What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which 18 teams will NOT make the playoffs 2023 (1 Viewer)

Bossman

Footballguy
It's pretty easy to pick 14 teams that stand a decent chance to make the playoffs ...
you could make a case for almost every team in the league.
Seems the harder question would be "which 18 teams will NOT make the playoffs for 2023?"
The first 8 or 10 won't be too tough ... but after that, ...sheesh.
What say you?

Last edited:
Titans
Colts
Texans
Raiders
Patriots
Giants
Redmanders
Vikings
Bears
Bucs
Panthers
Falcons
Cardinals
Rams
Dolphins
Steelers
Browns
Chargers

It's pretty easy to pick 14 teams that stand a decent chance to make the playoffs ...
Seems the harder question would be "which 18 teams will NOT make the playoffs for 2023?"
What say you?
According to my calculations .......

IIRC, since the league expanded the number of wildcards in 2002, 40%+ of playoff teams from the past season are replaced with different teams the following season. That’s 5-6 different playoff teams each year.

All joking aside, I will at least give my input. Without making explicit effort to "go out on any limbs".

Cardinals
Rams
Patriots
Giants
Browns
Steelers
Colts
Falcons
Packers
Texans
Broncos
Vikings
Bears
Buccaneers
Commanders
Seahawks
Titans
Saints

I would definitely bet against the Dolphins making the Playoffs right now.
Things can change but they sunk some money into Ramsey and he is on the shelf possibly thru November and longer.
I will point out they happen to have some depth at Cornerback or did and Kader Kohou performed admirably as a Rookie, broke his hand vs Cleveland and kept on chugging.
Nick Needham will easily slide into the Slot where Kahou has been working all off season making him capable of lining up vs a better WR even if he rolls slot on them.
But Ramsey is a major loss, in terms of resources and schemes
Rookie-Cam Smith might see playing time faster than anyone thought.

Patriots
Browns
Steelers
Texans
Colts
Raiders
Broncos
Titans

Redskins
Giants
Bears
Vikings
Packers
Bucs
Falcons
Rams
Cardinals

Might start thread asking for one from each division.

Pats
Steelers
Texans
Raiders
Commanders
Packers
Bucs
Cardinals

That leaves 3 in each conference.

Gotta run.

NFC South division will trip up everyone.

Bucs, Saints, Falcons, Panthers.

Pick the one that will go 9-8 and win the division. The other 3 three join the 3 last place teams in the other divisions. That's leaves you two teams to pick.

You say the first 8-10 won't be tough, I disagree, someone on another forum I frequent offered a pick six teams to miss the playoffs (before the playoff expansion so when just two wild cards), and it was a solidly profitable bet for him

You say the first 8-10 won't be tough, I disagree, someone on another forum I frequent offered a pick six teams to miss the playoffs (before the playoff expansion so when just two wild cards), and it was a solidly profitable bet for him
Interesting. What were the odds, though?

Let me look at who has the best odds on 365:

Cards -2500
Texans -850
Bucs -550
Colts -500
Raiders -500
Commies -370

Now I can't parlay these nor can I be bothered to work the odds out manually but that's going to be moderately close to evens for all to hit, if not longer

Let me look at who has the best odds on 365:

Cards -2500
Texans -850
Bucs -550
Colts -500
Raiders -500
Commies -370

Now I can't parlay these nor can I be bothered to work the odds out manually but that's going to be moderately close to evens for all to hit, if not longer
I get 39.8%. Not crazy far off.

Pick the one that will go 9-8 and win the division. The other 3 three join the 3 last place teams in the other divisions. That's leaves you two teams to pick.
8-9 might win that division.

East
  • New England Patriots
  • New York Jets
North
  • Cleveland browns
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
South
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Tennessee Titans
West
  • Denver Broncos
  • Oakland Raiders

East
  • New York Giants
  • Washington Commanders
North
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
South
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
West
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Los Angeles Rams

East
  • New England Patriots
  • New York Jets
North
  • Cleveland browns
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
South
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Tennessee Titans
West
  • Denver Broncos
  • Oakland Raiders

East
  • New York Giants
  • Washington Commanders
North
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
South
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
West
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Los Angeles Rams
That’s pretty solid. In the interest of extreme laziness, I shall adopt this as my entry as well.
:D

While I agree that is likely ... assuming that will be the case in the NFC South could be a case of looking in the rearview mirror instead of the windshield. I offer no evidence except the law of averages. Look no further than the 2020 NFC East vs the 2022 NFC East. Okay, sure, those were 2 years apart, not consecutive years, but still pretty dramatic change.

It’s entirely possible I overate the saints but I expect them to surprise most fans.
I agree - on paper they’re the most complete team.

That said, having watched much of Carr’s career, it is also quite possible that he’s terrible & the Bucs, Falcons & Panthers all play slightly better than expected. For sure CAR & TB can play defense, specifically pass rush. Pressure tends to be Carr’s biggest weakness.

Not saying it’s extremely likely, but it is on the spectrum of potential outcomes that Carr sucks and the NFC South is a dumpster fire.

It’s gonna be an interesting season in that division for sure.

What say you?
This seems like a lot of work.

It's hard to pick a wild card coming of the AFC East. It'll be tough PLUS they play the NFC East.

Jets are more likely to make the playoffs than not in the market. Having a real QB, RB and WR is useful. Similarly Miami are 50/50. It's only New England that are underdogs to get into the postseason

It's hard to pick a wild card coming of the AFC East. It'll be tough PLUS they play the NFC East.
I had a harder time leaving the jets out than any other team.
The AFC has at least ten legitimate playoff contenders if divisions weren’t a factor
The NFC probably has seven.

Others can surprise of course.

Vikings Packers Bears
Commanders
Falcons Saints Buccaneers
Cardinals Rams

Browns Steelers
Dolphins Patriots
Titans Texans Colts
Broncos Raiders

Predicting NFC South winner and deciding who to leave out between Vikings, Cowboys and Seahawks is toughest call.

18 teams that will NOT make the playoffs this season.

I got this:

Dallas Cowboys
Team from Washington
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Pirates
Green Bay Packers
Da Bearsss
Los Angeles Rams
Arizona Cardinals
New York Rogers
New England Patriots
Miami Phish
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tennessee Titans
Indianapolis Colts
Houston Texans
Los Angeles Chargers
Las Vegas Raiders

Book it :coffee:

Interesting to see LAC on so many lists... tough division I suppose but doesn't seem too long ago they we challenging KC for the top spot in the AFC.

... and no love for CAR with their new future HOF QB?
Stout defense, quality coaching (?), and weak az division.

Honestly, the Saints have the best QB in that division with Carr. The Panthers are going with a rookie which means growing pains and the Bucs and Falcons are going with meh.

The NFC is so much easier to figure out than the AFC...

Work backwards...

NFC division winners
eagles, lions, saints, 49ers

wildcard potential
giants, cowgirls, seahags

remainder (9)
redskins, packers, bears, vikings, bucs, panthers, falcons, cardinals, rams

For the AFC, count the division winners, then the obvious losers....

AFC division winners
bills, chiefs, bengals, jaguars

obvious losers
texans, colts, raiders, broncos

remainder (8)
Jets, Fish, Pats, steelers, browns, ravens, titans, chargers

so you need to pick 5 of 8 to be "out" to join the 4 obvious losers....
titans, fish, ravens, chargers, browns

most people would swap patriots for dolphins...and maybe steelers for ravens....but whatever.

there will be a lot of new blood in the playoffs this season. teams that will miss out:
Bungles - it's time the whole rotten structure comes crashing down. too many ifs with the o-line, burrows leg, lack of RBs, etc
Lions - this is the Lions after all. While they're great stat compilers, they will lost games like 42-38, 45-32. I like what they're doing but the hype is off the charts. I think they get smacked around week 1 v Chiefs and that sets the tone for the entire 2023 season for the Lions.
Bears - improving, but won't get close to the post season.
Chargers - Herbert continues his sucktitude and the WRs fail him
Dallas - Tony Pollard was a complimentary player, not a starter. now a QB controversy brews when Dak keeps throwing INTs giving Jerry Jones fits.
Communists are going to win 9-10 games and miss the postseason. This offense is going to be one of the top 15 units in the NFL.but they'll just miss out.
Rams
Cards
houston
Indy
Denver
TB
Pats
Panthers
vikings
bills
miami
ravens

I do not like what I've seen thus far in preseason from the bungles and the bills. of the two, I could see the Bills turning it on when the real games come.but they open on the road, at the jets, a rodgers debut, night game, on sept 11th. the house is going to be rocking. so bills start 0-1 right out of the game. they can be good but I'm betting what we saw the end of last season is what we'll see to begin this season. lethargy , ho-hum play calling, josh allen mistakes, etc.
Ravens have no WRs worth mentioning, they only have a TE. rb situation isn't good. do we really trust the new OC to be any better than the past OC? not buying it.

AFC:

Pats, Browns, Steelers, Colts, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins.

NFC:

Cowboys, Commanders, Bears, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Cardinals, Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread