What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

:coffee:
I didn't see if there was a decision on if we are getting the songs today, but I just had the random thought that mine has some religious and resurrection themes going on and it would be fitting if it was on Easter.
According to the artist(s) that wrote my song today, it was influenced by gospel, and there is a sentence in the chorus that is taken from the Bible.
My songs mentions jokers and thieves - make whatever connection to the Catholic Church that you will.

that's much more Jehovah Witness - hell, "Watchtower" is the name of their "bulletin leaflets"
A moderator deleted my post in the past when I said Jehovah Witnesses worship the doorbell.
That is hilarious!!

“Fade to Black” was really Metallica’s first ballad. Here meaning slow(er), rather than romantic, given the song’s major theme. This one hit deep in both the music and the lyrics in my high school years. There's been a long of growing up (or pretending to) since then, but there's always a little bit of that spark that's carried over since I was a teenager, no matter how much I've changed.

In other news, I decided that this was another random 5x5 day. 5 songs in each from Favorites and Didn’t Know. Maybe I’ll try to keep this up ‘til the finish. But no promises! The “Dig the Vibe” choice was quite hard today too.

#12s
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 3
Didn't know: 15

Selected Favorites:
Carefree Highway (Andy Dufrense)
Crazy (Sullie) - It took a while to recognize, but yeah, I have a deep memory of this song.
Starseed (MAC_32)
Lucky Ones (simsarge)
Sheena Is a Punk Rocker (westerberg) - Would’ve been my Ramones pick

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Killing the Blues (Dr. Octopus)
In Your Bright Ray (The Dreaded Marco)
Propane Nightmares (titusbramble) - Catchy song, and is that the theme to Inspector Gadget mixed in?
The Dawn (landryshat)
Shoot High, Aim Low (higgins)

Dig the Vibe: Senegal Fast Food (Ilov80s)

Twenty-One-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Top Of The World - Shonen Knife
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Changes - Yes (English and South African band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Coyote - Joni Mitchell (Canada)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Overkill - Colin Hay
(duplicate, second vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Burning Of The Midnight Lamp - Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/UK)
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Khala My Friend - Amanaz (Zambia)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Everything's Coming Our Way - Santana (Mexico and US)
(new song)

scorchy:

Weather With You - Crowded House (Australia, New Zealand)
(new song)

shuke:

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann…...........Born in South Africa
(new artist)

Sullie:

All Day And All Of The Night - Scorpions (They're German. I wanted to write something funny but I got nothin' - love this band.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

One With The Freaks - The Notwist
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Turning Green - Courtney Barnett
(new song)

Hawks64:

Slice Of Your Pie - Motley Crue
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Somebody To Love - Queen (Madagascar)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Young Folks - Peter, Bjorn and John (Swedish)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

T.N.T. - AC/DC
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Neighborhood #3 - Arcade Fire
(new song)

worrierking:

Sufficiently Breathless - Captain Beyond (US/England)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Low Rider - War (Denmark, US)
(duplicate, third vote)

krista4:

Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys (UK/US)
(duplicate, second vote)

Mt. Man:

Do You Love Me? - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (4 countries/mostly Australian)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Battle Scars - Guy Sebastian (feat. Lupe Fiasco) (Malaysia)
(both new artists)

otb_lifer:

Guns Of Navarone (live) - The Specials (Jamaica - various members)
(new song)

simey:

Slippery People - Talking Heads (USA, Scotland)
(new song)

rockaction:

Israelites - Desmond Dekker (jamaica)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

How Can I Be Sure - The Rascals (Gene Cornish guitarist born in Canada)
(new artist)

landrys hat:

Dove - Cymande (Guyana)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Stone Cold Crazy - Queen (ZANZIBAR!!!)
(new song)

jwb:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
(new song)

Eephus:

Rosalie / (Cowgirls' Song) (Live and Dangerous Version) - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

Hov34:

High And Low - Empire Of The Sun
(new artist)

Manster:

Reality Fades - Weedpecker
(new artist)

simsarge:

Somebody's Out There - Triumph (Ohh Canada)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Lay It All On Me - Rudimental (feat. Ed Sheeran)
(new song for both artists)

Doug B:

Synchronicity II - The Police
(duplicate, fifth vote)

westerberg:

Holy Wars....The Punishment Due - Megadeth ‘
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2) - Tool
(new song)

higgins:

No One Like You - Scorpions (Germany)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Kind Woman - Buffalo Springfield (Canada)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) - Neil Young
(duplicate, third vote)

(Pip has selected this cover for today.)

Oliver Humanzee:

The Weight - The Band
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

Beat On The Brat - Ramones
(duplicate, second vote)

AAABatteries:

The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov
(new artist)

1. It’s Deja VoteVu All Over Again.

Which of the following top scorers in prior countdowns will NOT have a song covered in this countdown: (a) The Beatles, (b) David Bowie, (c) Bob Dylan (taken - All Along the Watchtower), (d) The Kinks (taken - All Day And All Of The Night), or (e) none of the above (all will be covered)?

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

The link is to the Last Waltz version, which is on Spotify and is where I first came across the song. My father and stepmother had the Last Waltz set on LP and we would watch it whenever it came on during a PBS pledge drive. This was my first exposure to Joni as something other than the folkie of "Both Sides Now" and such.

As lovely as that version is, it's on my list for the studio version, which is one of her best collaborations with Jaco Pastorius and of course is not on Spotify. It's as if she's singing a duet with Jaco's bass. I also love the imagery, which was inspired partly by a road trip she took and partly by her affair with Sam Shepard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KBohkaHDE

Twenty-One-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Top Of The World - Shonen Knife
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Changes - Yes (English and South African band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Overkill - Colin Hay
(duplicate, second vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Burning Of The Midnight Lamp - Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/UK)
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Khala My Friend - Amanaz (Zambia)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Everything's Coming Our Way - Santana (Mexico and US)
(new song)

scorchy:

Weather With You - Crowded House (Australia, New Zealand)
(new song)

shuke:

Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann…...........Born in South Africa
(new artist)

Sullie:

All Day And All Of The Night - Scorpions (They're German. I wanted to write something funny but I got nothin' - love this band.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

One With The Freaks - The Notwist
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Turning Green - Courtney Barnett
(new song)

Hawks64:

Slice Of Your Pie - Motley Crue
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Somebody To Love - Queen (Madagascar)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Young Folks - Peter, Bjorn and John (Swedish)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

T.N.T. - AC/DC
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Neighborhood #3 - Arcade Fire
(new song)

worrierking:

Sufficiently Breathless - Captain Beyond (US/England)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Low Rider - War (Denmark, US)
(duplicate, third vote)

krista4:

Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys (UK/US)
(duplicate, second vote)

Mt. Man:

Do You Love Me? - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (4 countries/mostly Australian)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Battle Scars - Guy Sebastian (feat. Lupe Fiasco) (Malaysia)
(both new artists)

otb_lifer:

Guns Of Navarone (live) - The Specials (Jamaica - various members)
(new song)

simey:

Slippery People - Talking Heads (USA, Scotland)
(new song)

rockaction:

(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

How Can I Be Sure - The Rascals (Gene Cornish guitarist born in Canada)
(new artist)

landrys hat:

Dove - Cymande (Guyana)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley (Jamaica)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Stone Cold Crazy - Queen (ZANZIBAR!!!)
(new song)

jwb:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
(new song)

Eephus:

Rosalie / (Cowgirls' Song) (Live and Dangerous Version) - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

Hov34:

High And Low - Empire Of The Sun
(new artist)

Manster:

Reality Fades - Weedpecker
(new artist)

simsarge:

(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Lay It All On Me - Rudimental (feat. Ed Sheeran)
(new song for both artists)

Doug B:

Synchronicity II - The Police
(duplicate, fifth vote)

westerberg:

Holy Wars....The Punishment Due - Megadeth ‘
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2) - Tool
(new song)

higgins:

No One Like You - Scorpions (Germany)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Kind Woman - Buffalo Springfield (Canada)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) - Neil Young
(duplicate, third vote)

(Pip has selected this cover for today.)

Oliver Humanzee:

The Weight - The Band
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

Beat On The Brat - Ramones
(duplicate, second vote)

AAABatteries:

The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov
(new artist)
The 21 Pointers playlist

sous vide'in some ribeyes and made our favorite pasta salad (smoked gouda, marinated artichoke hearts, blackened red bell pepper, pine nuts and baby spinach with Greek dressing) and waitin' for the Masters baby!!

known to me favs from today (previously not commented on)

Changes - YesJust Win Babymore of the later version of Yes - it's not the Yes I would order up, but it's still damn good …I'm in!
Burning of the Midnight Lamp - The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceDrIanMalcolmgreat lesser known pick!
Everything's Coming Our Way - SantanaDoctor Octopuswow - I had completely forgotten about this song - brings back jr. high and hammering some Stroh's quarts
Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mannshukehey, who doesn't like this song? I mean come on - better than the Bruce version and it's got "doosh" in it
Somebody To Love - QueenMrs. Rannousone of many Queen classics
TNT - AC/DCRaging Weaselanother one of those headbangers that still manage to pull me in
Slippery People - Talking Headssimeythat driving beat in so many of their songs just grabs you immediately
Israelites - Desmond Dekkerrockactionwhoa - memories of mini-golf $1 Day and this playing through the big speaker in the middle of the course
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queenjwbanother Queen classic - really like them, just didn't have any of their stuff that made my top 31
Sychronicity - The PoliceDoug Boof - I love my Police pick - but had forgotten about this tune …coulda been a better pick for me
No One Like You - Scorpionshigginshmm …another headbanger song I like …am I a headbanger guy? No, can't be.

known to me favs (previously commented on)

Overkill - Colin HatAndy D
Low Rider - WarVal Rannous
Hey Hey, My My - Neil YoungZegras11

new to me favs from today

Weather With You - Crowded Housescorchyjust a nice pleasant tune - fits in mellow playlist really well
One With The Freaks - The NotwistThe Dreaded Marcois this what's called "shoe gaze"? I closed my eyes and pictured knit beanie hats and black low-top Converses
Dove - Cymandelandry's hatthis is not something that I'm normally drawn to - but fits perfect with little mellow vibe on my "new" list

Scanning through the last few pages. Never occurred to me that Hot Hot Heat were eligible, probably wouldn't have picked them anyway but they had two or three great songs around the time they released Bandages, not quite sure why I didn't pick up the album at the time as it didn't take much for me to say "buy this album" around then. Oh to be pretending to study things with beer at less than two quid a pint again

rockaction:

(new artist)
And there's the song I totally whiffed on. Thanks for picking it. I feel like a doofus.

Just realized this morning that I’ve had landrys hat’s name as one word instead of two throughout the countdown, so we’re probably going to have to start over anyway.

Play the Game -- Queen (Doc Oc). Apparently this was released as a single but I don't recognize it. Definitely a Beatles-via-ELO vibe going on here.
It's the first track on their album The Game.
I knew that. Not an album I’ve listened to.
Except for the first song, now.
And now "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"- last song side one. Might even see a couple more of those songs. It's a very good album.

And there's the song I totally whiffed on. Thanks for picking it. I feel like a doofus.

Welcome to my world. It mek two of us.

Seriously, "Isrealites" the day on the same Easter Sunday as "Guns of Navarone." Great minds and all. Two ska specials for you all. Toast!

On that note, happy Easter if you worship; happy Sunday if you just want that light ska feeling in the sun today. (It's beautiful here. 78 and sunny. Makes me think of the ska, you heard?)

It appears that @KarmaPolice was coming to us from the future yesterday with one of his posts.

In addition, we'll have an Ace Award guess taken tomorrow, but...it will simultaneously be knocked out of the competition when the artist also has a second song selected.

Last edited:
“Do You Love Me?” Well, I’m probably asking the wrong people here. Anyway, my introduction to Nick Cave was from a mixed CD a co-worker had in the mid 90s. From there a few stuck with me, naturally including this one. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if another song on Let Love In gets a little more…well, love.

#11s
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 5
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 16

Selected Favorites:
Top Of The World (timschochet) – Certainly I know the original better, but this cover had a lot of charm.
Blinded By the Light (shuke)
Somebody To Love (Mrs. Rannous)
Young Folks (titusbramble)
Somebody’s Out There (simsarge)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Khala My Friend (Don Quixote)
One With The Freaks (The Dreaded Marco)
Sufficiently Breathless (worrierking)
Battle Scars (JML2 Fast 2 Furious)
Reality Fades (Manster)

Top 10: 5 have been taken, by at least one person.
From the other 5, at least 4 artists have strong showings so far. Only krista knows if they all finish Top 10, but plausibly? 2 have one song getting the lion's share of votes, the other two are more scattershot. The other artist is one that I'm sure we'll see pop up frequently towards the top -- just for a different song than I picked.

Eighteen-Point Selections:

shuke:

1-November Rain - Guns N’ Roses …...........Slash is British
(duplicate, second vote)

Ilov80s:

2-The Hills - The Weeknd
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

3-Sastanaqqam - Tinariwen
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

4-The Modern Age - The Strokes (Brazil)
(new song)

Eephus:

5-Knowing Me, Knowing You - ABBA
(new song)

Chaos34:

6-The Ecstasy Of Gold - Ennio Morricone
(new song)
Backdated look at the 18s

1- Already commented on this one. This may sound grumpy, but being defined by your place of birth is something that has always pissed me off. As someone who was born in one country and moved to another when I was 1 year of age, I hated being defined, all through school, by my birth country. I didnt identify with it, didnt know anything about it and it was a constant annoyance. So this whole draft is a constant reminder lol. Oh yeah, November Rain...great song. It rules.

2- Hadnt heard this one from the Weeknd. Might have to check out more. He is one very talented guy.

3- We havent seen Tuareg rock for a few rounds. As a regular reader of britains Q Music Magazine...i have every issue, they were quite supportive of Tinariwen. Featured several times, so when this draft came along I knew I had Mali covered. Mdou Moctar was a bonus add by an assist. Didnt realise that Farka, Ali Farka Toure was also part of the Tuareg rock seen.

4- This song would have been much higher, but i felt dirty using the foreign drummer exemption. Unlike Ultravoxs Mr X, the Strokes drummer just thumps the skins and doesnt contribute vocals. Thats left up to Julian and his dry delivery. Brilliant. Heres british comedian Nish Kumar on Drummers, but Coldplays drummer in particular - ColdPlays drummer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmuV7wLCl8

5- Another great Abba song. Kinda pissed I couldnt find room for then, but Norway and Sweden are sort of locks for me elsewhere. Problem with Abba is the dozens of songs I would be choosing between. Not quite as many as Yello’s 40.

6- Another Morricone moment. Wonderful. I probably choose something off the Mission or one of his spaghetti western ones, not this one, but its an excellent choice.

simsarge:

(new song)

As I mentioned in my Triumph dissertation a few pages back, Somebody's Out There was Triumph's highest-charting single in the US and the result of a push from their record company to expand their sound to be more pop-friendly. It was also their current single when I saw them in the fall of 1986. The setlist:

Tears in the Rain
Somebody's Out There
Allied Forces
Lay It on the Line
Midsummer's Daydream
Follow Your Heart/Drum Solo
Take a Stand
Magic Power
Rock and Roll Machine/Guitar Solo
Spellbound

Encore:
Rocky Mountain Way
Fight the Good Fight

Since our Easter dinner is going to be pizza
Oooh. Thanks for the reference. I'm hung up at home and don't feel like cooking.

Well, I just got home from "pizza," and our first choice pizza place posted around 3 pm that they were closed for Easter (thanks for the warning, guys!) and our second place one gave no indication at all other than not being open, so we went for Thai instead. Hope your pizza adventure worked out better.

I knew 22 songs from today's playlist, not counting my own but including repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #11, not including my own pick or Low Rider, which is known to be on my list:

Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black) -- Neil Young (Zegras11)
The Weight -- The Band (OH)
Burning of the Midnight Lamp -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (DrIanMalcolm)
Handle With Care -- The Traveling Wilburys (Krista4)
Weather With You -- Crowded House (Scorchy). This is my #1 Crowded House, and it comes from what I think is their best album, Woodface. That disc benefits not only from the presence of Neil Finn's brother Tim (the record is a fusion of Crowded House and Finn Brothers albums begun as separate projects) but also superlative production and arrangements.
Slippery People -- Talking Heads (Simey). Another bumper from Speaking in Tongues.
Blinded by the Light -- Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Shuke). I can't stand Springsteen's version, but I love this.
Somebody's Out There -- Triumph (Simsarge)
Changes -- Yes (Just Win Baby). Arguably the best track of the Trevor Rabin era of Yes.
T.N.T. -- AC/DC (Raging Weasel)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love -- Queen (jwb). Ready Freddy?
Israelites -- Desmond Dekker (Rockaction)
Kind Woman -- Buffalo Springfield (Zamboni)
Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) -- Arcade Fire (Ilov80s)

Last edited:
Since our Easter dinner is going to be pizza
Oooh. Thanks for the reference. I'm hung up at home and don't feel like cooking.

Well, I just got home from "pizza," and our first choice pizza place posted around 3 pm that they were closed for Easter (thanks for the warning, guys!) and our second place one gave no indication at all other than not being open, so we went for Thai instead. Hope your pizza adventure worked out better.
We had the usual ham, spuds, deviled eggs, etc......also, we had some Marionberry pie cuz that's what the crue would do

Newly posted known favorites:
The Dreaded Marco: One With The Freaks - The Notwist :heart:
Mister CIA: Turning Green - Courtney Barnett
Mrs. Rannous: Somebody To Love - Queen
titusbramble: Young Folks - Peter, Bjorn and John (Swedish) :heart:
Ilov80s: Neighborhood #3 - Arcade Fire
worrierking: Sufficiently Breathless - Captain Beyond :heart:
John Maddens Lunchbox: No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley :heart:
AAABatteries: The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov

:heart: = shukethread™ selections

Favorite new to me:
Don Quixote: Khala My Friend - Amanaz