What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whisenhunt to coach the Titans (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/01/13/ken-whisenhunt-head-coach-mike-munchak/4464017/

The Tennessee Titans have hired San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt as their new head coach.

Whisenhunt replaces Mike Munchak, who parted with the team after three seasons and a 22-26 record.

A press conference is expected on Tuesday at the team's headquarters.

Titans general manager Ruston Webster interviewed the 51-year-old Whisenhunt on Friday in San Diego. He'd long been considered the favorite to land with the Detroit Lions, but the Titans stepped in and snagged him.

Whisenhunt has head coaching experience, going 45-51 in six seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, including a trip to the Super Bowl at the conclusion of the 2008 season. Earlier in his career, he won a Super Bowl ring calling plays as offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He spent one season as offensive coordinator with the Chargers, who were eliminated from the playoffs on Sunday with a loss to the Denver Broncos.

The Titans also interviewed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell. Webster and Titans president/CEO Tommy Smith had a second interview with Zimmer today in Houston.

The Titans were also interested in Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, but they would have had to wait to interview him as Seattle advanced to the NFC Championship Game.

So the Titans pounced on Whisenhunt.

(no thread so....)

Hope he can get a QB, else this stay may not be better then the last few Arizona years....
pretty interesting since the Lions we're just about begging for him. I hope their offering patience as he develops his own QB and offense while snubbing Stafford / Calvin

Why go to Tenn over Detroit?

Detroit feels like they have more pieces already in place.
The NFC North is a much tougher division than the AFC South. I'd rather duke it out with Luck every year instead of the Packers.
I was thinking along divisional lines, too.

IND is atop their division like GB. HOU may be similar to MIN as they both made the playoffs in 2012 and may be a QB away from being significantly better. But JAX seems further away from the playoffs than CHI. TEN has some good pieces in place on defense, OL and WR with Kendall Wright and Justin Hunter. Whisenhunt did spurn the Stafford/Johnson battery, so it might be easy to lose sight of the fact that Wright and Hunter are ascendant players who could have very bright futures.

Just curious, wasn't Locker playing pretty well before the injury? Why all this 'Tenn NEEDS a QB' talk?
Yes. I think it's a bit premature to give up on Locker. At the same time it's hard to rely on someone who keeps getting hurt. There is also an issue with his contract that may make it not feasible to keep him because the cost would too high for what he's shown. I'm not sure of all the details.

I like Locker as well, especially with a legitimate QB coach their to "coach him up."

I understand that the division is tougher with the Packers and Bears but I just don't see the Titans putting a winning team on the field in the next 2-3 years. The Lions are ready to win now. They have the talent on both sides of the ball. The Titans look like a complete rebuild on both sides with the exception of a young QB with potential.

I dont think Mike Munchak should have been hired in the first place. Decent coordinator maybe but not head coaching material to me.

Seems good for Wright/Hunter/etc. regardless of who the long term QB ends up being.

Just curious, wasn't Locker playing pretty well before the injury? Why all this 'Tenn NEEDS a QB' talk?
Locker had a good two games and one great half-curiously where he relied on Damian Williams as the #1 role and the others played great complimenting that. It all seemed odd but oh so smooth and impressive.

Otherwise he wasn't very good and didn't make any intermediate throws. Zero-deep or short pass. It was odd and was it him? Loggains? the WRs were open at times, why didn't he hit them?

The Titans owner has made some (not brash but people act like they are) statements where players need to be worth what they're paid, held accountable etc. He wasn't choosing who stays but he wanted his personnel folks doing that. Not long after word came along CJ would either have to take a pay cut or be cut because he wasn't worth 8 mil. Also that Locker was not being offered an extension to be there in 2015. He's on the roster for 2014, but ....lots of thoughts come from the team saying they will not be offering an extension.

(The GM and) Whisenhunt has as close to a blank slate as one could get without expansion.

2 WRs under contract for next year. Only Locker at QB and for one year.

CJ probably gone, fine/normal depth in Greene and Jackie Battle.

He can get his RB, his QB, and if Hunter isn't a #1, he can get his WR too.

They have two older tackles that are very clearly a step down and used to be excellent, but people have discussed them leaving, see what the new coach thinks etc.

The defense is similar.

There's some large turnover happening in Tenn.

I dont think Mike Munchak should have been hired in the first place. Decent coordinator maybe but not head coaching material to me.
He was never a coordinator and he was one of the best OL coaches.

Since Grimm was supposedly following Whisenhunt in several articles weeks ago, I'm going to guess that still happens.

The loss of Munchak and Matthews will be large (50? years with the franchise) but Grimm would sure be a welcome sight for linemen.

Detroit = :moneybag:

Tennessee = :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

This is about money IMO, I think Detroit has a set amount that they are willing to go and maybe they don't feel they need to pay extra with what they have in place to convince a potential coach to come there. Maybe the guy Detroit ultimately desires is still coaching in the final 4 teams left in the playoffs. Maybe Whisenhunt demanded they make a decision and they said, sorry but we gotta interview Dan Quinn first and Whisenhunt felt like he needed to lock up something instead of playing the wait and see game and then be stuck staring at possibly Cleveland.

I don't think TN is a dream job, lot of building there but Whis took AZ to the SB!!! What else do you need on a resume for goodness sake? A team so inept so awful that outside of that little run for 2-3 years I can never remember them being relevant. Not when they were in St Louis with Neil Lomax, nothing spectacular when Buddy Ryan tried to turn them into Desert Storm, nothing terrific in the Jake Plummer era, this team never had any success. I give Whisenhunt a lot of credit and kudos for showcasing his coaching abilities. I know folks might not agree with what he did in 2011 and 2012 but I think AZ let a lot of those SB guys walk, then Warner retired and it just never got itself back to what it had the first couple seasons he was there.

I expect Tennessee to quickly become relevant again. Not sure what he wants to do at QB but I also believe he thinks he can work with Locker already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. The Titans are prolonging the inevitable by holding onto Locker. They should try to start again with another qb with a new coach.

Whisenhunt did well with QBs he inherited in PIT, ARI and SD, but was unable to develop one in his first stint as a HC after Warner retired, which was his undoing and led to his downfall. If it isn't Locker (and Fitzpatrick doesn't seem to have a lot of upside), maybe he makes a move for one in free agency or even the draft? They do have the 1.11 pick I think, but it is possible three or four QBs are gone already, so maybe a QB like Murray, Mettenberg, Boyd, McCarron, Fales, etc. day two or three?

I do think if he could stay healthy, Locker could have upside, but he would need to be more consistent as a big step towards improvement. Is he returning from a lisfranc injury?

Not holding my breath, but perhaps Tyler Wilson will show something positive this time around. Titans signed him to a 3 year contract in December.

Whisenhunt did well with QBs he inherited in PIT, ARI and SD, but was unable to develop one in his first stint as a HC after Warner retired, which was his undoing and led to his downfall. If it isn't Locker (and Fitzpatrick doesn't seem to have a lot of upside), maybe he makes a move for one in free agency or even the draft? They do have the 1.11 pick I think, but it is possible three or four QBs are gone already, so maybe a QB like Murray, Mettenberg, Boyd, McCarron, Fales, etc. day two or three?

I do think if he could stay healthy, Locker could have upside, but he would need to be more consistent as a big step towards improvement. Is he returning from a lisfranc injury?
There is Tyler Wilson under contract but I believe they will look at a lower tier guy in the draft as well - if they do that it will spell the end for one of Fitzpatrick or Locker. Cutting Fitzpatrick will save cap but if Locker is not healthy in the off season you only have Rusty Smith and Tyler Wilson to install a new offense to, which doesn't seem smart. Locker underwent surgery Nov 21st and it was stated then that there had been no surprises and that there was a 5-6 month recovery period. That would take him right up to the OTAs.

With the FAs out there I am not sure the Titans want to go that way

There is Tyler Wilson under contract but I believe they will look at a lower tier guy in the draft as well - if they do that it will spell the end for one of Fitzpatrick or Locker. Cutting Fitzpatrick will save cap but if Locker is not healthy in the off season you only have Rusty Smith and Tyler Wilson to install a new offense to, which doesn't seem smart. Locker underwent surgery Nov 21st and it was stated then that there had been no surprises and that there was a 5-6 month recovery period. That would take him right up to the OTAs.

wilson was signed to a futures contract in december, I forgot that.

Smith is a free agent.

Fitz' contract was up, there's no cutting.

This may have come down to preferring to live in Nashville over Detroit. I believe he was an assistant at Vanderbilt at some point in his career and liked the city.

I thought the same thing,but when you really look at it, aside from whether or not he was offered more money to go to Tenn,

1) seriously, who wants to move to Detroit?

2) Aaron Rodgers is in your division

3) Cutler , the Bears WR's , Forte are in your division ( Marshall and Jeffery)

4) ADP is in your division

or

Houston, Jax, Indy in your division, you've helped coach your SD team to a victory in Indy in 2013, so you already know the blueprint to beating the Colts - run the ball.

you have a great RB in CJ, an up-n-coming WR in Kendall Wright, high draft picks, many quality QB's in this year's draft, decent defense, etc..

while Detroit looks like it has more weapons, it has nothing to show for them, and Matt Stafford doesn't look like a QB you can win with..it's a brutally tough division, and as long as Rodgers plays, you'll never get past him.

I think Whisenhunt has a clearer path to winning, and the postseason, in a division that is rife with teams stuck in rebuilding mode..

Seems like they should give Locker one more chance and bring in someone like Schaub as a backup. They're not winning the super bowl next year anyway and they invested a top 10 pick in him. He's not Blaine Gabbert.

Maybe he didn't want to move his family to a scooby-doo ghost town.
Right. This is real life, not fantasy football. Would much prefer to live in Nashville.
Have either of you ever lived in Detroit or its surrounding suburbs?
Suburbs of Nashville are easily as good if not better.

imagine this conversation with your wife.

Honey we live in SD, I really wanna be a head coach again, I got offers from Detroit and tennessee.

Detroit? Yes dear,

Nashville please

Personally, I think it’s the ego thing for Whisenhunt. They have some decent pieces in place as far as WR, OL and defense. Locker was improving last year before he go hurt. Maybe he thinks he is the coach that can take Locker to the next level. And if that happens and he can make a playoff run, he’ll be a genius.

imagine this conversation with your wife.

Honey we live in SD, I really wanna be a head coach again, I got offers from Detroit and tennessee.

Detroit? Yes dear,

Nashville please
I picture that conversation happening with everyone is who possibly moving to Detroit from anywhere in the US. Honey, lets go anywhere but there.

The NFC North is a much tougher division than the AFC South. I'd rather duke it out with Luck every year instead of the Packers.
Just what I was thinking. In the NFC North, you have two really good teams to contend with, whereas in the the AFC South, you have one. I also think the assignments will be a little different...in Detroit it is, "fix a winner" and in Tenn it is "build a winner"...he certainly will have more flexibility in Tenn.

Right. This is real life, not fantasy football. Would much prefer to live in Nashville.
Haven't lived there but have visited for work. Personally comes down to weather for me and would much prefer living south if given the choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like they should give Locker one more chance and bring in someone like Schaub as a backup. They're not winning the super bowl next year anyway and they invested a top 10 pick in him. He's not Blaine Gabbert.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
Locker may not be Gabbert, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can win with him long term. At least the Titans pick high enough to give themselves a realistic shot at one of the top 4 QBs in this draft if they so choose. Coaches get on the hotseat pretty quickly in this league. Just ask Chud. If Whisenhunt feels that Locker isn't a franchise QB, why risk losing his 1st year with him?

As a whole, I really like the hiring for the Titans offense. Whisenhunt has a pretty impressive resume on the offensive side of the ball.

Why don't you go ahead and finish your thought here.

I'd go to Detroit instead of the Titans. Calvin and Stafford, some great pieces on defense looks more appealing than dealing with Britt and the poor talent down south.

I'd go to Detroit instead of the Titans. Calvin and Stafford, some great pieces on defense looks more appealing than dealing with Britt and the poor talent down south.
Britt is a free agent. He won't be resigned by the Titans.

Britt has his problems, but so does Suh, who knows when he will make the next bonehead play.

QB, WR and DL is the only positions I would prefer the Lions over Titans. And WR is only because of Calvin. Titans might have more overall depth at that position.

I would also prefer to be in the AFC South over the NFC North. Easier competition most years.

Besides Warner, Whiz didn't do much for the Zona QBs, even tossed Leinart away, so I'm not giving Locker much of a bump. Fitzpatrick performed just fine under the last regime.

:lol:

He's a good coach when the pieces are there, but he has NO clue how to evaluate or develop a QB and holds wierd grudges against players.

wilson was signed to a futures contract in december, I forgot that.

Smith is a free agent.

Fitz' contract was up, there's no cutting.
As far as I can see Fitz is under contract for 2014, for 3.25m (costing only .875m to cut). My point is just one of Wilson, Fitz or Locker will likely be gone if they invest in a rookie qb, round 3 or above. If Locker is healthy on schedule it won't be him.

Users who are viewing this thread