What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

White Nationalists march on University of Virginia (1 Viewer)

I think you are giving him too much credit. He didn't condemn the white supremacists. He just said, "Stop the violence." He's probably talking about the counter-protestors. That's what Richard Spencer thinks:
You're reading in to this.  He condemned the hate coming out here.  

And I just cruised past Fox and saw David Duke.  Seriously, David ####### Duke. I vividly recall my first vote that I cast was for Edwin Edwards over that MFer.  I wish he'd crawl back into whatever hole he's been in and stay there.  

Horrible, can see a woman thrown over a car. There looks to be many serious injuries. A witness said the car was going about 40 right through protestors and then drove off, cops at the scene made no attempt to stop it. 
Based on the videos I saw, there wasn't anything anybody on the scene could have done.  The driver plowed into the crowd at high speed and then slammed it into reverse and got the #### out of dodge before anybody could react.  And he would have just run over anybody who tried to stop him anyway.

You're reading in to this.  He condemned the hate coming out here.  

And I just cruised past Fox and saw David Duke.  Seriously, David ####### Duke. I vividly recall my first vote that I cast was for Edwin Edwards over that MFer.  I wish he'd crawl back into whatever hole he's been in and stay there.  
Unless I missed something, he wrote "We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for."

You are assuming the hate he is referencing is the white supremacists. I hope that's true, but considering who is in his administration and how he has behaved in his life, I can't assume that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the videos I saw, there wasn't anything anybody on the scene could have done.  The driver plowed into the crowd at high speed and then slammed it into reverse and got the #### out of dodge before anybody could react.  And he would have just run over anybody who tried to stop him anyway.
If anyone got their tag number, they are in a lot of trouble. I wouldn't mind seeing someone take a crowbar to the driver's kneecaps.

That was definitely intentional. A video I saw showed he or she excelerating through a relatively clear street downhill directly into the crowd. 

Unless I missed something, he wrote "We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for."

You are assuming the hate he is referencing is the white supremacists. I hope that's true, but considering who is in his cabinet and how he has behaved in his life, I can't assume that.
We'll find out in a half hour when he isn't limited to 140 characters.   He's going to have to be incredibly blunt for you to not read your own overwhelming biases into his statements, so let's hope he is.

Horrible, can see a woman thrown over a car. There looks to be many serious injuries. A witness said the car was going about 40 right through protestors and then drove off, cops at the scene made no attempt to stop it. 
First I've heard of this :sadbanana

Which crowd was run into?

If anyone got their tag number, they are in a lot of trouble. I wouldn't mind seeing someone take a crowbar to the driver's kneecaps.
Well, the driver is facing multiple counts of (at least) attempted murder, so yeah I would say they are in trouble.  

That was definitely intentional. A video I saw showed he or she excelerating through a relatively clear street downhill directly into the crowd. 
Let's call this what it is. Terrorism. A group of people gather, dressed in flap jackets and carrying guns, followed by one of these people driving their car through a crowded street. But I have a feeling that the word terrorism will not be used by the administration or certain media groups.

Well, the driver is facing multiple counts of (at least) attempted murder, so yeah I would say they are in trouble.  
I sometimes tend to point out the obvious. 

That said, what possesses a person to do that? They have to know that they're not getting away with it, and that's a heavy thing to live with. I've never been mad enough at someone I disagree with to decide attempted vehicular manslaughter was a good idea.

No way it could have been prevented. I'm just basing it on an interview with someone on the scene. He said police were there, saw and didn't respond. 

The attitude o the alt right sites is that Antifa was not highlighted and condemned for marches and protests in California to the degree the marches in Virginia are getting.  So, they are using that as a rallying cry to grow their movement.

Yeah, let's compare some stupid protesters to guys flying airplanes into buildings.  Classy move, as usual.
I wasn't comparing them just pointing out you may work with one of these toothless goobers. I'm not running into somebody Taliban when I head down to Home Depot this afternoon.

Yeah, let's compare some stupid protesters to guys flying airplanes into buildings.  Classy move, as usual.
Stupid protesters? Last night, white men were carrying around tiki torches. While it looks funny, those torches represent a history of intimidation, of burning down black peoples homes and churches. Today, these same people are marching with guns, which is also an act of intimidation. And then one of these people plows their car through a crowd of people (sound familiar?). These are not stupid protesters. They are domestic terrorists.

ter·ror·ism

ˈterəˌrizəm/

noun

the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

This will just spread from here as the alt-right newssites sway more minds.  By 2018 we should be seeing marches and protests by these groups in several states, civil unrest, and like war.

This was just two days ago:

Wednesday, Gorka appeared on Breitbart News Daily, the radio show of his former employer. Gorka responded to criticism stemming from a previous media appearance on MSNBC where he said “[t]here’s no such thing as a lone wolf” attack. The concept, according to Gorka, was “invented by the last administration to make Americans stupid.”

The idea of a “lone wolf attack,” Gorka says, is a ruse to point blame away from al Qaeda and ISIS when “[t]here has never been a serious attack or a serious plot that was unconnected from ISIS or al Qaeda.” Critics were quick to point to the example of Timothy McVeigh, who was not connected to ISIS or al Qaeda and killed 168 people when he bombed a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995.

The fact that they ran into the crowd of innocent people not protesting makes it positive to me that this was done intentionally to incite this more between both sides.  Personally if there was any justice the person would have driven into the alt right protestors then into the leftist protestors and then back and worth

Counter-protesters
Thank you. Did not want to assume

FWIW, this is a dangerous slippery slope and sadly, an effective tactic.

While on one end of the spectrum you have the blatant in your face rally kkk'ers, the others are your false narrative, Obama and the left do it too, justify it crowd. Eventually, you punch someone enough times they strike back... and if that happens, the same folks here and elsewhere then try to show their utterly false equivalency is not so false and the core message of hate all the more justified.

I bring this up because there is a tipping point... and those who stand for nationalism first and nation second... and fellow country third if at all... want to spread the corwardly fear to get just a few folks on the fence into their camp, now that theres more 'justification'

I say this, because I've witnessed such a slide in my own lifetime in Israel. Yes, different circumstances... but the same underlying factors, nationalism, racism, economic fears, power politics playing everyone down the line.  When even some supporters of peace were convinced to come to the side of more violence (by the gov't clamping down to incite more violence mind you) at the same time that some actual doves just lost faith, the balance tilted.

The nationalists won. The extreme tactics continued, further inciting violence - ALL the while a very similar patter occurred on the Palestinian side... the self fulfilling prophecy that violence and closed mindedness begets more of both.

Now, this is hardly an analog, but I see a lot of the same forces at play here. And if the right, and their enablers of false equivalence and justification eventually chip away and are successful in their disgusting campaign, it's now potentially a generation, two or three before the voice of humanity can win back the day (if ever). We aren't there yet...

But only vigilance can overcome this cowardice of fear and hate.

Users who are viewing this thread