What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which teams need a RB the MOST ? (1 Viewer)

Team Legacy

Footballguy
I know many of the popular picks are Minnesota, New England, San Fran, Jets, Denver etc. but if I look at the ENTIRE NFL, I see 3 teams that MUST have a RB drafted.

1. Indianapolis

2. Carolina

3. Pittsburgh

Indy needs a replacement for Larry Triplett at DT, also needs a replacement for David Thornton at OLB, but is there a more glaring need for a replacement at RB than Indianapolis? Losing Edge hurts and they DEFINITELY don't trust Rhodes to do the job. Carthon? uh, no.. With Bush, DeAngelo and Lendale all being drafted before him, Maroney should fit in nicely in Peyton's offense. PICK - LARRY MARONEY

Carolina has had RB woes ever since Davis showed his age. They need a Tight End that doesn't DROP every pass (Mangum) and they need some help at LB, but RB MUST be addresed. This whole FOSTER experiment isn't working out, Shelton has question marks and John Fox knows he has a super bowl contender on his hands. He can't risk NOT taking a RB IMO. If Denver picks WR help in Jackson, maybe Lendale can fall to the Panthers PICK - LENDALE WHITE

Fast Willie Parker... Maybe, but this is a Super Bowl Champion. No way they go in this thin. Staley and Haynes as other options but this seems too thin for a Champion. My only thought is that they go after a replacement for Hope. Is there a chance Simpson from SC falls this far? Doubt it, so why not grab a RB to ensure their winning ways? It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up to get their guy. PICK - LENDALE WHITE.

obviously there's only 1 Lendale to go around, so this draft should be interesting to say the least.

Agree or disagree ??

Not that they won't draft a RB at some point, but neither Carolina or Pittsburgh have "glaring" needs at RB. FWP essentially was the starter last year. The Panther's have Foster and Shelton, who may have developed some in the past year.

Has anyone besides Indy lost their featured back? They are the only glaring need I can think of.

Atlanta and Green Bay could surprise. Dunn has some mileage and Duckett doesn't seem like the answer. Ahman and Gado have issues as well. I think we'll see a team draft a RB that we don't expect to.

Depending on what Indy thinks of Rhodes a prerty good argument can be made that they are not glaring either. Trust me they won't force a RB in the 1st round. I think people underrate the what teams think of mediocroe pros and overrate the ability of rookies to come in and make a positive contribution.

Has anyone besides Indy lost their featured back? They are the only glaring need I can think of.

:goodposting:

Indy MUST draft a RB to replace Edge, or Payton will be passing for 50+ TD's :P

Really, I would say Indy is the only team where RB is their glaring weakness.

Pittsburgh? Parker is a fine back. They can use a better DE opposite Smith.

Carolina? Maybe, but TE seems more important if you think Foster/Shelton aren't horrible.

Maybe Denver.

I'm a bit biased because I just drafted Foster high, but remember that Carolina just shelled out some decent coin to keep him around. That doesn't exactly scream "we need to draft a RB in the first two rounds."

My answers:

New England - Dillon is done and there's no replacement on the roster. I think DeAngelo Williams and LenDale White are realistic options in round one.

Pittsburgh - Parker is a nice player, but I don't think he'd be a good featured RB in this offense. If White is on the board when Pittsburgh picks, then I think White will be a Steeler.

Indianapolis - Rhodes has been productive at times, but he's not exceptional and he hasn't proven to be very durable. This team will almost certainly take a RB in the first three rounds. I look for them to get a pass-catching back like Addai, Drew, or Calhoun.

No one else has an acute need at RB, although Jacksonville, Denver, San Francisco, NYJ, Green Bay, Atlanta, Minnesota, and a few other teams could conceivably take a back in the first round or two if the right guy falls.

I know many of the popular picks are Minnesota, New England, San Fran, Jets, Denver etc. but if I look at the ENTIRE NFL, I see 3 teams that MUST have a RB drafted.

1. Indianapolis

2. Carolina

3. Pittsburgh

Indy needs a replacement for Larry Triplett at DT, also needs a replacement for David Thornton at OLB, but is there a more glaring need for a replacement at RB than Indianapolis? Losing Edge hurts and they DEFINITELY don't trust Rhodes to do the job. Carthon? uh, no.. With Bush, DeAngelo and Lendale all being drafted before him, Maroney should fit in nicely in Peyton's offense. PICK - LARRY MARONEY

Carolina has had RB woes ever since Davis showed his age. They need a Tight End that doesn't DROP every pass (Mangum) and they need some help at LB, but RB MUST be addresed. This whole FOSTER experiment isn't working out, Shelton has question marks and John Fox knows he has a super bowl contender on his hands. He can't risk NOT taking a RB IMO. If Denver picks WR help in Jackson, maybe Lendale can fall to the Panthers PICK - LENDALE WHITE

Fast Willie Parker... Maybe, but this is a Super Bowl Champion. No way they go in this thin. Staley and Haynes as other options but this seems too thin for a Champion. My only thought is that they go after a replacement for Hope. Is there a chance Simpson from SC falls this far? Doubt it, so why not grab a RB to ensure their winning ways? It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up to get their guy. PICK - LENDALE WHITE.

obviously there's only 1 Lendale to go around, so this draft should be interesting to say the least.

Agree or disagree ??
They still have Simon and Reagor at DT and they get Vincent Burns (3rd round pick 05) back at DT. Gilbert Gardner is a 3rd or 4th rounder from a couple years ago who they think can fill in for Thornton.

Really, I would say Indy is the only team where RB is their glaring weakness.

Carolina? Maybe, but TE seems more important if you think Foster/Shelton aren't horrible.

Maybe Denver.
Kiesel has been ready for this job and was re-signed to take it.

Indy has Rhodes but I don't know that he is what they are going to want. He might be able to carry them for a little while but they are going to want some insurance.

Jacksonville has a full back that plays RB and a guy who can't fart without pulling a hamstring.

Green Bay has an old, old Ahman Green and 18 guys coming off of a major injury.

Pittsburgh has a flash in the pan who can't carry the team and ##### Staley who has the same trainer as Fred Taylor.

New England needs a RB worse than any of these guys. Dillon will keep this team out of the playoffs.

Don't forget the Falcons. TJ Duckett has done nothing and Warrick Dunn has to be on the injury watch for this season. He is little and getting old. They do have Vick though....so they will probably still lead the league in rushing.

Kiesel has been ready for this job and was re-signed to take it.
If you're sold on Keisel, great. I see him as a lesser player than Parker is all I'm saying.

Larry Tripplett wasn't even a starter. Just to get that out there - that isn't a huge loss for the Colts. They drafted a DT in the 3rd round last year who got hurt in the preseason and never played. Plus, Raheem Brock is supposed to get more time at DT this season, and Corey Simon and Montae Reagor are still there as starters.

James and Thorton are major losses - NOT Tripplett.

Agree with this

Indy has Rhodes but I don't know that he is what they are going to want. He might be able to carry them for a little while but they are going to want some insurance.
Loved this!
Jacksonville has a full back that plays RB and a guy who can't fart without pulling a hamstring.
Agreed that NE needs a RB
New England needs a RB worse than any of these guys. Dillon will keep this team out of the playoffs.
Not so sure that I agree with this fully. While Duckett did have a wretched year last year and has shown some durability issues for a big back, I don't agree that he "has done nothing". He still managed 8 TD last year, and before that he put up 4ypc & 11 TDs and 4.9ypc & 8 TDs. For a "bruiser", sometimes I see a little Ron Dayne in him, but he's still young and is low-mileage so far. Might not be the back for ATL's system though. He would have looked good in CAR.
Don't forget the Falcons. TJ Duckett has done nothing and Warrick Dunn has to be on the injury watch for this season. He is little and getting old. They do have Vick though....so they will probably still lead the league in rushing.

I agree with whomever mentioned that Indy is the only team that really has a NEED at RB.

I don't get why people think that teams with older RBs or smaller RBs that need a complement need a 1st round RB. It is pretty rare that teams in this situation take a RB in the first round (percentage wise compared to the number of teams that are in this situation fairly few take a RB, and the ones that do take one in this situation generally have an extenuating circumstance like Priest in KC holding out).

At the moment, New England needs to fill about 15 roster slots for guys that moved elsewhere, so I am not so sure they would be looking at a RB early. From what I have observed, most close to the team are thinking that they will draft a DB in the first round, but a lot will depend on if they sign anyone between now and the draft (or if they lose more folks as well).

I agree that the Panthers need a RB. Foster simply cannot be counted on. Really, he is one of the most non-durable starting RBs in the NFL. If we don't bring in someone to address this need, then shame on us. Goings can be pretty servicable for a while, but then he always gets hurt as well. We don't know anything about what Shelton can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubt it, so why not grab a RB to ensure their winning ways? It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up to get their guy. PICK - LENDALE WHITE.
or they an draft a rb in the 3rd that is nearly as good as White without the hype. Grabbing a DE or S in the 1st will help ensure their winning ways more.

I would have thought San Fran would have been mentioned more here. Barlow sucks and Gore is so so.

At the moment, New England needs to fill about 15 roster slots for guys that moved elsewhere, so I am not so sure they would be looking at a RB early. From what I have observed, most close to the team are thinking that they will draft a DB in the first round, but a lot will depend on if they sign anyone between now and the draft (or if they lose more folks as well).
In all honesty absolutely no one knows what the Pats will do. Unless you actually are in the room with Pioli and BB you're totally guessing. No one saw Ben Watson coming and even less saw Logan Mankins coming. The Pats are an absolute wildcard and anything from trading up in the first to get a RB to not drafting one at all is possible.

At the moment, New England needs to fill about 15 roster slots for guys that moved elsewhere, so I am not so sure they would be looking at a RB early.  From what I have observed, most close to the team are thinking that they will draft a DB in the first round, but a lot will depend on if they sign anyone between now and the draft (or if they lose more folks as well).
In all honesty absolutely no one knows what the Pats will do. Unless you actually are in the room with Pioli and BB you're totally guessing. No one saw Ben Watson coming and even less saw Logan Mankins coming. The Pats are an absolute wildcard and anything from trading up in the first to get a RB to not drafting one at all is possible.
I'd like to see the Pats take a back early. Sure, they know Dillon's status better than we do but my eyes say Dillon has slowed down. The inability to run the ball last year hurt them considerably.I really thought Pass would be a dark horse last year. Until the big hamstring pull, he looked much quicker than Dillon. Some were down on Pass becuase he is listed as a FB, but his size (217) is really a HBs.

At the moment, New England needs to fill about 15 roster slots for guys that moved elsewhere, so I am not so sure they would be looking at a RB early.  From what I have observed, most close to the team are thinking that they will draft a DB in the first round, but a lot will depend on if they sign anyone between now and the draft (or if they lose more folks as well).
I'd like to see the Pats take a back early. Sure, they know Dillon's status better than we do but my eyes say Dillon has slowed down. The inability to run the ball last year hurt them considerably.I really thought Pass would be a dark horse last year. Until the big hamstring pull, he looked much quicker than Dillon. Some were down on Pass becuase he is listed as a FB, but his size (217) is really a HBs.
I'm with you. The Pats need a big play threat in the backfield. It would really diversify the offense and make Brady and the offense as a whole that much more effective. Dillon did not look good last year at all but I think he can still be effective but not as the workhorse he has been. Pass looked good last year. Yet, I still see him more as a piece of the puzzle than as someone who can be a legit #1. As far as being listed as a FB it's pretty misleading. He's kind of a jack of all trades but he's definetly not your traditional type of FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubt it, so why not grab a RB to ensure their winning ways? It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up to get their guy. PICK - LENDALE WHITE.
or they an draft a rb in the 3rd that is nearly as good as White without the hype. Grabbing a DE or S in the 1st will help ensure their winning ways more.
There are some good backs in this draft, but none of them offers the same skills that White possesses. Guys like Harrison and Drew might eventually become good starters in the NFL, but there's only one elite power back in this class. Watching White was a lot of fun this year. When USC would give him heavy carries in the second half of games, the other team would always get demoralized. Big backs who can wear down defenses and demoralize opponents are incredibly valuable to NFL teams who play power football, which is why White will be a top 25 pick unless he absolutely bombs at his pro day. He's for real. He may not be the best back in this class, but no other RB in this class can do the things he does.

There are some good backs in this draft, but none of them offers the same skills that White possesses. Guys like Harrison and Drew might eventually become good starters in the NFL, but there's only one elite power back in this class. Watching White was a lot of fun this year. When USC would give him heavy carries in the second half of games, the other team would always get demoralized. Big backs who can wear down defenses and demoralize opponents are incredibly valuable to NFL teams who play power football, which is why White will be a top 25 pick unless he absolutely bombs at his pro day. He's for real. He may not be the best back in this class, but no other RB in this class can do the things he does.
EXACTLY. If Pittsburgh is going to address their RB need, I can't see them doing it later. Nobody fits the mold but this guy. If they miss out on White, they take their chances with Willie and Haynes.

Users who are viewing this thread