What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Just flew in from New York to Los Angeles, and I thought you guys would get a kick out of this: I’m flying first class- I have to these days because of my back. Anyhow my wife and daughter are across from me and there’s this young guy sitting next to me. He saw that I was listening to The Band on my phone and he told me it was his favorite and we got into a big discussion about music. Early 30s but he likes all the old stuff I like. Then he introduced himself as Alex, said he worked for Rolling Stone magazine. I said “great what do you do?” He said, “CEO”. I said “wait are you related to Jann Wenner?” “He’s my dad”.

Not being shy I told him I was part of a music discussion group online and that we trashed his latest top 500 song list a couple of years ago. Hey gotta be honest right? He laughed and said he hated some of the choices too; it was a vote of 300 “experts”. But he was glad it generated discussion. Really nice guy.

Just flew in from New York to Los Angeles, and I thought you guys would get a kick out of this: I’m flying first class- I have to these days because of my back. Anyhow my wife and daughter are across from me and there’s this young guy sitting next to me. He saw that I was listening to The Band on my phone and he told me it was his favorite and we got into a big discussion about music. Early 30s but he likes all the old stuff I like. Then he introduced himself as Alex, said he worked for Rolling Stone magazine. I said “great what do you do?” He said, “CEO”. I said “wait are you related to Jann Wenner?” “He’s my dad”.

Not being shy I told him I was part of a music discussion group online and that we trashed his latest top 500 song list a couple of years ago. Hey gotta be honest right? He laughed and said he hated some of the choices too; it was a vote of 300 “experts”. But he was glad it generated discussion. Really nice guy.

This is cool AF. You should have given him a link to the forum. :lmao:

I know right? Didn’t think of it.

What’s funny is that we were deep into album discussions before he told me who he was. I was seriously impressed that somebody that young would know so much about 60s and 70s rock and blues.

I know right? Didn’t think of it.

What’s funny is that we were deep into album discussions before he told me who he was. I was seriously impressed that somebody that young would know so much about 60s and 70s rock and blues.

Yeah, that's fantastic. @Uruk-Hai , maybe the son isn't like his dad?

@Manster nice pick with Right in Two. 10,000 Days has turned into my favorite album of theirs. It was hard to leave off this one and Rosetta Stoned from my submission. I see even @Pip's Invitation liked it. 👍
I love how Right in 2 builds, and lyrically it's one of most straight forward Tool songs......yet it's so powerful......essentially we are given everything......we have the ability to reason, yet we are often very unreasonable with each other.

10k Days, and Lateralus are both epic....can't choose between em

Eh, I'm laughing but don't know how everybody would take that, so...I'm deleting what I had here.

Almost needless to say, the thought of Uruk or Pip meeting Jann Wenner's kid in first class of an airplane had me in stitches.

Air rage!
Lol it’s probably bad enough that I ripped the 500 list. Suppose I had said “hey I know these dudes from this discussion board that blame your dad for ruining popular music and offering revisionist, false history.” That would have gone over great!

Is Red Right Hand the the most perfect theme song(Peaky Blinders) for its show, ever? It's perfect! I'm quite fond of both the song, and show.

Weird, I had a friend email me today to ask what I thought of Peaky Blinders, which I've never watched and didn't even know what it was about. Looked it up when I got his message, and it does look interesting.
Pretty brutal, gritty post WW1 English gangster kinda thing......I really enjoyed it.
Cillian Murphy, the main character, is great....Tom Hardy as a Jewish gangster is awesome.....lots of good characters. Lots of drama, intrigue, cruelty, etc.....oh, and it may have the record for most whisky and cigs consumed in a show.

Is Red Right Hand the the most perfect theme song(Peaky Blinders) for its show, ever? It's perfect! I'm quite fond of both the song, and show.

Weird, I had a friend email me today to ask what I thought of Peaky Blinders, which I've never watched and didn't even know what it was about. Looked it up when I got his message, and it does look interesting.
Pretty brutal, gritty post WW1 English gangster kinda thing......I really enjoyed it.
Cillian Murphy, the main character, is great....Tom Hardy as a Jewish gangster is awesome.....lots of good characters. Lots of drama, intrigue, cruelty, etc.....oh, and it may have the record for most whisky and cigs consumed in a show.

I think this applies here ... :lmao::lmao:

Taking a quick scan of tomorrow's list, it looks like we're somewhat backing off from the big names for a day and have a lot more new artists and moderately appreciated ones. Should be fun.

I see we also have a Deja Vote tomorrow, for a song that was guessed as the Ace Award winner but has been eliminated.

I wrote this and now am not so sure. There are still a lot of big names tomorrow. My brain hurts.

There definitely is a Deja Vote, though. And maybe some other stuff.
Here you go.

My song today was "Where Is My Mind?" by The Pixies. It was between that and another of their songs for me, and if I'd known I'd hear a cover of "Where Is My Mind?" every three minutes in the ads during the basketball games, I would have chosen the other one. But given how foggy my brain is today, the song title is fitting.
Could be worse. I picked ”Feeling Good” as my Nina Simone song in the US countdown, but I lately just associate it with some terrible rendition of it providing background music for the discussion of some drug’s deleterious side effects.

Eh, I'm laughing but don't know how everybody would take that, so...I'm deleting what I had here.

Almost needless to say, the thought of Uruk or Pip meeting Jann Wenner's kid in first class of an airplane had me in stitches.

Air rage!
I wouldn’t be rude. Maybe a little condescending, but not rude.

Air rage!
I wouldn’t be rude. Maybe a little condescending, but not rude.
I would be rude. Just in case anyone was wondering. No Thumper Rule there, baby.

My song today was "Where Is My Mind?" by The Pixies. It was between that and another of their songs for me, and if I'd known I'd hear a cover of "Where Is My Mind?" every three minutes in the ads during the basketball games, I would have chosen the other one. But given how foggy my brain is today, the song title is fitting.

The Pixies have a bunch of songs that could have made mine. Choosing one was hard. I like this one a lot.

Known to Me Favorites

99 Luftballons - Nena (Andy Dufresne) - it doesn't seem to matter where you hear it, a shared nostalgia for this song unites all types of Gen-Xers
Over Everything - Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile (Dr. Octopus)
Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (shuke) - Love this, and the positioning on the playlist next to my Strokes pick was an excellent 8 minutes of early aughts cheer, if I do say so myself.
Where Is My Mind? - The Pixies (krista4) - I couldn't decide which Pixies songs to pick, so I didn't pick any. At least I think I didn't.
Something So Strong - Crowded House (Mt. Man)
Boys Don't Cry - The Cure (John Maddens Lunchbox)
Send Me An Angel - Real Life (zamboni) - ♥️
Red Right Hand - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Chaos34)

New to Me Songs I Really Liked

Time To Get A Gun - Fred Eaglesmith (Mister CIA)
Move Your Feet - Junior Senior (Eephus)
Old Town - Say Sue Me (Hov34)
Judith - Perfect Circle (higgins)
You Let My Tyres Down - Tropical **** Storm (Oliver Humanzee)

Fourteen-Point Selections:

timschochet:

’39 - Queen
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Breathe Me - Sia (Australian artist)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Fight The Good Fight - Triumph (Canada)
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Take It Easy On Me - Little River Band
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (US/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

Don Quixote:

Hoppípolla - Sigur Ros (Iceland)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Drinking Water (Aqua de Beber) - Antonio Carlos Jobim and Frank Sinatra (Brazil and US)
(both new artists)

scorchy:

Capital Punishment - :Wumpscut: (Germany)
(new artist)

shuke:

Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings …...........Paul/Linda
(new song)

Sullie:

Shadow Of Your Love - Guns N' Roses (Slash's hat was too big and glorious for the other threads but not for this one.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Distractions - Zero 7 (Australia)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Cult of Personality - Living Colour
(new song, but two votes today!)

Mrs. Rannous:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Kelly Watch The Stars - Air (French)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Tattooed Love Boys - The Pretenders
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Things In Life - Dennis Brown
(new artist)

worrierking:

The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/England)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

krista4:

Where Does The Time Go? - The Bamboos (feat. Aloe Blacc) (Australia/US)
(both new artists)

Mt. Man:

Walk In The Shadows - Queensryche (US band, German singer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Baby Come Back - The Equals (Guyana)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Incubus Succubus II - Xmal Deutschland (Germany)
(new artist)

simey:

Forget What I Said - Noora Noor (Dubai - United Arab Emirates)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad (Netherlands)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees (Davey is British, Mike is a US guy)
(new song)

landryshat:

Let Me Be - Xavier Rudd (Australia)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Tukoh Taka - Myriam Fares, Nicki Minaj and Maluma (Lebanon)
(Minaj – new song; Fares and Maluma – both new artists)

MAC_32:

Get Free - The Vines (Okay, isn't any way Krista believes me)
(new song)

jwb:

Sunday Girl - Blondie
(new song)

Eephus:

Purple Sneakers - You Am I
(new artist)

Hov34:

Alligator - Of Monsters And Men
(new song)

Manster:

Banjo Odyssey - The Dead South
(new song)

simsarge:

I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS (My favorite video in this list. The little girl on her dad's shoulders at the beginning makes me smile from ear to ear)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs; A-Trak
(Yeah Yeah Yeahs – new song; A-Trak – new artist)

Doug B:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour
(second vote today!)

westerberg:

Seek & Destroy - Metallica
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Burden - Opeth
(new song)

higgins:

(Nothing but) Flowers - Talking Heads (UK/US mix)
(new song)

zamboni:

The Night Owls - Little River Band (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Insanely Jealous Of You - The Soft Boys
(new song)

Chaos34:

November Rain - Guns N’ Roses
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful
(new artist)

Props to @Mummy4 and @jwb for getting the word "Sunday" into their picks today.

I was correct to begin with last night - lots of new stuff today, with only two songs that had been chosen in previous rounds!

In case you're wondering what's going on with @MAC_32 's comments, if you read from the bottom up, these have been his last five picks: :lol:

14-Get Free-The Vines-Okay, isn't any way Krista believes me

13-Pretty Vegas-INXS-I swear!

12-Israel's Son-Silverchair-Australia pt I swear putting them in order wasn't planned

11-Whole Lotta Rosie-AC/DC-Australia pt 2

10-Woman-Wolfmother-Australia pt 1

Back to yesterday: “Daydream Believer” was written by singer songwriter John Stewart, who released several albums in the early 70s and beyond. I started listening to them a few years back and he’s very good with several songs, like “Kansas Rain” and “Wheatfield Lady” making my playlists. Country folk vibe which is right up my alley.

another great round people - they keep getting stronger

known to me favs

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson w/ Bruno MarsDrIanMalcolmnot my typical jam - but this thing just grabs ya
Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five - Wingsshuke"Band on the Run" was in my initial little set of albums as a teen and loved this
Cult of Personality - Living ColourHawks64so very close to making my top 31 …great song
Red Barchetta - RushMrs. Rannousunapoligetic Rush fan here and this is a classic
Tatooed Love Boys - PretendersRaging Weaseldamn it, forgot about this one, Pretenders finished #41 for me
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experienceworrierkinghope everyone has Jimi somewhere on there list
Baby Come Back - The EqualsJML's secret identitywow - memories as a kid listening to AM …and Eddy Grant!!
Get Free - The VinesMAC 32rocker - I get these guys mixed up with The Hives a lot
Seek and Destroy - Metallicawesterbergnever been a headbanger, but sometimes you just gotta …this is one of those
The Night Owl - Little River Bandzamboniwe pooped on these guys when this was a hit …but secretly liked it, these guys are so good
Dreams - Fleetwood MacZegras11I'll vote for this any day
Summer In The City - The Lovin' SpoonfulAAABatteries8 yr old mummy thought this was about the coolest song ever …and I still do

new to me favs

Forget What I Said - Noora Noorsimeyhow did I ever miss this? Awesome.
Burden - OpethKarmaPolicebeautiful and operatic …in a somewhat prog way …KP "prog guy" dare I say???

Back to yesterday: “Daydream Believer” was written by singer songwriter John Stewart, who released several albums in the early 70s and beyond. I started listening to them a few years back and he’s very good with several songs, like “Kansas Rain” and “Wheatfield Lady” making my playlists. Country folk vibe which is right up my alley.
He was also a member of The Kingston Trio from 1961 to 1967.

Did not know that. Thank you.

Could be worse. I picked ”Feeling Good” as my Nina Simone song in the US countdown, but I lately just associate it with some terrible rendition of it providing background music for the discussion of some drug’s deleterious side effects.
O O O Ozempic...

Ugh.

Mrs. Rannous:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(new song)
I love that Mrs. R and simey are Rush fans (krista: forgot whether you are, so apologies if you are as well).

As mentioned way up thread, I saw an excellent Rush cover band (creatively named “The Rush Tribute Project”) on Thursday night. I’m guessing there were a few hundred people there and I’d say about 5% at most were women. Mostly dudes in their 40s/50s/60s head bobbing and air drumming in unison.

That’s gold.

known to me favs

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson w/ Bruno MarsDrIanMalcolmnot my typical jam - but this thing just grabs ya
Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five - Wingsshuke"Band on the Run" was in my initial little set of albums as a teen and loved this
Cult of Personality - Living ColourHawks64so very close to making my top 31 …great song
Red Barchetta - RushMrs. Rannousunapoligetic Rush fan here and this is a classic
Tatooed Love Boys - PretendersRaging Weaseldamn it, forgot about this one, Pretenders finished #41 for me
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experienceworrierkinghope everyone has Jimi somewhere on there list
Baby Come Back - The EqualsJML's secret identitywow - memories as a kid listening to AM …and Eddy Grant!!
Get Free - The VinesMAC 32rocker - I get these guys mixed up with The Hives a lot
Seek and Destroy - Metallicawesterbergnever been a headbanger, but sometimes you just gotta …this is one of those
The Night Owl - Little River Bandzamboniwe pooped on these guys when this was a hit …but secretly liked it, these guys are so good
Summer In The City - The Lovin' SpoonfulAAABatteries8 yr old mummy thought this was about the coolest song ever …and I still do

new to me favs

Burden - OpethKarmaPolicebeautiful and operatic …in a somewhat prog way …KP "prog guy" dare I say???

Yes, I would agree that it's safe to say that I have a prog lean, and Opeth leans that way. I have always been a fan of things like epic drumming, concept albums, and songs that switch tones and/or have rises and falls the music. That all points to prog, and the metal Iike leans that direction - Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Death, Operation: Mindcrime, and others. I think just like metal, my tolerance for prog boils down to the vocals a lot. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater grate on me in that department, but I can appreciate the musicianship.

known to me favs

new to me favs

Yes, I would agree that it's safe to say that I have a prog lean, and Opeth leans that way. I have always been a fan of things like epic drumming, concept albums, and songs that switch tones and/or have rises and falls the music. That all points to prog, and the metal Iike leans that direction - Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Death, Operation: Mindcrime, and others. I think just like metal, my tolerance for prog boils down to the vocals a lot. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater grate on me in that department, but I can appreciate the musicianship.
I read a great Rush quote on YouTube just this morning:

“Rush may not be your favorite band, but they’re probably your favorite band’s favorite band.”

known to me favs

new to me favs

“Rush may not be your favorite band, but they’re probably your favorite band’s favorite band.”

Author! Author!

known to me favs

new to me favs

Author! Author!
I’m way behind on my Goldbergs watching, but that guy kept me coming back. 🦉

Users who are viewing this thread