Last edited:
John Maddens Lunchbox:

Boys Don't Cry - The Cure (Rhodesia)
(new artist)

Huh???
Their original bass player was born in Rhodesia. The other original members were Brits.
PeriodMembersReleases
May 1978 – November 1979

Last edited:
Taking a quick scan of tomorrow's list, it looks like we're somewhat backing off from the big names for a day and have a lot more new artists and moderately appreciated ones. Should be fun.

I see we also have a Deja Vote tomorrow, for a song that was guessed as the Ace Award winner but has been eliminated.

Okay, I'll never forget in the aughts hearing the Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps" and Deftones' "Minerva" back-to-back on MTV, completely drunk, completely emo about the whole thing.

When Karen O. starts crying or Chino says "God Bless you..." and all that. Riveting stuff.

"Maps" is one I've talked about at length before. Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" totally stole an indie riff and re-packaged it for mainstream pop consumption. It's quite the song, and it made the Yeah Yeah Yeahs a household name in the rock and roll world because of its awesomeness.

eta* Thanks for the shout, shuke. Even though I deadpanned at first, I love this track. I even ordered a shirt from YYY with the lyrics to "Maps" printed on it. It was too big, though, so it went back.

Last edited:
So I guess my selection won’t qualify as all aces to at least one person >.> . What can I say? Certainly nothing wrong with Don’t Dream It’s Over, I went for this fairly catchy song, upbeat yet with a hint of darker times in the lyrics.

#19s
Recognized by title alone: 18
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 2
Didn't know: 20

Selected Favorites:
Vienna Calling (rockaction)
Judith (higgins)
Send Me An Angel (zamboni) - Definitely the flashback of the day!
Red Right Hand (Chaos34)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Over Everything (Dr. Octopus)
Jacknuggeted (The Dreaded Marco)
Get Out Of Your Lazy Bed (JML2: The Quickening)
Old Town (Hov34)

Dig The Vibe:
Peut-etre (ditkaburgers)

Taking a quick scan of tomorrow's list, it looks like we're somewhat backing off from the big names for a day and have a lot more new artists and moderately appreciated ones. Should be fun.

I see we also have a Deja Vote tomorrow, for a song that was guessed as the Ace Award winner but has been eliminated.

I wrote this and now am not so sure. There are still a lot of big names tomorrow. My brain hurts.

There definitely is a Deja Vote, though. And maybe some other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread