What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

shuke:

Intervention - Arcade Fire …...........Canadian
(new song)

When I gave Krista my list I hadn't looked hard enough for this link to their SNL performance of this.

I was behind the curve of hearing of them, and this performance absolutely blew me away one Saturday night (I was actually watching while posting here, I know so pathetic, and started a thread about it. In short order they became a top 20 ever group for me.
Probably better off that you didn't. I had to pull the studio version after reading your post to be able to understand one word. The volume of the instrustruments to the mics is way off IMO and drowns out all the lyrics.

@ditkaburgers

Reuf - Nekfeu (feat. Ed Sheeran)
(Nekfeu, new artist; Sheeran, new song)

This may be the most ditkaburgery pick she's made yet. She covers both her French Hip Hop and Ed Sheeran bases with a single pick.

Sheeran's appearance on the chorus lifts the song up even though he's singing in a different language from the rest of the song. Personally, I could do without the 90 second coda bringing it down.

Eephus:

Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane - Gang Of Youths
(new artist)

Sydney band Gang of Youths are one of my favorite current bands. Songwriter David Le'aupepe is equally adept with the intimate and the grandiose. They put out deep, beautifully sequenced albums. Their most recent album angel in realtime was my AOTY last year; it's a concept album about the life and death of Le'aupepe's father.

"Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane" doesn't come from this album though. It's from 2018's Go Farther in Lightness which is a magnificent double album. If I was trying to promote the band or get more likes, I probably should have picked one of their more uptempo numbers but this slow burner moves me deeply.

I saw them at the Fillmore last year. Mrs. Eephus bailed so ditkaburgers went with her old man. It was an epic show; I ended up getting Covid from it but it was totally worth it.
That’s a hell of an endorsement: “Gang of Youths: So good that you won’t care if they give you COVID.”

Well I guess I get Little Guitars all to myself and all BY myself. :kicksrock:

Noooooooo...I forgot this one and wanted to comment on it.

It's probably my second favorite VH song if you made me pick one.

The intro is wonderful, and the transition to the song is excellent.

Catch as catch, catch as catch can
Anybody in their right mind could see, you and me
Catch as catch, catch as catch can
When I see you, all your little guitars sing to me
I may have stated in a previous thread that I always thought Dave was singing etch-a-sketch, etch-a-sketch
Me too!!

Roller -- April Wine (Mister CIA). This is as Grand Funk as Canadians could get. I only know the Nature of the Beast album and anything else that ended up on MTV, which this didn't.
Not sure what you may have heard off of Harder...Faster but that's a solid album as well. I LIke To Rock, Say Hello and my favorite Before the Dawn are all great tunes as well as an excellent cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I don't think there's a bad track on that album.

Known Favorites

Everybody Knows - Leonard Cohen (Mt Man)
Commando - Ramones (otb_lifer)
Closing Time - Leonard Cohen (simey)
Radioactivity - Kraftwerk (John Maddens Lunchbox)
Sister Ray - The Velvet Underground (Oliver Humanzee)
10 Mile Stereo - Beach House (Ilov80s)
Won't Give In - Finn Brothers (worrierking)

New to Me Songs I Really Liked

7 Seconds - Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry
Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane - Gang Of Youths (Eephus)
Kiss The Dirt (Falling Down The Mountain) - INXS (Hov34)
Americans-Soviets II - CCCP (Doug B)

Roller -- April Wine (Mister CIA). This is as Grand Funk as Canadians could get. I only know the Nature of the Beast album and anything else that ended up on MTV, which this didn't.
Not sure what you may have heard off of Harder...Faster but that's a solid album as well. I LIke To Rock, Say Hello and my favorite Before the Dawn are all great tunes as well as an excellent cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I don't think there's a bad track on that album.
Nice call - I was going to post that one. Great song with Brian Greenway doing the occasional lead vocal. https://youtu.be/-pBAxsF4X6I

I like those performance videos they did for the album - same location (Le Studio in Quebec) as Rush did for the Moving Pictures videos.

Nice call - I was going to post that one. Great song with Brian Greenway doing the occasional lead vocal. https://youtu.be/-pBAxsF4X6I

I like those performance videos they did for the album - same location (Le Studio in Quebec) as Rush did for the Moving Pictures videos.
I like Pip's comparison of April Wine to GFR, but April Wine was a better band.

I don't have a deep knowledge of their catalog, but I've never heard a song of theirs I didn't at least like.

I remember a song or two from Power Play that got onto MTV. But nothing earlier than Nature of the Beast.

I keep listening to Lana Del Rey and Sia the past few days. All I can imagine is one of the Three Tenors singing "Chandelier" in that voice of theirs, that's how good Sia is.

I think Pavarotti or Bocelli signing that song would be totally boffo.

That is all. I await today's selections.

I'm going to start doing that whenever I reference a tone or anything. I'm just going to put parenthesis by it so everybody is clear about what I mean. Heh. It'll eliminate almost all of the confusion and iFights I can shake a stick at.

I keep listening to Lana Del Rey and Sia the past few days. All I can imagine is one of the Three Tenors singing "Chandelier" in that voice of theirs, that's how good Sia is.

I saw Lana Del Rey come out and sing a song with Bleachers on Saturday. She has a nice voice.

I saw Lana Del Rey come out and sing a song with Bleachers on Saturday. She has a nice voice.

Very cool. What I'm surprised by is how the lyrics in her songwriting get at the zeitgeist so extraordinarily. At least I think so.

"Video Games" and "The greatest" (no sic) are really outstandingly written and have haunted me the past few days. Sadcore, they call it. Whatever it is, it's really well done and emotional.

eta* And you met simey. Sounds like a weekend to be jealous of. Nice stuff.

Definitely two of the better pop acts to come around the last 10 years or so

Thirty-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Save It For Later - The Beat
(duplicate, third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (American and English band members)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

2112 - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Don't Change - INXS
(duplicate, fifth vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac (UK/US)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

Don Quixote:

All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (UK-US; Hendrix - US; Mitchell and Redding - England)
(duplicate, fourth AND fifth votes today!)

Dr. Octopus:

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominoes (US and UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Cortez The Killer - Neil Young (Canada)
(new song)

(from scorchy: please use this for playlist)

shuke:

Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith …...........Ric Grech from France
(duplicate, third vote)

Sullie:

Me Wise Magic - Van Halen (Van Halen boys wore wooden shoes.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Under The Milky Way - The Church
(duplicate, third vote)

Mister CIA:

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite (Mutt (US/Ukraine/Japan))
(new artist)

(@Ilov80s , hyphen!)

Hawks64:

You & Me - Dave Matthews Band
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Soul Sacrifice (live at Woodstock) - Santana
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) - Arcade Fire (Canadian)
(duplicate, second vote)

(@Ilov80s , I did not have in the parenthetical in the title the first time posted but have corrected here)

Raging weasel:

All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Ilov80s:

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas
(duplicate, third vote)

worrierking:

Powderfinger - Neil Young (Canada)
(duplicate, third vote)

(from worrierking: Use Beat Farmers cover)

Val Rannous:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (Zanzibar, UK)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

krista4:

Óleo de mujer con sombrero - Silvio Rodriguez (Cuba)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

Overkill - Men At Work (Australian band)
(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Ahimsa - U2 and A.R. Rahman (India)
(U2, new artist; Rahman, new song)

otb_lifer:

The Mercy Seat - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australia)
(new song)

simey:

The Weight - The Band (Canada, USA) From simey: In loving memory of Olin (randall146)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

rockaction:

Contact - Daft Punk (France)
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Spirit Of Radio - Rush (Canada) (Canadian band eh)
(new song)

landrys hat:

A Minha Menina - Os Mutantes (Brazil)
(duplicate, second vote)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Blade Runner End Titles - Vangelis (Greece)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Right In Two - Tool (Bassist is a Brit, rest are American)
(duplicate, second vote)

jwb:

No. 13 Baby - The Pixies
(new song)

Eephus:

Rockaway Beach - Ramones
(new song)

Hov34:

Into Temptation - Crowded House
(new song)

Manster:

Lateralus - Tool
(duplicate, third vote, third different spelling)

simsarge:

Saved By Love - Rik Emmett (Canada) (I've seen Triumph twice and Rik Emmet 4 times (all acoustic, shows including getting duped into seeing him at NOT Daryl's "House". Turns out Daryl's "House" that you see on the TV show is not the "Daryl's House" that us common folk go to see music acts.)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Euphoria - BTS
(new song)

Doug B:

Miracles - Jefferson Starship
(new artist)

westerberg:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Concert Version) - The Band
(duplicate, fourth vote)

KarmaPolice:

Cowboy Song (live) - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

higgins:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Jacob’s Ladder (live) - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil Young
(duplicate, second vote)

(from Pip: Except for Josie Cotton, the best Cowgirl covers aren't on Spotify. Most of the ones that are tend toward dull country arrangements (looking at you, Byrds). I'm fascinated by this version by New Folder, which teeters between brilliant and barely competent. I think Neil would approve.)

Oliver Humanzee:

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, sixth vote)

AAABatteries:

Shoot To Thrill - AC/DC
(new song)

Thirty-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Save It For Later - The Beat
(duplicate, third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (American and English band members)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

2112 - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Don't Change - INXS
(duplicate, fifth vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac (UK/US)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

Don Quixote:

All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (UK-US; Hendrix - US; Mitchell and Redding - England)

Dr. Octopus:

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The Dominoes (US and UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

(new song)

(from scorchy: please use this for playlist)

shuke:

Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith …...........Ric Grech from France
(duplicate, third vote)

Sullie:

(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Under The Milky Way - The Church
(duplicate, third vote)

Mister CIA:

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite (Mutt (US/Ukraine/Japan))
(new artist)

(@Ilov80s , hyphen!)

Hawks64:

You & Me - Dave Matthews Band
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Soul Sacrifice (live at Woodstock) - Santana
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

(duplicate, second vote)

(@Ilov80s , I did not have in the parenthetical in the title the first time posted but have corrected here)

Raging weasel:

Ilov80s:

(duplicate, third vote)

worrierking:

Powderfinger - Neil Young (Canada)
(duplicate, third vote)

(from worrierking: Use Beat Farmers cover)

Val Rannous:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (Zanzibar, UK)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

krista4:

Óleo de mujer con sombrero - Silvio Rodriguez (Cuba)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Ahimsa - U2 and A.R. Rahman (India)
(U2, new artist; Rahman, new song)

otb_lifer:

(new song)

simey:

The Weight - The Band (Canada, USA) From simey: In loving memory of Olin (randall146)
(duplicate, fifth vote)

rockaction:

Contact - Daft Punk (France)
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Spirit Of Radio - Rush (Canada) (Canadian band eh)
(new song)

landrys hat:

(duplicate, second vote)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Blade Runner End Titles - Vangelis (Greece)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Right In Two - Tool (Bassist is a Brit, rest are American)
(duplicate, second vote)

jwb:

No. 13 Baby - The Pixies
(new song)

Eephus:

Rockaway Beach - Ramones
(new song)

Hov34:

Into Temptation - Crowded House
(new song)

Manster:

Lateralus - Tool
(duplicate, third vote, third different spelling)

simsarge:

Saved By Love - Rik Emmett (Canada) (I've seen Triumph twice and Rik Emmet 4 times (all acoustic, shows including getting duped into seeing him at NOT Daryl's "House". Turns out Daryl's "House" that you see on the TV show is not the "Daryl's House" that us common folk go to see music acts.)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Euphoria - BTS
(new song)

Doug B:

Miracles - Jefferson Starship
(new artist)

westerberg:

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Concert Version) - The Band
(duplicate, fourth vote)

KarmaPolice:

Cowboy Song (live) - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

higgins:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(duplicate, second vote)

zamboni:

Jacob’s Ladder (live) - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil Young
(duplicate, second vote)

(from Pip: Except for Josie Cotton, the best Cowgirl covers aren't on Spotify. Most of the ones that are tend toward dull country arrangements (looking at you, Byrds). I'm fascinated by this version by New Folder, which teeters between brilliant and barely competent. I think Neil would approve.)

Oliver Humanzee:

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, sixth vote)

AAABatteries:

Shoot To Thrill - AC/DC
(new song)
The 30 pointers playlist

@simsarge that song or a cover of that song aren't on Spotify.

rockaction

Contact - Daft Punk

This isn't their best song, but it is an abstract rendering of the beginning of the questioning of us as isolated atoms on an indifferent planet with nothing else out there. It's the last track on Random Access Memories and the last track they'd ever sequence on an album release that wasn't a soundtrack. A fitting ending. Wonderful dance music and grinding distortion at the end. Tweaked. Connectivity accomplished through hypersonic space exploration. G. Force.

Teaser: Daft Punk are legends and the only thing keeping them from my number one slot in modern pop world music is another kind of legend in another hemisphere, one that also embraced both dance and the sociopolitical. An unknown legend, but the first progenitor in a long line of regional music that virtually everybody is familiar with.

So two legends, one virtually unknown outside of his locale, for the price of one countdown.

My work here (lol) is soon done.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised I am the first to tab Jefferson Starship 30 rounds in.

Looks like "Cult of Personality" might have clinches a Top-5 finish.

EDIT: Maybe the same for Rush among the artists? 120 points at one shot ... gotta think the 31-pointers have more spread. Maybe?

... gotta think the 31-pointers have more spread. Maybe?

Not saying you’re right or wrong, but im curious why you think this?

Just an impression. In a disparate group of 40-something people, I'm not expecting any one band to be represented four times in a list of #1 favorite songs ... but then, seeing Rush get listed four times today was eye-opening.
Many of the big Rush fans had their picks saved for the top, present company included. Glad to see 2112 finally picked - was also in the mix for me.

Thirty-Point Selections:

Don Quixote:

scorchy:

(new song)

titusbramble:

(duplicate, second vote)

Raging weasel:

Ilov80s:

(duplicate, third vote)

Mt. Man:

(duplicate, second vote)

otb_lifer:

(new song)

landrys hat:

(duplicate, second vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen
(duplicate, second vote)
These are my favorites of the 30s that I don't think I've highlighted previously.

Pip’s Invitation:

2112 - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

You knew something like this was coming from me. This song and the album it came from is why Rush was able to have the career they did. After three albums of Zeppelinesque hard rock, with prog touches added after Neil Peart joined starting with the second record, Rush had a cult following but little mainstream success. Their label was getting impatient and told them that they would be dropped unless their fourth album performed significantly better. Most bands in that situation would have tailored their sounds to the musical trends of the day to try to garner airplay and sales. But Rush decided that if their career was going to end, they were going to go out on their own terms, and made the album they wanted to make.

Alex Lifeson: "I remember having these conversations about, 'What are we going to do? Are we going to try to make another mini-Led Zeppelin record or are we going to do what we are going to do and continue forward and whatever happens, happens?' ... We fully intended to [not] go down in flames but we were prepared to do that."

For the title track of 2112, which takes up all of side 1, Peart concocted a storyline that blended the principles of Ayn Rand with those of Pete Townshend's Lifehouse concept. That's all well and good, but to me the reason why this stands as Rush's greatest work is its music, which found ways to fuse hard rock and prog in ways that hadn't been done up to that point. Lifeson's guitar work is otherworldly and the arrangements convey all kinds of different moods expertly.

People connected with the album and its epic title track instantly. Within 3 months of its release, the album had outsold the band's first three records combined, and to date it is the band's second-biggest seller after Moving Pictures. Most importantly, it established Rush as a band that could draw record buyers and concertgoers consistently, and enabled them to have artistic freedom for the rest of their career. When Ghost Rider did his Rush countdown on this board, he ranked the title track of 2112 at the top, and no one disputed it. (Leaving Working Man out of his top 50 was another story.)

... gotta think the 31-pointers have more spread. Maybe?

Not saying you’re right or wrong, but im curious why you think this?

Just an impression. In a disparate group of 40-something people, I'm not expecting any one band to be represented four times in a list of #1 favorite songs ... but then, seeing Rush get listed four times today was eye-opening.

Interesting. Generally in these we’ve seen the opposite occur, which is why I’ve continually been reminding everyone about math.

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

2112 - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

You knew something like this was coming from me. This song and the album it came from is why Rush was able to have the career they did. After three albums of Zeppelinesque hard rock, with prog touches added after Neil Peart joined starting with the second record, Rush had a cult following but little mainstream success. Their label was getting impatient and told them that they would be dropped unless their fourth album performed significantly better. Most bands in that situation would have tailored their sounds to the musical trends of the day to try to garner airplay and sales. But Rush decided that if their career was going to end, they were going to go out on their own terms, and made the album they wanted to make.

Alex Lifeson: "I remember having these conversations about, 'What are we going to do? Are we going to try to make another mini-Led Zeppelin record or are we going to do what we are going to do and continue forward and whatever happens, happens?' ... We fully intended to [not] go down in flames but we were prepared to do that."

For the title track of 2112, which takes up all of side 1, Peart concocted a storyline that blended the principles of Ayn Rand with those of Pete Townshend's Lifehouse concept. That's all well and good, but to me the reason why this stands as Rush's greatest work is its music, which found ways to fuse hard rock and prog in ways that hadn't been done up to that point. Lifeson's guitar work is otherworldly and the arrangements convey all kinds of different moods expertly.

People connected with the album and its epic title track instantly. Within 3 months of its release, the album had outsold the band's first three records combined, and to date it is the band's second-biggest seller after Moving Pictures. Most importantly, it established Rush as a band that could draw record buyers and concertgoers consistently, and enabled them to have artistic freedom for the rest of their career. When Ghost Rider did his Rush countdown on this board, he ranked the title track of 2112 at the top, and no one disputed it. (Leaving Working Man out of his top 50 was another story.)
Attention all dummies of the worldwide countdown, we have assumed control…

Surprised to see the amount of new songs today! Also happy to see the Rush support!!

known to me favs from today that have not yet been commented on

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-LiteMister CIAalmost made my top 31, surprised to see it this high though
2112 - RushPipthis album was so HUGE when I was a senior - AND it was the last digits of my home phone (no cell phones)
Cortez The Killer - Neil Youngscorchysuch a great Neil song - that sound that defines him
Soul Sacrifice - SantanaMrs. Rannousgreat example of what rock was in the late 60s - so odd how many offshoots came of all this
Rockaway Beach - The RamoneseephusNYC surfer rock - and love it
Into Temptation - Crowded HouseHov34Finn does it again - beautifully crafted song
Miracles - Jefferson StarshipDoug Blove this song - giant hit my senior year, can't tell you the amount of times it was played getting stoned to the
bejeezus belt - not sure if it was worth crushing the Airplane for though
Jacob's Ladder - Rushzamboniso glad to see the Rush support coming in highly ranked (lower)
Shoot To Thrill - AC/DCAAABatteriesdamn it …I'm in

know to me favs from today that been previously commented on

Save It For Later - The Beattimbo
Cult of Personality - Living ColourJust Win Baby
Don't Change - INXSAndy D
Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood MacDrIanMalcolm
All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceDon Quixote
Bell Bottom Blues - Derek And The DominosDr. Octopus
Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faithshukeknew it.
Under The Milky Way - The ChurchThe Dreaded Marcoon my list
Neighborhood #3 - Arcade Firetitus bramble
All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceRaging Weasel
California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The PapasIlove80s
Powderfinger - Neil Youngworrierking
The Weight - The Bandsimey
Red Barchetta - Rushhiggins
Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil YoungZegras11
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - CSNChaos34on my list

slightly more narrow list for NEW to me favs from today - this crowd runs deep with music knowledge and clearly have some favorites from those rich catalogs

Me Wise Magice - Van HalenSulliethought I had heard all of VH's big songs, this sounds different in a really good way
No 13 Baby - The Pixiesjwbmentioned before that I missed out on this group, it's not an every day listen for me - but really like it

Sullie:

(new song)

This song actually popped into my head this morning, a few hours before the playlist was posted. :oldunsure:

Reminds me of when I was a kid and dreamed that Triumph had albums predating Rock and Roll Machine. As an adult I learned that they did! (Those were only released in Canada.)

The English Beat (and that’s what they call themselves) are still around, playing gigs at local dives in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach. A friend of mine and I are going to try and go next time. Should be fun.
They only call themselves that when they're in America.

oh **** ... :lmao:

I started laughing because I thought you were making a food reference joke - like "what do they call Chinese food in China?/what do they call French Toast in France?"

then I looked it up - it's true - I still credit you with the humor.

Users who are viewing this thread