What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

BOTH RELEASED ON THIS DAY FIVE YRS APART:

4/23/71 - Sticky Fingers

4/23/76 - RAMONES

... who ya got?

R.A.M.O.N.E.S., whaddya think i were gonna say

it's gotta be Sticky Fingers for me - and I'm a Ramones fan

spoiler tag down?

- EoMS were more on the Ramones level ... SF are mighty fine, but i'm a Jonesy era cat.

gimme the Bruddahs - it revolutionized the industry.

That's a pretty easy one for me, actually.

Book it.

Ramones.

I think the early results will skew Ramones but this is going to be a landslide the other way.

Ooooo, that's a tough one. Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album.

But yeah, Ramones.
That's a pretty easy one for me, actually.

Book it.

Ramones.

I think the early results will skew Ramones but this is going to be a landslide the other way.

outta the folk who participated in this particular thread, i'd have to say you two, of course - OH (via K4 proxy), Scorch, Eeph .... then dunno.

prolly 33-8 for SF via this lot.

I've been thinking about posting a movie-related thing for a couple of weeks (not in this thread, but I don't GAF now), but I'm still not sure how it will be received... :oldunsure:

Ah, why not. This thread can't get any worse!

I'm slightly involved in a project...awaiting final word but right now we think it's going to be premiering at Cannes. It's a new version, call it a "director's cut," of a well-known and well-derided movie...

Caligula

Before you judge it too much, watch this video to explain. Most of what you think you know about this movie isn't true.

Update: accepted at Cannes!! :pickle:

Congrats! I saw the movie Best of Enemies, a movie that explored the relationship of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley. It was a movie that went into a detailed history of the men, especially their conflagration in 1968 during the presidential debates that year. Very interesting movie, and introduced me to the fact that Caligula existed.

Congrats! I saw the movie Best of Enemies, a movie that explored the relationship of Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley. It was a movie that went into a detailed history of the men, especially their conflagration in 1968 during the presidential debates that year. Very interesting movie, and introduced me to the fact that Caligula existed.

Sounds very interesting! I've never heard of it, but I'll look it up.

I've been thinking about posting a movie-related thing for a couple of weeks (not in this thread, but I don't GAF now), but I'm still not sure how it will be received... :oldunsure:

I'm slightly involved in a project...awaiting final word but right now we think it's going to be premiering at Cannes. It's a new version, call it a "director's cut," of a well-known and well-derided movie...

Caligula

Before you judge it too much, watch this video to explain. Most of what you think you know about this movie isn't true.

The future Mrs. Eephus and I saw Caligula at a Market Street grindhouse very early in our relationship. I don't know if it was this date or a Giants doubleheader but it was around this time I knew she was a keeper. We've been together 40 years this month.

I remember it was a matinee because we left the squalor of Rome to bright sunshine illuminating the squalor of mid-Market. I've never felt the need to revisit the film but would definitely be in for the restoration. Too bad all the grindhouses have closed.

Caligula

definitely in - good luck!

Today I was going to listen to my new favorites playlist from this countdown - 127 songs strong! But I kept getting interrupted, including by work conference calls on Sunday. Maybe tomorrow. :kicksrock: I want to give out the Blaze Foley Award* for this countdown. I can't remember if I officially did it in the British Isles one, though I had it down to a few contenders.

*Awarded to the new-to-me song I liked the best in each countdown, named after the artist whose song won the US countdown for me.

Today I was going to listen to my new favorites playlist from this countdown - 127 songs strong! But I kept getting interrupted, including by work conference calls on Sunday. Maybe tomorrow. :kicksrock: I want to give out the Blaze Foley Award* for this countdown. I can't remember if I officially did it in the British Isles one, though I had it down to a few contenders.

*Awarded to the new-to-me song I liked the best in each countdown, named after the artist whose song won the US countdown for me.

I decided to start it up now and see how far I get. My new-favorites playlist is named after the first song I put on there, and in this case the very first one, "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack," is a strong contender to take the award.

Caligula

That is so exciting. Any chance you will get to attend Cannes?

My highest-ranking new-to-me song was Black Betty by Spiderbait. Which is a pretty faithful cover of a song I know. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song which is not a pretty faithful cover of a song I know was Solitude Is Bliss by Tame Impala. But I may have heard it before because I have randomly searched for Tame Impala stuff in the past. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song which is not a pretty faithful cover of a song I know and which I am definitely sure I have not heard before was Original Sufferhead by Fela Kuti.
My highest-ranking new-to-me song by an artist whose songs I've never heard was Pretty Lady by Lighthouse. But I have heard OF them. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song by an artist that I had never heard of was Reality Fades by Weedpacker.

Caligula

That is so exciting. Any chance you will get to attend Cannes?

They all are, meaning my "friend" and companions. :) I have way too much work/vacation stuff going on.

My highest-ranking new-to-me song was Black Betty by Spiderbait. Which is a pretty faithful cover of a song I know. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song which is not a pretty faithful cover of a song I know was Solitude Is Bliss by Tame Impala. But I may have heard it before because I have randomly searched for Tame Impala stuff in the past. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song which is not a pretty faithful cover of a song I know and which I am definitely sure I have not heard before was Original Sufferhead by Fela Kuti.
My highest-ranking new-to-me song by an artist whose songs I've never heard was Pretty Lady by Lighthouse. But I have heard OF them. So...
My highest-ranking new-to-me song by an artist that I had never heard of was Reality Fades by Weedpacker.

I love this breakdown. Might have to pull some of it for my own analysis.

Listening right now to the Teskey Brothers and holy **** I can't believe these people are Australian and White. Spectacular. @Hov34

Listening through the new-to-me-favorites playlist is a lot more palatable to OH than when I did the daily playlists. Up now has been "Ontario Plates" by Do Make Say Think, which he identified by band and album but not song. We both love it! I've had only a song or two that he thumbs-downed so far. Now we're on The Boys Next Door, which neither of us knew despite being huge Nick Cave fans. :)

Love getting shout-outs for both Teenage Head and Do Make Say Think. Very cool by both Mt. Man and krista4.

I think Teenage Head's eponymous is the way to go and Do Make Say Think with Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is my favorite of theirs.

Cheers, all!

HERE IT GOES - El Matador!

I was getting some other band when I checked in at 5:30. I switched over to the right channel just in time to see them walking off-stage :bag:

yeah, they only did 3 songs - the fellas were full of energy, but - definitely seemed a bit winded - they put it all out for that 15ish minutes.

bonus of somebody sporting the Mil Mascaras look prominently in the front pit ... the lads definitely worked 'em up.

In regards to the 31 per artist idea... just one artist per person, and only one artist among all of us. One person gets them and that's it.

Ranked lists would be interesting and provide some fun strategy in selecting artists.

I could run it. I would be able to post each night around 9pm mt.

There are dozens of new artists for me on these last 3 count downs and it would be awesome to dig deeper on all of them.
I would not be able to run any contests. If someone wants to help do that....
Is Krokus taken? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread