What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whisenhunt to coach the Titans (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt plans to call his own plays.

Whisenhunt called the Chargers' plays this season, and at times during his six-year tenure in Arizona. Speaking at his introductory presser, Whiz said he wanted a 50-50 run/pass balance, and for his offense to resemble the one he oversaw in San Diego. The Bolts featured a balance attack this season, leaning on the run and high-percentage passes. It would be a good system for inaccurate Jake Locker, but there's no guarantee Locker will be the Titans' Week 1 starter.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter
New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt offered tepid praise for Jake Locker at his introductory presser Tuesday, and said the team hasn't ruled out using the No. 11 overall pick on a quarterback.

Whisenhunt said he liked Locker coming out of college, but demurred on his pro game, saying he "really (hasn't) had a chance" to study Locker's tape. For what it's worth, ESPN's Ed Werder reports Whiz has a "favorable impression" of Locker. Either way, Locker is not going to be gifted the Titans' No. 1 job coming off another injury-marred campaign. Locker appeared to be making strides before going down this season, but was limited to 401 snaps. That's a small-sample size for a player who has always struggled with consistency.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Titans GM Ruston Webster failed to endorse Chris Johnson as his 2014 running back at coach Ken Whisenhunt's introductory press conference.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Johnson is "not likely" to remain with the Titans in 2014. This isn't new news, just further confirmation that the Titans are ready to move on from their enigmatic lead runner. Johnson isn't worth anywhere near the $8 million he's slated for 2014 after averaging just 3.86 yards per carry this season. His effort level wasn't there for all 16 games.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Whisenhunt did well with QBs he inherited in PIT, ARI and SD, but was unable to develop one in his first stint as a HC after Warner retired, which was his undoing and led to his downfall. If it isn't Locker (and Fitzpatrick doesn't seem to have a lot of upside), maybe he makes a move for one in free agency or even the draft? They do have the 1.11 pick I think, but it is possible three or four QBs are gone already, so maybe a QB like Murray, Mettenberg, Boyd, McCarron, Fales, etc. day two or three?

I do think if he could stay healthy, Locker could have upside, but he would need to be more consistent as a big step towards improvement. Is he returning from a lisfranc injury?
There is Tyler Wilson under contract but I believe they will look at a lower tier guy in the draft as well - if they do that it will spell the end for one of Fitzpatrick or Locker. Cutting Fitzpatrick will save cap but if Locker is not healthy in the off season you only have Rusty Smith and Tyler Wilson to install a new offense to, which doesn't seem smart. Locker underwent surgery Nov 21st and it was stated then that there had been no surprises and that there was a 5-6 month recovery period. That would take him right up to the OTAs.

With the FAs out there I am not sure the Titans want to go that way
wilson was signed to a futures contract in december, I forgot that.

Smith is a free agent.

Fitz' contract was up, there's no cutting.
As far as I can see Fitz is under contract for 2014, for 3.25m (costing only .875m to cut). My point is just one of Wilson, Fitz or Locker will likely be gone if they invest in a rookie qb, round 3 or above. If Locker is healthy on schedule it won't be him.
I don't get it.

I started typing in my browser and same link as yesterday shows him under contract. I googled and two year deal last year. I guess a website error? I forgot Wilson and then went to check on the other QBs...sorry anyhow yeah Fitz is there you are right.

In my opinion, Jake Locker is still a NFL starting QB. Whisenhunt should be able to work with him. To use their first round pick on a QB smells disaster to me. Whisehunt is not known for developing a QB. I believe to let him work with Locker is one of the reasons they hired him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Titans are just not showing this big interest in Jake.

It seems like if some team made an offer they'd take it.

Rotoworld:

According to a source "familiar with the offers," the Titans offered new coach Ken Whisenhunt $1 million more annually than the Lions.
That's annually, not total. It's a gargantuan sum, and almost certainly why Whiz went from being the front-runner in Detroit to the Titans' new head coach in the blink of an eye. For his part, Whiz has said "chemistry" with the Titans' brain trust was an important factor. We're guessing that chemistry was improved by the millions of extra dollars Tennessee offered.

Related: Lions

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

According to a source "familiar with the offers," the Titans offered new coach Ken Whisenhunt $1 million more annually than the Lions.
That's annually, not total. It's a gargantuan sum, and almost certainly why Whiz went from being the front-runner in Detroit to the Titans' new head coach in the blink of an eye. For his part, Whiz has said "chemistry" with the Titans' brain trust was an important factor. We're guessing that chemistry was improved by the millions of extra dollars Tennessee offered.

Ministry of Pain said:
Detroit = :moneybag:

Tennessee = :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

This is about money IMO
:hifive:

Rotoworld:

Ministry of Pain said:
Detroit = :moneybag:

Tennessee = :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

This is about money IMO
:hifive:
Coaches should have got a union when they were debating it at the last strike ordeal. A million per seals it...they still make way less than the players and owners have to throw a mil around all offseason long at players they hope to sign.

What would you like them to do to "show interest". A parade?
Not extending contract.

This is a snip of a faust newsy item "I think that’s something we’ll continue to discuss and go through," Webster said. "But I would anticipate Jake having a good chance to do that." Whisenhunt was similarly measured in his comments, but said nothing to suggest he won't give Locker a chance. Limited to 18 games by injury over the past two seasons, Locker is expected to remain in a walking boot until late March as he recovers from Lisfranc surgery.

Meanwhile Stafford is in on interview and RGIII is discussing Gruden and....this isn't the same, it isn't warm N fuzzy

Also as far as I understand the team option fifth year was 13-15m. That's a lot of money for Locker. Perhaps with a healthy 2014 he'll take less for a longer contract.

Grateful Parrot said:

A parade still wouldn't do it. Most the fans around here are leery on Locker. He's inconsistent, but with upside, but he's never been able to do a whole season upright.
I get that fans are leery as they should be. I just don't think they're going to give up on him without giving him one more chance.

Grateful Parrot said:

A parade still wouldn't do it. Most the fans around here are leery on Locker. He's inconsistent, but with upside, but he's never been able to do a whole season upright.
I get that fans are leery as they should be. I just don't think they're going to give up on him without giving him one more chance.
I don't think they are giving up on him at all, Just telling him to deliver or find another home

What exactly has Whiz done as HC without Warner & what players excelled for him in FF, any top-15 besides Fitz?

And who will be the coordinators?

Been waiting for Whisenhunt to say it but Dawson did so...Dawson said it’s the job of the player personnel department to protect the future and brand of the organization. “And that ultimately depends on what type of players we bring here,” he said. “If you bring in a bunch of guys that constantly have issues and are constantly in trouble then it reflects on the organization.

“Ruston (Webster) has been adamant about bringing in guys that are not only good players, but good people. You’re not going to always get it right, but you’re just trying to eliminate as much as possible. Let’s bring in some good football players that are tough, competitive and fit the culture of what the Titans want to be both on and off the field.”

Adios Britt, Vince , Albert and whomever else from the past. Common but it needed to be said

New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt is going through the process of assembling his staff, and he’s hanging onto a few of the assistants he inherited from Mike Munchak.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, Whisenhunt is keeping wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson and running backs coach Sylvester Croom.

Whisenhunt has already told former defensive coordinator Jerry Gray he won’t be back (though his contract expired), and isn’t expected to retain defensive consultant Gregg Williams either. Quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone has also been let go.

Whisenhunt is expected to make a run at Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton, who ran his defense when he was head coach in Arizona. The Browns have cleared the way for Horton to take a lateral move, primarily to get his contract off the books.

Users who are viewing this thread