What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

We didn't have cheerleaders until my junior year. They worked basketball, soccer, field hockey and lacrosse games.

We did all basketball and football games. And one soccer game a year. :lol: We most certainly didn't have field hockey or lacrosse, though.
What in the world. The team practices all season for that one game. That would be a tough loss.

Ohhhh, they had many games, but we only cheered for one! Since we're similar ages, you might remember that soccer was not a big deal at the time, though maybe it was better where you were than in the Midwest? Anyway, we didn't GAF about soccer but threw them a bone once per year.
Ooooo. Soccer wasn't a big deal at my high school either back then. In college, I remember the soccer team got busted for making fake IDs for students. :lol:

Yes and I could do this but I like their Beatles-y songs a bit better than their (by their standards) "rockier" songs like the one rock posted (see what I did there).

Yeah, I've been noticing what you're talking about. They have four different songwriters, right? Or something like that?

Anyway, it's been a cool dive today. I, as you note, like the rockers.
Yep. Patrick Pentland writes the rock ones that usually include the lead singles. Then Chris Murphy writes a side B suite that wants to be on the White Album. Jay Ferguson lands somewhere in the middle and Andrew Scott gets a carrot here and there.

Must be over.

eta* Toronto comes back from down three to win. Oh my.

I'm watching the Kraken and just saw some fans in the corner banging against the glass, and I told OH they must be in town from Chicago or NY. Seattle people are far too polite and, as far as I know, not very hockey-savvy. :lol:

My High School did "South Pacific". Since I was one of four Asians in a school of over 2500, I got typecast as a domestic servant. A crap racist non-singing, non-dancing role. The only good thing is all my lines were in the first act so I was able to smoke weed with my friends in the pit orchestra at intermission.

I'm watching Jeopardy! and there's a category for "Beatles "s" songs" and so far they have had a triple-stumper on "She Loves You" and "Strawberry Fields Forever." :loco:
I mentioned in the Jeopardy thread a few days ago that the show seems to cast a lot of people who are really good at a few things and hopeless at a lot of other things. This would be another data point in favor of that.

It was wavy, blonde and layered, and the top was a bit fluffy, and I can see where she would think it looked sorta like a bird.
A kid at my HS had a similar layered blond 'do but with a cowlick. Unfortunately, it made him look like tweety bird in the ep where he drinks a potion and becomes Mr. Hyde. I'm sure he doesn't have fond memories of those years because most of us weren't as kind as simey.

Evil Tweety
It was probably insulting that the drama teacher wanted me to play Woodstock. She shouldn't have wanted me to try out for anything. I played Amanda in The Glass Menagerie in front of some of the student body, and I made two of my acting partners break character by making a face at them when my back was turned to the audience. They broke character and then so did I, and it took a long time for us to stop laughing. The drama teacher was not amused.
This anecdote has the same energy as your stories about your run-ins with the cops!

I'm watching Jeopardy! and there's a category for "Beatles "s" songs" and so far they have had a triple-stumper on "She Loves You" and "Strawberry Fields Forever." :loco:
I mentioned in the Jeopardy thread a few days ago that the show seems to cast a lot of people who are really good at a few things and hopeless at a lot of other things. This would be another data point in favor of that.

Probably, except these people seemed to be pretty bad at all things. Very embarrassing performances all around. The eventual winner was the best of a sorry lot.

If you didn't see today's, the Final Jeopardy was something about I-25 going through the two highest elevation US capitals and also the third-highest, Denver. One of them guessed "Albany and Boston."

I seriously think they've dumbed-down Jeopardy! I'm starting to compete with all of the players nearly every night unless they get somebody bound for the Tournament of Champions. Then I get wiped. But even some three-time winners I can hang with.

Of course it's all about timing and buzzer skills and selection, but as far as knowing the questions? I'm there, folks. You heard it here first.

Probably, except these people seemed to be pretty bad at all things. Very embarrassing performances all around. The eventual winner was the best of a sorry lot.

If you didn't see today's, the Final Jeopardy was something about I-25 going through the two highest elevation US capitals and also the third-highest, Denver. One of them guessed "Albany and Boston."
I have not seen it yet. Reminds me of the first episode after that one champ couldn't return due to COVID. The guy who won that game was one of the luckiest players in the show's history because they all were mediocre at best and would have been destroyed by the champ if he weren't too sick to appear.

I seriously think they've dumbed-down Jeopardy! I'm starting to compete with all of the players nearly every night unless they get somebody bound for the Tournament of Champions. Then I get wiped. But even some three-time winners I can hang with.

Of course it's all about timing and buzzer skills and selection, but as far as knowing the questions? I'm there, folks. You heard it here first.

This is how you announce to those in-the-know that you suck at Jeopardy! It's that overestimation by the incompetent thing...

Maybe you've gotten smarter instead of the show getting dumber!

Totally the same. I feel much more knowledgeable than the contestants recently. Obviously buzzer stuff would be an unknown.

Today's champion seemed absolutely deflated when she hit the Double Jeopardy questions. Usually people are happy about it. She was seemingly unhappy, maybe because she was a dumdum.

I have not seen it yet. Reminds me of the first episode after that one champ couldn't return due to COVID. The guy who won that game was one of the luckiest players in the show's history because they all were mediocre at best and would have been destroyed by the champ if he weren't too sick to appear.

Yeah, I only see it about 60% of the time, but I also remember one episode recently with possibly the worst wagering I've ever seen, by all three.

Totally the same. I feel much more knowledgeable than the contestants recently. Obviously buzzer stuff would be an unknown.

Today's champion seemed absolutely deflated when she hit the Double Jeopardy questions. Usually people are happy about it. She was seemingly unhappy, maybe because she was a dumdum.
I had an in-person audition in 2015 and it was clear that I wasn't anywhere near as fast on the practice buzzer as I needed to be. I should have tried out when I was younger.

I had an in-person audition in 2015 and it was clear that I wasn't anywhere near as fast on the practice buzzer as I needed to be. I should have tried out when I was younger.

Funny, I was just thinking I'd curse the producers if I wound up on the show with you and k4. That would seem like life was being just a bit unfair at the time. And you're still too slow, huh? Harder than it looks, I guess.

Funny, I was just thinking I'd curse the producers if I wound up on the show with you and k4. That would seem like life was being just a bit unfair at the time. And you're still too slow, huh? Harder than it looks, I guess.
I wasn't told that or anything, but I could sense it when I was playing the practice games. (None of this happens anymore; auditions went to Zoom during the pandemic and have stayed that way.)

I did get quoted in the Boston Globe, though. One of their reporters was at my audition to do a piece on the process. He asked to speak to me after our session was over (he said it was because I seemed like someone who knew a lot about the show.)

I wasn't told that or anything, but I could sense it when I was playing the practice games. (None of this happens anymore; auditions went to Zoom during the pandemic and have stayed that way.)

I did get quoted in the Boston Globe, though. One of their reporters was at my audition to do a piece on the process. He asked to speak to me after our session was over (he said it was because I seemed like someone who knew a lot about the show.)

Oh. I see. I'd ask more, but I should probably do that in the Jeopardy! thread.

Very cool you got interviewed. At least you can take away a clipping from a paper or have a link to an online article if they used any of your quotes.

Oh, I’d be no good compared to Pip, DQ, or Mrs R. The biggest competition, though, would be OH. He’s insane at trivia.

Oh, I’d be no good compared to Pip, DQ, or Mrs R. The biggest competition, though, would be OH. He’s insane at trivia.

Yeah, I would not want to go up against the Jeopardy aficionados here. That would be a wiping. Just from being around the boards, DQ's knowledge of world politics is an entry into a mind capable of handling vast things, and I want no part of that on a trivia show. I can see that about OH.

Oh. I see. I'd ask more, but I should probably do that in the Jeopardy! thread.

Very cool you got interviewed. At least you can take away a clipping from a paper or have a link to an online article if they used any of your quotes.
I found it, but it's paywalled. I was able to read it back in 2015.

I don't think anyone from our session ended up getting on the show. I kept my eyes peeled for a couple of years.

Yeah, I would not want to go up against the Jeopardy aficionados here. That would be a wiping. Just from being around the boards, DQ's knowledge of world politics is an entry into a mind capable of handling vast things, and I want no part of that on a trivia show. I can see that about OH.
DQ does serious trivia stuff IRL and has played against some folks who have gone on Jeopardy and done really well.

I've retained a lot of random knowledge from when I was a kid and read The Book of Lists, The World Almanac and The Guinness Book of World Records over and over. I actually kind of suck at literature -- the strongest category for a lot of players -- because I much prefer to read nonfiction than fiction.

Yeah, I only see it about 60% of the time, but I also remember one episode recently with possibly the worst wagering I've ever seen, by all three.
Bobby Lane and I were yelling at the TV. Ghah.

DQ does serious trivia stuff IRL and has played against some folks who have gone on Jeopardy and done really well.

I've retained a lot of random knowledge from when I was a kid and read The Book of Lists, The World Almanac and The Guinness Book of World Records over and over. I actually kind of suck at literature -- the strongest category for a lot of players -- because I much prefer to read nonfiction than fiction.
What I’ve seen from doing the trivia site that some of them are in is that there are certain categories that I can hang, but the best players really can hang in any category. I can compare my data on the site to Amy Schneider’s, for example. My percentage of correct answers is slightly better than hers at some stuff like current events or films. But when it gets down to my worst categories, I have over a half dozen categories that I’m below 50% in (and some significantly below that mark, such as under 30% in art and around that in theatre too). But her worst category is pop music, and she still gets almost 60% of those right.

Last edited:

What I’ve seen from doing the trivia site that some of them are in is that there are certain categories that I can hang, but the best players really can hang in any category. I can compare my data on the site to Amy Schneider’s, for example. My percentage of correct answers is slightly better than hers at some stuff like current events or films. But when it gets down to my worst categories, I have over a half dozen categories that I’m below 50% in (and some significantly below that mark, such as under 30% in art and around that in theatre too). But her worst category is pop music, and she still gets almost 60% of those right.
Do you have a link t that trivia site? Color me curious.

Will send a PM.

Will send a PM.

can you do likewise for me?

TIA ✌️

However, I know how to jump on the Jeopardy writers' tendencies when it comes to literature. For example, whenever a literature category mentions Mississippi, I always respond Faulkner, and 95% of the time I'm right. It happened again this week.

However, I know how to jump on the Jeopardy writers' tendencies when it comes to literature. For example, whenever a literature category mentions Mississippi, I always respond Faulkner, and 95% of the time I'm right. It happened again this week.

Yeah, I got tonight's with Faulkner, but not because I know the Jeopardy writing, but because I couldn't name another Mississippi writer. :bag:

Yeah, I got tonight's with Faulkner, but not because I know the Jeopardy writing, but because I couldn't name another Mississippi writer. :bag:
After a while, you get to know that stuff. Chicago poet = Carl Sandberg. Finnish architect = Eero Saarinen. There are a bunch of them.

After a while, you get to know that stuff. Chicago poet = Carl Sandberg. Finnish architect = Eero Saarinen. There are a bunch of them.
I don’t think I’ll ever watch consistently enough to get those, but it does remind me that for a while I did a lot of NYT crosswords, and it definitely helped a ton to get into the repetition and wordplay of their clues.

Last edited:

Will send a PM.

can you do likewise for me?

TIA ✌️

Thanks

I think their assumption is that most of their contestants and almost all of their viewers can’t either.

Astronomer from before 1800 = always either Galileo or Copernicus.

I don’t think I’ll ever watch consistently enough to get those, but it does remind me that for a while I did a lot of NYT crosswords, and it definitely helped a ton to get into the repetition and wordplay of their clues.
I noticed the same when I did them daily in college. If there was a short word with vowels in unusual places, it came up a lot.

I noticed the same when I did them daily in college. If there was a short word with vowels in unusual places, it came up a lot.

also did them daily, but my favorite were the New York Magazine xword.

woulda never known from ol' Cakmak without 'em.

Last edited:

Eudora Welty says hi. John Grisham too, I suppose.

They're really great for B-list and beyond celebrities with good consonants and vowels. Teri Garr and Teri Hatcher get a surprising amount of play. Enya, too.
I knew the answer to "Parseghian" was "Ara" for about twenty-five years before I knew what it meant. The movie "Rudy" really helped here.

As there was a lot of interest in the trivia site that I’m a member of, they had a ”special” yesterday of a set of trivia questions about bands who had songs with eponymous song titles. Thought it was a fun set of questions and I’d share here. Will post answers either later tonight or tomorrow. And number one rule of this site is *no cheating* via looking up on internet or otherwise…

1. This English band was a pioneer in heavy metal, releasing their debut album in 1969, with both the album and the opening track having the same name as the band. Despite their hard partying, the original members of the band are all still alive by some miracle or witchcraft.

2. This band emerged from the 90s California punk scene and later had a concept album adapted into a rock musical. On their debut album, they had an eponymous song.

3. This synth pop English band had a hit in 1982 with a song that was also the band's name. No doubt you may have heard No Doubt did a cover of their biggest hit, "It's My Life".

4. This duo was originally named El Grupo De Rock and Roll. Why'd they change it? I can't say, maybe they just liked it better this way. Give the current band name

5. This funk/soul band's first album had their eponymous song, but it faced a cold reception as neither the song nor the album charted. Later, they did celebrate some big hits in the 70s and 80s.

6. This UK supergroup formed in 1973 and had a huge hit with their eponymous single, as well as "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy".

7. This heavy metal English band named themselves after a mythical Medieval torture device. They named a real song after themselves.

8. This alternative band formed after the breakup of Uncle Tupelo. While initially playing more country style on their debut album A.M. they later achieved mainstream success and released a song with their name.

9. This hard rock band had their biggest hit with a power ballad in 1984 , written by the drummer about his younger sister. The song has been used in several films, including during the drug deal scene in Boogie Nights.

10. This disco group was named after a geographical area and had songs named after places like Fire Island, San Francisco, and of course, themselves.

11. This band, led by bassist and singer Lemmy, makes this list.

12. This punk rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1980, with singer Greg Graffin being the band's only constant member. He never lost faith and they had success with the songs "Sorrow", "Los Angeles is Burning" and "The Devil in Stitches", while their self named song did not chart.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Green Day
3. Madness
4. They Might Be Giants
5. Kool and the Gang
6. Bad Company
7. Iron Maiden
8. Wilco
9. Night Ranger
10. KC and the Sunshine Band
11. Motorhead
12. Bad Religion

?

Probably nine or ten out of twelve

1. Black Sabbath
2. Green Day
3. Madness
4. They Might Be Giants
5. Kool and the Gang
6. Bad Company
7. Iron Maiden
8. Wilco
9. Night Ranger
10. KC and the Sunshine Band
11. Motorhead
12. Bad Religion

?

Probably nine or ten out of twelve
Yep, 10/12. Just Q3 and Q10.

Yep, 10/12. Just Q3 and Q10.

Thanks for the response. Not surprised that I couldn't get the full boat, but was secretly hoping for eleven of them. There were three I was unsure of, though, so I'm glad I pulled one of those. I was going to go into why, but I don't want to spoil anything. Thanks for posting and peace!

Users who are viewing this thread